MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Yeah,  :hug3:  Jeepers.  I really dislike that sort of negotiation too. 

It's snowing.....  yes, really.  It was raining when DH was going down to feed.  Pouring straight down.  So I bundled up quick cuz it takes two of us to put that NASTY OLD NAG into the coat so she won't go into hyperthermia in this kind of weather.  CUZ she refuses to stay inside the shelter where she could be dry!  :motz_6:    So it's turning to snow as DH hangs onto her....somewhat, chased her down x2....and I slip the neck loop over her neck....inside out, we finally figured out.  :buttercup:   How did I even manage that?    Tried again and we got it buckled tight...but it's crooked.  Unbuckle and by now my bare hands are freezing but we got 'er done!  Ungrateful wretch!  Tho there is lots of green grass, we're still throwing some hay on times like this.  35* and soggy rain/sleet/snow.  A half inch so far that's sticking.  

Well, it will put out all the campfires left by "foreigners"  who camped or picnicked this past weekend.   :campfire:   "Foreigners" being anyone who hasn't lived in this county during our decades of WILDFIRES.  WE all know better [theoretically, of course]  than to leave a campfire in any condition than STONE-COLD-DEAD.  If you haven't got the guts to plunge your bare hand into the ashes....you'd best be working on it more.  :baseballbat:   I say this with more venom cuz there is a live one near my folks from this weekend.  :banghead:    Turned into a wildfire ....less than 10 acres, last I heard.  Hopefully they can fully contain it with this additional moisture.  If we'd been in June or July...they'd be evacuating by now....and THAT would be all we'd need. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Jeepers, Doppler looks like your state will have incoming weather again tonite.  Have a weather alert radio? 

WE2...you and Mr. doing ok?  My MO friend spent an uneasy nite last nite.  They are E of KC-MO.  Lost power and spent time in basement but missed and hit where they used to live in Excelsior Springs.  Brutal!

MtRider  :pray: for all in the continuous path of these storms!!

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
On 5/27/2019 at 9:10 PM, Jeepers said:

oak furniture

My 6' long dresser and my 5' high wardrobe are made of oak.  Both of them went through a fire that destroyed my mom's mobile home many, many, many years ago...like 35?...and she let me salvage them.  I went to work scrubbing them down, sanding away all the burn and scorch marks and re-stained them.  They will never leave my home! When we move to the homestead they'll have to be in our dining room "looking like" furniture because they're so big and heavy.  Hubby knows...LOL 

• Like 4

Have mercy. The furniture guy and I are besties now. Probably engaged. We were talking on the phone and my head was so filled with numbers  etc. when we went to hang up I said, "Love ya". I couldn't believe I said that. I am so used to saying that to my family every time we hang up it just slipped out. He took it well and laughed his butt off and said, "Well I'm mighty fond of you too." I swear I need a nanny. Or a muzzle. 

This was after all the negotiations were done so he knows it wasn't  a 'come-on' for furniture. He's about my age and married. Totally innocent. Sigh. I'm a hot mess.

I got the color and pattern picked put. He is emailing me the exact dimentions so I guess the ball is in my court. 

Here is the thing. I had a budget in mind because I saw some furniture I could live with in town. It is pretty but not really my style. It is expensive and not really what I like. So I had an idea about what I was going to have to spend. But if I was going to have.to spend that kind of money it should be what I like.  Oak. 

With this guy, I'm getting all the pieces I wanted for the bedroom that the other place had, plus two more extra pieces. And a dining room table, a small accent table for behind the front door and a glass quilt chest. All for less money than the town furniture store. And it's solid oak Amish made. I've been saving for something like this for a long long time.

I'm picking out the smaller of any two items because it's just me and I don't need a huge dressers and a chest so that helps save some money. Not a lot but anything helps. 

I don't mind negotiating too much and I'm not too bad at it. I got 10% off the package. A free tri fold mirror for the dresser and free delivery. 

I'm starting to be able to breathe again. 

• Like 4

So glad you have your furniture quandary taken care of, @Jeepers!  Also hope that Mt. Rider warms up and that Kappy cools down!  Diversity!  Pretty warm here, also--lower 90s mostly.

We had success at the audiologist yesterday! DH should have hearing aids for the first time in his life, within a couple of months. Got good deals at the thrift store and of course at the salvage grocery!

