MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

“...licking a 9 volt....”. :coffeescreen:

That really tickled me. Today MIL wanted me to refill her long electronic matches she uses to light her candle. One wouldn’t fill, so me being me, I took it apart. Then went to click it....  ZAP!  My whole body jolted. Mom looked at me surprised, sooooo I tried to show her what I did and zapped myself, again.  She just shook her head in disbelief. 

Congratulations Jeepers!

We’ve used up our preps many times through the years, then, rebuilt them back up. With us, we found our holes and made adjustments, for the next time it happens. 

Today, I had a nice morning, rearranged Mom’s sprinklers in the backyard to cover areas that were being missed. Came in and we watched the gnome movies. But, her DSL/broadband keep going out. I tried my tablet and got a notice to call, when I called, her phone went dead. :shakinghead:  AT&T put her land line on her modem. Meaning, if the power goes out and she has an emergency, she will not be able to call 911. I actually told the telephone technician that they would be responsible for killing my 87 year old Mother!  A service technician will be here tomorrow. I was furious and am very concerned about that situation. I will need to check into it, to see if I can put it back to a normal land line, without incurring extra monthly charges. 

We we ended the day watching Live PD. 

• Like 3

Ah, Live PD.  I keep yelling at the TV and M keeps telling me to zip it.  Reminds me of my working days, especially the verbally resisting people....its fun to finally be able to tell them off, even if its only on TV. LOL.  I had to bite my tongue at work quite often....

We are getting used to rising earlier so we can go outside and work in the slightly cooler morning hours.  We must be getting acclimated to the change in weather temperatures - 84 degrees now feels comparatively cool.  But we remain vigilant, and keep an eye on our critters, too, especially the puppies who are too young to know to come in when they get hot.

Pulled out the remains of the lettuce, radishes, and kohlrabi, too.  They are bolted, and the broccoli re-growth is getting pretty spindly so it will probably get pulled.  Will re-plant in the fall for an attempt at wintering over.

I'm disappointed in the potatoes - the vines are dying back, and only 1-2 spuds under each one, if any.  Our prepper friends said the garbage can potatoes did not produce for them when they tried it.  Hmmm.  Need some research as to why - 

On the other hand, the tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, winter squash, watermelons and sweet potatoes are taking care of business.  Every other day we get a respectable picking of tomatoes and cucumbers, enough to make a couple salads.  The cherry tomatoes are taking off - I plant those especially for sharing since most folks like to nibble them immediately.

The bush beans are pouting (too hot) and not producing; the pole beans are trying to grow higher than their fence, and just starting to produce.  They are so much easier to [pick than the bush type, I'm glad we put some in.  The collards & kale are growing, just not really fast, but they are for fall crops anyway.  Ditto the brussels sprouts.

I am taking notes this first year; it will probably take a while before we figure out the different ways to garden here (zone 7) versus in zone 4.  I'm considering shade devices to extend the spring growing season a bit into the warmer months.  I read somewhere that we actually have  six seasons not 4 all with differing weather patterns and crop reactions.  The learning is fun.  

I've almost finished my new foraging calendar/cookbook for the southeast.  (it was eye opening to find out we have manatees in Georgia - and the recipes for them are interesting.  They keep referring to them as 'cows of the sea' in the books I've checked.  Of course, they are seacoast forage meats, but we have plenty of other stuff inland to keep things interesting for quite a while!)  I've also contacted the trappers assn down here and they accept our northern trapper classes for licensing down here.  Bit by bit we are putting together our prep-stead know-how and skills adapted to the change in location.  A day-trip to Alabama tomorrow, so M can see her VA contact.  She is trying for VA disability and from what he says will probably get some to supplement her meager social security.  That would be wonderful she is looking forward to it, as it would lessen her dependence on my income quite a bit.  Of course, I could no longer claim her as a dependent on my taxes, but that would not be a bad thing.....

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

For Jeepers  :hug3::hug3::hug3:

Cuz moving is OVERWHELMING and EXHAUSTING....

