MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Finally finished turning the last garden plot, hoping to plant corn tomorrow. Vacuum sealed a loaf of sourdough bread in 2 pieces each package, for Mom. Got her bean soup bagged, 6 bags frozen. Might do more lasagna for her. 

Got her new sprinklers in, so, hopefully, they will cover the areas better, and I won’t need to take them down when it freezes there, freeze tolerable. 

She asked if the house plants I’d trimmed were rooting, to replace one she has, that had died, ...yup. 

A friend, sent me 4 plants of Mexican oregano, planted and the stems that were damaged, dried and put into a new “homegrown” jar. 

It has been windy here, had to blow the pine tree droppings off the garden. Carrots, tomatillos, & mung beans are sprouting. Didn’t know if they didn’t like the pine stuff. 

So so much to do, so little time....

• Like 3

Homesteader.....was this recent return to WINTER affecting your area of WI?  :frozen:  It wasn't much up here but got wild and wooly as it moved east....

Other than cleaning off the car, we didn't have to do any snow removal tho we got several inches.  Wait a day and it's nicely melted into the ground. 

Not doing much today.....  :reading: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

Homesteader.....was this recent return to WINTER affecting your area of WI?  :frozen:  It wasn't much up here but got wild and wooly as it moved east....

I was digging a patch in the garden in the morning for a bag of onion sets to plant. By afternoon the snow started. By evening the hail, sleet and thunderstorms were SLOWLY moving through. It was interesting watching the snowstorm and then seeing a flash of lightning in the background.  :imoksmiley:  We got about 3" of snow and a bunch of ice. We're SOOOOO thankful the power stayed on the whole time. We could see the power lines gain in circumstance as the hours wore on. The winds were also over 30 mph which makes for broken trees and cold houses. Thankfully, we have a wood stove and backup power.  :whistling:   Thank you Lord. 

• Like 5

Hit the salvage grocery store today for pumpkin to add to the pups food. What I got had a "best by" date of 3 months ago. 60- 13.5 ounce cans and 9- 28 ounce cans--all for $10! They wanted me to take the whole cart for $10 but what was left was pumpkin pie filling and can't do the sugar for me or the dogs. Picked up a few other items and came home.
DH got a call for a consult for a local neurologist for his hand tremors. We have been hoping for that for months as the VA hospital is about 100 miles one way and with our older cars and the horrible traffic, we just said we couldn't do it.

Our friend came over and tilled up a garden area for me so I can have one this year! I will be working on it tomorrow and planting next Thursday (according to the almanac). 

Also made cornbread for our room mate who is still not home, so he will have that tomorrow.

Overall a very good day!

• Like 4

Made a run to Aldis to pick up some specialty bread for our friends return home party.  I'm to bring some of my home made jams too.  So I picked up some of my raspberries, some pears and some strawberries that I preserved a couple of years ago, and turned them into jams.  One pint of Raspberry, one pint of Pear/Raisin Concerve (? spell) and one half pint of Strawberry.  Had just a bit left over of the pear and raspberry so we had some on some toasted buttered bread.  I had the pear and he chose the raspberry.  Oh my...

101_1048 Raspberry jam-pear & raisin concerve-strawberry jam.jpg

• Like 2

Wonderful news about your DH getting a local doctor appointment Snapshotmiki.  :pray:

Oh yum We2. I'll bet apple and raisin would be good too. That's what I thought it was at first glance.

We got lots of rain today so I stayed home again. Stomach has seemed to settle down now and so has my back. I'm babying them both though. A quick trip to the store this weekend for some bread, milk, eggs and bananas will last me another fortnight. Fortnight. Guess who has been watching British shows again.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It rained last night.  Our moat (the drainage ditch in front of our house) looks like we could go kayaking in it. 

Hopefully the rain will scrub more pollen out of the air than the wind and the changing temps won't cause too many issues.

• Like 3

Not getting much done today....started out swell, slept well after taking the melatonin & lemon balm my doc recommended.  Went out and thinned the early veggies, saving the thinnings for a spicy fresh mini-greens salad (mustard, radish, collards, turnips) after washing well.  Went in to make pancakes and noticed my migraine aura was starting up.  WHO GAVE ME PERMISSION TO HAVE MIGRAINES?????  

