MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Been a busy week around here.  So many things to get taken care of.  I sorted and vacuum sealed winter clothes and unsealed my summer ones.  Still need to do some serious de-cluttering of shoes.  Right now they're in a pile waiting for "the verdict"...which for many of them is the trash bin.  I don't give away shoes...because I don't buy used unless they're really nearly new shoes. I don't think it's a safe practice...and I never buy used undies no matter how cheap.  Went through the travel trailer for two days, de-cluttering it.  Some of the things (cookware mostly) I seldom use, so I asked hubby to carry the boxes (3) upstairs at the homestead and I'll get them when and if I know we'll want them when camping.  Did some laundry today and got it hung to dry.  Hubby got the a/c put in the window several days ago so we're really enjoying sleeping in the cool.  It was getting so hot and humid one just couldn't get comfy enough to really rest. and it was a constant battle using our battery operated fly swatter and sticky sticks to keep flies "done in".  And the neighbors across the street here decided to fued with each other and the language was so bad we had to close the door regardless of the heat. 

Still having issues with the single mom across the street at the homestead.  Her two teen boys have decided it's fun to park on their side of the street but directly in front of our driveway...which makes it very hard for us to back out with either of our vehicles.  One of us has to stand behind and make sure we don't back into one of their cars (or their friends) or into the ditch.  So...we contact the city traffic advisory board (maybe I'm repeating myself?) and have asked them to make it a "no parking street" for our block. We're on for this coming Wednesday, so pray for us "to have favor"?  Thanks! 

Also still haven't received our homestead refund yet, and little bro hasn't mailed my semi-annual inheritance check.  Gripe...gripe...gripe?  Have to do a lot of repenting this month.

A close prayer friend is going through some serious issues herself, so I've been spending some prayer time with her...which I'm getting ready to call her shortly.

Sorry about Grrr...I just know how your whole family must miss him.  These fur-babies snuggle their way into our hearts and their memories stay there forever. 

Mr. Slugger is still in his misery.  She comes only long enough to let him out, feed him and water him and off she goes.  Sadly, even if we could take him, she's ruined him as far as manners.  From puppy-hood on he's been a digger and she refused to put anything substantial around the bottom of the fence to stop him.  She never taught him any leash training and without social skills (usually learned from dog parks or professional trainer) he hasn't learned to get a long with other larger male dogs.  He's never had any real vet care other than telling us "he doesn't have worms...I've checked his p... and there's none in it".  Said she couldn't afford ear treatment meds so we gave her some when his ears were so bad.  He probably is infesting with ??? and I fully expect to see mange start soon with all this heat and humidity.  I'd "make the call" but I know he'd probably end up being put down.  He would be a lot of responsibility for anybody to take on.  Medically and socially.  So sad. 

Later my friends...we safe and dry.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your condolences. 

We scheduled “company” for Gunny yesterday, he seemed to have a good time. His ‘buddy’ played ball, played with his ropes and ran circles around the yard. Grrr never touched toys, a ball, maybe 10 times, his whole life with us.  

It is extremely windy today. I am hoping it doesn’t affect the wildfires too much. The closest one is less than 30 miles away. All of the fires burning here were man made. And, they had to quit fighting one of the fires, because of a drone was being flown around it.  Frustrating..... :banghead:

We were planning a day at the lake for Gunny, but with the wind and fires, we cancelled it.

