MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I got quite a bit done today. I went to the ATM machine at my bank to finally try my new card. It worked. I figured I'd try there incase something went wrong so I could go inside.

Then I got the Jeep E-Checked. She passed. Probably lucky I got the oil and air filter changed yesterday. They have a new thing now. After they are finished with the test they make you close the gas cap and shut the little gas door. That never happened before and they were doing that to everyone. He stood right there beside me watching. I wonder if they were checking to see if you closed it all the way and made it click? I think he said, "Good" when I did that. I can't remember. Just a heads up if y'all have to do that. Another "clickit or ticket???

Then I went to get the license plate sticker. I figured there would be a hitch. Just a small one. I had to have my social security card. Luckily, with all of the stuff I've had to do in Indiana concerning my ID, I knew exactly where it was. That trip only took about 10 minutes.

Went down to K-Mart. Woo-Hoo. They were open and I got some shorts. I'll store them away. Partly to keep them new and mostly because I need to lose about 10 pounds to fit in most of them. I can get them on but they are tight. I like the elastic waste band even if they aren't stylish. One thing though. EVERYTHING in the store has sale signs on it. The shorts were 50% off. Most things were 40% off. I'll bet anything their days are numbered.  :(

Ran over to Hobby Lobby. I was in there for well over an hour. Good thing I don't work there. I'd owe them money at the end of a pay cycle. DIL said there is one over there so I'll wait until I get over there to get serious about any home décor. I didn't find a glass container. Mostly because I was too tired and hurting to pay attention or care. All I bought was a little broom for You-Know-Who. Keep him busy.

Went to Jo-Ann Fabrics and bought nothing. I'm not sure why I went there. Cause it was there I guess. So many stores in the strip type malls around here are empty.

Went to Michaels. I got a little 10 inch grapevine wreath and some baby's breath to make a decoration for the new house. Also some plain white bottle caps. I save some of those little Starbucks bottles of Mocha Frappacino (sp) you get at the grocery store but the lids are ugly. They look like milk bottles.

Drove by the nursery slowly to see if they are getting their summer plants in. They are. It's still a little early to plant them here though. The deer has destroyed a lot of mine. Some of the little new ones they just pulled up out of the ground and left them. 

Swung by Wendy's for a salad and lemonade and brought it home to eat.

Maybe I'll go to Old Time Pottery tomorrow. But probably not. My back is on fire and my legs will be in the morning.

Strange thing. When I got home some guy had left a message on my answering machine repeating, "Hello. Hello. Hello." until the machine clicked off. Sounded like a TV or something in the background. He just kept saying it in a flat voice. Creepy.

Daddy update...they sent him from the hospital...too hard to handle.  He was biligerant to the nurses and doctor.  Stepmum took him to a nursing home closer to their home (where he was to be transferred) because the nursing home didn't have a driver.  He wouldn't get out of the car.  After an hour she finally got him to go in.  Got a message this afternoon that he was refusing to stay and the nursing home won't make him...so there's talk of sending him home with hospice.  I'm betting he'll be the same way with anybody that tries to work with him.  I'm staying clear.  I have to.  I suggested that she should have had the doc declare him incompetent but she didn't do it.  If she had, she'd have more leverage about him staying put.  So...it is what it is.  I don't want him trying to pin me between himself and her.  She's a lovely Christian woman who's caught in a web of the devil.  I stay in touch with her pretty constant, to let her know that I do care.  

• Sad 4

Tried to catch up most of the laundry and other things that got set to the side during this past couple of weeks.  Hubby is still working on client's project...good...we can use the dollars!  Rained yesterday and a bit this morning.  Went "shopping" at the homestead this morning...hubby took me there.  I'm telling you...our extended pantry has absolutely saved our bacon these past several months.  We've store bought a few things, but mostly have eaten from our stock.  Praying that in June or so...I'll be able to use my inheritance check that I get twice a year, to replenish what needs to be replenished.  And when the real estate inheritance refund comes in, to pay the CC that we used for the water heater.  Had to close the windows and doors and drag out my long sleeved jammies.  Weather turned off very chilly at night.  Still have the fleece's on the bed so pulled one up over the sheet.  The heavier comforter-type is folded at the foot...just in case! LOL

• Like 2

Sorry to hear your dad is getting belligerent. Same thing happened with my granny. She refused to get out of the car at her daughters house once and went 'spread eagle ridged' on them. It took two strong men (son-in-law and grandson) and her daughter coaxing to get her out of that car. It took well over an hour just to get her out of the backseat. Actually, it happened more than once.