Fortunately did not amount to much - just a foggy feeling & auras for a couple hours, a barely noticeable headache, then poof, gone.

The pancakes were good.  Started to keep a diary to try to figure out what is triggering this weirdness.  

The food garden is in, planting flowers now.  Peonies are going to bloom in the shallow pot we had them in while trying to figure out where to transplant them.  Pretty - the rose is blooming in its' pot, too.  We got some trumpet lily seeds last spring, planting them this year.  Should b e a show stopper - they grow 6 feet tall!  Now THATS a lily!

IMG_2818.JPG.81bcd2c0f0731dff53be5f57782393f8.JPG     This was a trumpet lily at our Wis place....

Happy today because one of our outside kitties returned after being missing about a week.  He is limping, but otherwise seems OK and much more content to stick around.  I was worried about him, he was AWOL thru some pretty nasty thunderstorms.  I suspect he will stick closer now so he can shelter in the carport with the other kitties and eat regularly.  Welcome back, Puppers!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, kappydell said:

Started to keep a diary to try to figure out what is triggering this weirdness.

I hate mysteries...in books, in relationships, and in OUR HEALTH ISSUES!  Hope you can Sherlock yours and get rid of that 'weirdness', Kappy. [and Jeepers too!]   I kept an extensive diary of facts when the MS became apparent.  Kept track of alll sorts of variables.  Learned a lot that I still use to maximize what I have and minimize the bad stuff.  :thumbs: 

Annarchy, do you find the sunflowers draw in a lot of squirrels and such that mess up other things?  I like them but stopped planting them [not up here -- in an "earlier" life]  The danged rodents began to get into our horse feed in greater numbers.  But they are so cheery and .....magnificent in their huge-ness.  Has anyone ever driven by a whole field of them?  The nod their heads toward to sun. 

:frozen:   Right now, it's snowing heavily........  :o   ....um, well now it's B)  and still snowing lightly.  :scratchhead:    One of those CO spring*winter*spring*winter days ... 

MtRider    :shrug:   

• Like 2

Mt_Rider, I haven’t noticed that. However, they seem to attract the tiny bugs, which doesn’t seem to be a problem.  It’s been keeping the bugs off anything around them. There is a smaller one, about 1 1/2 feet tall, that was covered in gnats like bugs, and the sparrows and starlings devoured all its leaves, leaving the stalk with a flower on top. 

Pulled a bit of Bermuda grass from the sprouting queens wreath.  Some of the new vines are already over a foot long. Then, cleaned house the rest of the day. We ended the day having tacos & watching Live PD. 

Note to self:  wear my glasses when pulling spices out of the rack... curry is NOT cumin.  :shakinghead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hubby worked a bit putting the Apoxy mix on the under cover of the van's a/c.  It will take til tomorrow to dry.  Then we made a short run to Aldi's to pick up the extra's for our camp trip next week.  Things that I don't have in the pantry(s)...chips, queso, bananas etc.  Then we took all the dry foods over to the TT.  While he checked the air in TT tires and truck tires, I watered my "garden babies" and put the dry goods away in the TT.  All my garden babies are peeping up very nicely.  I had moved them in under the covered front porch to keep them away from the freeze.  They're doing great.  Moved them back to their sunny spots before I left.  I'll give them a good watering before we leave.  Also spotted the pretty white blooms of the chickweed so gathered up a few of their roots and planted them in a pot.  That's the only place we've seen them anywhere on any of our properties.  Where were they?  Around my Egyptian walking onions!  If we were going to be home next week I would have gathered all I could get to put in our breakfast eggs.  May still gather some tomorrow (if they're still there) and put them in a zip lock baggie in the frig to take with me! LOL

• Like 1

Last night was a wonderful welcome home party for our friend that spent the last 3 months in Spain.  She put on a power point slide show that was so interesting!  I had to "insert" a picture of one our friends because she was taking the picture with us in it.  We took two, one without me (I took pic) and then one without her (she took pic) then I "fixed" it.  Not the best, but we're all there!  Our traveler is the one in the blue sweater/blonde hair.

101_1052 Welcome Home cropped with Karren G in.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like you had fun @The WE2's!  I love traveling!