Safe & “dry”.  We could use some of your rain, just no flooding. :bouquet:

• Like 3

Can't they just shoot the drones down....if they are illegally disrupting operations? ESPECIALLY wildfire fighting?  Don't they have small EMP type devices....?  There was airport disruptions due to drones and other incidents of this type.  :( 

Hearing about your record breaking heat wave in the far SW.  :knary:   Be very careful.  :hug3:   Do you have alternate plans if the power goes out?  That's my biggest fear.  We're not hot yet tho nice and warm/sunny.  We have rain scheduled for at least parts of the next 6 days.  We've been over-watered too.....which grows a lot of plant life and is fine unless the rains stop.  Horses and goat are really fat and happy.  We'll see what July/Aug brings.  :unsure:  

I'm having a "flattened" day so far.  Earlier, I was fine.  But later I got out to the kitchen...not far in this small house.  My legs began to buckle...muscles just not getting right signal to hold the joints.  Left the water bottles I was going to fill and DH helped me get back to the bed [chaise lounge in daytime].  Whew!  Wasn't expecting THAT!  <_<    In an hour or two, that might change.......or not.   :shrug:   Wait it out.  These past few days I've been feeling a lot more normal finally tho.  So this is a temporary blip on the screen. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 1

13,000 acres now.  They didn’t want to use water or slurry on it, because of the “pristine” landscape.  Really?!?  Now, they have had to close down Saguarro & Canyon Lakes. Someone should get in trouble for letting it burn. They say it’s headed for Tortilla Flats, a popular, historical visitor center.  

Messed up.

• Sad 6

Alternate plans for no electric... insulation on the windows, fill the bath tub to wet towels, and turn on the misting system. As DH said, like they did in the old days.  

Finished making seat seat covers for DH. He seems pleased with them. 

• Like 3

:gaah:     :runcirclsmiley2:      :gaah:  

Wildfire management is so erratic.  They made major errors on our big one so long ago.  But that was in the early days of CO huge fires.  I'm sure they have learned a great deal in this era of mega wildfires.  Yet.....things still burn.  Some of it is the Let It Burn Naturally theory.  There is some reason to that but......  there is very little that isn't IN USE these days.

Is it coming in your direction, Annarchy?  You're too close ...in case of wind shift.  Hopefully not a lot of "fuel" between you and that monster!   :(  :hug3:  

Losing electric:  fill your freezer(s) now TO THE BRIM with Ziplock bags [or other containers] of water turned to ice.  As in our Compressed Populations story.  It's cooling and a water source.  Mylar sheets also make it harder for curtains to catch fire inside.  Spray window with water and stick sheets in place.  Insulation inside of that.  Check for anything burnable to lead the fire to your place. 

I always advise folks...buy some ice cream.  This is your test.  If you have to leave  :pray:  when you return, the ice cream will tell you if the freezer has been warmed up and then frozen again when they turn the electric back on.  Because ice cream always looks different if it has thawed.  And if so --- the other contents of the freezer have to be thrown out.  Insurance does usually cover that loss, btw.  I hope I stated that ice-cream test clearly.  :scratchhead: 

Don't leave propane tanks near house.  :(   Or other things that go bang.  :o   Have a list of EVAC stuff that NEEDS to go.  Order it from MUST HAVE...collect in the first 3-5 minutes you might have.  Then the next priority for the next 15-30 minutes of packing if you have that.  Then next...

Do you have crate for you 'ladies'?  Humane Societies usually will board animals ...even poultry in our case, for free for fire EVAC. 

It's easier to avoid :runcirclsmiley2:  if you have a list already.  Ask me how I know?  I STILL did     :runcirclsmiley2:      the first time....WITH A DETAILED LIST!   Don't forget charger cords and things in secret places.   

Sheeeeeesh, I hope no one has to ever use any of these tips.  :sigh: 

:pray:  :pray:  for that fire to be contained...for the fire folks and all who support them, and especially for those who make the decisions!!!

MtRider  :(  

• Like 6

It isn’t coming our way, thank God!  I took that first picture from the edge of our town. There is a lot of flat desert between us, but still, there is a lot of under brush tinder. 

Here’s the latest screenshot, where you can see the area effected, almost...the orange highlights 

4909C122-D846-4DB9-B250-E35B01DDFC70.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes, Mt_Rider, we have our evac plans in place. AZ has always been a tinder box, so we have been prepared for that event, for over 30 years.  A couple times a year, we review our procedures, to be on the safe side. 

