MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Egyptian walking onions get their baby propagation onions developed at the tops.  When they get big enough...heavy enough, they bend the green part over and begin to send roots into the ground.....and thus have taken the first step in "walking".  Their green part can get really big.  I'd never heard the term Tree Onion.

http://www.southernexposure.com/egyptian-walking-onion-tree-onion-1-oz-p-955.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_onion

The aftermath of my skid/fall/catch incident yesterday was sore neck/shoulder muscles.  Today:  HUGE, Pierce-Thru-Temples, HEADACHE.  Been dealing with it allllll day.  :imoksmiley:   Still better than not catching myself before I slid under the car door and scraping my entire spine on bottom edge of car frame.   Haven't accomplished much today.  Did go for a slow, short walk with DH and Koa.  DH had Koa.  Little too fragile for even her careful self when I'm not up to things.  The pain recedes and returns.  This too, shall pass. 

MtRider  :huh:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Homesteader said:

A great go-to for onion lovers.  :happy0203:

"Go To"  cuz they walk all over the place, of course!  :lol:    Yeah, we had them in Minn.  I had a friend identify them....unfortunately he was terribly allergic to all onions so I had to keep my distance with the sample I brought him.  Touching them gave him hives.  Out here in CO, the critters [above and below ground] would just eat them.......all. 

:balloons:  I HAVE NO HEADACHE TODAY:amen:  Such a relief.  Slept well too.  Pretty worn out....to be expected. 

We're having our 4th straight day of rain/thunderstorms.  Sunny warm morning but the Colorado Standard Summer weather USED TO MEAN 4pm thunderstorms.  These are arriving before noon.  :tapfoot:  I watch the Doppler in time-lapse and the green globs just spawn spontaneously all over the state.....then begin their daily dance eastward, turning more intense.  :twister3:  

Got more laundry done....it has backed up with all the goings-on. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:  

• Like 3
On 6/2/2019 at 12:41 PM, Ambergris said:

I am SOOOOOO ticked off!

I was flipping back and forth through various pages to get the best mix of generator features.  Got a solid option:  powerful enough, quiet run technology, dual fuel, and electric start.  This morning got notice it was shipping, so I checked my balance.  It was $150 or so too cheap.  Checked the shipping paperwork.  Wrong item.  Checked what I ordered.  Wrong item.  Has only one of my four required features.  But it's shipped.  So I have to wait until it's delivered, tell Amazon I ordered it by mistake, ship it back, get a refund, and then order the right one.  Serves me right if I have to pay for return shipping.

It arrived in a battered box that had clearly been opened and taped shut again.  I filed for a return.  They said no returns or refunds.  I complained  They issued a refund.

Whew!

Now I can get the one I had intended to get.

• Like 6

Weather forecast is predicting our temperature to reach 105*F next week..summer is here... :knary:

I mowed the yard, trimmed a few things, and deep watered the lawn, picked some jalapeños, fava beans, radishes and trimmed some spices. 

Went to the motor vehicle department and got my handicap plate. They didn’t charge me for it. Nice!  The placard barely fit on the mirror and I didn’t want to damage it trying to put it on and take it off. Plus, now, I don’t have to remember to bring it with me all the time, only when I drive another vehicle.  

Tuesday, Grrr went to sleep. Gunny has been depressed, he finally wanted to play a little yesterday. The house seems so quiet without him and the ferrets.  This too shall pass. We’re hoping to take Gunny to the lake next week. 

• Sad 6

Aw, Annarchy I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how deafening that quiet can be. You've had your share of heartache with your fur kids the past year. My heart hurts for you my friend and for Gunny too.  :hug3:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got my quarterly taxes paid today. Yuck. Somehow I ended up at Wal-Mart. I decided this weekend was the one I am going to get all of my quilt patterns printed out and in a binder. I got a box of paper just one step up in weight from the regular paper. Got some sleeve protectors and some ink. I figured I have about 160 or so patterns. Boy, did I under estimate. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I got home and started counting them. About 330 of them. Some are two pages and some are three pages. Sigh. At least I already have them all cleaned up and edited each in a Word document. I got most of them from one site. I've got about 15 done but I'm waiting for my 'no jam' paper to get unjammed and the printer to reset.