I'm so conflicted about medicating dementia patients. I read so many places where it is wrong, especially from care givers themselves. But when my grandmother was sedated after going into a nursing home, she became calm and relaxed and was living (in her mind) in a place where she was young, carefree and happy. She even thought she had a wife which was actually the nursing staff taking care of her cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. Bless her. We all just went along with it. She was in her 90's.

I suppose it can be a little easier (if that's possible) if you live near where they are being cared for so you can assist in their care if you want to and also do pop in visits.

I've already talked to my son about it in detail to help ease the burden of guilt on him. I think I'm going to write it out and have it notarized and put it with my will. Son and I are very close and I know if that time comes, he will lead with his heart and second guess everything he does. Same thing could happen if a stroke were to happen. Sigh.

Life can be difficult at times. But we are preppers and that's what we try do in all facets of our life. It ain't just about beans and rice and bullets.     :grouphug:

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

write it out

In our Revokeable Living Trust (We are both Trustees, and one will inherit the other as Trustee...nobody will be Trustee until we are both gone and then they become "Successor Trustee"), we have a "Pour Over Will" but also "Advanced Directives".  We feel they are a must.  The Pour Over is for "anything" inadvertantly left out...things purchased after the Trust was established, and the Adv.Dir. tell the doctors, nurses and relatives what you want or don't want.  We also have a "no contest" clause...if anyone contests our Trust or Will...they are automatically eliminated from the whole Trust.  Just sharing...as we prepared.

Edited by The WE2's
Added explanation
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most of laundry caught up.  Going to have to make more bread tomorrow, we're just about out.  Found a new recipe that is wonderful.  The bread is very spongy and we can fold it in half for sandwiches etc.  We both love it.  Still have a couple pieces of cornbread from last nights supper as well as several pieces of the bread.  Hubby is working on re-building client's storage shed floor and re-stretching and repairing chain link fence.  Said a huge tree root had grown up under one of the post, so it was pushing the post up and over.  Another was caused by setting the post only deep enough to hit a huge rock.  Lots of digging etc.  He was one tired puppy when he got home.  Had all his work shirts folded so all he had to do was put them away (normally he folds his own) after supper.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:56 AM, Jeepers said:

Too bad our Dollar Tree is so small.

Our Dollar Tree is small but they have glass goldfish bowls which might work for your carrots.  Just a thought.

Ran to Walmart yesterday for top soil for lick tubs. Then to thrift shops for a bit. Made a chicken vegetable stir fry and then some tuna salad so I have a couple different things to eat.

Today, I cleaned bathrooms and dusted house, hard boiled some eggs. It rained most of the day, today and I took it easy-ish.

• Like 2

Thanks Miki. It won't hurt to go have a look see. I need to go out tomorrow to mail bills and to the paper recycle bin anyway. I'm going to check out Old Time Pottery. That store is under rated IMO. The name doesn't help them. They have very little pottery in there.  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Jeepers, could you use a big tumbler drinking glass...in glass or clear plastic?  Or a tall straight-sided pitcher?  Depends on the type/shape of carrots you decide to grow.  Cool Grandma project!  :lois: 

Sigh....today was harsh.  10 phone calls.  Understand, I can go 3 days without ANY calls except calling my mom every nite.  Today was frazzling.  My folks....they "lost" each other at the store.  He was being who he is now  :(  and thus unpredictable.  He parked so far away [with her new hip only 6 months old] that she thot he'd left....so she took a taxi home.  Then he calls me to call her at the house...see if she's there.  Etc.  Etc. Long loud story.  Dementia is so very horrible.  I quickly updated my brother who also calls them daily in the afternoon.  He called me after he'd had his "conversation".  I called her as usual tonite and ....well, it's not going to be easy again, ever.  :(   Good and bad days but not easy.