Years ago, before they replaced our power lines, we had frequent power outages.  If it rained, the power would go out, if the wind blew, the power would go out, if it was a beautiful sunny day, the power would go out, lol.  Not a laughing matter during the heat of the summer. BTDT, and we are very very grateful it doesn’t happen very often anymore. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I always advise folks...buy some ice cream.  This is your test.  If you have to leave  :pray:  when you return, the ice cream will tell you if the freezer has been warmed up and then frozen again when they turn the electric back on.  Because ice cream always looks different if it has thawed.  And if so --- the other contents of the freezer have to be thrown out.  Insurance does usually cover that loss, btw.  I hope I stated that ice-cream test clearly.  :scratchhead: 

We freeze a half-full water bottle that's sitting straight up, then turn it on it's side.  If the water is still in the same half, no problem.  If the water is now on the half that's laying down, problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Exactly, TheCG!  Same test.  And if the power has been off, but has been back on for everything to freeze solid again, you have to have a test item or....throw out everything....or...risk nasty bad stuff.  :shrug:

5 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Years ago, before they replaced our power lines, we had frequent power outages.  If it rained, the power would go out, if the wind blew, the power would go out, if it was a beautiful sunny day, the power would go out, lol.  Not a laughing matter during the heat of the summer. BTDT, and we are very very grateful it doesn’t happen very often anymore. 

Glad it headed away from you!!  We've had that frequent power outage situation in both Maui and here.  Like you, the situation has now improved.  :)

We're in a downpour thunderstorm right now.  Lot of small hail.  Normally I'd be out trying to keep my small diversions ditches from being overrun.  But last fall J & B did some big excavation work and those larger diversion ditches are doing a right fine job.  I keep peering out the windows to check but so far...all is well.  Last year, we nearly had flooding up and into the back door - from rushing down the very steep hill behind us.  Today is the first test of the big ditch.  :amen: 

And hey....so far we still have electric too.  :happy0203: 

MtRider  ......looks like snow out there with all the [thankfully small] hail.

• Like 3

Stay safe Annarchy. Thanks for the update. That's a big one.

RAIN! We have had nothing but rain. I can't believe how much we have gotten this spring. And it's still coming down. And more forecast to come this way. Poor farmers. Not to mention food prices.

I went to Wal-Mart for some more ink. They finally got my kind in. It really set me back on getting my quilt patterns printed out. It never occurred to me to order online. <_<  Hopefully I'll get them done and put away this weekend. There's always a set-back it seems. I found a 4 in. binder that should hold them all at Office Max.

WM was packed and I was second guessing myself going there on a Saturday evening. I only had a few things and the couple in front of me had a cart full. They let me go in front of them. :wub:   Kinda restored my faith in humanity.

Bing cherries are in season and I got a bag full. Once a year I splurge on them. Sometimes even twice a year.  :pout:

• Like 4

Beautiful day yesterday, looks like today will be pretty nice too.  For the next couple of weeks, we will be going out to do summer pruning.  Did maybe twenty baby trees yesterday.  The work is going faster than anticipated with someone else holding the loppers.  It's pretty easy to pick a spot and say "cut here."  And with these trees, it's not too hard to choose the cutting point.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Bing cherries are in season and I got a bag full. Once a year I splurge on them. Sometimes even twice a year.  :pout:

Cherries!

And I regularly let people go in front of me if I've got a cartload and they've only got one or 2 things.  Especially if they're obviously on break during the holidays.

• Like 4

34,351 acres and 0% contained. They are now doing helicopter water drops, to slow the fire down, protect structures and power lines. I read an article this morning, that said, they don’t except it to be contained until July!

Cleaned house yesterday, then, Gunny had company.  Jackz got a little testy, typical dogs trying to see who’s boss. They’ll figure it out.  :buttercup:

The temperature has been 110*+ most of last week.  I noticed the soil pulling away from the cement, even though we water every day. :puzzledsmile:

• Sad 3

37,365 acres burning. They now predict it wouldn’t be contained until the end of July. And have stopped the water drops, saying they need crews on the ground to continue the water drops...  I don’t understand that at all.

