MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Love the pictures! Girl, you look so tiny next to hubby. And happy too. You are so fortunate you found your keeper. I'd say he is pretty darn fortunate too. I was just getting ready to say I liked your new avatar in another post before I saw this.  :wub:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Love the pictures! Girl, you look so tiny next to hubby. And happy too. You are so fortunate you found your keeper. I'd say he is pretty darn fortunate too. I was just getting ready to say I liked your new avatar in another post before I saw this.  :wub:

:thumbs:

18 hours ago, Jeepers said:

The avatar's gone.  Been using it for so many years, figured I'd just put my own face up! :)

• Like 3

What did I do today?  Well...not much. Sonic was having corn dogs for 50c so hubby picked up 3 and we ate them with some chili...shame for shame!  Did get into one BIG project though...pulled out the drawer that was holding all my socks hostage.  Boy was it a mess!  Now it's all tidy and neat, and the pairs are matched up...no more digging through the drawer for a mate or stuffing a pair in.  Shame for shame! But it's done, I'll try to be neater from now on.  Just too much work to un-do my clutter. :24:

• Haha 1

I've got my days and nights messed up again. It's so bad I fell asleep in the chair this afternoon and slept straight through trick or treat tonight. Not that I really cared though because I usually hide upstairs in the bedroom with the lights off downstairs so it looks like I'm not home. I guess I kind of gave it away this year. I think it might have rained. It looks wet out there. Time to consider the Ambian for a couple of nights again to get straightened out.

I really need to mow the yard. The grass is tall but we've had so much rain I can't catch a day when it's dry enough to mow it. At least it's growing slow now. It will probably only need it 2 more times. I've got my Sta-bil gas all mixed up and ready to fill the mower after I mow. I'm trying to run the gas down low without running out so I can winterize it.

Be sure to check out the stores today for sales on left over glow sticks and Halloween candy if you're interested. Dark chocolate is medicinal and freezes well.  :P

I was going to go visit Indy this weekend but they are all sick with the creeping crud so it was advised I stay away until the next week end. Works for me. I sure don't need it. Gives me some more time to load up the Jeep and to read the drivers manual a little more.  

I got another 4 bags to donate to Salvation Army. Mostly this, that and the other. I'll probably get another one when I clean out the kitchen cabinets this weekend. I saw a place closer to me that wants donations but I can't remember what it was or where it was. Something about community donations. Maybe Google will help. They have those 'clothes only' donation bins all over the place too. I've donated my 'tax free' limit for the year so I don't need any receipts now. I also noticed a sign saying the YMCA, which is just a street away, has a drop off area for the Salvation Army. Good Will has an office size place in a little strip mall where my grocery store is that accepts donations too. It's kind of hard to donate there if you have a lot of stuff though because you have to walk across the parking lot with your items and then wrestle with the door. Our Salvation Army has a drive thru and aren't picky. We also have a furniture bank not far from me. I'm only mentioning those things to indicate how hard times are for a lot of people. Donations needed and a lot of places to donate!!!

• Like 2

Jeepers....I've found that a couple of Magnesium caps works pretty good for me at bedtime.  Seems to help me sleep and control the restless leg/cramps at night.  I also enjoy a cup of hot Catnip tea.  Makes me drowsy.  Just sharing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stayed inside, was a dreary misty day.  Hubby is warding off the sniffles, being up on a roof project hasn't faired well me thinks.  It gets pretty breezy up at those altitudes.  He's putting in 8 new roof vents on this work project.  Was only to be one...but the owner's son has decided he liked the work and wants all of them replace, as well as a new vent for the exhaust bathroom fan.  Then a couple more projects.  Then one of his "regulars" call and needed a light bulb replaced in their kitchen since he can't get on ladders.  Then...another referral came in today so he'll meet with her this next week.  Got several projects she needs done.  PTL..we can always use the funds at tax time....but...when am I ever going to get my bathroom done and moved to the homestead!? 

• Like 1

Good Morning.

It is under 50* this morning. Crispy by my standards. 

First of the month bookwork awaits me. I didn’t do it yesterday, because DH took me out to dinner for our anniversary. :wub:  He got me a card and a book, “Storey’s Basic Country Skills”, ‘A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance’. I skimmed through it, how-to’s on a plethora of topics.  Including canning. :thumbs:

Time to get to work. 

• Like 2

Happy Anniversary to you Annarchy and your husband.    :)

This morning I had to go to town and get some papers notarized then had to fill more paper work and called a few places about Gary's credit cards and have them close the accounts.    Had lunch and need to run the letter to town so it can get in the mail today.        I then decided to come in and check to see if anyone had signed up for the Christmas Ornament Exchange and then decided to check some of the forums.  

