MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Our low is 42.  Our high is 44.

And I still have to bundle up and go to work.  I never took my hoodie off yesterday.  I need to figure out appropriate cold-weather stuff for the office, because I'm going to be cold.

• Sad 2
9 hours ago, dogmom4 said:

Snapshot,

Do you have a recipe for your dog food? 

I do.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/558727897517599746/

I add green beans.  Just found another big slow cooker at a yard sale so I will start making one pot with hamburger base and one with chicken, so it is not the same all the time.

Then pressure can so it is shelf stable.

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, Mt_Rider said:

MtRider, I do miss the  Arctic weather somewhat, though Georgia has its own charms...

I miss the unearthly beauty of sunrise after a snow storm...the hush effect it has on traffic (no noise except a swish as cars pass) and the  beauty of a red cadinal against the silver-white spiky structure of a snow-covered leafless tree (I had lots of cardinals at my feeder...and a VERY saucy startlingly blue Jay who refused to eat alongside any other birds).  I miss the companionable chickadees who I finally got to eat from my hand.  (I am starting over here.)  I do miss the startlingly pure, icy cold air after a snow storm cleans all the pollution away - the crunch of the snow under foot (the higher pitched the crunch the colder the temperature, remember?) and the fun of sledding and rolling in the snow at the end of the run.  BUT!!!   I do NOT miss the arthritis stiffness & pain, the struggle to shovel hip-deep snow to get out to the shed to get the snow blower (suggestion for all snow dwellers...Get an ELECTRIC starter on the snow blower, that hand puller thingie gets OLD, fast, LOL.  

So the answer to whether I miss Wisconsin and its cold weather is....yes, and no....of course!

Edited by kappydell
trying to get rid of the quote box.....
  • Like 5

I tried to get rid of the quote box above but it did not work.  On the plus side, Georgia has things I love more and more...

The winter here is more like Wisconsin's autumn, and autumn was always my favorite season.  So now I get two autumns!  Yay!

Power and water bills are much lower here (maybe because it is more rural?).  

I can garden year around if I want to, and I LOVE fresh veggies year around.  But there is still enough seasonal variation to vary what is available from month to month!  Fun!

Georgia State Colleges gives FREE TUITION - by state law - to residents over 65.  Cool!  I can take classes, AND access the college perks, too.  (I do miss my Packers, though.)

Taxes for my home are less than $200 this year, less than 1/10th of what I was paying up north. (But registering your car is OMG sticker shock...)

Disabled hunting/fishing combo license is $7 a year, and includes deer tags. 

This is generally a pro-firearms state and concealed carry is just a fact of life here.  Nobody gets excited over it, which is certainly refreshing.  Nobody got excited when I bought tannerite, either.  (I still wonder if it would blow up stumps, lol.....)  Here folks tend to mind their own business in that respect.  (Wisconsin has a lot of... er... wanna-be-activists that feel that meddling in everybody else's business and being a general nuisance is somehow ... noble.)

And in this part of the state, the general habitat is mixed woodland, so it is much like northern Wisconsin in general ambiance, and the fishing is great!  Lot of places to wet a line.

So all in all, I am glad I made the move.

• Like 6

Kappydell, I’ve heard, the origins of tannerite, came from construction and building roads, they’d place it in/under rocks to break them up. But, I can’t find anything online about that, right now. 

I know we’ve seen stuff disappear into dust, using the stuff. :ph34r:

Getting ready for one of MIL’s meetings. Today is the Woman’s Club Luncheon. 

• Like 1

Spot on, Kappydell. We moved back to Wisconsin to retire. Our former family business has a pleasant outcome .... four generations of family remained in Wisconsin. Couple that with an aging matriarch, and our U-Haul couldn't stop anywhere else.   :whistling:

The Packers still give us heart attacks. We switched from Farve to Rodgers. Keeps the heart ticking wildly the last 5 minutes of every football game.  :0327:

I must admit that I like the slower pace of winter. In many of the countries we lived, I could garden all year. While it was my cup of tea as a master gardener, I grew weary of pulling weeds all year. Now, I'm back to the marathon for 6 months and then recovery for 6 months. :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 5

Like you, Kappy,  I LOVE all those wondrous Christmassy things about winter.  The first few Christmas seasons on Maui were tough.  But...I'm getting to the point of DREADING all those negative things about winter.  Old and disabled...even partially...makes evverything so much more onerous.  And when riding horses, doing gardens and keeping ducks become too exhaustingly difficult in winter....it's time to leave winter.  

