MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Home...  traffic wasn’t too bad. A lot of trucks on the road, Duck-n-Dodge games. Just a few areas in AZ by the NM border, showing where ice had been on the bridges. The southern mountains were all covered with snow. Gorgeous pictures but I didn’t stop. By then, I just wanted to get home. Except our distant mountains, the Superstitions were still covered. A picture that only happens about every 10+ years. 

My ToDo list is waiting for tomorrow. Unpacking, laundry, etc...

6BC31ACC-BD33-4A2C-85D1-9DE08A35AB73.jpeg

• Like 3

Pretty picture, Annarchy!

Went to Church this morning, then local grocery for gift card for a gentleman who's wife is in the hospital, so he will eat. Went to Kroger's and got grapes for $1.49 a pound (which I seem to live on) and a 12 pound ham for 77 cents a pound. Cost about $9 for the ham! Ran to hospital to see my elderly friend and give her husband the gift card. Then Dollar Tree for frozen fruit--green smoothies. Came home and got the ham in the oven, mess around here, change light bulb for DH and then give the gentleman from earlier a ride to Church this evening. Big Sunday here for me. Will rest a bit tomorrow, I hope!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday and today we both worked our tush's off at the homestead.  Hubby running wire to the junction boxes and me sorting in the pantry and getting some things moved from the "bucket" room (a small room off the pantry) upstairs...next will come the actual buckets.  Lots of trips up and down those steep stairs but the body is holding out! LOL  The tush muscles are a bit tender but...yeah...butt! LOL  We have power in the new bathroom!  Hubby did attach a nice wood shelving unit to one of the upstairs walls and I've put my dehydrated foods on it.  I'll need another unit when I start dehydrating this coming spring, summer and fall.  We're just going to buy in season from the Mennonite/Amish and spend our efforts on moving the berry bushes, re-doing all the raised beds and hopefully planting a couple of apple trees, a cherry tree, a few blueberry bushes and some grapes.  That should keep us plenty of busy but still give us some time to do some camping.

• Like 2
On 2/24/2019 at 7:57 AM, Homesteader said:

We had many #10 cans donated to us when we were still active missionaries. The acid in the tomatoes will eventually start eating the inside of the cans. I need to get them jarred up.

The nice thing about them is they're already cooked, but I do go ahead and add a little more citric acid just to make sure so it's really quite quick.  I don't add any additional juice (especially not water) I just fill them to one inch head space and process for 20 minutes, 10# here.

• Like 1

Oh my, ladies, you don't know the half of my "surgical adventure"!!  (I do have several bottles of surgical scrub soap now for preps though.)

At 0545 I arrived for surgery prep, I was due to go in at 7:00 the first one of the day for my doctor.  Our friend Brenda drove so Mary could feed the dogs etc then come in later.  Did my last "just before leaving" surgical lather-up, chin to toes, let sit 2 minutes, rinse off, then into the specified freshly washed clothing.  We drove into the hospital.  Got FIVE armbands...one with name & dob, one with name and bar codes, one that said "allergic to solarcaine" one that said :fall risk" (because I use a cane),  and a red one for the lab to scan, showing I had some test already completed.  On with the funky surgical outfit - backless gown, white pressure knee-highs, little yellow nonslip booties, and a cute little 4x4 pad for me because I have urge incontinence (I laughed when the aide told me I could hold it between my legs to stop "drips", and when I caught my breath explained that I wear diapers, dear, because I don't dribble, I deluge. Besides, my friend would hardly want it to take home with my other clothes.    After a little confusion on the aide's part the nurse said I could keep my "pull-ups" on and they would cut them off in surgery if needed.   In with the IV...it hurt a bit...and hooked up to saline.  Got some Tylenol and some steroid meds, and my prophylactic antibiotics.    Oh yes, a "special" bright yellow lap blanket to alert the staff I was a fall risk and they had better not let me try to get up alone because I might try to sneak out of bed or something.

OK, off to surgery suite staging area on that little, hard, narrow gurney, elbows inside the rails just incase I got a kamikaze driver.  No biggie.

Its now 0600 and I got my "party hat".  The anesthetist came in and asked me questions and talked to me.  The "neurological monitor" came in with the tiny electrodes and told me he would put them in after I was asleep and he would be monitoring my neuro system because of them messing with my spine.  OK, cool.  Laid there a bit.

At 0730 my surgeon came by and told me the hospital had not got authorization for the surgery from the insurance company yet, so we would have to wait for their office to open.  He said the insurance people had assured him the authorization would be available when they opened.  (I overheard him say that he had requested the authorization 21 days earlier, so he did not understand why it was taking so long to the nurse.)

