MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Thanks, made it safely to TX. Traffic was light, all things considered. Boy, does NM need to fix I-10!!!  The pot holes are so bad, the big trucks drive in the left lane!

Mom likes her ‘remodeled’ job, and the new AC is a lot more powerful than the old  one. 

Summer break for the CoC, so, no meetings for the next 2 or 3 months. :thumbs:

Mom has my ToDo list waiting for tomorrow. Dry spot the sprinklers are missing, patch a tear in her security door screen, and other little things. 

I brought enough small packages of ‘meals’ for her, except she wants more red chili enchiladas and pizza next month. Hopefully, I’ll convince her to let me, either come a week early or later than usual, because DH has asked me to stay home this year on my birthday. I’m hoping she will be OK with that. I’d rather not have to travel that week, just take it easy and relax, for a change, it’s been over 10 years since I’ve had that luxury. No biggie if she balks at it, but DH would be very disappointed.

The Woodbury fire is now 44,500 acres. Their plan....

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6382/

Active, Uphill Runs, Running Flanking

Fire remains active primarily in the higher terrain occupied by continuous shrubs and Pinyon Pine - Juniper mix. Triple digit temps and single digit RHs continue to produce additional acreage where heat sources are present. Continuous brush fields at higher elevations contributing to active fire spread and higher fire intensity. Spread is primarily to the NE in higher terrain above 4500' with areas of high intensity fire behavior. Sonoran Desert fuels on the SW lowland slopes are checked-up without spread.

Use direct and indirect attack operations to minimize impact to values at risk including: major infrastructure, transportation corridors, private residences, public property, recreation areas, riparian waterways, threatened and endangered species (Mexican Spotted Owl) and Sonoran Desert ecosystem. Assessments are currently being done around private property, infrastructures, the Pinto Valley and Carlotta mines, and mine infrastructures. Strategy and Operations Meetings are being conducted on Wednesday, 6/19/2019 in Miami, AZ for the following mines: Pinto Valley Mine Carlotta Mine Freeport-McMoRan Mine BHP Mine Point protection is being implemented in the area northeast of the fire. Air tankers are being used to pre-treat Sawtooth Ridge with retardant to lessen the effects of the approaching fire front from impacting the mines and mine infrastructure. Prep work is being done around the Pinto Valley mine, mine infrastructures and powerlines for the mine.

12 hours:

Fire progression continues to the NE in brush fuels above 4500' that will provide additional acres during the burn period. SW transport wind is providing filtered smoke in the Roosevelt Lake area. Lower elevation grass and shrub fuels remain "checked up". Active fire behavior on eastern upper slopes; with short head runs, backing, and slope reversal fire spread. 

24 hours:

Strong SW ridge winds expected to develop on Thursday with threat of increased fire activity. Potential high ROS in grass/shrub fuels will increase with topography and wind alignment where heat is present. During the day fire spread is expected to continue to the NE at higher elevations in continuous heavy shrub fuels (with Pinyon PineJuniper mix) with areas of high intensity fire behavior on steeper slopes. Wind-slope alignment issues are likely with stronger winds. Variable smoke production depending on fire activity.

48 hours:

Continued hot/dry conditions with strong W-SW winds that may provide similar burning conditions that have been observed in previous days. Heavy shrub fuels at higher elevations (NE side of fire) will produce areas of high intensity fire activity and increased acres; while lighter fuels on the south and west side of the fire continue to show diminished heat due to suppression action - most areas are now "checked-up". 

72 hours:

Threat of strong ridge winds continues through the period. Combination of low RH and increasing winds will maintain conditions favorable for fire growth. Continuous shrub fuels on upper slopes will continue to burn and retain heat. Portions of the fire will encounter fuel type change from Pinyon Pine and Juniper to lighter grass/shrub models as activity spreads to the north and east. 

Anticipated after 72 hours:

Diminishing threat of strong winds, but continuing hot and dry conditions will persist into the foreseeable future. Conditions that support active fire behavior with daily acreage increases will be present until the weather changes.

It’s out of control, and, from what I’m reading, the are trying to do risk management now.  

• Sad 2

With burnable fuel....HOT DRY conditions.....add wind....  Sheeesh, people!  Ya gotta throw everything ya got at it right away.  Days later and you do not catch up!  We've been doing these mega fires for nearly 20 yrs now.  Federal Incident Commanders don't show up for about 3-4 days....cuz it's a local event until it's a certain level of BAD.  By then, well it's BAD and they're playing catch-up.  :gaah: 

Glad to hear MIL is doing well and enjoying some benefits from that traumatic event.  How's A doing?

MtRider  :offtobed:

• Like 1

The county passed out booklets of storm information.  Phone numbers, aps, how to build a bucket, how to decide if you need a certain kind of shelter.  You'd almost think there's something to be concerned about.

