MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

There you are, Jeepers!  I was getting worried....and with some reason.  Nasty headaches are AWFUL!  :(  Glad it's finally passing....let you recover. 

I'm not feeling up to par.  Just fatigue and not always walking well.  But towards evening I get to feeling better and can get some things done.  :shrug:

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Well, we thought we had it licked, but.........

Got down to Eatonton, GA (our new home base) and offloaded our U-Hauls & turned them in. So far so good.

Found a nice motel, pet friendly and signed in for 2 nights.  Nice place.

Went to extend our stay for the week it would take to get the mobile home on our lot......NOT!!  It seems the clerk made a mistake, and this pet friendly motel has a one pet limit.  We were grudgingly allowed to stay for the two nights though, since we already paid for them.

Went to check on our RV in storage.   NOOOOOO.   Windhshield was broken, fiberglass fenders scraped and broken front and back, passenger side mirror broken, front awning had been pulled out and put back improperly (it was hanging out and the cover was not over it).  U-Haul will supposedly pay for repairs, the employee says.  Nonethelss, now that photos are taken, we will be taking it to a nearby RV park, to live, since NONE of the pet-friendly motels want multiple pets staying there.  Plus we suspect the fur-babies will be more comfy in their nice, familiar motor home.

We are afraid to ask 'what next'.....

We did go out and physically see our land - it is beautiful, looks like a park.  It will need some lawn work, some trimming, but still - it is gorgeous.  We also got to look inside our new mobile home, at least the places we could get into without unwrapping it.  We are definitely getting excited....

IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3274.JPG

IMG_3276.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

• Like 4

It looks lovely!  What's the cement thing?

My house-buying adventure has gone off-track.  Turns out there was a HOA after all.  Only two pets allowed, and they must be kept inside the house.  No chain link or other metal fencing allowed.  No vegetables visible from ANY street.  No flower beds without specific approval.  No trees planted without specific approval.  No chickens.  No window air conditioners.  No generators.  ETC ETC ETC

• Sad 2

Coooool kitchen, Kappy!   The whole house looks airy and spacious.  :thumbs:  Now to get it installed into the foundation/plumbing/etc!!!

NOT cool about how much damage and theft has been going on for you.  HOW OUTRAGEOUS.  I'm praying that all is restored to you!!! :pray: 

Property looks beautiful....with that Georgia red dirt!  I dug my hands into that GA dirt up at Darlene's farm....digging sweet potatoes!  :yum3:    It sure does grow food!  :lois:

Ambergris' question....is that cement block thing a BBQ grill ........ :hidingsmile:  .......or the entrance to a bunker?  :lol:

==========

Ambergris:  RUN quickly away from that HOA-invaded place, sheeeeeesh!  :runcirclsmiley2:  Do people go from their cubicle at work to their cubicle at home and never look up and around themselves?  Horrors!  I'll take lions, coyotes, and bears {oh my} any time over the 2-legged version of predators.  I canNOT even imagine living under rulings like those you listed.  :0327:

=========

:unsure:  ......speaking of lions, coyotes, and bears.....  Oh MY, indeed!   Just before I went down to feed tonite, my up-hill neighbor called to ask about the mountain lion incident by my pond. 

THE WHAT????

Oh...not your pond?  A deer was taken down by a Mt lion....she says. 

Um....even if it's not my pond....we're one of just a few and they're all VERY close to right here.  VERY!  I can see one of the others from here.

RATS!

OK, just recently I'd just thot maybe I could quit LITERALLY "loading for bear" every time I went down to feed....cuz it's December. :santa: They hibernate.  But it's been so very warm-ish.  

No, we saw a bear just last week....she says.

:sigh:   So BEAR AND MOUNTAIN LION sightings right HERE.

Tonite I was "loaded for bear and lion" when Koa and I went to feed.  She gets all excited when she sees me handling "loaded things" and she got the horses nervous, snorting, and staring......   :unsure:    Or....WAS there something that the horses smelled?  I 'stood watch' until everyone kinda settled back down. 

