MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

Ya know, I'm just not going to take it any more. I haven't lived 66 years for someone half my age to call me a "You People' because they can't do their job.

Well for pete's sake!  I'm glad you fried her toes.  There is no reason any patient needs to be explaining the doctor's orders to anyone....not your pay grade, so to speak.  World is so wonderfully electronic for "quick and easy" communications......and yet it's failing further and further to actually process "meaning"....apparently.  :sigh:   :hug3:     See....we can communicate quite well with smilies....  

OK....RE: Maui   :wacko:

An update on our kids/GrKids and the hurricane-that-won't-end....  We're so thankful it's at least down to a strong Cat 2...from the Cat 5 it had been.  But it's travel speed has slowed to 5mph.  It's still traveling northward right towards the cluster of islands  of Maui County: Lanai, Molokai, and Maui.  Eventually is supposed to turn westward and not actually make landfall on any of those islands.  So far kids have only had very light rain occasionally.....so far.

During last night, two brush fires started up on the west side of Maui.  Our kids on other side.   Unbelievably, the hurricane evacuation shelter had to be evacuated due to one of the brush fires.  A lot of homes crammed into that area evacuated in the night too. They battled to save the centuries-old high school, middle school [and hurricane shelter], and one of the elementary schools.  Some dear friends of ours texted to DD2 while we spoke to her on phone.  They were safely evacuated during the nite.  The hurricane winds were arriving before the rain and there is talk of a power line being blown down...as cause of fires?  Thankfully, some rain has finally begun on the west side.  The other fire began during the night up hill from the hotel district. 
All is causing severe chaos, esp. during last night.  Pics on news are horrifying...as all fire pics are.  :(  West side of Maui faces the oncoming hurricane so it has to deal with that too.  Plus they lost power [due to fire...wind?] on west side and cell service is spotty.  Phone trouble might be merely a sudden overload on system due to the fire panic.  DD2 was getting texts from friends on "other side" as we talked to her by phone...telling of their status.

Pray for safety from the winds, fires, floods [Big Island is getting torrents of rain]....and just the tension and chaos.  Pray for peace for people as they wait....

Kids have some windows and back sliding door still open.  Plywood at the ready.  [budding preppers we have here!]  :happy0203:  So they are not in a dark cave as they wait.  And they have air circulation.  She also told us today that they have a generator....for the food in large freezer and their fridge.  If they can keep any flooding out of the garage where the freezer sits...  Predicting 30-40" of rain in some areas - DD2 hoped they were talking about Big Island!!! 

MtRider  ....thanks so much for prayers  :grouphug:
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
20 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Twilight, it was so clear. I think it as happened to me 3-4 times in the last couple of months where I woke up answering someone out loud. Odd feeling.

we 2, I remember your barrel set up. It is a thing of beauty .Praying for your eye surgery on Tuesday :pray:

Thanks Jeeps...we added another "decorator" barrel on the front side of the house where my "wild" garden is.  We picked it up at a garage sale about a month ago...for 15$ :hapydancsmil:

• Like 2

Visited a couple of garage sales this morning and picked up a small oscillating fan that I can use in the kitchen along with the box fan in the living room, blowing into the kitchen...for pressure canning.  Price? 1$.  Also at the 2nd one, we picked up 6 cases of canning jars with loose fitting rings...for 2$ a case.  I'll clean them up for jarring up my potatoes (no I didn't get them done today!) instead of using new ones.  Every time we visit one of our favorite Mennonite stores, I pick up extra lids and rings.  During gardening season they're a bit scarce...unless you want to pay the high dollar for the name brand at WM where the rings and lids have been pressure sealed and are now "used" lids.  Always remove them and scratch an "X" on them and then use them for vacuum sealing.  Then made a quick stop at Aldi's to make sure we have everything we need for a few days after the eye surgery...just in case.  I guess we call it "being prepared"...LOL 

• Like 4

Hurricane Lane IS NOW CAT 1...and winding down fast!  :amen:  :woohoo:   :amen:

Ahem...but one of the 3 fires that started on Maui's western land mass is only 40% contained...1500 acres in size.  :(   At least the containment area is near the homes...the area of fire not contained is heading up into the mountains.  The other two are 100% contained...one in hills above Ma'alaea Harbor....only 30 acres.  The other up hill from the Kaanapali hotel district, was contained at 800 acres.  Maui is so very dry right now and really needs more of the hurrican's rain.  But not like it's been happening on Big Island.  Oye!  Big flooding going on there!  Pray for one burn victim from last nite,  transported to Oahu.  :pray:

Today, I've been mostly monitoring the Maui situations.  So far, our family is quite safe and not getting any of the affects of either the fires on other side of island [other than we have friends there] or  the hurricane that could help out with a moderate amount of rain all over Maui.  Praying for that.

Property managers dumped mid-size rocks into 2 of 3 crevasses in our driveway today.  The other was still filled in by us....but I offered to empty it with a hose so they could get the rocks in there for stability.  :lol: "Takes a lot less to make the crevasse appear than it does to fill it up!"  They declined the offer but more work on damaged driveway will commence when they get phone company out here.  They need to see what to do about that phone line...in the way of bobcat work for the rest of the flooded driveway.    :wacko:  

Hope to take my mom shopping tomorrow...today just didn't work.

MtRider  ....weird day....has been a definitely weird/tough week!  :grouphug:  Thanks y'all!

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4

Yes... :pray: for WE2's surgery!!

DH and I took my mom shopping...3 stores...we're all TIRED.  DH fell asleep at 10:30pm - very early for us.

MtRider  :offtobed:  ....been a rough couple of weeks!  But all is well...  :amen:

• Like 2

Today, I got a quick call from my dr. apologising for the lady on the phones attitude.  Even though it wasn't my doctors fault, she was pretty angry too. She gave me a patient rep number and said it was important to call! I will!

I got the results from my knee and back xrays. The knee didnt show very much. Some arthritis. Not sure how that can be because they hurt like crazy coming down stairs.

She said the back showed a lot of arthritis but fortunately no major disk issues like in my neck. They want to start physical therapy soon but I want to wait until I get the scans for the kidneys and ovaries. Sigh. Might as well wait for a proper diagnosis. We'll see after the scans. I'm just hoping it is arthritis and not kidney or ovaries. 

• Like 3

Whew...It's a hot one today. It's nearly 8:30pm and still 87.  I had some errands to run and two of the stores didn't have the air on. Clerks were complaining and customers in line were fanning themselves. I can't take the heat but I barely noticed. I never know what to think of myself from one day to the next.

I should have mowed. My shrub bed is full of thistles again. I sprayed them with a salt, vinegar, dish wash soap mix. We'll see if it works. The deer have eaten some of the shrubs to the nubs. They pulled two other shrubs completely out of the ground and flung them into the yard. Between the rabbits and the deer I can't have nice things.  :grinning-smiley-044: 

I called the patient advocate at the hospital to complain. She was appalled. I told her I didn't want Misty fired but a little sensitive training might be in order. She agreed.

Not much happening otherwise. I've been making up some to-do lists so I'll probably work on those. Back hurts so a shower and the Kindle will wind up my day.

• Like 4
On 8/25/2018 at 12:13 PM, Twilight said:

Mrs WE2 wishing you great results after your cataract surgery!

Thanks Twilight.  I'm not too jittery now that I understand more about what's going to transpire.  Probably the most difficult for me will be sleeping wnted pith a clear/patch over the eye, that will be taped to my face.  So not looking forward to that. 

Edited by The WE2's
On 8/26/2018 at 1:12 AM, Mt_Rider said:

Yes... :pray: for WE2's surgery!!

DH and I took my mom shopping...3 stores...we're all TIRED.  DH fell asleep at 10:30pm - very early for us.

MtRider  :offtobed:  ....been a rough couple of weeks!  But all is well...  :amen:

Thanks Mt_R...  I'm not too jittery now that I understand more about what's going to transpire.  Probably the most difficult for me will be sleeping wnted pith a clear/patch over the eye, that will be taped to my face.  So not looking forward to that. 

