MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Yesterday was a hard one, with the back.  This morning got up in the wee hours with back pain. Two cycles of stretches did not help much.  Nor did hot shower.  Couldn't reach the place to put on a patch.  Melted an ice pack without relief.  Finally took an H-bomb (three years old, to tell you how much I hate them) and after a while was able to fall asleep in my recliner. 

Woke up a few hours later, feeling only a little more stiff and achy than usual.  You have to admire the body's ability to put itself back in order, if it can get rest.

This morning I was shown a loquat with the biggest fruit I have ever seen.  And, unlike most fruit that's big for its kind, it tasted really good.  I planted eight seeds from it this afternoon.  Seedlings take a long, long time to mature, but I'm in this for the long haul.

• Like 2

Back pain really puts you out of commission. Even worse when you can't reach it. Don't know what an H-Bomb but I'm glad you got some relief!  :hug3:

It is still raining here. Everything in the ground is swimming. This has to be one of the wettest springs here. Every place really. The grass is so high but so is everyone else's.

I got another kitchen cabinet cleaned out and packed up last night. It was a small one but at least its done.  I also got half of the lazy Susan cleaned out. This kitchen has a lot of cabinets. More cabinet space = more stuff to fill them with. Thirty years worth of stuff.  :sigh: 

• Like 3

Oh Jeepers...you keep reminding me what we've got ahead of us when we finally get to some serious moving from here.  We try to move a little periodically but we're pretty much down to bare bones of what we need to keep here.  Can't take our clothes, dressers etc., over yet because the bedroom and dining room there are full of stuff already, and have lots of his tools in the bedroom as well as the new vanity and toilet etc.  

Took a ride to the Roost to make sure they had stopped the mail, which they have.  Then walked through the "Spring Fest" that they were having.  Just a couple of blocks but all three of us got some walking in.  Then to a Mennonite store in another town to pick up some more Vit.C, some A (to set back) and another bottle of Magnesium  Just about out of the Mag.  Then drove to another small town that was having a city wide garage sale event.  Just mostly to look, but did pick up some cheap candles and another "Bullet" with some lids etc.  Mine has all the cups etc., but the motor seems to be getting weak.  Cost?  3$ We just wanted to get out and enjoy the weather.  Tomorrow we'll be spending most of the day mowing and then later in the evening we'll go pick up the Air Fryer my friend is selling.

• Like 2

A PS...went to the homestead to drop off the candles we bought and watered my porch plants.  All my lettuce heads are gone except one...I do believe a bird stole them! :gaah:The Mullein plants are awesome, especially one by the rain barrel (which didn't seem to fill after all!).  The Comfrey plants are growing really good also.  The same birdie that stole my lettuce also seemed to have pulled up one of my little Petunia's!  I stuck it back into the soil so maybe it'll re-root and survive.

• Like 3
On 5/4/2019 at 7:46 AM, TheCG said:

Got up early.  Read, exercised, journaled, did dishes, had coffee, etc.

Planning to hit the farmer's market this morning, but I plan that almost every Saturday and normally end up getting distracted by other things.  

In case you were wondering: I got distracted by other things.

• Haha 5

We decided to take the power poles our friend gave us for FREE. Little did I know how BIG they are up close.  :0327: DH cut them in 11-foot lengths and hauled them home in a trailer behind his tractor. I don't know how he did it!!  :imoksmiley: We started building the woodshed yesterday and collapsed into bed last night. This is too early in the season to work all day. We need to sneak up on it.    :24:  I prefer the ground work and DH handles the tractor.  About three more days of hard work and the roof will be ready to build. I think he said that it will be 30-feet long.  :imoksmiley:  Then we can start filling it.  :0327:

P1040242.thumb.JPG.db88153c607990d13de9e27c0d36372c.JPGP1040266.thumb.JPG.32a833542d8efffe99b84f22567372b5.JPG

• Like 5

Wow Homesteader, that is huge! Awesome job. 

Yeah We2, moving isn't any fun. At least you will be moving local with a big strong man to help you. Trying to look on the bright side.  :D

It finally stopped raining for today. Not sure about the rest of the week. Even if it doesn't rain the rest of the week of will still be too wet to do anything outside. I really need to replace some shrubs. The deer pulls them up and leaves them in the driveway. I'm not sure what will deter them. Human urine? I'm not above....never mind. TMI.

