MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Mt_Rider - you make me exhausted just reading about your adventures.   :hug3:  I also struggle with hypoglycemia. I come from a family of diabetics. Leave it to me to be the opposite. I always carry protein bars with me if leaving the property. I just don't last very long if I run out of fuel.   :0327:

Today, we got a call from a friend who cleans out foreclosed-on homes. Lordy, I'd forgotten how horribly people live these days. There was mountains of trash, anywhere from things for babies to very old people. We rummaged through the trash for several hours. I wish I'd taken a mask with me. Too much coughing. I did find some buckets and containers for my greenhouse, and some handicap appliances I'll clean up and take to our local Aging and Disability Resource Center. DH found lumber, a sump pump to aerate our pond, cleaning supplies (the owner forgot to use them) :runcirclsmiley2: and a few pieces of PVC for my garden projects. We found books anywhere from the Bible, to the New Age, some other cult books, and Alcoholics Anonymous. The music CD's also ran the gamut.  I told our friend that the garbage service is weekly in our area. I guess the former owner had some major issues. We have to decide if we'd like to bid on the place as another fixer-upper.  :0327: We would end up renting it out as it's only about 1/'2 mile from our current residence. The market is extremely short on rentals.  :happy0203:

• Like 4

That’s great Homesteader. Some interesting salvage and future potential. 

We are done cleaning the house and have turned our attention to packing. I packed silk and lightweight items to reduce the space. DH did the same, with the exception of his warm fuzzy sweat pants. Jackets are chosen, they will be space fillers, when I pack the car. 

We have our bug out tent, warm blanket, spare real tire and the doughnut. A repair bag-tools and car supplies. Standard operating kit. 

Then, the ferrets will go next to the tire. We put down the back seats, giving the area more room for the dogs. I am taking the dog’s blankets, that normally cover their beds, and I’ll cover the back seats with them. 

The animal food, dishes and all the water will fit nicely under the folded back seats. 

And, now DH wants to get more rye seeds and straw, tomorrow, to cover the dirt at the edge of our yard. “A week without the dogs running around.”  OK. (?) we shall see. 

The rest of the packing, the standard BOB will go in with the suitcase. 

My list is big, but compact. You never know when something might happen. 

Here’s DH playing ‘fetch’ with Gunny.....Anticipation.......

98BA9C5B-719E-45AD-8BAB-CA4C91AB0CA8.jpeg

• Like 4

Cool, Ambergris! 

DH told me today that one duck was missing last nite....  They're in the pen for winter now.... Meaning...raccoon?  Bobcat?  What takes from inside chain link high fence?  :scratchhead:  ....and I forgot to count tonite.  I'm not on my game these days ...cuz I ALWAYS count. 

MtRider  .....can I be done now?  :0327:  

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Putting down newspaper to park on usually lets you know what's leaning and where it's leaking from.  The newspaper holds puddles better than the floor, and you can smell them without throwing out your back.

Good idea but in the winter newspaper won't last long under a car because of blowing wind when the garage door is opened and closed and lots and lots of snow melt dripping from under the car. There is even a drain in the middle of the floor for run off. But...I could probably get one of those big packing boxes (like from U-Haul) and leave it flat and put that under there. It would probably be heavy enough and If the fluid is colored I'd notice.

Hopefully, I can get it into the shop for a good overhaul this spring. Tax refund will help.  :sigh: 

198 days until Social Security kicks in. But who's counting.  :whistling:

• Like 1

Sweet potato cheesecakes turned out perfect and delicious!  Very little to bring home from Church potluck!  Also got my $5 white Christmas tree from the thrift shop up, lit and decorated.  At first I didn't like the white tree much but now that it is lit it looks pretty good!  Taking dh to doc tomorrow and hopefully not much else.  Have a good day folks!

• Like 1

I've been awol for a bit..too much going on again!

We had to do alot of septic work.  Not in the budget but had to be done.  We went several days without a flushing toilet. Definitely not fun.

DH has had a slew of Dr. appts. Nothing serious but he is aging so things are slowing down bit by bit.  He is still losing weight.  He still looks good but soon he will probably start looking haggard. Sometimes it is rough when you love someone so much and they are slowly going downhill.  I really try to cherish him as much as I can.  He is such a good man.

Another friend died.  He suffered so much and all 3 of his children had already died so he was having a hard time.

Our neighbors have acquired a pack of dogs.  They have been coming over here to eat our food.  They also killed some chickens and scare our dogs.  I feel for the dogs since they are neglected. The neighbor is an idiot so there is no use talking to him about it. DH has been having to beef up our dog food protection, chicken pen etc.