Saturday, I cleaned bathrooms and dusted, then put down a little fertilizer in newly tilled garden. Saturday night, I watched huge wind and rainstorm wash most of fertilizer away. 

Sunday--garden drying out--glad I hadn't planted yet. Church in the morning, than Walmart for a couple of starts to plant that I hadn't found at local store, A little more stocking up shopping, home to hard boil some eggs, set up my vitamins for the next month and then picked up a friend for Church in the evening. Watched a little tv afterwards.

Today. have laundry going, about to make up some French onion soup mix (no msg), will cook chicken in instant pot and will work on raking up garden this afternoon when it warms up (and before it turns to cement). 

We are going to do a very low spend month starting to day, so we can pay off the one credit card. Don't like debt!

• Like 2

What a nice picture! Looks like a good time and good food. Nice memory maker too. 

Sorry your garden had a washout Miki. Glad you hadn't got it all planted though. I heard where there were some strong storms in the south this weekend. Hope they passed you by. Tis the season. It seems like every year the week of every Good Friday has a tornado someplace. Heads up girlfriend. 

• Like 2

Got TT loaded with clothes & food...ready to hitch up tomorrow afternoon.  On our way home from getting truck fueled up, hubby dropped me off and was headed to the garage to put the inside cover on the a/c on the van.  When I walked in the back door and in to the kitchen I hear the sound of water...oh no...water heater control valve is leaking!  Call hubby and say turn around quick, we gots a problemo...big time.  Turn off water heater.  It'll just have to wait until we get back home from our camp trip!  Cost of new heater?  Around 400$...oh oh...I see a credit card bill until I get my inheritance check in June.  Fiddlesticks!

I am a bad, bad person.  The loss of what was lost inside the Notre Dame is going to be staggering, and my brain is singing from the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

"Paris, the city of lovers, is glowing this evening.

True, that's because it's on fire, but still there's l'amour."

Made oatmeal this morning for DH and to add to the pups meals. Took some eBay photos and wrote a couple of drafts. Transplanted 3 knockout roses I got for free awhile back. Cooked a burger for DH. Washed the dog beds and watched some tv. A very relaxing day!

• Like 1

I finally got to town to get my hair trimmed.  It grew 6 inches in 6 months.......  :unsure:   Is that normal?  

Nearly threw up while on the gravel roads when we began.  SO VERY RUTTED AND HOLES...  DH had to pull over and let my nervous system settle.  I'm already sitting in seat behind driver so the SWAY is greatly reduced.  I've been so pleased at the improvement sitting there.  But today....I have ridden on tractors and wagons, etc thru farm fields with no roads....and THAT'S WHAT IT FELT LIKE!  :sassing:   Finally decided I'd try to go on...since we'd gotten to the paved road by then.  Those underground springs that well up at this time of year are to blame.  Springs spring up in the Spring...  :rolleyes:    Anyway, I wedged coats, blanket, etc on either side of me to I couldn't be swayed as much.  Braced foot and hung on to roof handle over the door.  ....cuz even paved highways are all kinds of swerving around the mountains.  Slowly my nervous system settled. 

Kinda good I had an hour wait to get hair cut.  (good news:  they had $8.99 sale...usual $15)  Gave me time to sit in car and putter around with my GoToTown bag.  Sorted that and just had a quiet, peaceful time.  Meanwhile, DH went next door to get groceries.  Then he waited a bit for me to be done and then we went to get sub sandwiches before going home. 

Once home,  6 things happened at once and my system blew out again.  Prayer Request message on phone for me to email out to everyone.  Ice cream melted and expanded so it's leaking all over everything in the bag.  Dog's EXCITED cuz she was BORED ...we're HOME!  :bounce:   Goat's wailing to be let out of her area so she can go steal horse hay.  [she free-ranges with dog to keep eye out...except when we're not home.]   :faint3:I just changed clothes and crawled into bed for a half hour before sending out a Prayer Request.   :offtobed:   BUT....I did accomplish my goal for today.  