• Like 1

Finished up the last of the potatoes today.  Jarred up 9 pints yesterday and 9 pints today.  They say "a pint is a pound" and usually it is...except when you cut your potatoes in chunks! LOL Wanna see?  Needed to get them done up before tomorrow...don't want to be cutting potatoes with sight that may be off until they work on the right eye.  Also got all the laundry done so I won't have to worry about that until next week.  AND...the transmission is in my van!  He's tying up a few loose ends (checking the air conditioner and cleaning it up inside.  Guess his cats got in there and "puked"? (probably something else) so his wife had to wash the comforter etc.  Hope it didn't ruin the gel memory foam mattress!  Anyway...guess he'll wait on us now because I probably won't be driving for a few days or more?  

101_0827.JPG

• Like 5

Hubby cut the back of my hair and did a great job!  I've let it grow VERY long with no layering an no bangs, but it needed the ends trimmed off and leveled across the back where the previous layers had grown out.  Love being "wash and wear"...I use my blow dryer but in a life changing event it can air dry itself! :happy0203:  I did crochet myself a couple of "snoods" that I can put it up off my neck etc. when I'm needing to get it out of the way...cooking etc. Guess we're a pair...I cut his and he trims mine! :24:

• Like 4

Taters look yummy!

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow friend!  :hug3:

I just told my son tonight that I need my hair cut bad. It grows fast and it's so thick and heavy on my neck. I never seem to have a hair clip handy when I need one. It was miserable today.

• Like 2

:lol:  WE2, you're brave and trusting.  DH kept offering to cut my hair.....and then he'd laugh!  :behindsofa:   At least I found someone to do a simple cut in a village I can actually get to sometimes.  It has been sooo much easier!  

Sounds like you're getting everything done before surgery!  :thumbs: 

We took my mom shopping to 3 stores on Sat. and today...  :faint3:  I made breakfast....went down to switch laundry and start the 2nd load....property manager was here to meet the telelphone folks about our driveway repair and their phone line in the way. [ She waited in our driveway from 8-5pm AND THEY NEVER SHOWED!  That's despicable!  Rude they gave an EIGHT HOUR ESTIMATE in the first place...and then not to show at all?  She'll give 'em what-for! ] ....anyway, I was still in basement discussing some things with DH and J when my functioning absolutely gave out.  Between one step and the next....dead stopped....can't move without push/tug and help with balance.  Ack!  I hate it when it does that.  DH got in front of me and 'towed' me to the 15 steps.  Then pushed from behind as I laboriously moved each step with right leg just not cooperating.  So I spent most of the day in bed.  Up and down a bit within house using 2 canes .....just to try to keep things moving....  That's MS Second Day Affect.  Probably better tomorrow. 

Glad you protested, Jeepers.  People being paid are not actually free to be brutal on work time.  Hey, what a concept.  <_<

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3

Surgery went excellently!  Took about 3 hours total, 30 min. waiting for all the different eye drop applications to work, another 30 minutes in a gurney waiting for "my turn"...rolled me into that white and stainless steel room, scooted up to where they wanted me, the nurse "here we go sweetie" ... and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery cubicle with hubby at my side and them offering me juice, water, pop or coffee and crackers.  I opted for water and coffee!  Another 20 minutes or so and I was walking out the door with night shades on! LOL  No real discomfort other than using eye drops a couple of times during the day...and trying to see one way with the operated on eye (so old lens doesn't work!) and the old eye trying to see it's way :24:  Did run the vacuum today VERY carefully and collected the dishes for once a day washing. Just a rinse and scrub with the brush then set them in one side of the sink until after supper.  Tuesday will be the right eye's turn.  I don't need to wear these old glasses except for the bifocals, so after Tuesday I'll need to wait post op for a new set of lenses with bifocals...will pick up a pair of readers from the $Tree to use temporarily. 

