MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

11 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

The day is probably coming. She 88 and living alone. She hates our small town, loves her big city, friends, clubs & local convenience. Hospitals, doctors, stores, etc. are all within a 5 mile radius. Here, you’d need to drive 30-50 miles, just to get to the hospitals, doctors or any decent stores. 

We have much of the same scenario. My mom in 92 and doesn't want to move. We had her scheduled to move into an apartment retirement center (next week  :blink:). The services come to her. We thought it was a great idea. Mom would tolerate it. Most of the boxes are packed when the call came from the retirement center that they had made a LARGE financial mistake. :imoksmiley:With those changes, we would have to unpack everything and downsize her to a one-bedroom. I think she likes the glitch.  :24:  I'm too tired from all my illnesses this past year to really care. The medical world wants her to move. Her family, who takes good care of her, understands her failing condition. 

I'm not unpacking her!   :whistling:  I've got an emergency doctor appt in the morning and need to deal with my own crises. :0327:  This too shall pass.  :thumbs:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Got home from neck surgery on Tues AM and have been recovering at home.  Lots of pain meds.  Mary is being over-worked but has been patient.  It certainly beats that hospital I was at - the nursing care was astonishingly bad.  I would have felt safer at the vet - I stayed awake all night when I was told that I could either have my CPAP and sleep, or have post op pain meds, but not both.  And that was AFTER I called the head nurse to complain.  Needless to say they won't be sending me a survey asking if I enjoyed my stay, LOL.  

• Sad 7

We played hooky...weather was nice so we packed a picnic lunch and headed for our favorite State Park.  walked "the loop" once and then back to the truck, ate lunch then walked "the loop" once more then back home for the evening.  Total walking was probably about 1 mile or better.  Felt good to just feel the fresh air and hear the sounds.  Abby-girl loves being off leash...which she isn't supposed to be...but there's not a soul in that area of the park because it's closed until April 1st.  She just had her evening "snickers" and she's curled up in her bed.

:o  Kappy....been praying for you this past week.  Soooo sorry to hear of your bad experience.  The CPap OR meds doesn't really make sense.....does it?  How does your doc say the actual surgery went?  Sure hope that turns out to be everything you're hoping for!!!  :pray:  

WE2....yeah, I can almost smell the springtime in your post.  We're oddly spring-ish here......for about 19 more hours.  Then :frozen:  :santa:    Well, since the ground is warm, almost all that heavy Dec/Jan snow has melted.  So it's gonna be soggy/slushy snow off and on for the next several days. 

I'm reading that CO had a lalapalooza of an avalanche today.  Vertical drop of over 3,000' and about a mile wide.  Unfortunately it took out thousands of trees and will leave a denuded whole mountainside open to massive water erosion.  :(   An unoccupied house at the bottom had barriers and still stands but chimney gone and windows blown out.  No one was in that area.  After-the-fact pics are mouth-dropping.  We may have some rain torrents come down our ridge but not avalanche....whew!

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

Wow, Mt_R, glad that avalanche wasn’t near you.

SnapshotMiki, when are you going to FL?  I know you mentioned it, but,   I forgot.

WE2, your loop in the forest sounds so peaceful.

Glad your surgery is done, Kappydell, now don’t do too much when you start to feel better. I know so many who have done that, & ended up worse. 

Furbabymom, hoping your little one is feeling better. 

Thank you, Homesteader, for your words of encouragement. I hope they get things settled for your Mom. I wish, “the services”, would go to MIL’s home. That would be a blessing beyond my wildest hopes & dreams. 

Yesterday, was a day of rest. Only did that which was necessary. Today, however, my list is growing. I’m going to try to get a head start preparing for my trip next week. I need to return several ice chest, her sprinkler system which we cleaned up, make her bean soup and get it frozen... included getting some supplies from the store, etc.

With the forecast of rain, I’m foregoing working on the garden until I return. We’ll see, I have the bug.... :lois:  and my trip is many many days away, lol. The thyme has sprouted in the herb garden, the transplanted volunteer onions are doing very well and I look daily, a couple of times, to see if the peanuts or fava beans are sprouting.   :rolleyes: .....and it’s beginning to lighten up outside.... gotta go check again....:happy0203:

:bouquet:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Annarchy said:

SnapshotMiki, when are you going to FL?  I know you mentioned it, but,   I forgot.

Will go to Louisiana tomorrow and then sister in law will get me to airport in New Orleans on Wednesday morning.

Yesterday, Church first, then washed sheets, did up my vities for the month into their containers, more laundry, gave DH manicure and pedicure, called a few friends I will visit. No Church last night. Ate the last of my jambalaya with riced cauli for dinner. 