You all have a good day now.     :bighug2:

• Thanks 1

Oh wow Annarchy! I didn't even know those existed. That will really help you keep your records straight and orderly. Wish I would have had one of those when I was buying the house. There were important papers here, there and everywhere.

I have that Storey's book too. It's so big with LOTS of info in it. Right up there with Carla Emory's.

It's so nice your hubby knows your needs and interests.   :wub:

• Like 1

Jeepers, he’s priceless. 

I freaked out early this morning ‘cause he had a SVT. Ack!  It quit quickly. I certainly don’t want to lose him. :pray:

The Sort-All’s work fantastic. I used them at all my jobs. If they didn’t have one, I suggested they get one. Everyone wanted to borrow it. Lol. 

• Like 1

Another rainy, dreary, crisp day...hubby worked a few hours on one project then guess what! He went to the homestead and worked a couple of hours on the bathroom!  Didn't even say a word...how about that for a Jesus moment! :cele: Abby's been after he feet and I checked with an online vet and he said "allergies" (she's prone to them somewhat) so I gave her some OTC benadryl knock off and within a couple of hours she quit.  Also said to give her a bit of real honey, it's got pollens and it sort of de-sensitizes them...she loved it! Why not? :laughkick: It wouldn't be totally out of the picture for her to have some cabin-fever stuff either, so calming her down helps that also.  Vet had us give her the allergy caps (no slow release!) when she was spayed and also when she was having yeasty ears.  We now use a Gentian Violet mixture that keeps her ears in wonderful condition.  We clean them regularly with baby wipes and if needed, put some of the GV in her ears.  Clears them up in hours.  We also started nibbling on the Candied Ginger pieces we bought from the Mennonite store.  I keep several containers in freezers, and they are wonderful for scratchy throats...FYI.  Been doctoring Mr. to get ahead of anything that might wander towards this household, with Elderberry syrup (gonna have to make a new batch...this one's been in frig for a couple of months), Vitamin C, Echinacea, sniffing Oregano essential oil through our noses and inhaling fumes down our throats. Neither of us are ill but just don't want those sniffles of his to get any ideas! Oh...almost forgot! The brake lights on his truck quit working about a week ago and he was really stressed out about what electrical issues might mean.  Well, he finally took it to our mechanic and he found the problem...a fuse!  Charge?  Nothing.  Said "you've spend a lot of money here so go on home!".  A small but very welcome blessing!

• Like 3

I've had two vets at church tell us not to use aromatic machines with essential oils around the house if we have pets. It's especially hard on cats as the oils end up on the floor, the cats walk on them, and then lick themselves. I was really surprised by two different sources. The vets reminded me that the pets aren't human and shouldn't be put in the same class as humans even though we we think the oils would also be good for the fuzzy creatures. I was pretty surprised at their stern instructions. We took note of their suggestions even though we don't have pets or use oils.   :wave:

DH usually doesn't like working on vehicle electrical systems either. They get more complicated every year!  He did add extra lights to our old farm tractor and did a great job. He says it was easier with the old stuff, like him.   :whistling:

I did dry some elderberries this year, and may try the syrup, WE2's. Age is creeping up on us and we need more defense as the years click by.   :tapfoot:

• Like 2

We set the pop-up camper up today.  The front hatch on it leaks.  I'd (with the help of the 11-year-old) taken everything out, laid it out on the grass to dry, then had the older kid put things back in.  HE PUT THINGS BACK IN THAT WERE FULL OF WATER!  We set the camper up today and now have the heater and a fan running inside it to dry it out.  I just...arrrrrgggggghhhhh!

• Sad 3
6 hours ago, Homesteader said:

I've had two vets at church tell us not to use aromatic machines with essential oils around the house if we have pets. It's especially hard on cats as the oils end up on the floor, the cats walk on them, and then lick themselves. I was really surprised by two different sources. The vets reminded me that the pets aren't human and shouldn't be put in the same class as humans even though we we think the oils would also be good for the fuzzy creatures. I was pretty surprised at their stern instructions. We took note of their suggestions even though we don't have pets or use oils.   :wave:

Some of the aromatherapy groups I'm in won't even comment on using essential oils around pets, except for don't do it unless you're working with an aromatherapist who has specifically been trained on using around pets.  Their livers apparently don't metabolize things the same way as ours do (kind of like there's a LOT of essential oils that should not be used around kids, but certain brands push using them on everybody because theirs are SO pure that it's safe - NOPE!).

DS2's housemates came over and unpacked some more, assembling three book cases and filling them, taking tools to the workshop and bringing boxes of books out of the workshop, pulling out rotten boards in front of the side steps and putting in cement pavers.  They also did some more storm cleanup.  I desperately need a chipper shredder, because this is way too much to burn. 

Today I've been taking stock of what was done, sorting items that can be shed, and planning the next day's work.