But dang gal!  That place sounds really good.  Bummer about no basement tho.  No fireplace....get a woodburning stove for emergencies....being in :frozen: midwest.  And close to DS/DIL/GRANDSON!!!!!  :wub:    

MtRider  :pray:  all goes way easier than she thinks it might..... ;)   

• Like 2
On 6/22/2018 at 11:51 PM, Annarchy said:

“...licking a 9 volt....”. :coffeescreen:

That really tickled me. Today MIL wanted me to refill her long electronic matches she uses to light her candle. One wouldn’t fill, so me being me, I took it apart. Then went to click it....  ZAP!  My whole body jolted. Mom looked at me surprised, sooooo I tried to show her what I did and zapped myself, again.  She just shook her head in disbelief. 

Hubby: Good to know, you could turn those things into tasers!

• Like 3

Reality is starting to sink in. I made an offer on a house, it was accepted the next day; on a 20 year old house I've never seen. What could go wrong?  :24:

Good thing I trust my son and DIL. I Google checked around and there are 15 other 1 acre houses in the little subdivision, it's 6 miles to the nearest little town (pop. less than 2,000 ) and 11 miles from the bigger town where the baby lives.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Everybody seems pretty busy around here...I guess I am getting old and lazy and HOT.

Good luck on the house Jeepers!  It sure sounds good.

I am glad your MIL got good health news Annarchy,  That must be a relief.

Today is DH's 81st birthday.  We have a blood doctor appt in the big city today.  If we get done at a reasonable hour I plan on taking him to a late lunch at his favorite restaurant.  It is a very nice meat and 3 so he can get his favorite chicken fried steak, hash brown casserole, creamed corn and strawberry pretzel salad.

DH had a bad heart episode Friday night.  He really thought he was gonna die.   Fortunately it cleared up fast and we didn't go to the ER. His will to live is starting to waiver a bit for the first time. The poor guy has been through so much. He worries about leaving me behind. What a sweetie. He always worried about this a little because he is alot older than  me, but he is worth fighting for.

It's gonna be 92 today but it is very humid so it will feel worse.  I hope the dog days aren't here to stay so early in the season.

We are still waiting on a ripe full size tomato.  I have been picking the cherry maters for weeks but no big varieties yet.

Hang in there folks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

:pray: for you & your DH Momo. I hope he has a wonderful Birthday. Yes, it was an overwhelming relief to find out it wasn’t cancer. 

MIL got her modem replaced and the tech said the company will change her analogue lines to fiber optic in the next couple of months. The problem was her modem was “old”.  2 years is old. :rolleyes:

The trip home was light on traffic, thankfully. I could see dust in the air around Lordsburg from a distance, luckily it wasn’t that bad when I passed through. PTL. They had closed I-10 Friday night due to the dust storms in that area. 

Today is unpacking and a little cleaning while I do the laundry from the trip. 

• Confused 1

:hug3: to Momo.

We had 20-30 mph winds yesterday.  Enough grit in the air to sting the eyes, but not too bad as it wasn't really affecting visibility much.

Home for 3 days, then out of town again on Thursday for the weekend...then camping again the next weekend.  After that, I think our summer camping will be pretty much done unless hubby and I decide to go somewhere without the kids.

Happy Bday to MrMomo.  :pray: for his health improvements. 

I am FREEZING today.  After hail yesterday, we never did warm up.  The furnace actually turned on this morning....and it's set at about 55.  Yep, we went down in the 40's last nite.  What a weird year this has been.  ...I'll try to send some frosty air over towards Momos and The CGs  :frozen:

DH had to leave early today...his day off..to attend some "meeting".  At least he gets paid for travel, etc.  When he left quietly this morning, he didn't wake me up.  But the dog whining did.  She doesn't like her routine messed with... :buttercup:  So.....I get to feed this morning and I'd best get at it.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
typo due to cat tail across face
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
44 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

Happy Bday to MrMomo.  :pray: for his health improvements. 