Today! More laundry, call in refills for DH, pack suitcase, go to Post office about an eBay issue, pick up meds at drug store and a couple of things at Dollar General. Our friend, who will stay with DH while I am gone, will be arriving this morning and un packing either into our shed or a storage unit, don't know which yet.

• Like 3

Yeah, Miki....what Jeepers said!   :hi: 

Doing today?  Not much.  But bored DH made bread.  :yum3:  If he does that, we can afford a trash pick-up service that we just signed up for.  WAAAY cheaper than bringing bags in ourselves.  Whew....that was a worry we'd been trying to solve.  :amen:  

Annarchy, they're calling our weather this week "unsettled" ....how's that for ambiguous?  Today was cloudy, then sunny.  Their forecast was the reverse of that.  Who knows how it will go. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Thanks 1

We're still just hanging out here until our bodies adjust to the time change.  Hubby usually heads off to the homestead to work on the bathroom project and I get chores etc., done around here.  I have to really race ahead on chores if I plan to play or work at the homestead so sometimes I just don't.  Today was laundry day. 

Doc called and said my thyroid was low, so he's changing the strength of the prescription.  Ladies...does that mean this is a less strong script?  I'm thinking yes.  Should have ask I guess.

I don't know We2. I'd think if your thyroid is too low, even with the meds, then you'd need a stronger script. Best to ask your doc or even the pharmacist. Or check your bottles. That should tell you too. 

I'm going to Indy later in the week or weekend. Depends on what I can get loaded in the Jeep. My brain says 'go' but my back says 'no'. I want to spend a couple of days at the house just cleaning. I plan to get all of the cabinets and closets cleaned out and put down shelf liner.

I'd like to go ahead and paint the closets while they are empty. At least the two hall closets. I also need to install door stops behind the doors and repair the holes in the wall the door knobs created. Sheesh, who takes the door stops with them when they move!? That was a surprise I didn't need. I'm sure there will be plenty more surprises when I get to looking around closer. I need to keep reminding myself that I bought the place for the acre and not the house.  :rolleyes:  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I need to keep reminding myself that I bought the place for the acre and not the house.  :rolleyes:  

:laughkick: That's what we keep reminding ourselves, Jeepers as we keep tearing into the house. Sitting outside with a bonfire seems like so much more fun, especially if its not fueled with 2x4's and wood siding.  :grinning-smiley-044:

How about making yourself a doable list for getting projects completed at your new place this coming weekend? As a treat, swing into a Culvers and have a custard cup at the end of your weekend. Rewards are fun working toward.  :hug3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am doing the list thing. That's only way I can keep track of anything.

I also had a list going of everything I wanted to have at the house right now. Extra meds, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, radio, towels, wash cloths, snacks, simple tools etc. I had about 50 things on the list and got everything taken over the last time except for a flash light. It will go this time.

I've been packing up glasses and dishes today. Might as well fill up the cabinets that will be clean. A couple of things I think I'll wait to buy after I get over there. I'll need a medium size step ladder and a gallon of paint. And some TSP to de-grease the cabinets. Maybe some Murphy's Oil Soap? The cabinets are wood and not painted. A lot of cabinet space for a small kitchen.

I'd like to try to install one of those slide out things for under the kitchen sink that holds a trash can. Plenty of room under the sink since there is no garbage disposal. I may or may not get a disposal. I've heard they aren't good for septic tanks?

I had to look up Culver's. There is one over there by me! Who knew.

I thought you was talking about the Culver Military Academy over there.

• Like 2

Finished packing up this morning and giving last minute instructions about dogs and DH to fellow helping. Now just messing around and waiting for ride to Louisiana and then on plane tomorrow morning! Already checked in and have boarding pass printed. First time flying since 2006. Will see how it goes. I have our website on my tablet so hope to check in now and then.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Doc called and said my thyroid was low, so he's changing the strength of the prescription.  Ladies...does that mean this is a less strong script?  I'm thinking yes.  Should have ask I guess.

I don't really know - thyroid meds confuse me. :huh: 

But...................my endocrinologist has steadily been decreasing the strength of my dosage of Levothyroxine from 125 MCG to 112 MCG to 100 MCG. Yesterday she said my levels were in the "normal" range but she thought still a little high for my age so she made another adjustment down to 75 MCG.

• Thanks 1
On 3/10/2019 at 6:31 PM, kappydell said:

I stayed awake all night when I was told that I could either have my CPAP and sleep, or have post op pain meds, but not both. 

That makes no sense whatsoever!