It sure doesn't seem like the holidays are nearly here again.  It seems like it's every month or so.

I sure hope this is an "easy week" with no big problems.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Good Morning!

Gunny didn’t want to be left alone last night, but eventually calmed down and I was able to get some sleep, until Temporance tried to climb on the bed. New environment...

This morning, I opened the shutters, in the kitchen and den, and was able to watch the neighbor handle her large German Shepherd. 

It’s a sad success story. A couple of years ago, MIL and I noticed the dog having trouble walking. Hip displacia. He was managing for quite some time. She’d carefully watch him and give him help when he needed it. Earlier this year, he had surgery. She would take him out, using a harness around his waist and let him move around, all the while, trying to get his back legs under him. MIL said she took him to water therapy daily.  Last month, MIL mentioned the “puppy” has a wheelchair and goes for walks every morning. 

This morning, I watched as she hooked his wheels on him. He seemed so excited, yet very docile, through the whole process. Then, as they walked to the gate, I could tell he is completely adapted to his new mode of transportation. His neck and front legs are muscular and he motivates the wheels like a pro. I noticed that he doesn’t move his tail or back legs at all when he walks. I almost cried seeing the love and care his “momma” gives him.  

• Like 4

Standing in the living room with dog.  Suddenly there is a VERY LOUD CRACK.....rumble, rumble, rumble from right over my head.... on the roof. 

:behindsofa:

:scratchhead:

Santa's arriving early?  :santa:

Weather is turning to very large hail?  :twister3:

Weather is cold, sunny and so barking dog and I go out to the hill within the goat pen.  Well yes, there is ...SOMEthing on the roof.

After fetching the binoculars for a closer look, I'm wondering if a plane dropped off a small frozen ball of goods???  :unsure: 

No planes. 

But there are a lot of our huge black birds circling around, chasing each other off. 

DH and I decided today that the mysterious package up there must be part of a hip bone to some animal.  Dropped by a bird. 

CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE going into the ER with a head wound and telling this story????   :huh:  :imoksmiley:  :shrug:  

MtRider  ..... Sheeeeesh....life is just toooo weird! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

That’s nuts! MtR. 

When we got here, MIL showed us a letter she got from her neighbor in back of her house. They said they were going to be doing work on the back wall. Tuesday morning they started. Today, it looks like this. It is so tall we cannot see over it. Very interesting process watching the guy build it. 

18E7F0C5-A1F4-4114-8C5A-DFB2E76118FB.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow Mt. Rider, that is the first time I've heard of that one. I'm surprised birdy didn't come back for it. Good thing it isn't summer or else that thing could get ripe sitting up there. Some people don't realize some of those big birds like eagles and hawks can carry small animals like dog and cat size. I'm pretty sure Miss Koa isn't in any danger...from anything!  :D

Gee Annarchy. Looks like your MIL's neighbor might be Mr. Trump's winter snow bird home.  They have 'the wall' and their guard tower up. Cool!

• Haha 2

Wall and guard tower....indeed!

It looks like the top part is dry-stacked???  Looks nice.  IS that a guard tower?  :unsure: 

Yeah....we have had small pets picked up by the golden eagles.  We have some bald eagles here too.....saw one at a rehab exibit.  WHOA!  They are huge!  Tall as a third-grader!  :wacko:

So I just looked up the name of the very large black birds we have here....turkey vultures.  Couldn't remember it  :sassing: There were at least ten of them circling around.....cuz somebody dropped the goods.   :rolleyes:  Wish SOMEBODY would return and collect the goods cuz we don't even have a long enough ladder to get up and get rid of it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_vulture

They have that silver portion on the bottom of their wings as seen from the ground as they fly. 

Wonder if it damaged the shingles where it CRACK landed?  Sure scared the hooey outta me and Koa!

MtRider  .... Happy THANKSgiving everyone.  :pray:

Well this thread sure went to the birds fast! Turkey Vultures aka Buzzards return to Hinkley, Ohio on March 15th. every year like clockwork. It's just a few miles south of me. It's a huge deal around here with a festival and everything. People sand around and stare as the sky hoping to be the first to spot one. When the Buzzards return that is a good sigh all is right with the world and winter is over. :D

If that is just a bone up on your roof then maybe it was one of the birds cleaning out the nest. A couple of years ago I was watching an eagle nest from the before the eggs hatched to when the eaglets fledged. It was fascinating to watch it all 24/7 live. I learned a lot.