So far today--Made croutons and bread crumbs from some older frozen bread, made riced cauliflower in the food processor. A visiting nurse came and fitted dH for a percussion vest--brought one too big and will send smaller one soon. Tried to call VA but their phone system is wacky again. Will go weed in garden in awhile.

I think I will have solved my lack of sleep problem soon! I believe it started when I had to start getting up early to take care of goats in the morning--probably over a year ago. DH's breathing was a lot worse and we were worried that he might not make it back in to the house. Now, his breathing is better and we have room mate also here. I used to sleep ok so I hope this change of shifts will help. He will start mornings again after next week, since I have to be up for Vacation Bible School anyway June 3-7. So looking forward to a decent night's sleep again. Hope to get away from the Ambien that helps a little, sometimes, but not much!

• Like 3

Thanks Miki everything seems to be a big deal lately.

So glad your hubby is getting seen to! I'm sure a room mate is a big help easing your mind with someone else being there when you aren't.

5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Have mercy. The furniture guy and I are besties now. Probably engaged. We were talking on the phone and my head was so filled with numbers  etc. when we went to hang up I said, "Love ya". I couldn't believe I said that. I am so used to saying that to my family every time we hang up it just slipped out. He took it well and laughed his butt off and said, "Well I'm mighty fond of you too." I swear I need a nanny. Or a muzzle. 

:008Laughing: Thanks for the laugh, Jeepers.  I'm still chuckling.  .....probably cuz I could see me doing that too.  :sEm_blush:  MS sometimes gets my mouth/brain connection tangled.  ....that's my story anyway.  Blame it on MS....or aging.  :whistling:  

So glad your negotiations went so well.  I'm glad you will have furniture that will please you.   Now you've got real motivation to get into that new house with beloved furniture and family!  And all that heavy stuff does not have to be hauled from OH.  Sounds like winning all the way around.  :thumbs: 

Thanks Miki.  About 35* last nite but was sunny here for most of today.  Seems to have turned gloomy now.  We'll see if we're going to get wet  again today.  I don't mind much....keeps fire danger down and grows grass for horses/goat.  Hope your new schedule fixes your sleep!!!  I'm getting by with one-quarter of the sleep aid.....so far.  Good to hear your dh is doing better!!!  :amen: 

WE2....that sounds like furniture that was well worth the salvage effort!  But I can see why no one wants to lug it up stairs.  The type of solid stuff one would dive under during a storm or earthquake, right?  Good stuff, and oak is so beautiful!!! 

• Like 3

It's storming and pouring down rain again here today. I can't remember the last day we didn't have rain. My cousin's husband farms in south eastern Indiana and she said he hasn't been able to get in his field to do anything at all.

I don't remember if I mentioned this or not but, at the toll gate coming from Ohio into Indiana a huge flat bed truck pulled up beside me. It was sooo BIG. On the bed was bale after bale of hay. Not normal size bales but each bale was like four regular size bales. I assume it was bringing hay in to the drowned out farmers. It was from Idaho.

I talked to a cousin today. One of our other cousins just went into a nursing home a month or so ago. She is in her early/mid 70's. Alzheimer's. Its so darn sad. She has always been so sweet and quiet. She is upset that her furniture (made by her father) and her cat is gone. She has five kids and says they never go see her. Not true. They take turns so someone goes nearly every day. Plus her brothers and sisters. It's just so sad and upsetting.

• Sad 5

The weather looks so unsettled across the states. We are warming up, as usual. High 90’s clear skies, expecting to pass 100* soon.

Took the dogs to the lake. Poor Grrr had a tough time getting in & out of the car. At the lake, he went in quite deep & stood there for quite a while. He looked for minnows, but I didn’t see any. DH had to lift him up to go home. Then, he didn’t want to get out of the car. Breaks my heart. 

Company came over yesterday. Made green chili chicken enchiladas, beans & rice with tortilla chips, bean dip & they brought pico. Leftovers were packaged in small vacuum sealed bags for MIL. 