Now the twilight zone theme song was beginning to softly play in the back of my head.  OK, twiddled my thumbs.  Had the nurse walk me to the rest room & back.  Twiddled some more.  Tried to doze- had better luck after the nurse raised my head a bit and bent the knee support on the gurney (almost as good as a recliner, if a bit narrow).  No TV, no glasses anyway, so twiddled my thumbs AND toes.  

At 0930 the doctor came by again, very apologetic, but also very furious (the cold, icy fury).  He apologized all over the place to me and said the insurance authorization STILL had not come in, and he was not going to have me worrying about a whopping hospital bill on the rare chance authorization was not given, or having me sit all day without eating or drinking, waiting for an authorization that might come around 4 pm

if at all.  Bummer, but I could not help chuckling over the weirdness.  Back to the original dressing area to take out all the needles and such.  I did wear the white stockings & footies home, rather than have them throw them away.  Mary arrived, with my robe, watch and ring.  She was also furious, but the red-headed, fiery german kind.  We got her and me out of there and went and had breakfast, then went home for a nap.  Ironically, around 5:00 Mary called the doctors office and the nurse told her the authorization for surgery had arrived....at 4:40 PM.

I just sat and laughed at the amazing, comical, farce I had just witnessed. Everybody was apologizing all over the place and finger pointing all over the place - it was kind of funny, in an ironic way.   We did get another 3 bottles of surgical scrub so I could do it all over again next week, and yes, we cut off those darn wristbands, all 5 of them, but are saving the "red one" because the lab people said it was proof I had my blood testing done already and if I forgot it surgery could be delayed up to 4 hours. (God forbid!  LOL)

• Sad 3

Well my day was pretty weird but Kappy has mine beat by a mile.  :hug3:  What a mess you had....and SOOOO UNECESSARY!  :tapfoot: 

OK....DH went to work and I went out to carefully place scoops from a large bucket of ashes from our pellet stove.  Need it on the driveway hill and where the ice is forming thick.  Then went on to pour water downhill thru all those hoses to fill horse tank.  I'd lifted hoses out of drifts 2 days ago so they're on top and sun-warmed.  The real job was afterwards....draining the hose down in barnyard....floundering thru deep snow and slick places.  On my hands and knees at one place but all low parts must be drained well or ....lotta trouble next time. 

Then I took shower cuz I was WAY overheated....beet red in face, etc.  :knary:  Noticed the laundry was full so sorted it and came up with white load.

....... :Blushing:   now you know I ALWAYS carry one of the cordless handsets for our house phone with me when I leave the house.  Even if it's down the exterior stairs and into basement/garage.  But since I was still overheated, I was wearing SHORTS  [in Feb]  and had no pockets.  So of course I placed the phone carefully in the laundry basket.  I chanted to myself all the way across the porch:  Don't forget the phone; don't forget the phone; don't .....   :huh:   somewhere I stopped the chant.  I started the water in washer.....put in soap.....tipped the laundry basket upside-down and got the clothes in there.....shut the lid and went upstairs...   :runcirclsmiley2:   ...and RAN DOWNSTAIRS to shut off washer water ---- scooping out big arm loads of soaked clothes, dumping them into the laundry sink.....and finally, there at the bottom of the water....was my phone.  Glub.  Glub.   :gaah:  NOT AGAIN!!!!!   

Cuz out of 3 handsets that came with this phone.....this is the SECOND one I've drowned in the washing machine.  Same technique.  :sigh:   Well, we've had these phones a LONG time.  They've been bounced down the steps....a few times.  Dropped from a horse.  Slid out of a pocket and nearly lost in the snow.  Left in the rain ....facing down so didn't drown that time.  They've actually held up well.  Death by washing machine....they don't survive.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Only one handset left and the battery doesn't hold long now.  With my long-winded conversations, I think we'll have to replace the phone.  I'm going to keep the base tho....cuz it has voice messages from nearly all my loved ones - cuz I don't erase for that reason.  :wub: 

OH...but my day isn't over yet.  :blink:  Went down to feed and it went fine....but discovered I'd failed to restart the washing machine after fetching out the phone.  So...started it then.  Good timing to be in barnyard cuz the UPS delivery we were expecting came while I was down there....so he didn't need to chance the slick driveway. 

Later I started to go back outside/downstairs to basement again for cans of tomatoes for spaghetti.  Had phone in my hand - talking to my nephew this time.  But....uh, oh.  Why is the barnyard light and the duckhouse light not working?  Cuz that's also the circuit for keeping the horse water from freezing solid.  So grabbed dog and got in truck to investigate.  Pushed the little red thing on the outlet...but the yard light is not plugged in.  So it's the circuit breaker.  Back up to house...up the stairs.... and out back door.  Yeppers, #2 is sprung.  Flipped it back in position....went inside/thru house/out on porch and .....  :happy0203:  ....I have barnyard lights [and water tank heater] again.  :amen:  Went inside and took off boots AND put boots back on....cuz I STILL needed the tomato cans.   :shakinghead:

Spaghetti sauce came out quite good tonite.  Had garlic, onions, green peppers, sausage, etc.  DH loves it and was pleased after his long, busy nite at work.  I eventually DID get the laundry washed/dried/upstairs.  So.....other than a drowned phone, it was a productive day. 