I am FREEZING today.  After hail yesterday, we never did warm up.  The furnace actually turned on this morning....and it's set at about 55.  Yep, we went down in the 40's last nite.  What a weird year this has been.  ...I'll try to send some frosty air over towards Momos and The CGs  :frozen:

Is that what the cool breeze for half a second was?  :sSig_thankyou:

• Haha 1

It's a nice 74 degrees here today with a slight breeze. It's supposed to rain the middle of the week and then heat up later in the week. I plan to run some errands tomorrow before that happens. I still haven't done my blood work yet. I can't eat or drink (except water) the night before after 10:00pm and they are only there M-F until noon. Either I forget and drink something after 10:00pm or I'm not up and attem to shower and get ready before noon or more than likely I don't remember at all until it's too late to go. Need to schedule a mammogram yet too.

Earnest money arrived for the house already and I got an inspection set up for July 2nd. Son or DIL will have to be there for that. I suppose it will still go on if they can't get there. I need to check that out. The sellers are going to pay for a well inspection and have the septic checked and pumped out. At least I won't get moved in with a septic system full to the brim. I was sort of concerned about that.  :sEm_blush:

The inspection guy on the phone was very nice. They include a 45 day warrantee on everything they inspect after closing including appliances and a 5 year warrantee on the roof. The sellers are giving a 1 year home owners warrantee. So, hopefully I won't have to put out any more money until next summer for a fence etc. Hopefully.

One thing I really liked about the inspection company is they have a concierge (Their word. I had to look up spelling on that one) that will help me with setting up gas, lights, cable, phone and local reliable handymen etc. I guess it's kind of like the old time Welcome Wagon. Anyone remember the Welcome Wagon lady. I do! They always had a basket full of goodies when ever I moved.

I just spent an hour on the phone with D-ex. It just so happened when I agreed to the house he was in state visiting son. He saw the outside of the place and said I 'done good'. Alrighty then. :curtsey:   LOL

I'm going to scour Pinterest tonight to find some moving lists to print out. No list = No action on my part. :sigh:

Oh, and I talked to the realtor over there and she said they went ahead with the open house Sunday and 8 people were interested in making an offer. Whew! I got in under the wire by 2 days on that one. I have signed contract. 

• Like 3

Happy birthday, Mr. MOMO. Isn't growing old fun?  :0327:  Congrats on the house, Jeepers. The fun has only begun.  :whistling:  Our last move was 400 miles and two states away. I think we're done, as long as our health holds out. Can't seem to stop those birthday candles multiplying like rabbits. :imoksmiley:

I've always wanted to have paths in my garden. I started with a few four-foot wide veggie beds to see if I could conquer the sandy soil. I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't find any worms. No food in the soil. No worms. :grinning-smiley-044:   Now I rototill in LOTS of organic matter the first year and let the beds take care of themselves after that.  :hapydancsmil:

I talked DH into buying me a wood chipper for the tractor. He's been cutting down trees for firewood and leaving the tops EVERYWHERE on the homestead. The least he could do is buy me a 'cleaner-upper'.   :tapfoot:  After two weeks of chipping and spreading, I think I finally have the wood chip paths I've always wanted. See photo below.   :happy0203:

P1030934.JPG

• Like 7

Happy birthday to MrMomo! Hoping his health improves.

Jeepers, things are moving fast on the house! The warranty sounds great - I have never gotten one via an inspection.

It was a lovely day today. But my energy level was lower. 

• Like 1

Happy Birthday to Mr. Momo!  I will be praying for his health.

Plenty of lists on Pinterest Jeepers!  I had a board titled "moving" but I think I deleted it.

Bought 30 ears of corn to can and found this morning that they gave me 40!  Got 14 pints and 2 quart freezer bags.

I got a callback this evening from a lady starting a special needs/ hospice very close to my house (maybe a block and a half away).  I've been looking for a place locally to volunteer so I hope this is it.  God knows the desires of my heart!