I didn't do much today. Took a load to a dumpster and two bags to the Salvation Army. Swung by Wendy's for a baked tater and a chili. And a frosty. And a lemonade for later. 

• Like 2

Ambergris....hope your back cooperates!  :(  Surviving some nites is more ambitious than daytime, right? 

Annarchy/WE2   ....shame on those critters for stealing your plants and flowers!  Shooo! 

Jeepers....we tried human hair for the deer.  How about big old THORNY bushes  ....or fake thorns like: fake blackberry stakes embedded into the soil right where you're trying to start the bushes?   Or the good ole Western look...barbed wire, shaped with a decorative look.  :lol:   Deer are persistent. 

Homesteader....um, it kinda looks like y'all are FILLING the shed before it's even built.  :laughkick:   Sounds like something we'd do.  Ambitious project!  Is your mom still liking her new digs?  :pray: 

MtRider  .....planing on laying about and eating bon bons for a while....   :buttercup: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4

I have plenty of hair. It really needs cut too. I thought of putting those little spiked fences around some of them but the deer are so tall they probably wouldn't even notice them. It would have to be five foot tall. Probably have the city on me with those things in the front yard. The thing is, the guy who put them in last year said they were deer proof. I looked them up and they are. Except at my house. They just pull them up and don't even eat them. They just fling them in the driveway. WHY???

Thorny bushes? They pulled up my barberry. :icon19:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Mt_Rider said:

Homesteader....um, it kinda looks like y'all are FILLING the shed before it's even built.  :laughkick:   Sounds like something we'd do.  Ambitious project!  Is your mom still liking her new digs?  :pray: 

We wanted to use the same split wood that was on the old pallets. I hate moving wood twice, but the pallets were needed. I hope hubby isn't planning on filling the entire 8' x 30' woodshed THIS YEAR.  :imoksmiley:

Mama seems to like her new digs. The great-granddaughters came over and enjoyed all the stories about the Great Depression and WWII. They also like her gorgeous view of the pond outside her patio door.    :wave:

Noel Manor.jpg

• Like 6

What a lovely view she has. 

Ugh TheCG, that's what I need to do this week. I need jeans. I'm at that awkward stage. Regulars are too long and petites are too short. I think I might be getting shorter. 

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Ugh TheCG, that's what I need to do this week. I need jeans. I'm at that awkward stage. Regulars are too long and petites are too short. I think I might be getting shorter. 

I do believe I'm in between lengths as well, but I'm in between regulars and longs, and none of the stores out here want to carry longs!

• Like 3

So...did the weed-eating last Sunday.  Wrists hurt for a few days, then then didn't bug me.  Woke up Sunday with both hands just numb.  No pins and needles like they went to sleep.  Just no feeling at all when I first woke up.  My wrists have hurt ever since.  I think I'll be sleeping with the braces on tonight.

• Sad 5

Yesterday we both mowed the homestead.  He took the east side, I took Abby-girl's yard and we split the garden area.  Totally worn out, throwed some meat and seasoning in the hot pot, poured this mix over rice and had some pork and beans...and called it done!  Did stop and pick up my new air fryer though.  It's a dandy!  Haven't taken it out of the box yet.  Needed to get some of my Vidalia onions jarred up.  Had left over meat mix from last night so dumped some asian noodles in a skillet and heated up, added the meat mix, added some Fajita seasoning, added some mixed veggies and then fixed some "cheese wraps" with some small tortilla's we had in frig.  Not bad for a "using stuff up" meal!  Ended up with 11 half pints of onions, 3 pints of onion stock and a half pint of onion stock with a bit of onion in it.  Didn't have to throw anything away! They'll get washed and labeled tomorrow after we get home from Dad's funeral service.  Not looking forward to it.  It's getting ready to storm here now and tomorrow it's supposed to storm also.  We'll be taking umbrella's.

59934789_601763473687365_2286029294285094912_n Vidalia Onions 5-6-19.jpg

• Like 2

It's occurred to me that all my joints are acting funny here the last few days, not just my wrists.  They're just the worst.  I'm guessing it's because I've been eating too much crap lately...