Plus.....annoying....  :motz_6:  ....my 34 day old Kindle stopped working:gaah: 

MtRider  .....was it a good day or a bad day?  :shrug: 

• Like 1

I had a great day today. I went down to Amish country. I found a little table and chairs that I liked. The table and two chairs in my Amazon wish list was $80.00 with a 3 star rating. The one in Amish country was $120.00 but it's solid oak and all put together. I was able to get two chairs instead of four so that helped with the cost. I don't know why I was thinking about four chairs. Two will work out just fine. I was also thinking about a square table but when I saw the round one I knew it was THE one. I never thought about a round one. It's sturdy. Being round will save a little room too. They even shrink wrapped it. But wait there's more. For some reason they were having a no tax day. I don't know why but when I saw the sign on the window I was hoping they had something for me. Dumb luck. Plus they gave me a really nice heavy tape measure to celebrate their 30th. business anniversary.

I went to a quilt/fabric shop and got out of there without buying anything. Whew. Next stop was Lehman's. I almost bought another tube of canning jar lids but they are $89.00 now. It's probably worth it because there are a ton of them in the tube but I didn't want to pay that all at once. That would be great to go in halves with someone. Or even thirds. I still have a tube of them unopened and the thought crossed my mind that they could possibly go bad over time. The rubber part. Don't know. I paid $75.00 for them last year. I opted for a couple of wooden toys for you-know-who and a couple of sticker books.

I stopped off at Wal-Mart and picked up a couple of things I needed. Mostly cleaning supplies etc. I got a battery powered screw driver. I have a lot of kitchen hardware to change out plus an under the sink trash can caddy thing to install. I know my wrist isn't strong enough to do it all because I had to have son take one of the pulls off for me. Oh, and some blueberry peeps. And finally some bread.

I stopped at Barns and Nobles. Another Whew. I didn't buy anything there either. Then up the road to Michaels where I got some more tee shirts. They were 3/$10.00. They had some pretty colors. Then I topped it off with a To-Go from Olive Garden. They gave me a free coke while I waited. Today was just my lucky day.

So, all in all it was a very good day. I got what I needed but didn't talk myself into buying anything extra plus I got a good price (no tax!) on the furniture. Sounds like a lot of stores, and it was, but they were all in a straight line and none of them out of my way.

Then it happened. Of course. I stubbed my thumb into the side of my car door when I was getting out. It hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out or throw up. It pushed my nail up and back. My nails aren't long. Just a little past my finger tip. Or rather thumb tip. My nail bed is all bruised under the nail with a white area where the nail bent. It still hurts. Hope I don't lose the nail. Won't that be lovely.

• Like 2

Glad you had a good day, Jeepers, hopefully your thumb will be ok.  

I made it to TX safely.  Wind was an issue, but God was merciful and I missed the big storms that were moving in. Amen!

Then, DH is fixing things at home, that I had planned to do when I got back home, mentioning it’s better if we are prepared. I can’t help but think he may be concerned. 

Time to get some sleep, MIL & I have meetings tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Awww....  Glad you found your lil' table/chairs, Jeepers.  And [except thumb...OW!] you had such a productive, nice day!

Annarchy......."it's better if we are prepared."  ??  Anything in particular or just that, in general, it's all coming apart at the seams with crazy folks and raging folks and idiotic folks and vengeful folks and conniving folks and .....   ???  :pray:

MtRider ...Kindle works just fine if you push the right buttons  :happy0203:

• Like 1

Glad you are safe in TX. Lots of storms in the south. Especially this time of year.

Ya know, I don't think I ever turn my Kindle off either. I do get a screen that says, "Waking Up" when I open up the cover. Maybe that's the difference. When I close the cover it puts it in a different mode. Who knows. I can barely operate light switches these days. Productive. That's a good word for my day.

People are getting more and more insane. Today in a town in the county north of me, a man (49 years old) got into an argument with a manager at a Perkins restaurant. He pulled an iguana out of his shirt, swung it around his head by the tail and flung it at the manager. Think about it. A man sitting in a restaurant with an iguana in his shirt. Next thing you know he is yelling and swinging it around his head. Those things are huge! Last report was Copper the iguana needs surgery to mend a broken leg and is not doing very well. :yar:

Edited by Jeepers
It posted too soon.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
6 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

MtRider ...Kindle works just fine if you push the right buttons  :happy0203:

I've had one freeze up on me a while back.  Turned it off and back on, same issue.  I just left it on the charger overnight, and when I went back to it the next morning, it acted like it had never had any issues. 

• Like 2