Did one load of laundry today besides the corn and that was about it.  Saw a funny on facebook  saying that it was officially the first day of summer except in the deep south where it has been summer since 1788!  With the heat and humidity, that's how it feels!

• Haha 2
16 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Jeepers, things are moving fast on the house! The warranty sounds great - I have never gotten one via an inspection.

I've never known an inspection company to offer that much either. I picked them randomly and got lucky. The concierge service will be a big help too since I'll kinda be in the boonies and won't know who is who in the area. I've lived in that county before but on the east end of it. I'll be on the south end now. And that was about 30 years ago. Things have grown tremendously since then. The owners are giving me a 1 year home owners warrantee so hopefully I won't have any major expenses for at least a year after I get moved in.

Ya know, I honestly think this house was chosen by God. I've been looking for over a year. I looked EVERY day.  I'm not that picky. But there was always something majorly wrong with the places that couldn't be fixed or else they were in contingency by the time they were listed. Houses go very fast over there and single story's are even harder to find.

This house had been on the market for 2 weeks before I saw it. I found it on a different website. Son, DIL and D-ex really like it too. I made an offer and it was accepted the next day with no haggling. Got a nice inspection company, well water will be tested, septic pumped, It's been freshly painted with no picture nail holes in the walls, a blank slate yard except for a little fenced in garden area, and who knows what else I'll find.

Believe me, I'm not bragging! I just feel undeserving and am praising God for leading me, fearlessly along.

• Like 5

So glad your house is moving along, Jeepers!

Took DH's jeep to mechanic this morning and voted in run-off election.  Took pup to the Beauty Parlour.  While she was there, I picked up a shifter cable from another mechanic for DH.  Glad to be home!

• Like 3
On 6/25/2018 at 11:05 AM, Mt_Rider said:

I am FREEZING today.  After hail yesterday, we never did warm up. 

Well THAT'S no longer the case!  The porch thermometer JUST HIT 100*.  :faint3: 

We've been up here for over 20 yrs and it's NEVER HIT 100*.  Very rare to get into the 90's!  SHEEEEEESH.....I went out to check it twice! 

I'm in SHOCK! 

:unsure:  ....I'm also in big trouble if we lose power for any reason today.  WHICH IS WHY I'm such a big fan of Plan B.....for each situation that threatens harm.

Plan B for a situation that "NEVER HAPPENS UP HERE AT 9,000' IN THE ROCKIES" :grinning-smiley-044:  .....is the basement/garage.  It has no windows.  Finally got the big garage door sealed up pretty well.  Its 3/4ths under ground.  The front, above-ground portion, is shaded by the porch above.  If the power goes off, I'll be quickly heading down there.  My and dog.  Ancient cat {just turned 18 yrs} kinda likes the heat. 

Meanwhile, the load in the dryer down there can stay there til dark.  If the dog needs 'out', I have the gate to goat yard open so she can run in there if I just open back door.  I have no need to step one foot out either door.  I have mylar double sheet across the big south windows.  It's actually an emergency tube tent made of mylar....and it's working great to withstand the heat there.  Other South and West windows covered.  Dog sprawled on living room floor.  All six square feet of it.  :rolleyes: 

100*.....just dropped to 89* cuz the afternoon clouds are covering the sun.....temporarily.  They're spotty today, not a blanket.  In high country Colorado, temperature is always about solar gain

MtRider  ......amazing sight to see....but I hope I never see 100* EVER AGAIN!  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If I was full time in your temperatures....I'd live the night life too!  :knary:

It didn't stay at 100 for more than half hour.  Afternoon is our cloudy times and gradually it got down into the 80s again.  Pffft!  Like 80's is a good thing for me?  Not!  But a whole lot more survivable than 100.  By feeding time just before dark, rain clouds threatened and wind came up.   No rain/hail happened tho.  PM feeding was cool enough but I hurried to take a cool shower when I got inside anyway. 

At least our night tems are always nice and cool to sleep.  :offtobed:

MtRider  .....hope our 'monsoon' season begins sooooon. 

• Like 3