MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Right eye surgery went excellent...but surgeon decided to put in a  "custom" lens...1.0...the lowest available so he could do sort of a Lasik-type thing.  Boy, what a difference!  The colors are now no very vivid and distinct.  Guess I've been nearsighted for so long and worn glasses (or contacts) for so long I can't remember ever seeing so vividly.  PTL.  The right eye does see better than the left (since he only removed the cataract material) but the right sees further away while the left sees a bit closer.  BUT...the nurse who did the IV work blew the vein on my hand and had to go the arm.  So...the entire back of my left hand is purple.  It made me sickly and I went into a an anxiety attack which scared everyone but me...I passed out :-(  Hubby was sitting at my side and said "your face was red as a beet, you were puffing, your eyes were wide open, but you were out cold".  So they had to wait for me to recover before they took me on into surgery.  Told the surgery center today about the "sucky job" the IV nurse did :-(  But...the eye surgery is over with and I'm not needing to wear glasses (for the most part).  They said I wouldn't be ready for prescription lenses for about 4 weeks.  So, I went to $Tree and picked up some readers...they work great for close up work...for the time being.  

• Like 5

As for the van...still waiting.  He's supposed to be re-attaching the black and grey water lines under the van.  I'll mention to hubby that we need receipts. As for laws ... he gave us an "estimate" but said the transmission was a mix of 2 or 3 years and he had to run all over to find the right parts and had to return and re-order others.  It's a waiting game.  Don't want to tee him off at this late date...I want my van done and in my yard! 

• Sad 3

Been raining ALL day and it's supposed to continue tomorrow also.  Abby-girl is getting real good about "holding it" because she doesn't want to go out.  We have to "order her out" and then she barely steps into the wet grass and squats.  Hubby's going to have some nice "pickups" very close to the carport.  

• Haha 3

WE2...Glad to hear of the success with vision.  That extra bit ...with the blown vein, passing out would make the whole thing pretty awful tho.  :(  With my background with needles [rabies shots when young] I'd be out too in that circumstance.  Somebody only gets one chance with me!

Had property managers out today.  They cried when they saw all their work [ loading and unloading that gravel to fill in the driveway crevasses]....now a LOT of it washed down the driveway.  Join the club....we've been doing that for 2 decades on this driveway.  :gaah:

They came to fix some things in the house...only gave me a short warning that the mice stuff [which I ignore under kitchen sink except to change the glue boards ] needed to be sanitized.  B had to crawl under there to check the water flow to that sink.  Has to come back with flexible hoses ...didn't have today.  They changed the aerator on the faucet and it seems to help the flow in kitchen.   Then in bathroom they changed out the flush mechanism [some weird "tin can without ends" thing].....and the new $45 part did  not  change  malfunction  at   all.   :banghead:   None of us were happy.  Still works only if you press down sharply and hold down thru whole cycle.  And even then we keep a bucket of water at-the-ready.  Cat drinks from the bucket... :rolleyes:  

They didn't even get to "rodent-proofing" the garage door.  Keep telling J that I'm not holding my breath on that one working to keep rodents out either.  Lot of energy spent by all of us and ......not much success.  No job is finished...crossed off the list.  :(    Plus B, DH, and I felt ROTTEN all day so that wasn't helping. 

Think we're all getting too old for this....

MtRider  :imoksmiley: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 1

So glad your eye surgeries were a success!!!  :hapydancsmil:

I prefer the IV in the arm. In the hand always hurts me worse. That must have been very scary for you and Mr.We2!

I know what you mean about making the 'vanman' mad. You may never see it again. Or he might really mess it up.  :angry:

Mt. Rider :hug3:.  You've had to put up with way too much stuff there. Those rodents have to go...for your health's sake!

Ugh, rodents. Hope I don't have to face them where I'm going. Sigh. Lots of country and open fields around. And a grandson who doesn't understand the concept of keeping the door shut yet. :0327:

I had to go to K-Mart tonight for a couple of things. All of their summer toys were 60% off. I got all of the different sandbox toys that 'you know who' will "need" next summer for about 30 bucks.  More stuff to haul to Indiana.  BUT, BUT, BUT... they were on sale!  :rolleyes:

I'm going to go back to the Dollar Tree and get one of those plastic oval totes to keep them in. Probably get 2 in case I have some pool toys next year. Gotta match ya know.  :cheeky-smiley-067:

Dollar Tree has some nice storage containers for a dollar! Pfffft. Who are we kidding. I'll bet I get one of each color. Blue for water toys, green for garden toys and red for sand toys. OCD is killin' me.

