MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

On 1/8/2019 at 6:33 PM, Mt_Rider said:

A suggestion about peeling potatoes

Hubby stayed home this morning and he took my big stainless steel bowl, filled it full of 'taters and sat in his comfy chair and peeled potatoes!  Then I dumped them into another stainless bowl of hot water, and I went to work filling my jars.  So...we managed to do 16 pints today! Wanna see? I'll clean and label them tomorrow.

Potatoes 1-9-19.jpg

• Like 3

Yep Homesteader...we bought six turkeys when they were on sale for 59 cents a pound.  We did that 2 years ago AFTER Thanksgiving and loved the meat all winter long.  Then last year they never went on sale after Thanksgiving, so we took advantage of the sale "before" Thanksgiving this year.  We also we blessed to buy four more of those lovely smoked, boneless hams at the Mennonite store so they're in the meat freezer also.  Also needed to re-stock potatoes, so that's why we bought the 50# of reds.  Lots of work ahead for food preservation.

• Like 2

Hubby stayed home this morning and he peeled potatoes in his comfy living room chair and I worked them up into pint jars.  Got 16 of them puppies ready to be cleaned and labeled in the morning. We eat a lot of potatoes around here..wanna see?

Potatoes 1-9-19.jpg

• Like 1

Just did a little cooking today.  Made a ham and potato casserole for DH, bbq chicken legs for me, hard boiled eggs for me and made brown rice for the pups.  Then Bible study this evening and a little tv.

• Like 1

I ran a couple of quick errands. It was very cold out there with the wind blowing so I didn't dawdle. 

Joann Fabrics is having a big sale so I stocked up on some fat quarters. Sale actually starts tomorrow but since they already had the signs up they had to give me the sale price. Nice. I'd like to make a few crafty things when I get moved and settled in. Maybe even sell a few things? They had some John Deere fabric that was just screaming g-sons name for a throw to have at my house.

I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a box of typing paper and some more ink. I want to print out all of my quilt patterns and put them in a separate notebook. That should have been done a long time ago.

I need to get a couple of those baby proof door openers too. Also, there are no door stops at the Indy house!  Dang. There are already two dings in the walls, that we noticed, behind doors. One is a pretty good size. we did them because they weren't there before. I can repair them especially since I planned to repaint but who takes the door stops? You could see where they used to be. Sigh. 

I picked up a neat little notebook at Wal-Mart too. It's like a new home planner. On one side of the page is a grid for sketching out a rooms dimensions and the facing page is lined so you can make notes. It's small but will be very useful especially since I'll be trying to figure out where to stuff all of my 3 levels of "treasures" from Ohio into 1 level in Indiana. I've never seen a notebook like that. It's about 5x6 or something like that. I like to make paper grids of my furniture and decorate that way. Saves on the back.

• Like 3

Washed up jars of potatoes, labeled them and got them in a box for transport to the homestead.  Then did the vacuuming...I'll be happy that the homestead has hardwood floors.  I told hubby this evening "what will people do in a life changing event if they don't have electricity to run a vacuum for carpeting?"  Yeah, I know...they pulled the rugs out doors, hung them over lines and beat the fire out of them.  Not.  Those little hand pushed jobbies work for light duty but they'll never pick up the real stuff that gets ground into carpets. I'll just put down runners beside the bed, the couch, and our chairs and keep dirt catchers outside both front doors and the back door. When hubby got home from doing some work for another customer (yes, another one called) we loaded up all the boxes of jarred foods and took them to the homestead and did some "shopping" from the pantry while we were there.  Doesn't take any time at all to shop there! LOL  They're calling for some serious snow in the whole area but we're set.  Only thing I might need is bread, but it doesn't take me long to make a loaf.  Besides, we also enjoy tortilla's, bannock, biscuits and muffins.  Also mixed up another roller ball bottle of thieves oil knock off, I was just about out.  Need to mix up another roller of my lavender/clary sage oil (I use it at night).

Edited by The WE2's
Added content
  • Like 1

I want to replace all of the carpet in the Indy house too We2. I like those Swifter dust mop things. You can easily make your own pads so you can wash them if you want to. That would be good if there is no electricity. I also think about things like a walker or wheelchair being easier on hardwood, or any hard surface, rather than carpet. 

Runners beside the bed is a great idea. I think I'd like that better than a round rug. I use one in front of the door (going out from the door and not across it) and I can do a lot of foot scuffing before I track a lot into the house. Especially in the winter. 

I'll do it a little at a time as money allows. It's good carpet so I'll keep it until it's too stained to look at. By then I'll have a 3 year old and a garden patch so I don't hold out much hope for it lasting beyond a couple of years anyway.

I have other major things to buy first though. Like a bed! Actually all new furniture. Mine now is from the 1970's and prior. Antique but not in a good way. 