Have I ever mentioned that although I'm cautious/wary/ready/aware with all of our wildlife around here......mountain lions creep me out!  :wacko:   Cuz they're quiet....sneaky....REALLLLLLY BIG WITH TEETH TO MATCH....climb trees and rock ledges...and they like short prey..... 

I've been up here for near to a couple decades....living the outdoor life, etc.  But while I've NEVER SEEN a Mt lion.....  :unsure:   .....that doesn't mean they haven't seen me!  :yum3:

MtRider   ....ah sheeesh!  "Loaded things" are so heavy to carry!  :faint3:  And I'll be having more than one .....plus dog.

I'm so sorry about the damage to your rv, Kappy!  There is really no excuse for that much damage and then not to tell you?  Do you happen to have before photos?  That might help.  Your home and land look excellent to me!  I'm excited for you all!

And Mt. Rider, I don't suppose you could come up with a long holster for your pup's back so you wouldn't have to carry everything?

I did a little shopping and a little bill paying to day.  I'm going to make about 25 to 30 banana breads for gifts.  Some of them the little tiny loaves for single folks.  Running around in town just wears me down!  Then came home and washed sheets and blankets and 3 dogs!  Dinner was a frozen burrito.  LOL  Only so much gets done in a day!

2 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Bears eat people limbs first, while they're still alive.  

:runcirclsmiley2:

Ambergris, HOAs are the worst nightmare I can imagine. Yikes!

Mt. Lions, bobcats and packs of coyotes come down from the mountains in the winter around here.  

Your ‘big dog’ should keep the lions at a distance, MtR. 

Kappydell your property looks wonderful!

DH had to go for jury duty. Poor baby hates to get up early, he had to be there at 8am. 

I’m catching up on some chores and doing the monthly books. 

Keeping you all in my prayers. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Bears eat people limbs first, while they're still alive.  

:wacko:  I'll keep that in mind. 

But yeah, with Koa on guard....and making enough racket snuffling her way thru our path....wildlife USUALLY does stay outta the way/outta sight.  But there are personalities within each animal population.  Some are just 'mean' or grumpy.  Perhaps injured or ill or very hungry.  That can change how they act around humans/domestic dogs.    :unsure:  And of course one does not EVER want to surprise a predator or RUN AWAY [which triggers the "chase prey" instinct.]

I do have a protocol...always unlock the cab of my pickup on both doors.....in case I have to get in quickly from the other side!  Bears, of course, can easily rip the door off of vehicles....iffen they have a mind to...  {ask my neighbors W/N about W putting the huge garbage bag into their SUV before he left early for work........to save N lifting it when she took trash in later.  Fortunately (?) the door wasn't locked and bear merely opened it.....to get in....}

RE:  dog carrying a 'loaded thing'  ......  welllllll, then I'd have to catch her to get it back.  Iffen she was in attack/protect mode, that holster might not be quite...available.   { HOLD STILL you crazy dog and I'll handle this!} :tapfoot: 

MtRider   :lol: 

• Haha 3

LOL  I wasn't sure how user friendly, your dog is!  

Taking dh to the eye doc tomorrow for a prescription so he can get real glasses!  Hopefully, me too.  We have both been using readers for about 25 years.  Making chili when we get home tomorrow as our high is supposed to be 41 degrees.  Gotta put more hay in the goat pen!

• Like 1

We are in the camp grounds (if you can call RV living 'camping'....it can be pretty cushy).  Pets are all happy and snoozing because they are in familiar territory.  We are having electrical issues, so refrig and satellite TV are out of service.  The refrig we can live with, but we paid big $$$ for the satellite dish on the RV so tomorrow will be calling the company to come fix things.  Meanwhile, a nice peaceful everning listening to the local oldies radio station and planning the layout of our new home is pleasant....deciding where to put the car port, the garden shed, where the RV will be parked (there is a 'country driveway' as well as the usual one on the property), and where to put the dogs' fenced in playground.  We also are planning what place to put the gardens, orchards, and the storm shed when we get one (hopefully after tax returns). 

