MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I may not be putting this in the right place but!!!!

Many of us have pets or know people who do.

Most kibble has been contaminated dangerously with high vitamin D.

it can kill your pet!!!

Go to dogfoodadvisor.com and see if your food is on the list. Check back frequently as they are adding more brands as they find the contamination. AAFCO is a private company that is supplying the base for most dog foods. So if you see that name on your kibble bag you are probably in trouble.

• Thanks 3

Hope your dealership reads the Internet and finds out what they need to do for your vehicle, Annarchy.  Sheeesh!

Here'e the link for the High Vit D issue:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/dangerous-levels-of-vitamin-d-discovered-in-several-dog-food-brands/

:scratchhead:  Now they won't just dump in VitD....so what cheap part of the dog food is bringing in the VitD? 

Our brand isn't on the list....so far.  Koa's had it since puppy..but ya never know when they might change something.  I'll keep checking.  Thanks Twilight.  I'd heard of this vaguely but hadn't researched it yet.

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

Thanks twilight, ours isn’t on the list. 

Got the leftover apples dehydrating. Small pieces are for puff pastry. House smells like Christmas. Lol

House is clean. 

I’m tired. 

2B8DB1BB-13F8-46E4-A986-9F9DB0A6F699.jpeg

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Twilight said:

Vitamin D is used as a rat poison. It is guessed that they added the dead rats to the dog food in processing.........

I thot Caumadin/Warfarin is rat poison ....aka blood thinner {or rather, anticoagulant}. 

According to Wikipedia:

[ ...... The use of warfarin itself as a rat poison is now declining, because many rat populations have developed resistance to it, and poisons of considerably greater potency are now available. ... Unlike warfarin, which is readily excreted, newer anticoagulant poisons also accumulate in the liver and kidneys after ingestion.....]

Are they talking about Vit D then???

:baseballbat:   I'm thinking all sorts of very BAAAD thots towards anyone involved in putting POISONED RATS into dog food.  :tapfoot:   Think I'll make a copy of that LIST and keep it handy.  In case we ever have to switch dog foods.  Our brand is rather expensive but they eat more if it doesn't have to nutrient value they need. 

We suffered thru 18 YEARS of mice/rats before we'd chance the cat eating a poisoned one.  NOW we've set out poison cuz dog isn't in danger like the cat would be.  Responsible decision-making...what a concept!   

MtRider  :motz_6:

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

[ ...... The use of warfarin itself as a rat poison is now declining, because many rat populations have developed resistance to it, and poisons of considerably greater potency are now available. ... Unlike warfarin, which is readily excreted, newer anticoagulant poisons also accumulate in the liver and kidneys after ingestion.....]

Warfarin was created in the WARF building. Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation. It's across the street from University of Wisconsin Hospital. I like pointing new resident doctors out the window and asking them if they know anything about the WARF building. By the end of the story, they're wide-eyed and filled with a new fact. No doubt, they will discuss it at lunchtime with the other resident doctors.  :whistling:

It's one of the good things that has come out of our LIBERAL city. We always say, Madison ... 66 square miles ... surrounded by reality.  :laughkick:

• Haha 4

Jeepers I know how frustrating blood pressure issues are.  I wish we could figure out a pattern so we could avoid what causes it. Have you found one for your spikes & drops?

It started raining yesterday and isn't supposed to stop until Tuesday.  It's also chilly with highs in the low 40's.  Poor DH is freezing.  I am pretty insulated so it doesn't bother me.

It seems like everytime I scratch one thing off my to do list I have to add two more new ones.  How will we ever catch up?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Done for the day. 

Awwww, Momo, hope things smooth out for you. My DH has been turning up the heat too, because he’s been cold. I’m not sure why but, for now, I’m not gonna ask. 

I like your attitude, homesteader.  So many people don’t have a clue what goes on in the areas around them. :buttercup:

I still need to set up the live trap and catch the rodent that’s hanging around the mulch bin.  

We got a pint of dried spiced apples from the 6 leftover apples. And a couple puff pastries for desert in a couple of days. I’m not a sweet eater, but DH loves them.  Lol, I’ll make 2, he’ll have both. :happy0203:

C8F469E1-EE02-4EE6-8FC7-E125BB69C1C7.jpeg

• Like 2

Momo, I don't have a clue why mine goes up or down. The change happens so fast that I'm usually not even aware of it.