MtRider  :offtobed:   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Kappy and Mt. Rider, you both had crazy days!  I hope your next surgery day goes better, Kappy and I hope Mt. Rider can purchase a waterproof phone!

All I have done today is take Aninja to doc for her rabies shot.  Was told teeth will need to be cleaned, but ok for now--just the back ones have any build up of tarter.  Peanut goes next week for shot.  Will be making turkey bacon wrapped chicken breasts, maybe stuffed with something, not sure what yet.  Also updating password list and already took eBay photos for DH.  Yesterday was laundry day, so done there!

• Like 2

Mt. Rider, when I go out to mow I put the garage door opener in...uh...my...uh...cleavage area. Our garage doors have been known to go up or down on their own here. It's rare but it has happened to me twice. Plus I have an extra door key on the mower key ring. If I carried a phone I'd stick it there too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

Was told teeth will need to be cleaned

They want to do Abby-girl's too...to the tune of $600.  Said because of her age they'd need to do a complete blood profile and a whole host of other "tests".  Can't afford that!  So, we'll keep brushing them, even though she doesn't like it one bit.

• Sad 3

Got up early to go get our tax thing done.  Last night hubby took a "chill" and couldn't get warm for nothing.  When he did come to bed he was cold then hot, cold then hot, so he got up and went to my reclining chair (his no longer reclines since he had to rebuild it) and covered himself up while I fetched a jar of the Elderberry syrup and gave him a couple of fever reducer pills (can't remember how to spell the silly things!).  Then this morning his fever had broke but I dosed him with more Elderberry, 2000mg of Vit. C and then after we came back from taxes, he got some more Elderberry and a couple of Ibuprofen.  He seems to be feeling okay now, so I guess we got on it in good time. 

Needless to say we stayed inside once we got home.  No need to be out in this cold air any more than necessary since he was not up to par.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I think saying they want a whole panel of blood tests is standard (and pretty much a scam to get an extra hundred dollars).  I just refuse that part.  To put them under and clean teeth costs about a hundred and if they have to pull any, it's extra.  I always ask for antibiotics (clindamyacin) - spelled wrong.  They give a weeks worth and want you to start it the day before and continue after til used.  I start about 3 days before to improve gums and lessen the likelyhood that they will have to pull any.  Can't imagine paying $600.  Yikes!

Edited by snapshotmiki
5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I put the garage door opener in...uh...my...uh.

Uh huh!  Well around home I don't wear anything that would ...uh...catch the phone.  ;)  Usually I'm wearing workout pants with plenty of pockets.  But I'd come in overheated from my activities and I was wearing a tank, sweatshirt, and a pair of jersey shorts with drawstring.  No place to tuck anything EXCEPT....  Hmm, it's really annoying but I sometimes tuck the dumb thing down the long sleeve of a sweatshirt.  If the cuff is tight enough.  It's just so easy to drop it in the basket.... :grinning-smiley-044:   

Wow, WE2.  Aren't you glad you have the home stuff to ward off whatever is trying to make either of you sick?  It's really the best approach - to jump on it hard and quick!  :thumbs:    Gotta get me some elderberry stuff....but we haven't been ANYwhere in over a month!

Miki....didn't know about a blood draw for teeth!  :wacko:    We give Koa an 'alligator'  each evening.  It's one of the shapes that teeth-cleaning chews come in...big enough for her.   Vet services are more expensive than doctors.  But I do know that they have so many regulations now....all of which cost them money too.  We're just regulating and pricing ourselves out of our whole society.  <_<

I did 2nd load of clothes.  Shoved ice/snow off a couple places.  Went to do PM chores and made sure I scraped and boot-scooted as much slush out of pathways as I could.  All will freeze tonite but it won't freeze smooth and slick.  Have one puddle by the back gate that keeps forming from a whole hillside of melting snow.  So I shovel some snow onto the water.....it soaks up the water and I scrape water-soaked snow away from that area with the shovel.  Only way I can figure how to get rid of it before it freezes each nite. 

Goat scared me half to death.  She's found a way to sneak into the hay shed.  So when I opened the shed and saw a black moving thing....  :blink:  Recognized her in the next second but....  aaaack!  I am actually on guard when I open that shed but other than bees, birds, and rabbits....nothing scary has ever been in there.

