MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Yesterday and today were "high energy" days...PTL!  Got my oven cleaned...finally!  Then sorted some things on the back porch so I could set a couple of boxes of pint jars off the chest freezer and over to the other side of the room.  NOW...I have room to set up my table to put my roaster (or dehydrator) on and keep the heat from the house.  Got the laundry finished yesterday.  The weather has been nice so hanging them out has let them dry pretty quickly.  Hubby got about 90% of the mowing done here yesterday and then today so he's going through clothes (head to foot) keeping himself dry.  Lot's of perspiration going on!  He's also going through a lot of gatorade type drinks and chips to keep him hydrated.  Brought a turkey home from the homestead and just finished putting it in the roaster.  I"ll be canning it up tomorrow.  Not really looking forward to it due to the house heat, but I've ignored them long enough!  One at a time...that's all I can handle with our schedules.  I need him to carry the turkey up and down the back porch/patio steps to the roaster etc.  I don't trust myself.  It's been so extremely hot and humid these past few days.  When he's working on our friends house he comes home at noon (he had today off for her to have carpets cleaned) eats lunch and changes out of sweaty clothes...so it keeps my washer and dryer busy.  I don't try to hang his work clothes out when he's changing so often.  Three changes a day just doesn't work unless I put them in the dryer.  Baked a couple loaves of bread, but used my bread machine to not heat up the house. Without central air I try to use electrical devices as much as possible so I don't heat up my kitchen any more than necessary.  

Got a notice from the county judge that I'm excused from jury duty.  I just returned the form saying I needed daily meds and was over 70 years of age.  PTL!  Still haven't received our property tax rebate...:-(  Wish they'd get on the ball, but you know the guvmnt, wheels turn slow when it's headed your way.  

The beetles go to one head of my elderberry flowers!  Sprayed them with Neem/detergent...hopefully that will stop them!  I'm not sure if they'll bother my tomato plants or not.

Was thrilled to see Mason bee's humming merrily around the two bee houses.  They're hanging right next to my pansies, begonia and empatience plants so they have plenty to enjoy...hopefully!  

They finally finished the road work in front of the homestead house...would really love to see them clean out the ditch though.  It's just not our responsibility to have to do that!  

Blessing to all of you my MrsS friends...and stay safe, cool, fed and watered!

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Miki, I think minimalism and prepping can sort of go hand in hand. Maybe keep a minimal house with one designated area for your preps and supplies.

I'd like to do that but I know it isn't going to happen. Probably just set myself up for failure.

Meh, you’ll be fine.  I agree with minimalism and prepping, except I have a hard time parting with stuff that I might need later. :rolleyes:  Case in point... we got 4 Swiss Army watches, 35 years ago, they’ve been sitting on a shelf, after the batteries died.  However, MIL’s watch band started breaking, and one of the bands worked perfect for her. 

Speaking of old stuff, I was cleaning dust, trying to organize my office and found my old windup Elgin watch. It brought back a lot of memories, before watches were made with batteries, as an industry standard. I decided to start wearing it, JIC the power goes off, I will be in the habit of making sure I wind it every day. I really like the smooth second hand on it, it makes timing my cooking easier. 

The weather here, is calm, clear skies, and warm. 100*F in the shade. The fire is beginning to get under control, only, 123,404 acres, as of yesterday. 

Today, I have my ToDo list spinning around in my mind. We have deliveries and customers coming in again.  I hope to barbecue some meat that was defrosted yesterday, then, vacuum seal it, in meal sized packages for DH’s midnight snacks. We live on strange shifts. I get up at 4-5 am and he goes to bed around 4-5am. Lol, our security system, someone’s always up. We get our quiet time and together time. :whistling:

• Like 4

I'm a big fat liar. I own it. Sigh. I went to Subway. Every time the girl would ask me something I would have to ask her to repeat it. About five different times. My hearing is shot. Well, I sort of got embarrassed after awhile and I told her I'd been swimming and my ears were stopped up with water. Then I jiggled my ear to look like I was displacing the "water".  I swear, I don't know where that came from. It didn't enter my mind. It just fell out of my mouth. It's been happening too often lately. Not the lying part. The going "Huh" part. Liar, Liar Pants On Fire.  Looser.