• Like 6

The mechanic called about my van.  It's pretty much done...but he really has hung us out to dry...says we need to come up with 2400$ instead of the 900$ as he "estimated".  So...not sure how we'll handle it since I'm having to pay my co-pay on the eye surgeries etc.  Was up most of the night tarrying before the Lord, wondering about how He's going to work things out for my good.

• Sad 4

So glad your surgery went so well we2!

That 'mechanic' sure is a piece of work! Especially considering how long he has kept the van. That's a pretty big difference in price. Tell him you want to see the receipts for the parts.  :motz_6:

I agree with Ambergris. In some states they aren't allowed to do any added repairs without your permission. I know here, I've told guys to go ahead and fix whatever is wrong and they wouldn't do it without calling me first.

• Like 2

:pray: for you, We2.  Your description of that mechanic and all the time he took fixing it, really makes me wonder.... I agree with Jeepers, make him produce detailed receipts. 

We went night kayaking yesterday. I got up around 11:30 pm and we got things packed in the truck. As we were about to go, DH went to get something he’d forgot. The De-oh-geez were howling in the house. Yeah, I bet the neighbors just loved to hear that at midnight. :ph34r:

The dust was so bad, the car lights coming at us, were halos of reddish brown. :yuk:  By the time we got to the lake, the dust was minimal. DH took a flashed picture of our kayaks and the flash made the dust in the air look like snow.  

We shoved off and worked against the wind. Around a couple of bends in the shoreline, the wind completely stopped. Amen.  

We headed to the area where no motorcraft are allowed, and DH spoke up and said, “Turn around!”  He was in the midst of an overgrown waterweed raft, struggling to get the weed off his oar, while attempting to move his yak off of it. I could see the float of weed in the pale moonlight and steered clear. Then, the bugs became a problem. Swarms of green mosquitoes, some would bite, most didn’t. I have no clue what they are, but, at first light of dawn, they were everywhere, floating on the top of the lake, and covering every inch of our yaks. Even on my oar. No wonder we didn’t even get a nibble, the fish are probably stuffed to the gills with them. 

We finally gave up, packed everything back, and came home. 

0CB3AD45-8754-4314-AD70-567A20CE974C.jpeg

• Like 4

Cool, Annarchy.  Your description of kayaking against the wind.....brought me back to times on Maui.  Remember trying to re-enter the harbor with a friend after the WIND had come up.  Kayaks can insert when other vessels have too much wind resistance.  But it this case, we were head-on into it.  We were pulling as hard as we could....just to stay in place.  FINALLY...there was a moment of slacking in wind speed.  Pop!  We darted into the harbor and around the corner.  Sheesh....tough but exhilarating...yanno?  :happy0203:

MtRider  ....happy memories!

• Like 2

Jeepers, have been thinking of you. Moving after living in a house for many years is a challenge!!!!

May I suggest you do this.

Get a notebook with an attached pen or pencil and either different colored tape or stickers. Write down what each color means...move/keep, sell, give away, trash. Go through each room tagging articles. Everything on the shelf with same decision, tag the shelf only as it all goes to same place.  Maybe you want numbers too, as easy to move or very heavy. It would be helpful also to tag as to which room in new house. 

Your house could sell tomorrow.. here the day of closing is just that , you are moved out by that day.

Please make it easy on yourself, we want you to enjoy that new home...

Edited by Twilight
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been to MrsS since the 7th of August.  Dh is finally home after 3 different hospital admittances and discharges in August. Considering all, he is doing pretty well.  We are both in serious need of a few days of sleep!  I am thankful to still have him with me.  He is such a treasure.

I need to hopefully get back to some sort of an organized routine again.  Right now we are out of alot of things(like food, toiletries etc) and have deferred maintenance on alot of stuff.  We have alot of catching up to do and alot of Doctor appts for follow up. Heart dr. Lung dr. oncologist dr, family dr. and a surgeon for skin cancer removal. I told DH that Dr. appts are our new social life now!

I'm gonna go put my feet up and watch Bama finish off Louisville at football now.  Roll Tide!