Nice to hear Mr. is still getting work! I

Edited by Jeepers
Kindle again
  • Like 1

Hubby finished up current work projects so he'll attack ours...when we can get tunneled out from this snow!  Right now we have about 4 inches and it's coming down so much you can't hardly see.  He did make a quick run to Menards to pay his bill and found a loaf of bread there! LOL  Pricey, but didn't have to fight the Aldi crowds (he said the parking lot was almost full!) for just a loaf of bread.  The graders have kept the road out front pretty clear (it's a snow route...that's why I initially bought the place since I was alone with a disabled spouse)...but they won't touch the road at the homestead until all the regular city streets are cleared.  So...if we get the 6+ inches we'll be snowed in here and snowed "out" at the homestead.  There's no traffic down the back alley here and nobody to plow...I don't want him out there shoveling if we don't need it.  He's got sandbags in the back of the truck if we really need to get out.  The alley runs straight for 2 blocks to a convenience store, so if we get a run, we can get out to another snow route.   I jarred up 5 quarts of stew veggies...carrots, celery & onions.  

Oh...did I mention that we bought some "purple" wide mouth Ball canning jars at our favorite Mennonite source...for $5.95 a case!?  He ordered quarts and they sent him the wrong ones so he's selling them at his regular price.  We "hoarded" 7 cases! LOL  Wanna see what they look like?  The jars look dark because they're purple...me no care!  

Stew Vegetables 1-11-19.jpg

• Like 3

Oh my!  You ladies are getting so much done I can tell spring is approaching!  We are starting to slowly "pick down"/harvest the winter garden as the veggies mature.  We need to make room for spring stuff.  So a friend of ours got some gorgeous broccoli (we kinda sorta planted some for her, since she does not garden but loves the stuff).  I am cutting the spinach row permanently as I harvest for my every other day greens - instead of just the outer leaves so it can recover and make more I am cutting the whole plant off.  Ditto (but a little slower) on the collards and kale.  Lettuce is also getting cut, as it is getting impatient to bolt from those few days we had that were quite warm.  That's OK, I'm leaving one for seeds, the others I'm getting before they bolt.  Im eating prodigious salads!  We have more broccoli and cabbages that will be cut over the next month, and the kohlrabi stems are starting to swell.  I am looking for the early seed packets for green onions.  No luck yet, but the local nursery has camillias for sale and we both want some to put in.  Where we thinned the trees on our upper borders, we are thinking of planting an understory of shrubs - lilacs won't grow here but camillias will.  You can bet I'll order my tea Camilla (maybe two) too, putting them admidst the ornamental ones.  Our fruit trees have NOT been nibbled by deer (hooray) and only the peach has died, but it did so last summer.  The most enthusiastic tree is the plum, it is branching out like crazy.  

M is feeding the local deer, she likes to watch them.  We will see, if feeding them corn helps keep them from eating other things.  So far it has been working - they seem to prefer the corn. (We shall see if they eat this years' strawberry re- plants) Tonight we saw the fawn eating with a doe and two yearlings - we have a red cover for the spotlight so they don't spook as much when we light up the area.  We are also VERY grateful for auto deer whistles - they save the deer from running in front of our vehicle all the time.  And they are running around a LOT lately.  My brother delivers papers in the wee hours of the morning, and also swears by them for multiple kinds of critters.  He cherishes the ones we sent him (he cant find them in the stores up north).

For "work" today we started clearing the small trees & brush to make a walking path down to our lower yard.  We are saving the smaller-trunked trees to make a rustic hand-rail (de-barked of course) for our "wobbly" days, and when M's VA disability comes thru we will get a chipper and chip the rest to mulch the path.  I may even stoop to using a herbicide on the walking path to kill those blasted thorny green-briar vines as they are pretty thick down there.  But we will try mowing them first.  My requisition for the garden from tax refund this year is a compost tumbler - one with a crank to make turning easier - and tall enough to unload into the wheelbarrow or a short wagon.  M's is to replace the mini-tiller we use in our raised beds.  We are also planning a third raised bed, as we need more room.  Our frogs are singing and due to the rains the creek is high now.  So spring is definitely in the air!  

I go for my pre-surgery physical next week.  I should be there for my birthday (how rude of my body!) but I will just consider getting my neck fixed my present this year.  I want to be able to get around for yard work.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4

Love your jars. At first I thought you used Homestead Tessie's method of canning them with onion soup mix. I'm going to try that next year with carrots and potatoes.

Kappy, sending you prayers for your physical and for a successful surgery :pray:  :hug3:

Took it easy today, watching the neighbor build a brick fence. Listening to the neighbor kids play, watching birds feed & choose mates, while selecting nesting materials from the yard. 

Planted a piece of ginger root in a pot in the house.  Was surprised when I collected the soil from the garden, I think I ended up with several earth worms in the pot. 

I am very impressed with all the worms I have seen recently.   The ones I put in the lick tank have seemed to made it out the drain, worm signs all around it now and I am finding drowned worms on the sidewalk after the rain. 

When  I get back from TX, I will turn the garden and get it planted. DH is saving his cup of soup styrofoam cups so I can use them to start the seedlings. 

Tomorrow, God willing, I will be able to get the rest of my stuff done for the trip. 