:unsure:  ....tho summer has never been my friend either....  :sigh:    I'd love year-''round autumn.  :hapydancsmil:

In the past 4 days, we've had SUMMER - 80* and sunny...................WINTER - low of ZERO* and snowed all day..................FALL - 40* with the shocked golden aspens still quaking on the trees but unfortunately scalded brown by the zero degree night.  :sigh:    That's severely hard on one's body!  Partly what shows up in my MS Fall Fatigue Thing. 

MtRider ....only peeking my nose outside till it decides what it's gonna be out there...  :hidingsmile:

• Like 1

Removed the window a/c today and got things buttoned up for the winter....seems it may be coming in a bit earlier than normal here.  Using back porch lines to hang laundry.  Just too cold and breezy these past 2 days to hang anything out.  Today would have been ok, but had other chores to do.  Work clothes will wait until tomorrow.

• Like 1

Removed rings, washed jars and labeled 9 pints of spiced pears.  Friend gave us more this year, but I only took a small amount.  Much to hard to peel and core pears. Didn't pack them tight enough so have a lot of the spicey syrup.  I can thicken it with instant sure gel when I open a jar if I want it thicker.   Wanna see? 

101_0839.JPG

• Like 6

Tired...

Yesterday we enjoyed the luncheon, entertainment was a pianist and an artist.

Today was the annual fall fashion show, by Chico’s and a silent auction. 

When we got home, spent quite some time on the phone, trying to get info regarding long term and custodial care benefits from her insurance company.  At least, they are sending an updated policy book. Hers was dated 2006 and 2011. Just a tad outdated. :shakinghead:

Tomorrow is running some errands for mom and finish up my ToDo list. 

:offtobed:

Not sure where to put this to share...so I'll just put it here! LOL  We truly enjoyed our 10 day trip through Texas and it appears we "got out of dodge" just in time!  There was so much flooding while we were there and then it started raining again when we headed home...rained all the way!  Was so very nice for hubby to get back in touch with his cousins and his classmates.  Miss B ran really good for us, we got 15.9 mpg on the way home with is terrific for a motorhome!  Was pretty crowded with all three of us, we over nighted at WM's for 7 of the 10 days we were out.  His family hosted us for 3 nights.  Our Abby-girl is such a trooper...wherever we are that's fine with her!

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

IMG_0969.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0956.JPG

Edited by The WE2's
Forgot a pic of Abby-girl!
  • Like 7

I shouldn’t say this, but I am jealous. DH doesn’t wanna go anywhere. He did so much traveling all his life, he’s content staying home. 

It looks like you had a marvelous time. I know I would. 

Finished my ToDo’s and errands, then bbq’d moms dinner. Getting some rest/sleep before heading home tomorrow. 

Last night was very weird.  Mary left me sitting in the car when she ran back indoors on an emergency potty stop.  We were going to visit our friends nearby, and we were both taught from childhood to "Go before you leave" and we still do...anyway, she put the car in park but left the keys in the ignition & radio on for me.  Suddenly the car started moving down the hill - I noticed it but could not reach brakes to stop it with the console between the seats.  I was trying to steer it AWAY from the house, but BANG! it coasted into the house!  I was yelling (of course) "Noooo" (I don't scream, I'm a yeller, but I admit I had a good soprano going).  Anyway, we dented the siding, busted it in a few places, so now we have repairs to make.  Mary was kicking herself up and down, saying she was certain she had put it in park.  Today I had a brainstorm and googled "Ford Explorers jumping out of park" because I SAW her put the thing in park before she left.  Hey ho, they have a track record of jumping out of park - into reverse in some cases, while traveling down the highway in some cases causing loss of control in some cases, often enough that the transmission is considered a "problem" in 30% of older Explorers after 150,000 miles.  Ours is used, over 100,000 miles.  So I left an e-mail with a product liability firm and reassured Mary it was NOT her fault.  The damage we can fix - we both are now grateful I did NOT steer it to miss the house, as the alternate was to pick up speed, coast downhill and end up over our "ravine" to land nose down (maybe flip) into the creek!  So our damage was minimal.  We have that kind of "bad luck/good luck" events now and again.  Maybe we will get lucky and win that over 1 billion dollar lottery down here...we actually bought a ticket.  Why not - we don't usually play the lottery, but its a fun fantasy, thinking about what we would do with a billion bucks.  Needless to say when the lottery jack-pot passed 950 million people started showing up from all over the US to buy tickets!