Then other times all at once I feel faint and get on the floor so I won't pass out and fall. Then I take my BP and it's normal (for most people) but a good reading for me is too low. That happened just a couple of days ago. :shrug:

• Sad 2

MtRider opens up her skull .....to check ....see if there reallllly IS STILL A BRAIN IN THERE!  :yar:  DH and I were checking some things we keep in a [hopefully] Faraday cage.  Everything checked out fine except the 2way radios.  The point of this check was....I'd been trying to remove the batteries from devices we don't use regularly.  Store batteries handy/nearby.  But not IN them so batteries can't get old and corrode...ruin the device. 

Apparently when I get a thot in my head, it doesn't alter easily.  Checked and the 2way batteries were dead.  I promptly took them out and dropped each 4-pack of AAAs into the trash.  Put "AAA batteries-lots" on shopping list.  :curtsey:   Packed up the devices in their red bag and it sat ready to return to Faraday cage when we dropped the newly purchased batteries in there. 

:sSig_help2:  About 12 hrs later, it dawned on me that RECHARGEABLE batteries should be on the list......cuz the 2way radios use them and you set the whole radio into a charger.....  Put them on the shopping list.

About 2 hours after that....full BRILLIANCE hit my brain.   "Rechargeable".....that means digging out the 2 battery packs from the bottom of the big trash bag [fortunately we separate kitchen garbage from trash]  .... put them back into the radios and set them on the charger.  This morning....why yes, they DID work. 

:gaah:   Is this a bad time or is life just gonna be THIS HARD CONSTANTLY from now on???????   That's just one example out of thousands...daily.

MtRider .....still leaving AAAs on list: regular and rechargeable!  :behindsofa: 

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Homesteader said:

Warfarin was created in the WARF building. Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation. It's across the street from University of Wisconsin Hospital. I like pointing new resident doctors out the window and asking them if they know anything about the WARF building. By the end of the story, they're wide-eyed and filled with a new fact. No doubt, they will discuss it at lunchtime with the other resident doctors.  :whistling:

It's one of the good things that has come out of our LIBERAL city. We always say, Madison ... 66 square miles ... surrounded by reality.  :laughkick:

I remember being a security guard at that building just after the Sterling Hall bombing, where a researcher was killed when it was bombed during the Vietnam war protests...the bomber was caught, convicted , got his college degree in prison, and when he got out promptly got a job working for the State of Wisconsin.  Weird up there.  Most folks do not remember how nasty things got during those protest days.  I grew up in the area and worked in Madison for years.  The joke I carried from the old days was "Madison wants to be Berkely, California... when it grows up" :rolleyes:    (I also learned to NEVER talk politics or religion to anybody in that town, because the closet activists there would use the power of complaining/whining to take revenge on those they did not agree with. And if you didn't stop & chat they would complain that you were unfriendly!  So I learned to stick to just weather & sports.  Go Badgers!  LOL - the "diplomacy of liberalism" has served me well all these years.) 

As you can see I have a love-hate thing about that city.  Taxes there were atrocious, too.

Have they gotten around to declaring themselves a sanctuary city, yet?  I remember when the Cuban boat immigrants came in Madison took lots of them as the city council actually decided they did not have enough minorities in town.  (No, I am NOT kidding!) They also got a high percentage of mentally disturbed in that lot, too....I learned my street Spanish dealing with them where I was working at a local hospital.  And the crimes were vicious - sponsors being stabbed to death, rapes, etc.  

Such wonderful things - the farmers market, the artists fairs, the symphony,  the high regard for the arts and accessibility to them for the common man, etc... interspersed with such liberal nonsense.  This new politics of nastiness in 'Washington comes as no surprise to me, I have seen it before.  In Madison.

It died down to a murmur after that bombing (which shocked folks into waking up, I think) and it makes me wonder what it will take to shock folks back to their senses again in this era of "business as usual" riots, mass shootings, and other atrocities.   I hope Madison survives.  It holds such beauty.