I remember when Annarchy mentioned about the 'tower' over there. It's really a playhouse for the kids. Correct me if I'm wrong Annie! 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Looks like your MIL's neighbor might be Mr. Trump's winter snow bird home.  They have 'the wall' and their guard tower up. Cool!

:grinning-smiley-044:  

I suppose it is a play house. It has a slide attached at the base, a rope swing and ladder. It’s awfully high tho. Maybe they planned it for when their kid gets older. :shrug:

They made their pool into a pond, with a bathtub waterfall and a fountain. It is green, with gold fish and a large turtle. Definitely a work in progress still.  It has potential, it just isn’t there yet, at all.

Yes, MtR, dry-stacked. When the guy would dump the shovel full of cement on, we noticed a little dust blowing off. Some of those rocks are huge. DH said the guy is definitely very strong to be able to lift them. 

They still need to put the finishing cement and the top apex on. I doubt they will be working today. We shall see. I’m amazed how much they did in two days. 

We have flocks of vultures around here. They come and go all year long. This time of year, we watch flocks of crows migrate into our state. Snowbirds. :icon19:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Goodness!  He’s out there working on that wall already this morning. 7am on Thanksgiving. Wow. 

Tuesday morning I got a text from the house sitter, one of the hens died. Sheesh!  She couldn’t do it while we were there, nnooooooo....she had to wait ‘til we were gone.  I feel bad for the sitter, she is not a ‘farm’ person. I plan on getting her a Thank You card and a small gift, for having to deal with that. 

• Sad 3

House hunting.  Saw a cottage I could afford in great condition that would be perfect for two people, on a bit over half an acre, in a neighborhood where most people have either half-acre or quarter-acre lots and where front-yard gardens are very common.  Then found out that half the lot was not going to sell with the house.  Sigh.

• Sad 2

Here’s the completed wall. 

AA7806D7-6D42-4827-BC59-B39746BB3A26.jpegBrisket is in the oven. DH is gonna Cook green beans and bacon, I will cook the stuffing and MIL will cook the mashed potatoes.  Numnumnum..... and the neighbor brought over a pumpkin pie and whipped cream. 

• Like 2

So....did he take a turkey baster and squirt cement slurry into the spaces between the stones?  :) 

Is this the normal way of building stone walls?  Dry stack and then apply the cement?  :scratchhead:

Had a nice day.  Short day with folks.  Lotta shrimp/veggies and fried oysters came out tasty.  Hour conversation with our Maui Ohana.  Then I began to get muscle cramps so we headed into the sunset......literally  B)     Whoooo....piercing bright. 

MtRider  ...tired.

• Like 1

Went through the cottage, but it is occupied and aggressively clean--and it still smells of mold.  I suspect there's mold in the attic or some other place inaccessible.  Sigh.  Saw two other places that need more repair than their prices would allow. 

I came home after Church and made a turkey pot pie.  Then finished addressing and stamping all Christmas cards to send out.  21 this year.  Tomorrow is a Walmart day and see my health insurance lady.  Then come home and aggressively cut roses back.  That is about enough, I think

Home safe & sound. The animals are settled in and I’ve been doing laundry all day. Between customers and bookkeeping, it’s been a busy day. 

One thing has me perplexed. My mulch bin is next to the alley, in a culvert designed for garage cans, back in the old days. I used a piece of thick glass, that once was part of a 75 gal. fish tank, for the back side of the bin, against a plank that keeps it in place. When we got home, someone had pulled it out and moved it inside the fence?  Really????  What for??? Did they try to steal it?  I sincerely have no clue why they would have pulled it up.  The straw, grass, and other mulch items were 2-3 foot deep. 

Anyway, I dug all the mulch out and put it back, then returned all the materials back. Work I normally would not have had to do.   Arg. 

That's strange Annarchy. I'd think if they were going to steal it they wouldn't have bothered putting it inside the fence. Maybe they thought it was in a public area and was moving it onto your property. Maybe they thought they were doing you a favor. Who knows. Human beans are a strange species.

I have a raging migraine that is making my head, face, jaws, eyes and neck hurt really bad. And it's making me nauseous.  I'm going to go take some OTC meds, turn the fan on, put the heating pad on my neck and snuggle down in bed with the Kindle and hopefully fall asleep.

• Sad 1

Asked my dh to pull out the Christmas decorations for me this morning. And then spent the rest of the day decorating. It feels very Christmas-y in here now. :wub:

Jeepers, I hope you feel better! Migraines are miserable things.

Annarchy, glad you're home, but that is SO WEIRD about your mulch bin. I wonder why someone would do that.

Edited by babysteps
  • Like 1