Pain meds can SUPPRESS your breathing so I would think that having a steady flow of air keeping your airway OPEN would be an advantage, not a problem. :o :shrug: :mad:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

thyroid meds confuse me

Talked with his nurse and even she was a bit confused, so looked it up.  I guess when your readings are low, it means the current dosage is "suppressing" the thyroid function and has to be cut back.  I went from 150 down to 100 now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today was "his" day at the docs for his six month checkup.  Doc wrote him all new scripts so he could "shop around".  WM pharmacy has begun to raise their prices on some things sky high and are rejecting some of the previously honored discount cards.  I filled my thyroid and that was it.  Took my "Estrace" generic to CVS and they gave me a store coupon...92$ compared to WM's 277$...:(  Going to start a new thread..."GRIPE-GRIPE-GRIPE" ... stay tuned!

• Sad 1
13 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

That makes no sense whatsoever!

Pain meds can SUPPRESS your breathing so I would think that having a steady flow of air keeping your airway OPEN would be an advantage, not a problem. :o :shrug: :mad:

You are absolutely right, it makes no sense at all, but then again, nothing made sense by that time.  I don't think they even knew how a CPAP works ( its respiratory therapy turf, not nursing).  These are the folks that never brought me water or ice, came in to ask if I had peed yet (I had a catheter), and called resp therapy when I asked for someone to come in to plug in the cpap (I was strapped to the bed as a fall risk.

That was when I started losing it....I asked why they needed resp therapy to plug an electric device into the wall?  "oh...you have your own CPAP?"  obviously never read the patient charts, either.  They would answer the call button "someone will be in"...and nobody would come.

So as it turned out the oxygen cannula connected to the morphine pump is bigger than usual & has a sensor to see if I stop

breathing.  If I do the pump sounds an alarm and shuts off the morphine. (that alarm went off several times...nobody came....). There is no adaptor to fit to the CPAP and the face mask was too small to get a good seal with the cannula inside.  So we got a crappy seal and strapped the mask so tight it pressed on my incisions (OW).  Since the seal was bad I quit breathing, since the cannula was crushed in there it shut off the morphine.  And the alarm went off several times - I looked up to read "No exhalations detected" on the machine.  Unfortunately NOBODY CAME until the thing sounded for over an hour.  I stayed awake, afraid to try sleeping and in too much pain to sleep anyway.  All the head nurse at night said is "sorry, best we can do" (I was livid by that time, and I am not known for having a temper.)  Apparently nobody has any backup plans there. 

Most alarming of all, when I filed my complaints in the morning with the administrative nurse supervisor, she apologized for taking so long to see me because they had an "unanticipated death" on my floor during the night and the family was furious (Ya think???)  Cant prove it but I think they ignored that guy to death, judging from the ridiculously slow response to an alarm showing I was not breathing (!!!) Could not get out of there fast enough - glad they discharged me 'cause I was going AMA otherwise.  Crazytown in there.  

So ladies, don't be scared to go to the hospital, but have a backup plan, preferably someone to stay with you and raise cain if needed.  Keep your cell phone handy, put administrator numbers on speed dial for fun...remember to squeak that wheel!  And take notes - so if you complain to the boss they cant claim you were too drugged to know what wonderful care you really had (ha).

Edited by kappydell
  • Sad 3

WOW Kappy...what an ordeal!

What did we do today?  Spent some dollars on meat for the meat freezer and split them into small 2-people portions and vacuum sealed them, and picked up some more celery and carrots and onions.  Pulled out another large bag of mixed veggies from the meat freezer and vacuum sealed them into smaller portions.  Also picked up some tasty rice cake snacks. Also bought some cheap meat for our Abby-girl's raw diet and cut it into really small chunks and mixed it with her veggies and rice.. I keep a bag of cooked rice in the frig just for her, to mix with her other stuff.  She's loving it!  Still gets her kibbles in the morning and a small amount as her "snickers" before bed time though.  Rained off and on most of the day but the temp was at 60.  Loved it regardless of the rain! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The WE2's said:

What did we do today?  Spent some dollars on meat for the meat freezer and split them into small 2-people portions and vacuum sealed them, 

Yep, us too.....many years (decades) ago when I lost some serious weight one of my "big" secrets was to freeze everything I could in single size portions - 1 chicken leg, 4 oz of hamburger, etc.  I couldn't nosh on it if it was frozen!!  That is when I got my first serious (15 cu ft) freezer (used) so I just kept doing it in 2-person sizes over the years.  That and shop the meat sales as they rotated thru beef-pork-chicken so I never had to pay full price again.....ever!  I can now easily cut up a meat quarter with aplomb and speed.  Mary & I make quick work of butchering deer (2 hours from hanging to salting the hide), and I fillet fish right off the bone leaving the inside parts inside (much neater that way).  Food processing skills sure are handy.;

Today Mary worked on washing & waxing the boat prior to putting it in for the season, and I stayed home (sure cant clamber about a trailered boat right now) did laundry and baby sat the dogs (one is in heat now, so they take close watching to keep everyone separated).  I can hardly wait to get the boys fixed! 