We have NO idea what that concrete structure is....old pump house?  old smoke house base? giant compost heap?  outhouse base?  it is basically a 15x10 ft rectangle with an opening on one side.  If we did want to use it, it would be easy to roof it over, anyway.  If it was not so far from the planned house, it would make a swell generator shed.  Meantime, who knows, tis a mystery......

When we walked our boundaries we found the creek in the 'back' is actually entirely on our property, in a gully like ravine area.  We are pondering how to best use this resource....and how to best access it, its DEEP and STEEP.  For now it will probably be where I plant my 'wild' edibles and medicinals in a wooded setting.  Good news is that intrusion is unlikely, its would be hard work for the average interloper (they tend to be lazy around here).  Someone else might consider it a candidate for 'clean fill' but I do not want to harm/alter/eliminate the small creek; we value our added 'water resource'.  We might put in some covert rustic steps in the future, right now it is nearly a 25 foot steep drop.  (Scenic, though.)  It would be pretty seeded in wild flowers and native medicinal herbs, bramble fruits and other native edibles.  (I'm favoring a Jerusalem Artichoke patch, 'wild' muscadine grapes, and some nice thorny bramble fruits for starters.)  The idea is to make it look like nothing useful is in there....a guerilla garden at its most invisible.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, Ambergris said:

It looks lovely!  What's the cement thing?

My house-buying adventure has gone off-track.  Turns out there was a HOA after all.  Only two pets allowed, and they must be kept inside the house.  No chain link or other metal fencing allowed.  No vegetables visible from ANY street.  No flower beds without specific approval.  No trees planted without specific approval.  No chickens.  No window air conditioners.  No generators.  ETC ETC ETC

Did you already buy or was it a near-miss?  I'd be running the other way!  (Living in the city was bad enough what with the city council passing all kinds of odious laws to justify the salary they voted themselves. )  HOA are worse in my opinion.  Hopefully you did not yet finalize it....?

I had to call the fence company today. I signed a contract Nov. 9th. and they said it might take 2 weeks to get here because of the bad storm we had a few days before I called them. Understandable. Well, it's been almost a month since I signed the contract.

Last Wednesday they said I was on the list for the afternoon and what they couldn't finish they would come the next day. They came out and took away the fence panels (half of them had already fallen anyway) and I haven't seen them back yet. That was six days ago.

They still have to remove the fence posts, fill the holes in with dirt, remove a huge tree, make a stump out of the fallen tree, cut down one hanging branch on another tree and remove a small pile of old fire wood.

Luckily, I haven't paid them a penny. I just called and they were "out of the office". I left a voice mail and I was trying so very hard to not sound angry but I know it came out that way. I don't want to tick them off too bad until the work gets done. I just couldn't fake it though. When I'm mad it shows.  

I know within that month they have taken new people ahead of me. Especially this time of year when things are slow for them. I really detest liars. :angry:

Kappy.....I've heard that blackberry brambles would grow to be impenetrable ....if you wanted to keep your backside covered.  But having your own path to the water resource would be important....covert steps, as you say.  :thumbs:    New land tho......exciting!  :happy0203:  And no WI winter! 

Ah Jeepers.....the age old dilemma of getting people to do what they say they're gonna do.....when they say they're gonna do it....etc.  :sigh:

Miki.....I know the story about using readers.  I have book print size readers.  And mid-range -computer print readers.  And if I read tiny print, I put on one of each to double up the effect.  :buttercup:    I need bi-focal in those two ranges but not distance.  I'm still pretty good at distance.  DH is the opposite; takes glasses off to read.

Heading to library to use their Internet to download the FREE ebooks I've "bought" for the past month...or so....  Our usage percentage bounces from the 60s% to 90s% .....with no discernible pattern that we've ever figured out.  :tapfoot:  We just hit 90% today. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Home from eye doc for dh.  He got his ordered from VA.  I have an appt. scheduled for Monday and know which frames and type I am ordering.  

We decided to get each other little gifts from thrift shops if we can find something so there is something to unwrap on Christmas.  That and the glasses shall constitute any Christmas gifts to each other.  