• Like 2

:scratchhead:    Sheeesh, Ambergris.  I had to check to see if we were in Compressed Populations or IRL.  :rolleyes:  And what was "how to build a bucket"? 

Well my main accomplishments recently include:  using car to see how far a quarter and half mile would be on our road.  The past two evenings, dog and I have walked a quarter mile one way and quarter back.  Tonite I timed it.....and if I didn't mess up my NUMBERS again, I think it took me 20 minutes.  I wasn't trying to walk briskly.  Dog likes to stop and sniff but we moved along pretty steady.  Dog on leash provided a bit of propulsion and ski pole on other side to keep me steady. 

When I think of where I was after the hospital..... :imoksmiley: .....I'm quite pleased!  But I miss any day when walking much just isn't possible.  :shrug:  That's part of MS.  Just so I can keep building the muscles/stamina on the days when I can.  :) 

Other accomplishment is while working on Compressed Pop. -MtRider's Location, I'm getting my IRL binder filled out --- FINALLLY!   Since a move to Maui.....{not New Maui}  ...is in our future, I think...it will help me know where my prepping stuff is located.  And so I don't forget I even HAVE some of this stuff.  And if I'm going to keep it and pack it...IRL. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3

50,500 acres and counting. 

Got the screen repair kit, another sprinkler & connections for Mom. Stopped and got my glasses prescription filled, cost too much, but it was necessary. Came home & rested. A lot of walking and today wasn’t a good day to walk. 

• Like 2

Funny you should mention that Ambergris. I was stuck in the rabbit hole called Youtube tonight and I saw a docu-video about Swedish preppers. Their government encourages it and sent a booklet to every household on how to go about it. It's even taught in the schools. They are afraid of the Russians. 

At least they are realistic enough to know their government can't swoop in and save them.

Edited by Jeepers
Kindle Again
  • Like 5

Leon County encourages citizens to put disaster supplies in a waterproof and durable five-gallon bucket. Keep these essential items in a bucket near an exit door in your home or in your vehicle.

Batteries

Battery powered AM/FM radio

Blanket

Can opener

Cash

Change of clothing

Duct tape

Dust mask

First aid kit

Flashlight

Games and toys

Gloves

Hand sanitizer

Keys (home and car)

Large plastic trash bags

Local map

Medications

Non-perishable food

Permanent marker

Pet supplies

Photos of family members and pets

Pocket knife

Portable phone charger

Ponchos

Rope/paracord

Soap

Special family needs (diapers, feminine hygiene items, etc.)

Tarp

Toilet paper

Toothbrush

Towel

Water

Waterproof bag with family documents, including driver’s license, insurance information, out-of-area contact

Whistle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mt_Rider, Mom says, A is now in an insurance paid apartment, still waiting for the replacement lawyer (because his lawyer died at 45 yo), to catch up on all the documents and motivate the insurance company to rebuild his house.  He comes over & visits mom, about once a week. 

Smart idea to inform people to prep.  I wish more people would take it to heart and do it.  

I had to chuckle to myself, as much as Mom says she does not want technology, I handed her my iPad, to watch a funny puppy video, and she kept watching, the next video, and the next video and, on & on.  :grinning-smiley-044:  

Well, it is time to get working on my ToDo list. Plus, there are a lot of weeds that need to be pulled.  :lois:

• Like 3

Well, good to hear A is taken care of....at the moment.  Hope they get to rebuilding fast.  Did they find fault in the battery or whatever caused the explosion?  :pray:

Ambergris.....oh THAT bucket.  I had two of those out on the porch when we lived on Maui.  Run-UP-Hill-Fast in case of tsunami buckets.  At-Least-We-Saved-Something buckets in case of hurricane.  Didn't have all that I would stuff into them now.  But had some basics.  Spam... :rolleyes:  

Sounds like a documentary I'd like to watch, Jeepers.  Sweden is awfully close to Russia. 

13 hours ago, Jeepers said:

At least they are realistic enough to know their government can't swoop in and save them.

They still remember the wars.  Whereas US haven't had one for a long while on our own lands.  Rather we'd never have again...... :behindsofa:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 2

I'm so sorry about your goat, Mt. Rider!  I'm thinking it had a good life, though!

That fire in AZ sounds huge and I hate that someone may want that area to burn.  That is so wrong, Annarchy!

Had Jury duty on Tuesday, I was dismissed to take DH to doc appt. since he can't hear what they say to him. So that ended that. Went out to lunch to Golden Corral for big salad and baked fish. Very good! Wednesday, I made homemade teriyaki sauce. Replaced the white sugar with stevia and used low sodium soy sauce. Should be a little better and I don't use a lot at a time when a recipe calls for it. Yesterday, I made Yellow Squash bread and butter pickles with bell peppers, onions and jalapenos in them. Canned, not refrigerated, as I don't have the room. Today, doing eBay photos and weeding in the garden.