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1

I can't wait to get a freezer going again. I'm going to turn a spare bedroom into a pantry so I suppose I'll put a freezer in there. I wanted to put it in the garage but after Youtubing about it, it looks like it could be complicated with temperature fluctuations. 

The kitchen doesn't have a pantry at all. There are a lot of cabinets but on the bottom ones the top shelf is only a half shelf. I've never seen cabinets like that. I'm thinking I'll be losing some valuable shelf space. Shelf replacing might be on my to-do list next year.

Kappy, you might be having puppies in your future. Male dogs will go through hell and high water to get at a female in heat. They can smell her a mile away...literally. Don't let your guard down.

I cleared out one double cabinet in the kitchen today and got some dishes and glassware packed up. Also some glass bake ware. I used small boxes that I had saved from Amazon but they are still really heavy. I've got six boxes ready to load in the Jeep tomorrow. Hopefully I can get another 2-3 packed up tomorrow. I'm going to Indy Friday.

• Like 1

DH had an auction to go to yesterday. I took advantage of the quiet time. Pinned the vining house plant back up on the ceiling. It’s starting to grow again and had outweighed the pins in a few places, especially where we’ve been re winding the new growth. Should be good for another couple of years, now. 

Cleaned out the upright freezer. A much needed job, I’ve been procrastinating. Embarrassed to mention, I found a couple things buried on the bottom, dated 2014. Definitely did not look good. Then, I managed to re-organize everything under the bathroom sink. The 1st aid pack needed refreshing. One of the rolls of tape had lost its stickiness. A few of the small hotel shampoo bottles were separated & half dehydrated. Then again, that’s a test for how long those things can survive & still be usable, they were over 15 years old. :blink:  I used the Breck one last night and this morning my hair is all poofy, my straight hair looks like it had a soft perm.  :o

Waited for an important phone call, still waiting...  Gave up and left my phone with DH and ran errands. By the time I got back, DH had received the shipment that was due in. He got himself a pedal kayak. I doubt I will want one. My lower body strength is gone. I sold my little ‘65 6V VW because working the clutch became very painful. I miss it.  Anyway, he piddled with it off & on, while I chopped up the leftover veggies for another stir fry dinner. Note to self:  DO NOT put hot (spicy) chili oil in a hot sizzling wok.

Gassed us out of the house chocking. We opened the windows & doors, and sat outside for a while. Which... another note to self:  watch the open door!  

DH went into the kitchen to get a glass of water and hollered for me to help. I jumped up, came into the kitchen, expecting to see a bee or bug, instead a hummingbird was trying to get back outside through the screen on the window. I went outside and removed the screen, it zipped away and we shut the door. 

Speaking of hummingbirds, I saw several different types yesterday. Full red headed greens, top red greens, red throat greens, red throat ring necked, blue throat ring necked, purple throat ring neck, gold throat ring necked, neon blue broadbilled, and, of course the females, more ashen in color, just to name a few. They are migrating and are everywhere. They have managed to empty the 2 feeders in 3 days, while, normally, it takes them a week. 

Getting ready to get back to it. Clear skies, so far, today. Slightly frosty this morning, hopefully my tomatoe plants are fine. 

Wow Annarchy you had an exciting day! I'd like to attract humming bird to the yard. They are so pretty. I think g'son would enjoy them too. I used to have them here many many years ago. 

I'm getting ready to take three bags to a dumpster and two bags to the Salvation Army. Dairy Queen is right on the way so I think  I'll get a couple of chili dogs. I haven't had those in long time. Too bad they stopped selling the deep fried mushrooms. They gave you a container of ranch dipping sauce. I'd dip and take a bite then suck out the mushroom and throw away the rest of the breading. I thought I was eating healthy. Good old days. 

Then swing by Wal-Mart for a couple of things, gas up the Jeep and head home to pack a couple more boxes and get the Jeep loaded up for tomorrow. 

I have a check list of 'need to take items' I'll go through too. Think I'll drop in the library for a couple of books on CD too. Those help the hours pass by. 

I'd better get going instead of just talking about it!

• Like 1