Other calls were ...a prayer request...someone heading for the ER.  Hopefully ok by now, fighting salmonella, she thot.  More calls regarding the surgery.  I'll be having a phone conversation on Monday....so that was scheduled today.  Anesthesiologist.  Yes...we DO have things to discuss about my reaction to that.  Other stuff.  None of the 10 were 'sales' calls.  Good, cuz I was about 'rung'-out!  ;)   

Pray the situation with my folks does not blow sky-high around the time of my surgery....tho that would be a timing that he would unconsciously pick.

I am trying to daily push to walk further...faster.  Just a last minute attempt for fitness before surgery.  :shrug:  Totally depends on IF my coordination allows walking on any given day.  Today....I went twice as far as normal...easily and faster.  Way down the road with dog.  Tomorrow....can't tell.  But I'll take every functioning day to keep my cardio, etc working well.  Actually not too bad, I guess. 

MtRider  :pray:  

• Like 1

Mt. Rider. :hug3:

Some stores are so big now it's easy to lose your shopping buddy. My son is notorious for doing that. Sometimes it seems like he does it on purpose but I know he doesn't. We usually each have a cell phone so we can call to find out where the other one is. 

I'm sure others do that too because I can't remember the last time I heard the service desk announce over the intercom. "Mr. Smith, your party is waiting for you in the checkout area ".

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Jeepers said:

lose your shopping buddy.

We have an agreement...if we think "Me" is lost, I stand at the end of an aisle, in the middle of the store and he walks and looks down each aisle.  We never assume he is lost...:whistling::laughkick: But it works for us.

• Haha 3

Daddy update...step mum sent message that we siblings are to meet with a social worker this coming Tuesday.  One is not going to attend and one is an "maybe" (you know how that goes)...I'm thinking they know he's beyond her or hospice's ability to handle and is going to have to do something "against his will".  She knows she has our support...would think the other's would be in agreement since none of them would be willing to take him home with them!

• Sad 2

Found some more laundry that needed to be done up.  Where does that stuff hide?!  Baked a loaf of bread, didn't get to it yesterday.  Cleaned bathroom.  Visited the pantry shelf for some icing to put on the spice/applesauce cake I baked.  Made another pot of tea.  I have a microwave coffee pot that works wonderful for making tea.  I brew up a pot and just leave it in the microwave and when I want a glass of iced tea, I pour me some and add some ice and water and stevia.  Hubby got a paycheck and it sure feels good to have a few dollars in the wallet.  This month has been tighter than any we've ever had. As you all are aware...it's good to have pantry's and extended pantry's!  Since we had to charge for the water heater and it's parts and some of the things for Miss B., we're going to sit down and calculate how fast we can get this stuff paid off!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Jeepers said:

On the up side We2, if they don't show up then they can't complain about any decisions that are made. :pout:

'tis a lovely theory, but I don't think I've ever heard of it working. :cheeky-smiley-067:

Hubby & girl are off on a Boy Scouts camping trip (they joined an all-girls troop).

Boy is going to mow the lawn today.  I have a tea party at church this afternoon, and a dinner tonight, then church in the morning.  And I'm tired already!

I'm trying this new thing called "eating vegetables".  We'll see how that goes.

• Like 2

LOL TheCG. Yeah, I probably should have said, "You can throw it back in their face that they refused to be a part of the decision making so their opinion means nothing now." I was trying to be nice. I don't always do nice very well.  :24:  

• Haha 2

Farmer's market opened today so my daughter and I went to see what was there.  Too early in the season for many vegetables, but I got locally roasted coffee (it is so good!), soap, eggs, and turnips.  Then we hit the local farm market to get some more veggies for the week.  I'm trying really hard to buy more locally.  It's expensive though!  Next up - helping my daughter clean her room...