I should have thought about this when we were having all of that rain and stuck inside. It's kind of a boring job that requires constant attention so I don't get the pages mixed up...again.

I talked to another cousin yesterday. She was complaining about how big the rolls of toilet paper are these days and how you can only get the big jumbo packs. She's not a city slicker living in an apartment with limited room. She has lived on a farm her whole life. Still does. And is in her early 70's. How she got this far in life, in the country, without a hoard supply of TP is beyond me. She would go into prostrations if she looked in one of my closets. Or the basement. I kept my mouth shut and just said, "Um-huh, I know". But I was thinking thank goodness for Sam's Club mega 45 double roll packs of Northern TP.  2-Ply.

Looks like tomorrow I'll need to go for more paper and ink. And a bigger notebook. A really big one.

Edited by Jeepers
Non-Spacing Issues. There Weren't Any.
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I talked to another cousin yesterday. She was complaining about how big the rolls of toilet paper are these days and how you can only get the big jumbo packs. She's not a city slicker living in an apartment with limited room. She has lived on a farm her whole life. Still does. And is in her early 70's. How she got this far in life, in the country, without a hoard supply of TP is beyond me. She would go into prostrations if she looked in one of my closets. Or the basement. I kept my mouth shut and just said, "Um-huh, I know". But I was thinking thank goodness for Sam's Club mega 45 double roll packs of Northern TP.  2-Ply.

I have specific instructions from mama to buy ONLY MEGA rolls of TP for her. I guess when you get old, mega rolls don't take too much time to refill the holder. Time is of the essence in her 90's. :happy0203:

I worked the June Dairy Breakfast in Wisconsin this morning. They must have made close to a million pancakes for the crowd. They came in by the bus loads.  :imoksmiley: I volunteered at the beekeeping tent. It was lots of fun showing the little kids the observation hive. It's only two frames of bees inside of plexiglass (with lots of ventilation). We had the kids practicing the art of finding the queen. I found many of the kids are well schooled in honeybees. They seemed to know more than their parents. We passed out coloring books for any of the kids who wanted them.

Many of the folks said they don't like bees, they're allergic to them. I said I was too so I only keep 120,000 to 180,000 of them at one time. Love the reactions.  :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Yeah, when you are in your 90's you've got more important things to do than fiddling around with TP rolls. Sheeesh. :D

Many years ago I had a reason to go in our landlords house. I can't remember why now. Probably to pay the rent. Anyway, on their kitchen counter/bar they had a huge plexiglass bee hive set up. It had a plastic hose going to the outside of the house. It was the neatest thing I've ever seen. I still remember it some 30 years later.

He and his son were both eagle scouts so I'm sure they did a lot of fascinating things.  The dad was a carpenter and could fix anything. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Yeah, when you are in your 90's you've got more important things to do than fiddling around with TP rolls. Sheeesh. :D

Ack! Now wait! I’m not 90 yet!

:008Laughing:

• Haha 3

Well I'm not 90 either but I do have fumble-fingers.  I hate when the spring and two parts of the TP holder thing all zoom off in separate directions and the roll that was supposed to be installed is traveling across the floor like a NASCAR racer.  :wacko:     I agree with Homesteader's mama!!  Less time spent with that hooha, the better! 

I've had a more productive week.  I got to ride that brat horse [which I actually had ready to post here and hit wrong button and ....  ]  :gaah:   Anyway, we shut driveway gate and let both horses into the driveway turn-around area.  Not exactly a Round Pen, but as close as we'll get.  Old nag trimmed grass while Brat had to work.... for a whole 27 minutes.  He had some reluctance but it was not that dangerous tension that he'd been doing in the pasture.  I got a good ride without DH having to lead the monster.  In days past, I'd have just rode and dealt with whatever he dished out.  These days, I have to use caution.  [even if I'm not 90]  But DH used that area to work him in the years he was riding Brat.  So he's used to working there and settled much better.  Whew.....cuz boy did I feel light and easy when I got off and walked.  :hapydancsmil:  Just when I think it would make more sense to get rid of the horses, I ride and remember WHY I have these critters. 