• Like 3

Hubby shoveled part of his way out to be able to get the truck out...checked the homestead (drive by only) and he'll try to get enough of it shoveled out so he can get in and out.  The road crews only blade one lane on the side streets/roads but that's enough for him to get in the drive.  Here...it was more difficult because we have no street parking, only off alley parking...and the alley is almost a block long :-(  Miss B is still covered...wanna see?

Snow Storm 1-11-19.jpg

• Like 2

While hubby was shoveling snow I jarred up 3 half pints and one half of a half pint of cranberry-apple jam and 11 half pints of elderberry syrup/juice.  I'll put them in the extended pantry and won't have to worry about making any more for quite some time.  I had one that was only enough to fill a jar half full, so it's in the frig for daily use.  Same with Jam...3 plus a half jar...but I jarred up all four. As usual, I'll clean up the jars and get them ready to label and put away.  Wanna see?

101_0917 Cranberry Apple Jam 1-13-19.jpg

101_0918 Elderberry Juice 1-13-19.jpg

Edited by The WE2's
Added content
  • Like 4

Nothin' special...just did more laundry.  Hubby worked shoveling more snow at the homestead and that's done...we can now get in and out...BUT...they're calling for more snow this coming weekend!  Can we huff and puff and blow it back up to where it came from?  The pvc poles that held Abby-girl's tarp up over her kennel broke from the weight of the snow so hubby will have to put up new ones and buy a new tarp.  This rig has done really good for 2+ years, so it's about time.  Good thing she doesn't stay in it except during warmer weather, and then only for short times when we're going shopping and it's too hot for her in the truck.

I was going to run a few errands today but I got a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought better of it. My hair was having some kind of a special party going on on top of my head and the back was all ratted up. So tomorrow I'll shower early and try it again. 

• Haha 3
8 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I was going to run a few errands today but I got a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought better of it. My hair was having some kind of a special party going on on top of my head and the back was all ratted up. So tomorrow I'll shower early and try it again. 

My hair has party days too!  

• Haha 3

I've been trying to wash my hair for 2 days now.  But all the snow shoveling/sweeping froze up R shoulder.  Intense nerve pain but regular Nuprin can relieve it mostly.  It cannot be raised unless I wiggle it ...it clunks to different position...and raise it up with my L arm.  <_<  Not gonna happen while washing hair.  :grinning-smiley-044:  Good thing I'm a hermit on my mountain, huh? 

MS was realllly bad this morning.  Ah...let me define "morning".  Past two weeks I've slowly switched days/nites, kinda.  Going to bed at 3,4, or 5 AM and getting up after 5, 6, or 7 hrs of sleep.  :gaah:    I kept forgetting to take the sleep aid until LATE ...early morning.  :sigh:  This gets so confusing!  

Last nite I set an alarm on the laptop....took pill and was asleep by 1AM.  :happy0203:  Woke at 12 NOON....  :wacko:   I don't know if it's just that I can't go that long without protein....or I locked up....or it's the second day after I did a LOT....   I've been dreadful MS-sick today.  Barely walking with seat cane on one side and quad cane on the other.  Thankfully, it's been easing up as the hours go by.  Not getting anything done.  

MtRider ...this too shall pass....  and THEN I can wash my hair!!!!  :blink:

• Sad 3

Abby-girl and I took a ride with hubby to the homestead and took some of the things I've been jarring up over there.  Today I jarred up 5 quarts of Black-eyed peas and Pinto beans with a very thin tomato juice and a tablespoon of honey/molasses mix in each jar.  Should taste pretty good in an emergency...add some of my stew veggies, some of my potatoes and some of my chicken and we'll be walkin' tall! LOL  Then we took a drive to the Roost to check the mail there and "make our presence known" by hubby shoveling the "berm" that the graders always leave there, and then driving in and out of the driveway...and footsteps to the door etc.  Even though the power was out in that area, everything seemed to be aok.  Then home.  Abby-girl had a nice romp in her big yard at the homestead plus she "dances" the back seat of the truck all the way to and from wherever we're going.  So...she's worn out and tucked into her bed! 

• Like 1

:hi:

Made it to TX with almost nothing happening...  

First a double flatbed semitruck pulled out in front of me and drove 25 mph to the stop sign, he went through the 4 way, another truck went thru, and it was my turn, but the lady that sped up and got there afterwards, on the other side, decided it was her turn. She almost broadsided me, but my breaks worked. Then, a flat bed pickup pulled out in front of the line of traffic in front of us, and was going 25 mph... I saw no traffic coming, so I punched it to pass the 4 others in front of me.... oops.... an officer was attempting to pull over a car, who was only doing 20 mph. With them in my rear view, the very next intersection, someone was laying on the ground in the middle of the road...another person was trying to get her up & out of the way. Yikes!  She seemed ok and she was smiling... really?!  Crazy day.  

Soooo... tomorrow morning I am the driver to pick up Ladies for the Chamber meeting...  time to get some sleep 💤. 🛏