• Sad 4

I don't think it rained today. I might have missed it though. It's going to take a month to dry out. Wish I could send some of it to Annarchy's area.

Southern Indiana had some stormy weather this weekend. My hometown (Rushville) got a tornado touchdown on Saturday. Mostly trees and buildings were damaged. Thank God no injuries were reported. :pray:  I guess a suburb of Indianapolis (Beech Grove) got it pretty bad though. Also some nasty weather around Bloomington.  Tis the season.

• Sad 4

Summer is on us now.  Our garden, planted in spring has become a battle ground...bugs...cutworms....borers...aphids....blossom end rot....potato blight...we are fighting each in turn, and dealing with the spring plantings that have bolted or have burned up.  After the spring rains the lake levels are very high, though we just finished 2 weeks of 90 pus weather without rain.  Now we are returning to "normal"....90 degrees and high humidity, and near-daily showers.  Spinach, mustard greens are kaput (pulled them) and also pulled the zucchini (vine borers) but not before we froze 6 packages of grated zucchini for zucchini bread (which is why we grow it in the first place).  The lettuce is starting to bolt; I have switched from using it for salads. to sauteeing it in the French way as greens - the slight bitterness it has developed actually makes the cooked greens more interesting!  We FINALLY got our sweet potatoes in.  Where we gave pulled up our spent/bolted early spring plantings, we are putting in more cabbage, beets & carrots.  The beans are slowly succumbing to the high heat, but the Oriental Yard Long beans are starting to bloom...IF I can control the aphid infestation they have developed (citrus-soap spray to smother) I am looking forward to trying them - they are quite robust aside from the aphids.  The melons, winter squash, tomatoes, peppers, okra and sweet potatoes are thriving - and right now I am indunated with Italian sweet frying peppers - I think I will make pickled peppers, so delicious in salads & sandwiches!  I tried air-drying ;some hot ones on a string - no dice, too humid here.  Next batch I get I will use the dehydrator instead.  Meanwhile, my fire-eating friends will have to make do with the ones I pickled...I made what is euphamistically called "Peppa Sauce" in these parts.  Basically it is hot peppers pickled in white vinegar, then let age a bit.  the vinegar is used on greens as a condiment, and replenished with fresh vinegar when it gets low.  Unless, of course the peppers get eaten.  These were Scotch Bonnet peppers so they should make refillable "peppa sauce" for quite a few refills before they weaken.

We are logging again - had a large oak taken down by a pro that was threatening to fall over on the house with the heavy spring storms.  Our crafting friends gave us an Alaskan saw mill for Christmas (I always wanted one of those things!)  to cut slabs with, so when they  come over to help us set it up we will try cutting some of those 6-foot lengths of oak that we have been saving for just that purpose.  Hopefully it will make some attractive slabs for their crafting.  The branches will make lovely firewood!  

Last week the eye doctor gave me eye drops to lower the pressure in my eyes - he didn't actually call it glaucoma, but looks like I have yet another glitch in the bod.  Dang!  When I called my dad for fathers' day, I told him "You warned me that getting old was not for sissies, but you forgot to mention that everything would be falling apart!"  He is nearly 90 yrs old - and went out dancing for Fathers' Day, bless him.  He plays a mean harmonica in a small band.  I come from a musical family.  

• Like 5

Yesterday I visited my folks.  Gave my dad a card and a lot of chocolate bars.  Didn't stay but a couple of hours.  Just never know when his mood will switch.  It's so wearing on my nerves....dunno how my mom is still tolerating.  Hopefully we can resume taking her out once a week.  He's invited but won't come.  :shrug:  She NEEDS the break.  Some days he's mellow but forgetful.  Some days....  It's sad to lose them before they're gone.  :(

We're continuing with some rain daily.  That one storm was a dooozy tho.  Still trying to fix the crevasses in the driveway.  Can't get van to start ....for pulling the 'I beam' drag.  BUT no fires in this weather.  :amen:

I think my goat is going to be passing soon.  She's been getting lost.  DH thot she had gone into the pen for the night but we had to search for her after dark.  She was in the corner of the horse shed.  Took her back up the hill in the back of the car.  Put her to bed.  :sigh:   I like my lil' goats but that era is passing too. 