842364.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

WE2 glad to hear your surgery  is over. I did not know they were still doing the  near and far vision . So many people talk about the colors they can now see!   Sorry about the vein problem.... 

Well Jeepers those baskets can be filled with the soft or small things you are taking on your next trip. They look like they will stack...be great to keep in the Jeep!

• Like 3

We went kayaking Thursday night. He wanted to go Wednesday night but said he was too tired. 

We got to the lake around 1:30am. I prepped my yak as usual, but poor DH was in slow motion mode. He got his fish finder hooked up, then started having a bit of trouble, dropping things, snagging things, he forgot Gunny had chewed on the fishing pole he wanted to use, his line on the other pole got tangled, he had to replace his batteries for his hat lights, and more... then as he walked past the back of the trailer, we use to haul the yaks, he bumped the license plate and it broke off!  Cheap plastic + intense heat/sun = broken.   I told him not to worry about it, we’d fix it in the morning. I put the plate in the front window JIC the Sheriff checked, when I parked the truck. 

The wind picked up and we could hear the waves crashing into the dock, hoping it would calm down as the night progressed. Our plan this time, was to cross the lake and fish the other side. Eventually, we cast off and headed for the other side. It was an adventure in exercise and maneuvering, without being blown in the opposite direction. 

I paused by a large rock in the lake to bait my lines, when I looked up, I had been blown quite a distance out into the lake. Lol, back to the ‘rock’ I finally was able to get the bait on my lines. By then, DH mentioned we needed to find shelter from the wind. Around the bend was a little cove, which worked out perfectly to block the waves and wind. I nick named it “Comfort Cove”. 

We spent the rest of the night circling around it. DH said his fish finder was showing a lot of nice sized fish about 6-8 feet deep, so I set my poles around that depth. 

A little later, DH comes over near me saying he had a rattle in his yak.  Yup, sure did, sounded like a marble rolling around every time he moved. He searched relentlessly, rattling, banging around as he removed everything in his yak, trying to find it. 

I was attempting not to giggle, when my line jiggled, but, poor DH was having such a hard time, I figured it was just a snag. As he put everything back in, and moved away from me, I decided to check if I had any bait left. At first, I figured I was snagged, and the tip of my pole bent as I tried to reel it in, yup, a snag.... not!  The line started reeling out. I actually caught a 2 1/2 lb. large mouth bass!  :yum3:

Shortly after that, poor, frustrated DH, just wanted to go home. 

On my way up the boat ramp, I found a wire tie, PTL, He provided what we needed to re-attach the license plate. :amen:

But, when I got into the truck, I had to roll the windows down immediately. Ya know those green mosquitoes I mentioned last time?  Yeah, they were swarming inside the windows trying to get out.  They gave DH a hobby as we drove home, smacking them on the inside of the windows. 

Morning pics of Comfort Cove. 

EFF2088F-1C6C-4EB8-9D3C-549F7B127275.jpeg

87518180-193E-47A6-826E-5B5AD84EE757.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I love reading about your fishing adventures and your pictures are an added bonus!!! At first I thought you were going to say you snagged your hubby's pants or shirt. LOL. 

Doctors office just called and said my scans were within the normal range. Thank YOU Lord. I'm so relieved. I'll admit I was a little concerned. Silent killers and all that. And my high blood pressure I can't seem to control...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

I'm so glad your eye surgery went well, WE2!  Did you say they put you to sleep during the procedure?  

They don't really "put you to sleep" but they put in an IV with two medications (that I won't mention here because they're illegal on the streets etc.) and even though you are fully aware of what's going on...he even told me "Now look up hon" several times...but you have no fear or pain or anything.  As they told me "you'll be fully aware but just won't care".  When he was finished, he removed the taped drape and the nurses quickly put in pain drops and off to recovery I went.  He also puts in a couple of medications within his work (antibiotics and pain) that will float around for several days so saw these black blobs "pass by" periodically for a couple of days...:24:  I never felt any pain at any time, and even the IV site was injected with a pain killer before they put in the IV.  Even though the 2nd bout went haywire I didn't really feel any pain...just a burning sensation on the back of my hand.  Hope that runs the heebeegeebees off that any of you might feel :D  I'm going to re-post this as a separate thread though, so others will see it.  Also...one of the WONDERFUL benefits is that it seems to have done away with the vertigo! :hapydancsmil:

• Like 6

Re-posting this for others regarding my recent cataract surgeries...