We finally warmed up here today. It got up to 90. Or as Annarchy would say...a little on the chilly side.  :grinning-smiley-044:

We had storms off and on all day (no swimming for me  :unsure:. I didn't think about that at Subway. Wonder what I would have lied about. My indoor pool probably). I did get most of my errands finished up between storms.  Got my meds and loaded up on some fruit and veggies and some snacks. I still need to go to the donate place and to Wal-Mart. I've been putting off going to Wal-Mart for so long I'm not even sure what I wanted. I just don't have it in me to go. I really don't feel like walking.

Hopefully, I can go through my 'media' stuff this weekend and pitch some and pack up the rest. I got all excited. I saw a free video of the Rolling Stones Hyde Park concert on my Kindle Fire. I got some watermelon all cut up and was ready to do some rocking and rolling. Heaven. About five minutes in, my battery died. The Nerve! I ate my melon and sulked a little. The Stones make me happy. Tomorrow is another day...  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hot and humid...outside and inside.  Our window a/c and furnace fan are running pretty much constantly trying to keep things tolerable...but I did get 12 pints of turkey, 2 pints of stock and had to fill the canner, so I put in 2 pints of beans.  One turkey down...about 4 more to go...that's the price for buying last year when they were on sale.  But we'll enjoy them any time we want.  I fixed a hot pot of turkey and pasta with some mixed veggies for supper.  Again, cooking with as little heat as possible especially since canning really put the heat in the kitchen.  Hubby got home and he shredded the rest of the carcass for me so we have a nice bag of turkey for sandwiches and Abby-girl has 4 nice baggies of scraps (no bones!) for her evening snickers.  lAfter a cool shower had hubby trim the back of my hair.  I cut his and he trims mine...works like a dream!  That's one thing about very long hair, you can't hardly mess it up and if you do...pony tail! LOL  

• Like 2

Jeepers.....ya kill me, girlfriend.  :008Laughing:  

DH decided to put the tiny A/C window unit into the kitchen/living room today.  Then it clouded up.  But it's harsh in the kitchen nook and he's been doing a lot of the cooking.  It's completely around the corner from the swamp cooler air flow.  :knary:    So it will be used a little but REALLY HELPS when it's needed.  If it's hot, I just stay away from that corner.  But then I don't eat anything I can't grab in 3 minutes.  :cakeslice:   :happy0203:  

Stay cool all you who are into summer full time.  We're getting into the 80's......for the HOT part of the day.  [yeah...in case some of you thot that was the low temperatures].  Not too bad for me but I'm not going to stand in the sunshine. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 2

I envy you Mt_Rider, coo/cold temps. Sigh. 

My second oldest brother, (younger bros), drives 18 wheelers, had a trip from MI to AZ, arrived at his stop, 35 miles away. I met him, with a box of books & family stuff, including his Navy, Desert Storm, military yearbook.  Brought tears to his eyes. Amen.  He’ll be surprised when he goes through the box. I had to come home because we had other customers coming in.  It’s OK, he’s a trooper and threatened to make us go to dinner, his treat, next time he comes back, lol. What he didn’t expect was the temperature was115*F, and his bull dog, deaf dog, co Rider, refused to walk on the ground.  Yup, it’s summer in AZ!  Lol.  That’s why we have shoes for Gunny. 

Got home and had several other people coming in. Sigh.  

Jeepers, enjoy the moisture.  We need it!  Also, I make store lists, so I don’t forget what I need.  Seems silly but it works. Glad you got some things done.

WE2, I know the shower thing, woof, hot, sweat, drenched clothes, need refueling, and a change. A cold shower is always refreshing.  

Sleepy time... :offtobed:

• Like 2

Ambergris, not as textured as orange peel. 

You know how when you repair a place on the drywall and spackle and sand it smooth? Then that repaired place always has more shine to it and is smoother than the rest of the wall. It's really noticeable after you paint it. 