Edited by kappydell

Both of us worked at the homestead! Yes...the homestead :hapydancsmil: Hubby got the flooring down so we can walk around in it now.  The shower has been in for some time.  By removing everything and going with a walk-in 36" shower, vanity & toilet all on one side the bathroom seems to have almost doubled in size.  While we worked on that project I did some organization in the big pantry as well as labeling some of the goodies we had just set on the table & counter.  Got all that put away as well.  Since the bathroom is a somewhat a "Jack & Jill" bathroom (each bedroom has a door into the bathroom) and we turned the one bedroom into a pantry, we have decided to remove the door (we'll store it upstairs) and put in a "false wall" so that we can add some shelves on the bathroom side instead of having a door we have to worry about someone opening  (even though we had a lock on the bedroom/pantry side) that door. We'll resume work sometime this next week.  I need to wipe everything down and get things ready so I can do some turkey cooking and then canning there, I'll have a lot more room and the turkeys are in the freezer there. Going to be moving the major part of my canning equipment over there.  That will free up a lot of space in the small pantry I have here.  Abby-girl just lays down the rug I put down and watches me work...I'm in the kitchen and we have long canvas drapes covering the door to keep the dust etc. down while he's working in the bathroom etc. She's able to just nose her way through the drapes but still prefers to be where I'm at.  "She's a momma's dog"...as I'm reminded quite often :D

• Like 2

Yesterday we took Abby-girl to her favorite vets for her Christmas picture with Santa and Mrs. Claus.  She was quite nervous not knowing who all the people and dogs were, and we were a bit out of her sight.  But we got a good one!  She's 7 this month.  Wanna see? 

Abby with Santa & Mrs. Claus 2018.jpg

• Like 3

I want to clarify the vit. D and then I will drop the subject.

Vit. D is Cholecalciferol which is the most deadly rat, and mice for that matter, poison on the market and therefore being used to the point of rashness. Rats will eat it because it has neither smell or taste.

But it is also in human grade vitD and therefore should not be taken unadvisedly. Sun is natural, tablets are chemical. In humans overdose can lead to hypercalcemia and excess bone loss.

• Thanks 4

Cooked a roast on the firepit.  Pulled a bunch of paperwork for research & refiled it.  Cleaned the cast iron pot the roast was cooked in.  Ran a load of laundry.  Went to the post office and bank.  Went to the hardware store for a few air filters.  Got the Christmas cards ready to be addressed and sent.  And, now I'm going to take it easy.

:bouquet:

• Like 2

Not sure why I pay $24.00 a month for prescription insurance. Granted I got a lot of meds filled (8 counting the arthritis gel) and for three months at a time but I still had to pay $174.00 tonight. And at this time of year I should have met my deductible. Maybe I'm being unrealistic. I can only imagine what it would cost if I didn't have the insurance. Or maybe it wouldn't have been all that much more if I didn't have the Rx insurance. Wonder if I'm being taken? Wish I could get off some of these meds. Things will change next year when I have to get new doctors etc. I just hope for the better.

• Like 2

Another cold day but there was quite a bit of sun.  Days like this one will fool you, thinking it's warmer than it is.  Put an ad in our local internet service (we only pay $10 a year for it...just for the ads...no surfing) for used half pint canning jars.  A lady from another town will be in tomorrow morning with some half pint and pint jars...$3 a dozen.  I'll take what I can get!  That will leave my "stash" of canning jars safe.  Hubby finished up the widow's project and is waiting for her son to come inspect the work and pay him the balance of what he's due.  He's been billing in part to keep from getting ahead of the clients wallet.  Then hopefully we'll be back on to our homestead's bathroom and my kitchen cleaning.

• Like 2

Even tho my doc appt was in afternoon, it was kinda rushed to make it.  I was not having one of my better days.  The arches of my feet went out...esp left.  Good thing I have in-house chiro with an activator thing.  It mechanically gives a quick 'push' in a certain area.  Click click click.  Took a while but before we had to leave, I could walk normally again.  But still lugged the wheelchair along, JIC.  Didn't need it.  :amen:   Appt went as we expected.  Next ultrasound should give more data.  I'm TIRED!  Had leftovers and pie! 

MtRider  ....and fingers typing backwards and sideways!  Hmph!