I'm sleeping so much better and longer now that DH takes care of the goats in the morning and I don't have to get up that early!

• Like 4

Thanks for typing that out Ambergris. I think when I get moved I'm going to make up a couple of buckets. One for me to store beside the Jeep in case I have to go RIGHT NOW. And one for son. They won't 'get it' but that's okay. 

Annarchy, I understand about those videos. I get sucked in every time. I keep going from one prepper, gardening, homesteading and canning video to another. And the homeschooling ones even though I don't (or plan to) homeschool anyone.  :24:

How do you know how much stevia to use, Miki? Just by trial and error? I'd like to try to replace my sugar in my sweet tea. At least some of it. I love my sweet tea and I like it sweet. Like McDonald's sweet. I use caffeine free tea bags so if I can get the sugar down maybe I won't feel so guilty drinking so much of the stuff. 

Oh my, that fire! :(

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

How do you know how much stevia to use, Miki?

Baking stevia measures cup for cup for recipes.  I replaced the white sugar which was most of 3/4 of sweetener and added the brown sugar (which I know is just white sugar and molasses) but only 1/4 cup or so.  Here is the recipe--remember low sodium soy sauce also

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/558727897520339821/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Picked a LOT of stuff for our lit' garden.  Got lot of mini-waltham squash.  I'd have left them in a while longer, but M says "they are beige, time to pick them!  Now pidking broccoli, beets, onions, waltham squash, potatoes (got some blight, next time have to plant RESISTANT kinds), okra is starting, yellow snap beans are still producing, peppers- yellow sweet fryers and green bells are going to produce very well again.  Tomatoes are starting up - cherries first, then the slicers started.  Here is yesterdays' take - well part of it, volume is greater.  

time for another round of freezing & pepper-pickling!  Today the central air conditioning went wonky - kept quitting when it cooled things down to a mere 89 degrees (@#&%!!!)

Our friends down the road loaned us 2 window air conditioners so we can make do until getting a repairman in...its still under warranty.  But it got pretty hot in here (98 degrees) before we could get them set up and operating.  I was keeping ice chunks in the water dishes for both inside AND outside critters & replacing the warm stuff with cold & iced water about every 4 hrs.  Cats were vocalizing & complaining, but found that hanging under their tent next to the bowll of ice water was about the coolest place and they stayed there till evening cooled things down  

So this morning I went out & made sure the 'tent' sides were up to let any stray breezes thru while maintaining their shady spot.  So glad we have 3 freezers,  so there is no shortage of ice!  So hot we ate fried egg sandwiches for dinner - quick & didn't heat up the kitchen much - it took so long to cool the house down after we put in the room a/c's that we didn't want to add any heat by cooking.  I never thought 84 degrees would actually feel cool, but compared to 98 degrees it was cool & refreshing.  Of course, it is humid....it IS Georgia....

The aphid fight continues for control of the Oriental yard long beans.  Put out a "ring of death" circle of DE around the entire large pot, then sprayed with aphid smothering spray again.  It looks like it might be working.  Normally I do not like to do the "ring of death" but they forced me...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  They can just go put their aphids on the wild plants, NOT on my food plants.  I defend the food to the death!

Researching beekeeping in this area.  My parents had them, I like bees as livestock.  M is finally interested in having a hive or two, which was a surprise to me since she was so adamantly opposed to them on our city lot, though we had the room.  So I am brushing up on my bee know how, been decades since I had my hands in a hive.  Hooray!  I was shocked after being awash in honey from my parent's bees to discover how expensive it is to buy, and I like to have some in my stores, since learning as a teen to cook (and can, and freeze) with it easily.  Hooray!

june 2019 produce.jpg

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5

You do realize that seeing a white five-gallon bucket in a vehicle is now an open invitation to a smash-and-grab.  It will have cash, snacks, and plenty of material for identity theft.    I'm using a different container now, and not saying what it is.

• Like 4

Hmmm, one of the downsides of them alerting the public with a good idea, Ambergris.  :(   But anyway, materials for ID theft should not be left in a vehicle.  It needs to be handled differently than ANY of the other BO stuff.  Even in the house, a separate container and location.  I put a note on the main container to REMEMBER the OTHER stuff.  Nothing identifying in that note ...which is written big enough for me to read without readers, btw.  Some things ....like ANY food in our hungry bear area....cannot stay in the vehicle.  Must be transported back and forth....just like one's purse or man-wallet. 

BRRRRR.....  Last nite we got down to the upper 30*s.  :frozen:  Sunny earlier but right now it's dark, cloudy, raining and 50*   It's snowing in the upper Rocky Mountains ....