On the more usual routine, we thoroughly enjoyed our first dinner of fresh snap beans from the autumn garden tonight, along with our  once-a-week liver dinner.  Nothing compares to the flavor of fresh snap beans!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4

Yesterday was clean out the fridge day. I go through and remove anything that is too old for human food, but try to catch it before it reaches that science experiment stage. I chop it all up and put it into a stock pot with a little water to simmer. Then I put it in quart containers and have chicken food. It is mostly veggies and fruits. To this, daily, I add stale bread, scrapings from plates, bits from cooking, etc. The birds also get some commercial feed. But the homemade food from scraps really cuts down on feed costs, and it assures that we have no food waste. 

Any leftover chicken goes into the dog food. I strip the carcass of meat and make a bone broth for them that goes over kibbles. I used to make their food completely but got away from that. 4 German Shepherds eat a lot! I need to get back to making dog food as it is healthier for them. 

• Like 2
On 10/16/2018 at 5:33 PM, snapshotmiki said:

I do.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/558727897517599746/

I add green beans.  Just found another big slow cooker at a yard sale so I will start making one pot with hamburger base and one with chicken, so it is not the same all the time.

Then pressure can so it is shelf stable.

That looks like a good stew for dogs. What do you do for calcium? Raw bones? Add bone meal?

Whoooeee, Kappy!  Glad you weren't hurt....nor much damage to the house/vehicle!  :amen:   Glad Mary is off the hook....cuz a person would naturally feel horrible about even their unintentional mistake.  But it wasn't hers... :thumbs:  Whew!

We're back to autumn....without the golden aspens.  With a lot of brown leaves still on the trees, they now rattle like .....hmmm, Halloween sound affects?  :buttercup:  We're up in the 70's  :happy0203:  I could live like this for a good long time!  Can't believe we already hit zero this season.  Keeping an eye on that lazy Jet Stream...sagging down that far to us!  Isn't hurricane season nearly finished?  Good riddance to this one!

MtRider ....hmm, maybe I'll actually go out and ride today?  DH is home...

Today was a help hubby load his recliner chair to put in garage so he can re-work the under-side.  It's an expensive black leather chair that reclines (not a regular recliner) so it's well worth repairing.  We have a matched pair and want to keep them.  THEN...he went to garage to start his project and I unsealed my winter tops and vacuum sealed my summer tops.  Got most of them done.  At least I'll have warm long sleeves that I don't have to grab a bag and undo it to find something to wear! LOL  Like my jeans...four seasons! I keep my sweat pants for hanging around the house in...wouldn't dream of wearing them in public but they're nice and warm inside the house and comfy too!  Thermal tops are ready to wear...love them with my nylon overstuffed vests until it gets really, really cold.  But I did pull out a couple of fleece jackets and a couple of heavier winter coats.  Where did the summer go?  Solar minimums?

• Like 3

Looked at the messages on my phone and there are about 7 lawyers that want to talk to me about that car.  Hmmmm.  Maybe I can get the repairs done without having to claim on my insurance?  Today we started emptying out the RV while it is nice and cool  for its winter cleaning.  Wow, the stuff we have in there is amazing.  When you pack thinking "but out vehicle" versus "weekend vacation" you pack totally different things....battery operated shortwave radio receivers, multiple first aid kits, longer lasting food items, more durable tools, etc.  We also found a small  emergency fund which we can really use right now - its 4 days before payday and we are running out of critical things.  So tonight I am washing all the sleeping bags (we needed warm ones even here in GA over our first winter in the RV.  My bed was on the slide out - not insulated - so it got chillier.  Think of sleeping in a hammock in the winter and you get the general idea.  Warm sleeping bag & a set of sweats solved cold sleeping issues.

• Like 3