MtRider  .....my mouth waters just reading about Kappy/C.Mary's gardens!  :lois: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

The fire has now surpassed 40,000 acres. :sigh:  I have taken photos, of much of the areas, before this fire, that have already been burnt. Most everyone we talk with, are suggesting, “TPTB want it to burn....”.  Here’s a picture I took yesterday from the edge of our town.  (The same place I took the other photo, you can see how wide it has gotten.)

My suitcase is packed for my trip to TX today. 

3AB2FDAA-860A-4EAE-95AB-06EB0758D8A5.jpeg

• Sad 3

Safe travels Annarchy. Are there many people living where the fire is or is it mostly desert? 

I'm sorry to read about your dad Mt. Rider. That has to be so hard for everyone concerned. :hug3:

One full day of no rain here today. I remember another very wet spring we had a few years ago. A big storm blew in with high winds and uprooted a lot of the trees that had their roots standing in water. Hope history doesn't repeat itself. The tornado Saturday in my hometown did more damage than they first let on. Lots of homes damaged and trees down.

• Thanks 1

Buried the goat today.  :(   She was born here to my dear milking goat.  Saw her whole life here....free ranged a lot.  Went with DH and dog on the walks.  We'll miss her.  But knew these last months that she'd be passing.  As the animals pass, we are not replacing.  2 horses. 5 ducks. 1 dog.  ....reminds me, I need to ride again soon.  Mebbe tomorrow with clear skies in the forecast. 

DH is still trying to get OLD van to start....to pull the drag and smooth the Big Rain Storm ruts in driveway.  Discovered that rodents chewed up half of the distributor wires.  :darthduck:    :motz_6:   But the local auto place has replacements.  Fortunately the auto book came with the van and he can look up which wires go where.  

I've done 2 loads of clothes on this sunny, dry day.  :clothesline:   We hang a lot of things outdoors, or indoors if we have to.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:   

• Sad 4
3 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

iscovered that rodents chewed up half of the distributor wires

Many full time RV'ers say that they leave the hoods up on their vehicles to keep rodents from making a home under the hood.  They also put a "solar" light under the hood...perhaps using one of those that one can buy for their walkways would work...switch them out on a regular basis so they are always charged and can light up under the hood?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Busy beavers around here.  Hubby's still working on the bathroom...found one upper ceiling wall had no insulation...so he's going to blow some in.  That's the only way he can get to it.  Also been keeping us busy mowing yards.  With all the rain we can't always get in to the yards (3 of them) to get the mowing done and then it's so dense it takes a long time to get it done.  Got my first blackberry today from the homestead!  Yummy!  This is a bush we pulled 2 years ago and re-planted in the area we wanted to transplant all our berry bushes.  It's loaded.  Hubby put some pvc hoops over the piping it's tied up to and then put very fine bird netting over the whole plant.  Can't spray with Neem oil (we use the organic) because the rain would keep washing it away (and it's pretty expensive), so we're hoping the japanese beetles won't come until we can spray the ground underneath the bushes as well as on the netting etc.  

My friend is closing up her store...gradually.  She lives upstairs and just can't afford the utilities any more.  She has her mom's house (she bought) and we'll help her move into the basement until she can get the main house finished (remodeled).  Once she's moved she'll gradually sell everything in the store and then the building. She'll have to rent a U-haul trailer so we can help her move.  She has nobody with a truck...that she feels she can trust.  She's truly going through some emotional, spiritual and financial battles.  BUT...she'll get through all of it!  Our Lord is faithful to do exceedingly good for us!

• Like 3