• Like 3
20 hours ago, The WE2's said:

going to have to do something "against his will".

Yeah  :(  Isn't that what we all TRY to avoid?  So after the hooha on Thurs....  Friday morning he was sitting on a dining room chair fast asleep.  He's been falling asleep like that for 5 yrs.  Phone rings and apparently he tried to jump up to get it, tangled in chair legs, and down went him and chair.  Not badly hurt but 2 gouges on arm.  Took a long nap on couch then.  Used too much energy with the hooha the day before.  But chair-tangling kinda 'cooled his jets'. 

Until the next incident....  :sigh: 

We're trying to balance resting, exercising, prepping for Friday surgery, and keeping an ear to the ground for trouble.  :0327:    

SUNNY day with blasts of wind that makes it less than warm.  :scratchhead:  Clouds and rain around close by.....  :shrug: 

MtRider  .....taking it day by day   :pray:

• Sad 3

Not much happening today. Got all of my bills in the mail box for another month. I swung by the grocery store to pick up a few things. Mostly perishables.

And that darn Snapshotmiki. She mentioned fruit salad in another post. I started craving fruit! Melon, strawberries, blueberries, grapes and a banana followed me home. I suppose I should thank her though. She saved me from a BK Whopper.  :kissy:

I got so hot in the store. I just had a light weight jacket on. But boy did that air feel so good when I came out. I would have taken my jacket off if I hadn't been pushing the cart. I got home and fired up the computer and noticed the temperature outside. It was 38 degrees! :008Laughing:

Its raining now. Hope it doesn't snow.

2 and a half year old grandson just called me on the phone. Dad dialed. He asked me what I was doing. LOL Dang, I didn't expect that. I was going to try to explain I was posting on Mrs. Survival. But I got all flustered and told him I was reading a book about three little pigs. I'm such a liar. Get the hand basket ready Satan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So, I learned today that I am not in a good enough shape to do yard work.

After weed-eating around the house and camper, my left arm feels like it's trying to fall asleep and is rather shaky when I try to use it.

The boy walked in and went, "Wow, you're that red after just that?"

Uh, yeah.  That's why I don't normally do the yard work.   

I really need to get in better shape.

• Like 2

Ewwww.....such realizations happen all too frequently at our ages, TheCG.  That's why I'm trying to make sure I walk the dog every night.  [almost]  I was doing all those chores when DH was still working.  Now...he's retired and he's doing a lot of stuff.  But I have to make the choice to do some things ..as much as I can. 

So yes, walked dog down the road tonite.  Then DH.....who was feeding horses and putting up the ducks for the nite....picked us up on the road and we went to communal mail boxes to mail a card.  Then we went home.  A walk and a ride and an errand accomplished.  :D

Trying to balance taking it easy for all the pre-op and surgery procedures this week and keeping my strength/stamina up.  :imoksmiley:  I don't balance very well.  Ah well, this too shall pass.

MtRider  :pray: 

• Like 1

Yesterday, I made Stuffed Pepper casserole, egg salad, and then hard boiled a few more eggs for later. Otherwise, took it easy all day--no Church, no cleaning.

Today, I have laundry going already, will roll some change - working on getting enough money together to get a folding treadmill from Walmart- and get rid of most of my - to big for me- clothes. A little ambitious, but I seem to have energy today!

Yesterday hubby got started on mowing the other half of the homestead and then got rained out.  While he was mowing though, I dug out all the durned poke weed starts and other weeds that were coming up in my wild garden.  The Comfrey is doing great, one of the Mullein plants is HUGE and I have 3 other starts.  The Elderberry bush is greening up and has two new starts coming up.  Haven't seen any of the Echinacea, Yarrow or Queen Anne's Lace coming up.  They may not have survived.  It rained and stormed most of yesterday so since we were tuckered out from yard work we finished off the day doing nothing!

• Like 1