They don't really "put you to sleep" but they put in an IV with two medications (that I won't mention here because they're illegal on the streets etc.) and even though you are fully aware of what's going on...he even told me "Now look up hon" several times...but you have no fear or pain or anything.  As they told me "you'll be fully aware but just won't care".  When he was finished, he removed the taped drape and the nurses quickly put in pain drops and off to recovery I went.  He also puts in a couple of medications within his work (antibiotics and pain) that will float around for several days so saw these black blobs "pass by" periodically for a couple of days...:24:  I never felt any pain at any time, and even the IV site was injected with a pain killer before they put in the IV.  Even though the 2nd bout went haywire I didn't really feel any pain...just a burning sensation on the back of my hand.  Hope that runs the heebeegeebees off that any of you might feel :D  I'm going to re-post this as a separate thread though, so others will see it.  Also...one of the WONDERFUL benefits is that it seems to have done away with the vertigo! :hapydancsmil:

@The WE2's, Thank you for clearing that up.  I thought I remembered you saying they woke you up, so I thought you were under.  Hope you are recovered quickly!

Finally got the alfalfa back to the goats today.  Made DH some pickled beets and took some eBay photos.

Yesterday, cleaned bathrooms, dusted, swept and mopped house and did my walk.  Low key is the word here!

• Like 1

We2, sort of sounds like when I go to the dentist. With the nitrous oxide gas I'm aware of everything going on but I just don't care. Actually, I look forward to the gas part. :Blushing:

It was another rainy weekend here. Sometime in the night it turned cold. I had the fan blasting away on high speed and was covered with a thin sheet blanket...do they call them that anymore? Anyway, I was freezing. I snuggled down and slept the rest of the day away.

Very nonproductive day. I did get an errand list made out for tomorrow though. I got some more clothes packed up Saturday. I have a bunch more clothes in the spare bedroom too but that room will be one of the last rooms I do. Out of sight...out of mind.  My big walk in bedroom closet is 95% done. I'm changing out all the hangers as I go. I had a mish-mash of all types and sizes and colors in there. Now they are all white plastic (Wal-Mart) and even that little change makes the closet look so much better. It looks organized even if it isn't. I'm going to finish off that closet and start on the master bath this week. "Master Bath" sounds big. It isn't. It's just two little rooms in the bedroom.

• Like 3

Been reading about your move, Jeepers. Hopefully, we're done for a few years. It's always painful, with tons of work.   :whistling:

We were inundated with over 16" of rain the past two weeks. We were helping Samaritan's Purse crews with mudding out less fortunate families in our community. One family had 12 children and lost everything in their basement, including 3 bedrooms with lots of beds and furniture. The guys hauled out the washer and dryer and freezer and watersoaked mattresses. The mother was still in shock. Her kids were to start school the next day. We were blown away by the cheerful attitudes of the children. They held doors open for us, and even showed us how to make the biggest splashes in the muddy puddles around their house.  :imoksmiley:

We pulled off the volunteering until we can get our own basement waterproofed. We dug down to the bottom of the foundation and think we know where the problem is. Several thousand dollars later, we should be ready for the next "100-year" rain.  Our State has seen THREE of these "100-year" rains in the past 15 years. :0327: Thankfully, we live in a sandy area these days.  :hapydancsmil: 

I decided to help the Samaritan's Purse cooks with some veggies from my garden. They are feeding over 60 people every day. (They use our church for housing and storage of the food, but have their own cooking trailer.) The volunteers come in from all over the USA and usually spend a week at a time with the clean-up. I have lots of veggies available but I'm too busy working on our house foundation to do any canning or freezing.  :tapfoot:  I'll start hauling food today.  :grouphug: Samaritan's Purse is huge. They always arrive at a disaster several days before any govt organization. They are a well-oiled non-profit organization with thousands of volunteers around the country. The staff are experts on logistics and so full of compassion. It's run by Franklin Graham, son of Billy Graham.  :wave:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Wow..WI has really been hit.  Samaritin's Purse, Operation Blessing and Salvation Army [who has churches/corps people in most neighborhoods] are often the first on the scene and the last to leave a disaster.  But dollars flow into the well advertised Red Cross.  But God provides when His own are doing His work!  Homesteader's veggies will fill an need...and Homesteaders  will certainly receive as well.  Hopefully with good prices/success on their basement repair!   :amen: 

We're kept busy "hosting" the property managers who have ...um, 5 major and minor repair projects going at once.  IF the two they worked on last week had been successful, those would be off the list ..... :(  We aren't the only property they still maintain. 