I looked again on YouTube but all found was something called 'knock down'. That leaves the orange peel look. The guy at Lowes said all I need is good quality satin paint. I don't think so because I've done that before with bad results. Maybe some kind of primer? I have a big door knob dent that needs repaired at the Indy house right at the entrance at the front door. It's actually pretty big. 

• Like 1

Jeepers...around our neck of the woods, you can find a spray aerosol product called "upshot" (I think).  It's used mostly for ceilings but it blends in with the texture of the ceiling.  Lots of carpenters and painters use it for small touch up jobs, like when they change out a light fixture that's a different size than the old one.  ???

• Thanks 3

Another 90 degree day with lots of humidity.  I picked more blackberries then sprayed the berry bushes again to keep the japanese beetles off them.  Watered my tomato plants and flowers while hubby loaded up the truck with the tools he'll need for work tomorrow.  My little tomato plants have tomatoes.  This has been an experiment so I'm still hoping I get some! Then hubby finished mowings...so all should be good for a while.  With this heat and no rain, grass won't grow nearly as quick as it was when all the rain was going on.  I cleaned up around here and then fixed one of my hubby's most favorite things...crazy crust pizza.  I used some of my 5 year old dehydrated onion/bell pepper powder that I vacuum sealed and put in the frig, and made my own pizza sauce.  Then had a pint of dehydrated cherry tomatoes that were vacuum sealed and in my frig...3 years old and put them on the pizza.  Added sliced green bell peppers, mushrooms and re-hydrated tomatoes and some sweet red roasted peppers (from $Tree) and Oh my...we really did spoil ourselves!  For dessert it was Caramel/Pretzel frozen yogurt.  

101_1101 Blackberries 2019 June.jpg

101_1102 rehydrating cherry tomatoes.jpg

101_1103 Crazy Crust Pizza ready for toppings.jpg

101_1104 Crazy Crust Pizza ready for cheese.jpg

101_1105 Crazy Crust Pizza ready for 2nd bake.jpg

101_1107 Crazy Crust Pizza done.jpg

101_1109 Caramel Pretzel Frozen Yogurt.jpg

• Like 5

Crimony We2, I have some of that already! I used it on my white ceiling when my upstairs toilet overflowed to the downstairs ceiling. It worked great. I couldn't even tell where I sprayed it. Sigh. Thank you for reminding me buddy. I'll try that first.  :misc-smiley-231:

Edited by Jeepers
Spelling
  • Like 4

So...if you're an Amazon Prime member, they have a deal today (under their "early deals' for their big mid-month sale coming up) for 3 months FREE of Kindle Unlimited.

Yes, please!

ETA: It also pops up next to Kindle books where you would normally have the option to set up Kindle Unlimited.

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Another very warm day but not so humid.  Got a load of whites washed and hung out on the little yard line.  I just hang everything on hangers and those that need to go to the closet are already on hangers...works for me.  Used some of our shredded turkey meat and a package of my vacuum sealed mixed veggies from the freezer to make an alfredo casserole...oh yum.  No pic, just ate it!  Sort of dreading the 4th for the poor pooch next door.  I sent an email to our local animal shelter and they said "as long as it's got food, water and shelter there's nothing that can be done".  Ohsza like that! :( Reminds me of the time I captured the feral cat in our animal trap and called the shelter.  She came, she saw and said "if you caught it it's yours, we only use our own traps"...so I reach down, pulled the gate open and off went the little kitty!  She looked at me like "I can't believe that crazy lady did that!".  Oh well...;)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I went ahead and did the monthly Walmart, Dollar Tree shopping yesterday evening. So far today, I've made 2 large slow cookers of dog food, made tuna salad and cooked up a lot of bell peppers, onions, celery and garlic to add to my free jambalaya (4 quarts from Church dinner) from yesterday. And paid bills and did month ending books. So glad I don't have to go anywhere today. Just pressure can the dog food when it is done later.

Tomorrow, I will do laundry, help our room mate pack up and load his stuff and make carnitas in the slow cooker.  Sounds like enough to me.