“N” opened his ice chest, to let the pups get ice... Grrr was munching ice, then... he found their package of hotdogs... pulled it out of the ice. The guys tried to get it away from him, but not before he got a good bite.  They were laughing, because Grrr had a death grip on the package. That’s the second time Grrr has stolen food from them. The first time, we barbecued stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in tortillas, “N” set his plate down to throw away a can, before he turned around, Grrr had made off with his burrito. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Took my shoulder to the doctor today.  He gave me two muscle names, one with delta or deltoid in it, and one with tricep in it, and told me I had partially torn one or both of them.  No wonder my chiro got to the bottom of his bag of tricks without clearing up the problem.  Next step is to visit my old friends at the orthopedic center for MRI and possible surgery.

Probably happened in one of my falls.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Sad 1

ONE of your falls?   You're starting to sound like me.   :imoksmiley:   Yeah, hope someone can fix it.  Deltoid muscle in upper arm.  Bicepts and tricepts too.   Tuck and roll....if you can.  

Next two days will be busy.  #3 Cousin/dh arriving.  Only here a short time.  Hope we don't snow.....  :frozen:  Didn't today.  :rolleyes:  

main-qimg-1b8ea17f5bbcae4f10ceca0496e7f31f.png

images.jpg

Edited by Mt_Rider
to too two
  • Thanks 2

Shaking in my flip-flops today.

I just made the down payment on the bedroom furniture. I can't believe the cost. Compared to the other discount stores and the expensive store in town, I'll be getting 4 extra pieces (including a dining room farm table for 6, sofa table and a glass quilt display case) for almost half the price of just the bedroom set from the expensive store. I can't believe it. Plus its exactly what I've always dreamed of and solid oak and Amish made. They are making the footboard shorter so I don't trip over it or hit my hip on it. I've been putting away some money from my S.S. check each month for a year for furniture to help soften the blow.

I saw the same thing on another website that was having a Memorial Day sale for 13% off. I told him about it to see how he would take it. He offered 10% off, a free tri fold mirror for the dresser and free shipping. The other website is in Ohio so shipping would have been expensive.

Now all I need are chairs for the dining room table and a couch and a couple of recliners. And g-sons room but I'm going cheap in his room so I don't have to worry about him marking it up.

The only hitches are it will take about 8 weeks to make. I'm really stunned. I thought solid hand crafted furniture was more expensive than showroom pieces. Overhead, commissions, competition? I don't know. I do know it's the last bedroom furniture I'm ever buying. Dining room too after I get some chairs. I'll probably go with painted chairs in there. I'm O-U-T of money.

The other hitch is with the quilt case. It's made in Ohio so he (me) would have to pay for shipping from here to there. All the other pieces are made in Indiana. Sooo, since I'm about an hour + away from them I'll just go ahead and pick it up myself when it's ready.

I really hope this whole thing doesn't fall through.

• Like 3

Took in some nice weather...when it occurred...and got some mowing done.  I mowed the garden area while hubby took care of the rest of the homestead...took us about 5 hours.  With all the rain, the grass etc. had gotten very tall.  Then he finished here and then went to the Roost and mowed there.  Humidity right now?  81% so without a/co we're done doing anything except having cool showers and resting!  There's  storms all around us so that's why the humidity is so high.  Not sure if we'll get any rain or not.  Lots of friends who are facing serious flooding issues since they love around lakes etc. 

Did make a day trip to a favorite swap meat (about 40 miles away) and we really found a couple of good deals.  I picked up two dozen Ball canning jars for 4$, an electric hedge trimmer (which was on our hunt list) for 13$, a Olympian (sp?) Catalytic propane heater for 12$, two small canvass 3 legged chairs for 3$ (they're light and we can carry them when we're out and about and need a place to just rest for a minute or two, and stopped by a Mennonite store and picked up 3 flats of green beans (We share them with Abby-girl) and two cases of frozen yogurt for 4$ a case.  One was chocolate mint and the other caramel pretzel.  Won't need to run to McD's when I have an "ice cream yearn"!  We get two servings out of a pint so it's really a savings for us.  

• Like 3

Awesome deals We2. 

It stormed off and on all day here. It seemed like one went through and then another one right behind it. The mower guy hasn't been able to mow for a couple of weeks now and he sure isn't going to like what he sees. I can't stop the rain though. Sounds like a song title... "Who'll Stop The Rain" apologies to  CCR.

I'm really concerned for the farmers. And our food prices. Maybe even availability   :( 

• Like 2

I am SOOOOOO ticked off!