• Sad 3

Morning chores and exercise video. Went to thrift shop sale. Visited with friend in nursing home. Stopped st 2nd thrift shop. Went to Dollar Tree for a couple of things. Stopped at a friend's for Avon book. Went to Walgreen's for coupon special for A&H laundry soap. Walmart for a few things. Finally home and just exhausted! Went next door and sat on porch with neighbor for a few minutes and now on this website. I need to make loquat jam a little later. Maybe

• Like 2
9 hours ago, TheCG said:

It's occurred to me that all my joints are acting funny here the last few days, not just my wrists.  They're just the worst.  I'm guessing it's because I've been eating too much crap lately...

Do you have seasonal allergies?    It seems as soon as my allergies start acting up  from all of the pollen, my body gets all achy. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, The WE2's said:

tomorrow after we get home from Dad's funeral service.

We'll all be praying...... :pray:

Sounds painful, TheCG. 

Jeepers is going to have suds flowing down the street, Twilight.  :lol:   But I have heard of that working. 

Sheeeesh......  :0327:   .....reading all that Miki does makes me wanna lay down for a nap!   ;)   You're an ambitious woman, friend!  [I'm envious, of course.]

LOL.... with our upstairs/downstairs being outside, we do try to accomplish everything in one trip when we go down for something.  DH came up:  Brought up the baking soda.  Forgot the tube biscuits [great cheat for when you're exhausted].  Opened the dryer door but forgot to bring the dry clothes up.  :rolleyes:  Just gonna be like this till we get recovered.  DH was NOT NOT NOT having a good time on Fri/Sat either.  But we'll get there.

MtRider  ....hope the car isn't too much $$$$$  :unsure:  It's been an expensive weekend already!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Some times things just feels eerie.  TheCG talked about buying pants and I was just getting ready to start shopping for some too. I found some jeans today at Wally World. Then she mentioned her wrist and just last night I was looking up wrist and forearm pain.

While out shopping I stopped Barns and Nobel and picked up a book about bee keeping. I got home and Out Of The Ordinary mentioned a book titled, "The Keeper of the Bees." There was something else but I can't remember now.

While I was out shopping I picked up one of those big exercise balls. I've been eying them for awhile. I think leaning over one would really feel good on my back. Its still in the box so I wonder how you are supposed to inflate it. I probably should had thought about that while still at the store. Bicycle pump? I surly don't have to blow it up!  :o

Looks good We2. Prayers for you tomorrow.

THANK YOU TWILIGHT!  I've heard of that but totally forgot about it. I'll definitely try it.  LOL Mt. Rider.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

While I was out shopping I picked up one of those big exercise balls. I've been eying them for awhile. I think leaning over one would really feel good on my back. Its still in the box so I wonder how you are supposed to inflate it. I probably should had thought about that while still at the store. Bicycle pump? I surly don't have to blow it up!  :o

Yes, a bicycle pump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Do you have seasonal allergies?    It seems as soon as my allergies start acting up  from all of the pollen, my body gets all achy. 

:laughkick:

When I lived in Austin, the only time I breathed clearly was when they accidentally put me on triple prescription antihistamines.

Yes, yes, I definitely have seasonal allergies.  I should argue with those more, apparently.

• Like 1

OUCH!  

No, ....not me.  The car repairs are going to be painful.  But this BRONCO BUSTING routine as we go down our roads, now has an explanation.  DH asked car guy to check all suspension.  Since riding, even in back seat, was making me disoriented and nauseous.  Oh yeah.  Shocks, struts and some other parts will be replaced.  Rotors ...of which I only know involve the wheels [brakes?] ...are 'warped'?  :scratchhead:     I drove the car only a few blocks but also as a rider, I told DH that SOMETHING is not right!!!!  There was a definite SHIMMY/STUTTER when he braked.  He's not a mechanical guy.  More a medical guy.   I don't have a lot of vehicle mechanical knowledge but.....I have a feel and ear for what isn't right. 

But....painful as this bill will be, it sounds like perhaps trips on these roads will now be less   :sassing:  and :fryingpan:     Think we'll be a bit safer for these longer distances for medical appointments too.

MtRider  ...getting things handled bit by bit.  :pray: 

• Like 2