I'm sorry about the fence people you are dealing with, Jeepers!  Our fence guy just never finished.  We are still missing a section of wire on the bottom (where our goat was escaping) and a section of top rail and some caps too.  That doesn't include the deck and back door that were never finished out either.  Oh well.  Local help.  

We went for Chinese food today so I will make chili tomorrow and in the afternoon the 30 banana breads.   Have a good evening you all!

3 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Kappy.....I've heard that blackberry brambles would grow to be impenetrable ....if you wanted to keep your backside covered.  

Ahem. Depending on your climate, they absolutely will... but they'll also take over your corner of the planet if you let them. Himalayan or Armenian Blackberry are considered a horribly invasive weed in the PNW because they grow so fast and are so hard to kill. 

So... just... be VERY careful where you plant them! :blink:

• Haha 1

Got most of the laundry done today while Mr. worked at the homestead still removing "stuff" from what used to be the bathroom.  Found termite damage from probably years ago, so he's removing all of that.  Also removed old floor joist.  Is now in the process of pouring "grout" concrete down into the blocks that make up the foundation on that part that's under the bathroom.  They just built it as an addition, and only on concrete blocks...no re-bar no nothing :-(  Over the weekend we had such beautiful weather that we rented a HUGE tiller and Mr. tilled the deep mulch bed and also tilled the new bed where we'll be transplating the blackberries and raspberries come spring.  Got the containers all emptied and ready for next spring too!  While he was tilling, I enventoried the two deep freezers and re-arranged things to where the frig freezer has only fruit, the big upright has only meats  and fish etc., and the chest freezer has veggies.  Now to sort out the chest freezer here as well as the frig freezer.  You know how one seems to just "stash" stuff where it will fit? LOL 

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 3

Wow, Ambergris!  So glad you were able to cancel.  I suspect you would have found living in that neighborhood 'less than optimum'.  

Today when we made our report to the Sheriff's dept on the damage to our RV, he said "you are moving to sunrise drive?" "yes, why".  "No neighbors, hope you ladies have guns in case something happens".  "We have lots of them." Hmmmmm.  We told him I am retired LEO, and roommate is former DI from the army.  "They y'all will be OK out there".  LOL.  He did not understand that for me, anyway (less so for Mary) the isolation is one of the things I LIKED.  He was a very nice fellow.  

We got good news, the house can be put on the lot as early as Friday, unless we get the forecasted rains on Thursday and Friday; then it might be Saturday.  We have also met with our car-port supplier, as he will be able to put it and our shed in once the house is there and electricity available.  Sooooo things are coming along.  The pets are so much happier to be 'at home' in 'their' RV.  Its the same one we stayed 6 months in last winter.  So they are no longer stressing from the moving, then the travel, and I must admit, I'm also much more relaxed now.  Dang, moving was quite the odyssey.....

• Like 3
3 hours ago, The WE2's said:

You know how one seems to just "stash" stuff where it will fit? LOL 

:whistling:  Oh yeeaaahh!  I know that one well!  But I absolutely LOVE organization by type, etc instead of puzzle pieces!  :buttercup:

3 hours ago, Ambergris said:

My realtor is not happy.  

Next time he'll know NOT to get you into an insane HOA situation!  Hmph!

Whew....busy day for me....and I've not had too much 'busy' lately with my low energy.  Brought down a load of clothes for washer.  Got ready...packed up laptop...pushed DH  {he does tend to dilly-dally when he and Koa roam the hillsides  LOL  }   Finally we got on the road with both vehicles.  First stop - fill my 'ole truck with gas.  Since it mostly takes me down and up our steep driveway, it doesn't need gas often.  Also got gas into two of our emptied gas containers.  [note to self....get Stabil

Then we both headed over to library.  DH had some tax classes to study/pass tests.  I badly needed to download over a month of FREE eBooks to my laptop.  But we've had to watch our Internet usage so closely.... :sigh:    It was so nice to get my books  :wub:    As expected, I finished before DH and went on home.  By the time he finished [just before library closed] Koa and I were out taking her evening walk on the road.  The last chore of "feeding".  DH was SOOOOOOO glad he didn't have to feed tonite.  He was pretty wiped out from intense study AND.....SHEEEEEEESH, IT'S COLD!  :frozen:   :frozen:  :frozen:   Even I was cold tonite...long after I got back inside!  Whoooo!  DH doesn't have good circulation in his hands so he's miserable outside in winter. [getting him hunting warming packets for his mitten/gloves for Christmas]

Then too, we're still on Predator Alert so feeding early is better than feeding in "The Gloaming".  :hidingsmile:  Switched load from washer to dryer before feeding and grabbed the "Don't Wrinkle" things on our way up the stairs after feeding.  The rest can be picked up from dryer tomorrow....after the sun warms things up!