One of the guys is coming back Thursday with DDIL to do more of the same, and pantry labeling.  The dating of groceries has not been done regularly since we moved in, so we (meaning they) need to empty the pantry, mark every item 2018 as a default, and put things back.  (Putting things back will have to be DDIL's job, since she can at least repetitively lift light weights.) 

DXFIL is feeling his mortality (with good cause), and so he gave the boys all his hand-tools, power tools, and  most of the yard equipment.  He had a front-tine tiller in great shape,  but it's the kind that neither DS1 nor I, with our damaged backs, can use.  DS2 has said he will use it to break me up some garden space, but he's working crazy hours.  Meanwhile, the barn and workshop still have layers of rusty/dusty tools and fixtures that still need to be inventoried, sorted, and cleaned.  This is on the list as "decrap barn" and has DS2's name by it, meaning I don't know what month it might get done in.  Organizing these three sets of tools will be a project or series of projects for later.  No plan for when--just "later."

The old house has finally been rented out.  The tenants already cleaned up the vandalism damage, patching holes and painting walls and filling garbage bags, and are going to do handy-work in lieu of rent for the rest of the year.  He's out of work and she's a nervous-energy person, so I'm not really surprised at how much they've done so far.  Really happy, but not really surprised.  Their kids picked almost all the unripe fruit, probably to throw at one another, but that's their momma's grief and not my own.  They plan to get chickens but right now are using the hen-pen to contain their dogs until the fence gets repaired.  (The fence has a bad gate, an old hole, and a large dip under the biggest tree Michael dropped.) Come Monday, they are taking over the utilities, which will save me a chunk of money every month.  

• Like 3
On 11/3/2018 at 1:58 PM, TheCG said:

We set the pop-up camper up today.  The front hatch on it leaks.  I'd (with the help of the 11-year-old) taken everything out, laid it out on the grass to dry, then had the older kid put things back in.  HE PUT THINGS BACK IN THAT WERE FULL OF WATER!  We set the camper up today and now have the heater and a fan running inside it to dry it out.  I just...arrrrrgggggghhhhh!

Worse news.

He did NOT put things back in that were full of water.

Things that collect water just happened to be sitting underneath where the shell is cracked and it's leaking.

So, things to be done on the camper:

• Fix plumbing leak in indoor shower
  • Fix plumbing leak in outdoor shower
  • Say to heck with fixing the water heater
  • Fix leak in outer shell across front compartment
  • Sew up canvas where it's separating at the corner of the dinette
  • Kilz the crap out of front compartment where water has been leaking
  • Sad 4

Today was another cloudy, sorta misty day.  We loaded up in Miss B and took a bit of a trip to drop off hubby's library books at the library...they have a drop box.  Stopped at the "Roost" house to check the mail and premises.  Drove through the park to admire the trees but the leaves have mostly fallen off.  It seems all the trees in our area decided to shed their leaves at once so it looks like "gold carpet" all around the Maples.  After we had lunch we tarped over the air conditioner of Miss B and pulled all the curtains down, put up the windshield cover and she's pretty much done for the winter unless there's a "life changing event" and we have to leave unexpectedly.  Did turn on the EdenPur in the front room for a bit.  The misty chill can really make you feel chilly to the bone, even though I am wearing a long sleeved top.  We keep the thermostat at 68 and just put on clothes and then turn on the EdenPur when we're in the front room.  Same with bathroom, we have a ceramic heater that we turn on just before we shower and turn off afterwards.  

• Like 3

Picked up 4 chickens which I plan to roast and make both chicken and bone broth after I've vacuum sealed the chicken meats.  Also picked up a nice big package of London Broil which I was able to cut into five portions and a nice roast that I cut into 4 portions.  I don't buy red meats to often so this should last us quite some time.  I don't plan to pressure can any of it.  I'm going to try and cook up some doggie food for Abby-girl and get her off the commercial stuff as much as we can.  The vet pretty much "ordered" us to get her off grain-free stuff.  Said they've found out that it's causing heart problems in dogs.  When we ask when to wean her off it...he said "now".  Can't believe she'll be 7 this December.  Boy do we have some memories though!

• Like 2

On my way home from work today, I picked up some meat and bread to get through the rest of the week with.  There are vegetables in the house, but the storm took care of the meat in the freezer.  Got home to find out DS1 had made me a chocolate pie and a chicken pot pie for the same reason.  (He does not eat chicken pot pie.  I find this inconceivable.)  The next RFA to cauterize my lower-back nerves on the right side is tomorrow morning, and if it's like the last one, I will be asleep Tuesday (maybe walking and talking, but asleep) and goofy Wednesday and in pain Thursday.  So Friday I'm due back at the office.  Right now, I'm stuffed with food that is not particularly good for me but which has considerably soothed my nerves.  And reminded me of my plan to stock some more carbs as the "comfort vitamin."

• Like 1