MtRider  ..... :dusting:  :dishes: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
23 hours ago, The WE2's said:

They don't really "put you to sleep" but they put in an IV with two medications (that I won't mention here because they're illegal on the streets etc.) and even though you are fully aware of what's going on....but you have no fear or pain or anything.  As they told me "you'll be fully aware but just won't care". 

Probably the same two I had for my pacemaker surgery. One of them was F~yl, don't know what the other one was. :/

...EVERYone worked hard today.  I kept going from J...B...DH - helping or supplying what they need or passing messages.   Had to send out a Prayer Request in the middle of it and made a mistake.  Had to send a 2nd one with a CORRECTION...cuz I named the wrong person's father as deceased.  Oops.  I think that's the first time I've messed one up in the 15 yrs I've been doing this.  Ah well, it's fixed.  And God knows all. 

Back of house now has tar sealing the juncture of the cement basement wall and the first log/chinking.  Plans made for diverting most of the deluge of rain away from the house/driveway anyway. 

It's POSSIBLE  :unsure:  .....not holdin' my breath, mind you......but it's possible that J/B may have put enough strips of wood and rubber to seal rodents out of the garage.  Mebbe.  Also caulked [with tar] a space around some wires going into the house.  Can't find any more "rodent leaks"......  We'll see.  'Course we still have to kill off the current resident population in here....  

Still have to hold the handle down thru the whole flush cycle.....  ALL NEW PARTS and it STILL won't work.  B is quite frustrated.  But we have a LOT more water coming thru the kitchen sink with the new aerator.  :dishes: 

LOTS more for them to do....diversion ditch up the HILL and THEN the driveway "remodel".  Keep them busy till the snow flies. 

I'm sooooo tired.  DH was moving, cleaning, stuff from Circus Tent.  We're covering everything with plastic trash bags and fastening tight to keep rodent's foulness off the buckets/containers/etc.  Only thing left in Circus Tent now is some of the camping stuff.  Then we can dismantle that stupid thing!   We...[mostly DH] got a LOT done today on that project.  AND sorted 3 big boxes of stuff....most going to Good Will.  I'd packed them ......2 yrs ago (?) and just wanted to double-check.  Pulled out a handful of things and the rest is outta here.  I'll have to start a new "Good Will" box. 

Hot Tip.....DO NOT BUY "FARM TARPS" FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY.  This one had a zillions tiny holes in it after just 3 months.  J says they spend a lot buying one for their boat and it leaks too.  Just like ours.  They're coated so should be good but not!!!  :motz_6:  

MtRider .....  GLAD to accomplish things today! 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Hot Tip.....DO NOT BUY "FARM TARPS" FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY.  This one had a zillions tiny holes in it after just 3 months.  J says they spend a lot buying one for their boat and it leaks too.  Just like ours.  They're coated so should be good but not!!!  :motz_6:  

I read somewhere that the vinyl signage tarps work very well. Considering the size of signs along the road, DH and I may not be able to pick one up and throw it over our woodpile. It's a thought, though. Nothing tougher than the material they use on billboards to irritate us as we drove along American's roads.   :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CrabGrassAcres used to say that.  She said she used them for many things...shade for her goats, etc.  Wonder where you could get one.....

:sassing:  DH has one he used to put up during tax season.  Odd shape tho.....long and narrow.  There is no end of variety in sizes, I'd imagine. 

Thanks for bringing up that idea again, Homesteader!  :thumbs: 

The tarps are excellent for use in many things and last indefinitely. Here they are called billboard tarps. They used to cost $40 at Branson. I think there is a place in Ohio selling them but I think they were asking $80. They are incredibly heavy and depending on the size of the billboard is the size the tarp will be divided usually by 4 but more on those signs.

WE2 I think you are the only one on here to know my dog Joy. I buried her Monday.

• Sad 7

:runcirclsmiley2:I have had an AWFUL day..... 

BUT  :amen:  :amen:   the Maui crew appears to have gotten off with very little affect.  Not all of Maui....but not the catastrophe it could have been.  

So many other issues...I felt like I worked in the NewYorkStockExchange today.  Aauuugghhh....  including one UNpleasant neighbor.

Ya know, those who are 'alpha' don't have to push their way....they just BE ALPHA and can be kindly.  Neighbor is alpha-wanna-be and has no boundaries...and lies....  :groooansmileyf:  Other neighbor is very very genuine and pleasant!  :amen:

MtRider  :offtobed: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 1