We've had a reallllly nice warm-ish fall....extended into what is usually very much WINTER up here in the Mts.  Tonite will be the third time we'll go down BELOW ZERO at night.  [Thankfully, we warm up in the day]  Right now....10:45PM  ...... MINUS 10 degrees. 

MtRider  ........  If I don't look, will it still be fall tomorrow morning?  :frozen: 

• Like 2

Glad you dodged that bullet Ambergris. Realtor may have been unhappy but not nearly as unhappy as you would have been. They will try to make you feel guilty and then move on to someone else. Good thing you found out ahead of time!

I called the fence company yesterday to try to get a fire lit under them and they didn't return my call. So, I just called them back again. I plan to call every day until...whatever. They did answer the phone today so I suppose I'm making some progress. She said "Glen" hasn't been in the office today but my notice will be first on his desk when he arrives. It's after 3:00pm when I called and he still isn't in the office? And he didn't respond to my call yesterday when I called at 10:30am yesterday?

That sort of thing really ticks me off. I hate when I get ignored by business people. I'm pretty reasonable if they just acknowledge me but I REALLY become offended if I'm ignored. Secretary could have called back to say they received my message so I would know they are still breathing over there. Same thing when I go in a retail store. I don't expect to be waited on right away especially if I see they are busy. Just say 'Hi' to let me know you know I'm there. Nine times out of ten I'll smile and say, 'No hurry' and mean it.

I told her that now it's snowing. She said that's okay because they work all year around. That isn't the point.  Sigh.

Why don't people want to take your money? When it's all said and done I'll owe them close to $1,700.00 and they don't seen to care. Plus I haven't paid them a penny yet and they have taken 17-18 fence panels away. I don't get it.

It feels like the time I waited for over a month to hear from my doctor's office about a mammogram. Pick up the freaking phone. I have an answering machine if I'm not home. Put that ball back in my court. I can handle the responsibility of a phone call.

AND, my snow plow guy hasn't called this year to confirm if he will still be plowing my driveway. Guess I'll have to fire him up too. I live in a world I don't understand.

:hidingsmile:  I know what you mean, Jeepers.  :hidingsmile: I keep checking the mirror  :hidingsmile: to see if I'm invisible  :hidingsmile: 

Nothing seems to change tho.... 

You can try :soapbox:

You can try  [carefully and legally]  :baseballbat:

You can try the old :sad-smiley-012:

Even if you start out with  :bouquet:

It seems like we always end up with :motz_6: 

:sigh:   nothing seems to work  :banghead: 

We must be :hidingsmile:

MtRider  :hidingsmile:      {......who does love playing with our smilies}    :happy0203: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Made our trips today...and totally depleted our stash of cash...paying real estate and personal property taxes :-(  Sure thought we have been moved by now and this place sold, but the bathroom at the homestead just threw us a huge  curve and hubby's OCD kicked in so...the move has been stalled until he can get the remodel done "his" way.  People don't always understand, but he just cannot do anything less than what he feels is his best.  His mind "kicks out" and he shuts you out, until he can gather his thoughts again.  So...I leave it alone and wait.

Edited by The WE2's
spell check LOL
  • Like 1

I get it We2. We all have our little quirks.

I have a touch of OCD too. Mine is the matchy-matchy kind. I want everything to match up in sets and by colors and sizes etc. Then I set back and stare at it and analyze everything until it's to my liking. I suppose I figure if I stare at it long enough I can use my magic super duper kinetic energy powers to move things around until they are juuuuust right.  :angry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2