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Not sure why I pay $24.00 a month for prescription insurance. Granted I got a lot of meds filled (8 counting the arthritis gel) and for three months at a time but I still had to pay $174.00 tonight.

Hubby went on SilverScript this past year and was extremely pleased with it. He had to switch because Walgreens would not accept his other one for 2018. It seems that other one is underwritten by CVS. DH also had to switch to a small pharmacy to get SilverScript. I think the insurance is around $34 month and his prescriptions are less then $5.00 each. He's been slowly getting back into shape and losing weight so his med costs are decreasing.  :hapydancsmil: I think he has to compare the prices each year and make a decision on who he wants to go with. I'm thankful I have the VA. It's affordable and nice having everything mailed to me.  :whistling:

• Like 3

SilverScript is what I have. I pay exactly $24.00 a month. I've had it about 2 years now.

The amount is kind of close but still not correct.  8 scripts @ $5.00 ea. = $40.00 x 3 month = $120.00.

Maybe some of the drugs are in a higher class rate. Probably the Ambian.

If I remember correctly, I could get a little discount if I filled them at CVS (SilverScripts preferred pharmacy) but I get fuel perks at my grocery store that add up to more than if I switched over.

Also, I think I will save around $2.00 a month on the monthly bill if I get on auto payment and a little more if I have them delivered.

I'm going to do all of that when I get moved. If I do it now, before I actually get moved, everything will get mixed up between the insurances and Social Security computers and it's not worth the hassle that I KNOW would happen.  BTDT.

Ya know, with a little more calculating, (fingers and toes helped) the $174.00 divided by 3 is really only $58.00 dollars a month. It just seemed like a lot paying for it for 3 months at a time. And I did get a lot of meds. Guess I should stop complaining before I look at the whole picture.  :blush:

P.S.

I have lost 5 pounds so I'm hoping that will kick start me on my way with my future med costs too. 

P.P.S.

I might be getting those discounts confused with my supplemental Medicare plan. Crimony, you need a financial advisor and a Philadelphia lawyer to navigate anymore.

• Like 3

I can relate, Jeepers.  :hug3:    SPEAKING of not figuring out things correctly........when formerly it would have been quite simple:

I was about to pull my hair out while dealing with my wheelchair today.  I thot there was a possible adjustment I hadn't seen before...that might help this wheelchair fit better.  DH came in as I was TRYING to tighten the nuts I'd loosened before I realized    1) I had the wrong combination of nuts for my purpose    2) purpose void cuz that's not what they adjust anyway  3)  I CAN'T EVEN DO MECHANICAL REASONING like I used to.....  :gaah:  :gaah:  :gaah:    4)  we definitely need new adjustable wrenches.  Both are so loose I couldn't see if I was opening the gap or it was sagging open on it's own.   :yar:  Was. Not. Happy. Camper.

But ...with DH there to help me reason out the differences [meaurements and otherwise]  between two wheelchairs, we made a choice.  1) we will replace the innertubes AGAIN on the current wheelchair....and possibly one other part [now that I know where to get those parts2)  We ordered a new, very lightweight chair with "bike brakes" up on the push-handles Cuz I often walk behind it like a rolling walker and have always thot a braking system would increase my comfort/safety a LOT!  :hapydancsmil:  We ordered a new "seat cane" as well.  I've worn out TWO of those handy devices!  Those are less than $40 and free shipping cuz ordered with wheelchair.  Folds up to carry or lean on. 

FINALLY....  cross that off my list.  Have no idea when it will ship but.... :shrug:  ...my part's done.

MtRider  ....Don't have to be disable to use one of these.....just tired!  ;)  Like Christmas Post Office lines....

10360.jpg

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

:hapydancsmil: Yeah Lady! Hopefully you will have the equipment you need. I’m so excited for you. 

I’m feeling like I need to refresh my ‘help’ systems. Walking sticks are everywhere I may need them at home, but, when I’m out and about, it’s tough. I find a wall, a table, shelf or anything I can lean on or against. When my legs give out, it’s tough.  Such is life. 

I don't use Silver Script etc., my thyroid pills are on the WM list, and cost me $10 for 3 months.  Hubby's...most of his are too.  One is expensive so we got a "card" thing that we took to WM and they discount that one.