Summer solstice isn't keeping up the reputation in my location.  :frozen:   DH and I are wondering when we'll be able to keep the furnace off....DURING THE DAY!  :o  Good thing we aren't trying for any gardens this year.  The sun is barely out in the morning hours.  HOWEVER, we're thankful for the moisture!!  :pray:   Annarchy's fire needs a loooong rain to put it out!

MtRider  ....wore gloves on walk with dog last nite.  :santa: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 1

Brrrr... MtR. 

Kappydell, have you tried 1/2 & 1/2 dish soap & water spray on your plants to combat the aphids?  It has worked well in my garden & on my roses.  

Well, the fire is now just under 80,000 acres.  They are trying to save the power lines and Roosevelt Dam which power Phoenix, using air tankers.  IMHO, a little too late. 

Got some weeding done, then, a little grocery shopping. Barbecued dinner for mom & took it easy the rest of the day...dozed off in my chair watching mom’s golf....  I don’t normally do that.

Heading home tomorrow morning.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Annarchy said:

IMHO, a little too late. 

Criminally too little too late!  :gaah:  Of course once it threatens a huge city's power.....  {where have I heard this story before?}  <_<

Watched the big storm system go thru Kansas City MO area while my friend living there was on the phone.  Her DH was on a plane...on the runway...in KC KS waiting more than hour and half for the lightning to pass over eastward.  Finally, his plane was able to take off.  Y'all eastward....be careful of the storm system tonite.  Looks like it's beginning to break up some.

My Grson16 is in Florida at a science competition.  They had a tornado!  That's quite rare in Hawaii.  All were safe.  :o 

MtRider        .....38* at 10pm  ....we have to be setting records!  :santa:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
On 6/21/2019 at 7:20 PM, snapshotmiki said:

Baking stevia measures cup for cup for recipes.  I replaced the white sugar which was most of 3/4 of sweetener and added the brown sugar (which I know is just white sugar and molasses) but only 1/4 cup or so.  Here is the recipe--remember low sodium soy sauce also

FYI - Some of those "baking mixes" are bulked with maltodextrin to make them be able to measure "cup for cup." It is better to look for a sugar substitute that has been "bulked" up with erythritol instead. Note: some sugar replacements use XYLITOL instead of erythritol. DO NOT USE these products if you HAVE A DOG!  As a matter of fact, xylitol is commonly used in chewing gums, toothpaste, peanut butter, etc, so always make sure to READ THE LABELS on any SF/No Sugar Added products that you buy!!!

347870421_56namesforsugar.jpg.29df41976f47a5e05f557d6a542c6677.jpg    793253595_sugarconversionchart.thumb.jpg.0e4df42ccfacf104e224fddaa8ba14e8.jpg

1873736281_Sweetleafconversionchart.thumb.JPG.b9f17d3aebcefbb815ebe8d383482213.JPG

1859308870_xylitol1.thumb.JPG.c5172cd44f563d87a66aa2562cfe01cc.JPG

1426586901_xylitol2.thumb.JPG.8b9492a496d14ca5dc9fed93a406fa7d.JPG

https://www.aspca.org/news/xylitol-sweetener-not-so-sweet-pets?fbclid=IwAR3U6rRMcmItp3uHceK5b2N7PK6pdNtysT4KxwMvTenwudRboEtA5nEJHWo

1086257480_xylitol3.thumb.JPG.efaec0732310317544805166b52bb5e9.JPG1086257480_xylitol3.thumb.JPG.efaec0732310317544805166b52bb5e9.JPG

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/03/24/dangers-of-xylitol-for-pet-dogs.aspx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I use flavored stevia drops in my coffee - about 15 drops for a pint-size jar of coffee.  I tend to mix flavors, as for some reason, it tastes better.  I like the SweetLeaf brand - it's $10 for a 2 ounce bottle, but they last us for several months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have an older Mr. Coffee ice tea maker. It makes about a half gallon of so. I've had it over 15 years I think. Sometimes I wonder if sugar isn't better than the artificial or refined stuff? Not in the diabetic world though. Sigh. 

I knew about the xylitol. I think I posted about it in the 'dog' thread or someplace. 

• Like 2

No xylitol for me!  Warned DH about it a couple years ago.  The sweetener does say maltodextrin (sugar) and stevia extract.  Also says zero calorie and less than one carb.  Thanks for the charts!

• Like 1

I checked our "cheap" peanut butter.... but the label was off.  We also have REAL PB...just peanuts and salt.  If we give dog the Kong bone with PB inside for her entertainment, it's the real stuff.  But I hadn't realized the cheap 'sweet' stuff might have xylitol.  <_< Knew about chewing gum, etc.

When my brain recovers from a LOT of copy/paste this morning, I'll do those charts to have them on hand. 

MtRider  Thanks Midnight!  :thumbs:  

• Like 1