• Like 3

So far today, I've done laundry, got the carnitas in the slow cooker, done 3 eBay drafts plus animal and regular chores. Ready to help room mate pack up truck whenever he gets himself in gear.

Today is my Birthday so I am going to rest and read for awhile now. 62 years! That's 15 years more than my mom got. Still miss her! I was 27 when she passed.

• Like 3

Best of luck with your new doctor! Hope he has some new trick to pull out of his bag. Or her bag. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SNAPSHOTMIKI  :bdaycake:

is your roomie moving out or just going on a vaca? 

I finally got my quilt patterns all printed out and in notebooks. That took a lot longer than I thought it would. Most things do these days.

I got my entertainment media all together and dusted off. I keep them in those wooden crates. They make really nice shelves stacked! Anyway, I got everything packed up in those so all I'll have to do is pick them up and carry them out. They have those crates in half width and they just fit a CD case perfectly. I make most all of my CD's by artist, from the library. Has saved me a ton of money. Plus I only have the songs I like. I love music. Except rap and head banger. Sorry not my cuppa. Oldies, doo-woop, rock, southern gospel, country, classical, blues, slow jazz even some Placido Domingo. 

I keep most of my movies in a zippered notebook. They make sleeves for the disks that hold 4 on each side. I did that with movies a long time ago. 

I got the Jeep loaded up with paper to recycle and I added some more stuff in the back to take to the Salvation Army when I get over that way. I'll bet people think I drive one of those hoarder cars when they see it in a parking lot. If they only knew. :rolleyes:

They added a 10 cent tax to our gas last week. That's a lot per gallon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He prescribed six to eight weeks of two to three physical therapy sessions per week.  I am still trying to figure out how to budget that in.  If it doesn't work, then they do the MRI to find out why.

I was hoping the fact I saw a chiro for therapeutic exercise for several weeks already would substitute for the PT the insurance requires, but the doctor says it's a lockstep.  The bean-counters call all the shots.

Of course, it didn't help that when I was showing this new doc some of my more painful PT exercises and stretches, he did face-palms and told me not to do that one any more.  It's good for a deranged bicep tendon, but bad for a rotator cuff.  Or it's good for a this, but bad for a rotator cuff.  Or it's good for that but bad for a rotator cuff.  So if I'd been able to see you back in April, when I started trying, I would not have been practicing these harmful exercises twice a day for ten or so weeks, right? (Unspoken--and maybe wouldn't have had a damaged rotator cuff?)  Face-palm again, but no comment.

Happy day, Miki!

I gave away boxes of movies when we moved here.  Now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't.  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

Today is my Birthday

:balloons:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKI :balloons: 

6 hours ago, Ambergris said:

So if I'd been able to see you back in April, when I started trying

Riiight!  :sigh:   I hope you can make progress now!!!!!!!!!  :pray:  

I'm up late cuz I can't get it cooled down inside.  Plenty cool outside and I've even got door open to screen door.  In bear country, I can't go to sleep with that open but :knary:   And I am hoping my mom and I ....with DH to assist her/us....can go to 4th small town festivities.  But....  I'd like to get decent sleep.  I always get heated up about this time of night....need to change that cycle!  :banghead: 

MtRider   :pc_coffee:    ...somehow, I've been on the computer ALL DAY  :buttercup:  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy Belated Birthday, Miki! I hope you had a great day. 

We drained, cleaned & refilled our hot tub with cold water, then, didn’t turn it on. Brrrr....something you rarely hear in AZ when it’s 105* +:008Laughing: Very refreshing. 

The garden is suffering heat stroke, hopefully, we will get some rain soon, but, wives tales say, it will rain 30 days after you hear a cicada and we haven’t heard them yet this year.

The large red ants (about the size of a big black carpenter ant with large pincher jaws), found the area I feed the birds in my yard.  I will have to follow them to their nest and Amdro them.  I’ve seen them travel a city block in trails, just to get a food supply. They give me the ebbejeebies.  

Happy Independence Day!

• Like 2