I was flipping back and forth through various pages to get the best mix of generator features.  Got a solid option:  powerful enough, quiet run technology, dual fuel, and electric start.  This morning got notice it was shipping, so I checked my balance.  It was $150 or so too cheap.  Checked the shipping paperwork.  Wrong item.  Checked what I ordered.  Wrong item.  Has only one of my four required features.  But it's shipped.  So I have to wait until it's delivered, tell Amazon I ordered it by mistake, ship it back, get a refund, and then order the right one.  Serves me right if I have to pay for return shipping.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Sad 2

Oh darn Ambergris. Don't feel alone. I've done similar things too. Makes me question myself sometimes. They might not charge you for return shipping if you tell them that you ordered it by mistake and meant to get a more expensive one. I'm sure they have dealt with this before. 

When I've done that and the person bulked I reasoned it out by saying something like "I'm willing to spend more money and you are willing to lose a sale over shipping?" said in a nicer way than that probably sounded. Big companies like Amazon will usually eat the shipping if you appeal to their human side. It was an honest mistake. Tell them you are willing to buy the more expensive one right now but you can't afford the more expensive one of you have to pay for return shipping too.

Tell them you aren't asking for a refund per se that you are willing to apply what you've already spent and make up the difference. They probably won't do that but it will show your sincerity. Assuming all of the above is true. It never hurts to try. :hug3:

• Thanks 1

Touristing with cousins.  Met for breakfast.  Saw mountains.  Saw weird rock formations.  Saw scenic overlooks.  Saw rain.  Took pictures.  Saw gift shop....gotta get the coffee mug.  Said goodbye. 

Was a very short visit but last nite we spent hours pouring over OLD family pictures.  My mom identified quite a few.  Got some genetic lines figured out.  She's the last on that side.  We all had a great time.  My mom and I are going to be wiped out for days tho.  Worth it!  :happy0203:  

:buttercup:   Coulda done without shoes slipping out cuz of sand on pavement....just as I stepped out of car.  CRACKED my elbow on edge of car door to keep from landing on the ground.  OW!  Nervous system was nearly settled down after our breakfast. 

We're getting RAIN ...and thunder/lightning.... but it's not SNOW!  IS IT SUMMER YET?   :lol: 

MtRider   :offtobed:    for a nap!!!

• Like 1

Picked our first batches of Egyptian Walking onions, Lambs Quarter and Garlic Chives from the homestead this morning.  The raspberry "transplant" that we did 2 years ago (was hidden under the Lambs Quarter forest last year) is loaded with berries.  We'll have to start spraying with Neem and hanging some VCR tapes to keep the bugs and birds at bay.  The older ones on the back fence have a few, and so far no black berries.  We have one cluster of blooms on our Elderberry plant, and it's grown two new starts from the original.  It's my understanding that Elderberries grow abundant berries every other year, and that if you want more you need to cut them back every fall.  We didn't do that.  The Mullein's are growing huge.  The Comfrey has beautiful purple flowers that will go to seed and hopefully spread also.  The tomato plants are doing great in their own little baskets.  When they get tall enough I'll train them to grow down over the edge of their pot.  They're the smaller garden variety tomatoes so they should do well???  The mint starts are doing okay.  Next time I'll start them in water and let them grow their "legs" and then put them into soil.  I want to plant mint across the entire front easement at the homestead.  It will help keep mosquito activity down?  And just think how wonderful it will smell when mowed! There's a sidewalk between the easement and our front yard (Abby-girl's yard) so we'll be able to keep it contained.  If it grows into the ditch?  Oh well...LOL   This afternoon hubby worked on the passenger side mirror to get it to stabilize.  So far, the driver's side is holding up pretty good. That's wonderful! Was such a safety issue to have to roll down the window and adjust his side mirror before he could merge or turn left, and I had to keep my eye on the passenger side if he needed to do the same on that side.  Slowly but surely Miss B is truly becoming road worthy.

61845028_2036072216515688_647412074435051520_n.jpg

62077282_744382729325641_3067750171501658112_n.jpg

• Like 3

I love 'green onions'. Is that the same as Egyptian walking onions?

Eventually the mint will take over everything. There is really no containing it when it gets its root system established underground. In about 5-10 years your neighbors will either love you or hate you. :D

• Haha 1