Got to go to lunch with a long time friend.  We now live an hour and half away from each other.  So we email and talk on phone but rarely get to go eat and chat.  Was great and new owners of the local diner have air-conditioning!   :thumbs:   So much safer for me....and more pleasant too.  Since that day was very nice and warm and sunny.  SUMMER!  B)  

Today.....  :frozen:   ......  WINTER.  Not quite snow but it was 38* this morning with FOG and CHILL and .....we actually started the pellet stove and made oatmeal for breakfast.  Sheeeeeh! 

I've been feeling better and better ---- FINALLY.  Still have low stamina but that will strengthen slowly.  I've been trying to walk each evening.  That will really help.  :amen: 

MtRider   :pc_coffee:

• Like 2
On 6/7/2019 at 7:35 PM, Jeepers said:

I should have thought about this when we were having all of that rain and stuck inside. It's kind of a boring job that requires constant attention so I don't get the pages mixed up...again.

Jeepers- 

If they are Word documents you can open the "Inert" tab and add a header/footer that will number the pages for you. Very easy to do and will definitely help you to keep those pages in order. You can also add a short description/title so you can keep all of the documents together w/o having to worry about which "page 1 of 3" (for example) goes with which document. :D887719905_word1.JPG.15bd9c05de904f6e31384609adac43ff.JPG1765476710_word2.JPG.992d0c4c6130d1f135c2493d049f9111.JPG2042600304_word3.JPG.41b16380326fc401dbf6024604d0d969.JPG

• Thanks 2

Crimony girl, I wish I had known about that sooner. It would have made my life easier.the pages would have looked better too. I'm almost finished now. Only a little less than 100 to go. 

Thank you for the hint for the next project I manufacture for myself. 

• Like 1

I haven't done this in eons, and seed tape is too expensive these days. I was listening to Tony Evans on the radio and decided to transfer my parsnip seeds to a wet paper towel. I find presoaked, small seeds, too difficult to distribute evenly in a trench. I think it will work well if the seeds sprout.  :happy0203:

P1040299.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning,

We spent last week cleaning house, taking the area rugs out & washing them. One had to be discarded, it was over 20 years old, between the ferrets and pups, it was too damaged to salvage. DH re-organized his office, after we removed the rug and scrubbed the floor. To my surprise, I found a small area, in the cracks of the tile, that still smelled like the skunk Grrr ate.  :yuk:

The garden is doing well.  The few radishes left in the garden are flowering, hopefully I’ll get some replacement seeds for next year.  

Our area has been averaging above 100*F. It is definitely summer now.  We are watering the yard daily to keep it looking nice. 

Mt_Rider, you made me laugh with your TP story. I don’t know how many times that has happened to me.  The worst timing for that to happen, is in the middle of the night when it’s so quiet you could hear a pin drop.  

I really like that idea with the seeds, Homesteader. I’ll try it in the fall for the winter garden. It still baffles me, out of 50 corn seeds, soaked and planted, only 4 grew.  :shakinghead:

It is time for me to get motivated before it gets any hotter outside. Lows are in the mid to high 70’s, as soon as the sun crests the distant mountains, 80’s and before noon, it’s pushing 100 already. 

• Like 2

Took last week off from websites for 5 days of Vacation Bible School. I worked in kitchen making koolaid, cupcakes, brownies and rice krispie treats. And washing dishes and cleaning, of course. Along with animal chores, cooking at home and keeping up with garden and exercising, I was pooped!

I have mostly caught up here, already done vitamins for the month, washed dogs, and did my exercise video. Skipped Church yesterday morning but went in the evening.

Went to a couple of stores earlier and three nursing homes visiting with friends. Walked early and did animal chores. Came home tired. Not sure what else I will do.. maybe weed in garden later when it cools off a little.

• Like 4