Pray for my GrSon....he has to have surgery tomorrow on two broken bones in his hand.  My friend had surgery today to replace hip tho she's not that old.  Think she's going home tomorrow....her son had orders to call me after surgery - and did! 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Today was a slow day, we are still getting over yesterdays "cluster-F@ck". 

Went out and measured the area for the new raised bed in the garden area (we'll have 3 beds total) and scoped out the future composting area (right next to the garden to make things easier).  Then a stroll over to the other side of the yard to the carport, visiting our brand new chipper/shredder (still too rainy to drag it down to where we will be using it).  We are still debating whether to take it down to where we are logging, then drive the chips/shreds to where we will use them?  Or drag the branches & debris over to a location where we pre-positioned the chipper/shredder next to the use area?  Not to mention, "What will we name this contraption (all our mechanical items have names that are NOT cuss words)?"

Last stop was next to the designated camper-parking area - the planned herb garden.  I figure since the heal-all came up there wild last year, it should be a reasonable place to insert other herbs.  At least the sun-loving ones.  The area is not huge, but that's OK - less to weed/till that way.  Still debating whether or not to make it a raised bed since we did not dig down today to find out what was under the grass.  Most places it is red clay, which would limit plant options severely, so a raised bed would be nearly a must.  However, the herb garden is a bit down the list of things to do, so once we get the composting operation up and running, soil amendment prior to planting (probably by sheet composting) would be a viable option.

I'm glad we got out to do these things today, so the day was not a total waste.  The rest of the day was a blur because I experienced my first migraine headache (oooow).  Hope it is related to my spinal issues instead of a new wrinkle.  I keep telling M to NEVER ask "What next?" in exasperation, because surely something else will happen (LOL) and my laundry list of medical issues already makes the nurses roll their eyes when they brief each other on things they need to watch out for.  I no longer poke fun at old ladies who carry a separate suitcase for their meds when traveling...because I have become that person :shakinghead:  

• Like 3

New Chipper:

Chip

Chomper

Woodrow (Woody)

Old Splinters

Bucky (as in Beaver)

Justin  (as in Beiber)

Hack-em-all  (Native name)

Bruxism (Bruxie.  Means teeth grinding)

Big Mouth?

A girl:

Flossie (will probably need to floss those teeth)

Miss Bump and Grind  (sorry)

Fargo (the movie)  gruesome

Jean  (Mean Jean the chompin' machine)

Big Red (she probably will be from that red Georgia clay.

Obviously I need to go to bed, :offtobed:

• Haha 2

While I was off yesterday to handle land stuff, got an email that the chairman wants something analyzed "by tomorrow."  I started around 11:30, took only a couple of forty-odd minute breaks and a couple of ten-minute breaks to pay the various crews of workmen, and emailed it in just before eleven last night.  No, I am not making quota this month.  

• Sad 3

Jeepers! I love you!  Bucky is the perfect name (obviously you remember our Wisconsin roots)!  She will look chic with a Bucky decal!  (All I could come up with was "chopper-bird' from the old joke....)

• Like 3

Jeepers! I love you!  Bucky is the perfect name (obviously you remember our Wisconsin roots)!  She will look chic with a Bucky decal!  (All I could come up with was "chopper-bird' from the old joke....)

Stayed inside today.  Hubby is still a bit "puny" but not sick so we don't want to encourage a lapse.  Still taking the Elderberry Syrup (me too just to be prepared) but taking 2 aspirin and 1 allergy tablet.  This seems to be a good combination once we're over the hump of something.  For those looking for Elderberries, have you tried online / dried elderberries?  Also there's a product (can't remember the name) that's Elderberry ... but very costly.  That's why I make my own from the dried elderberries that I buy from the Mennonite store.

Glad we were able to get all the water barrels etc. carried down to the homestead's root cellar/basement before hubby started feeling puny.  Put them up on two heavy duty plastic pallets.  We'll get them filled soon.  Today I "pittled" around but did get a load of laundry done.  Dat-dat-dat-dat that's all folks! :cele:

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 3

My groggy Grson called late [our time] tonite.  All went well with his surgery.  Hurts more than surgery to fix his elbow....told him:  hands have more nerves.  He fell asleep as DD2 was talking to us.  Has pins inside and a splint to protect the hand.  Heard they had a very good specialized hand surgeon.  :amen:

MtRider  ...thanks for prayers.  Don't know yet if my friend went home today from hip surgery.  :pray:

• Sad 1

Oh Dear. I'm so sorry I missed the post about your D-grson Mt. Rider. Sigh. That happens to me sometimes when I switch between Kindle and laptop. Dang it. I'm sorry. 

I'm glad you got to talk to him and that all went well. Sheesh, first the elbow and now the hand? He must keep mom and dad hopping. Sounds like grandma and grandpa will certainly be an asset when you are closer! 

• Thanks 1