MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Can you mulch HEAVILY, Annarchy?  Keep their toes a bit cooler til they're grown. 

MtRider  :lois: 

Definitely yes, mulch and straw, also to help with water retention. 

• Like 1

The sweet potato order I put in last fall arrived today:

Beauregard, which is considered the cast-iron reliable mainstay.

Vardaman, sentimental favorite I grew up with.

Centennial, another sentimental favorite.

Carolina Ruby, for fusarium resistance.

Diane, because when they produce they are just sooo good.

Kotobuki, because it sounds so different "a nutty flavor similar to a roasted chestnut that is great for baking, stews, salads, and tempura."

Purple Passion, because.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just going to leave them in the box with the paper grocery bags over them and their little "heads" peeping out...weather is to be nice this week and maybe the soil will be dry enough to trench and tuck them puppies in and just see what happens.  

Edited by The WE2's

The longer those spider legs get, the better your crop will be, especially if they're the early potatoes that don't stack. Just spread the legs way out when planting.  

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It’s heating up here.  Thyme, mint and oregano pots are now in the house. They needed to be watered daily. 

The fava beans gave me 1 cup of seeds for next year. As soon as it hit 90* they turned black and died. Now they are in the mulch bin helping to improve the quality of the soil for the next planting season. 

The zucchini is hanging in there. I left one on the plant, hoping to get some seeds. The one spinach plant has a bunch of flower stalks, soon to be seeds.  

Onion flowers are 4’ tall, the butterflies and hummingbirds seem to like them. 

The potatoes have sprouted.  Now if I can keep the Starlings from eating all their foliage, they might survive. 

When I get back from TX, I need to harvest the beets and carrots, and can them. 

The tomatoe plants are doing the best I have ever seen. I found a tomato sprout the other day, from last years seed planting. I’m looking forward to seeing it grow.  The plants in the front yard are doing the best, but the jalapeño plants are not doing as well, I don’t know if they will survive. 

One apple tree, now transplanted at the corner of the garden, seems to be growing. The other one doesn’t seem to want to survive. I tried. ?

I will have to transplant the garlic form inside the block holes.  Watering it everyday to keep it from wilting isn’t something I care to do. I’ll put them in the shaded area of the garden. 

The tomitillos are producing. One volunteer tomatillo, from last year is growing more like ground cover, instead of an upright plant. Interesting. 

Oh, and the roses in the front yard are hanging in there. They haven’t died yet. ?

Two Abraham Lincoln and one Chicago Peace.  

9A951B6E-B87C-4CA1-804D-78E36E1ED4BD.jpeg

ACEE7BA8-514B-413A-A662-486CF0900324.jpeg

2F69739D-A75C-4BE1-AA49-4F4AE7C7F5BB.jpeg

C4A5FCD3-6C56-4A2F-9539-F483A0281BB9.jpeg

• Like 3

No garden here this year, going to try herbs in pots we will see what happens. We are dog sitting for the youngest son, who is coming out of the truck to be a border patrol agent. He is now driving local until his application process is complete for border patrol and the company does not allow dogs on local runs, so mom and dad to the rescue. I will just have to drool over y'all's gardens. LOL

• Like 2

SCORE!  Cut my first lettuce tonight - had a Buttercrunch and Romaine Salad.  No chemicals!  Just a simple sweet oil & vinegar dressing and instant bliss!  I cut the romaine high, going to see if it is cut & come again.  The main garden chore is thinning right now - the beets, the radishes, the carrots, etc; followed by checking/mending fences to keep the deer out.  Asparagus ferns are up where we planted the root.  Blueberries are forming on two of the three  bushes.  Orchard trees are starting to grow, except the Asian Pear, which seems a mite slow to get going.  Waiting on replacement strawberries for the deer-browsed ones (new fence put in).  Ahh, summer approacheth!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2

As usual, I'm behind on my home planting transplants and fruit trees ordered from outside the farm. Why do I do this every year?  ?

DH is doing better with his new knee. It's been 3 months, and we're still doing PT every day. The ortho surgeon checked everything the other day and said, "Come back in a year." DH is doing great but still lots of stiffness and pain. It's more normal than what he would like.  ?

We've received over 2" of rain this last week, so I don't have to connect all the soaker hoses yet. It's a nightmare working a garden in sand country. ? Alas, I love every minute of the hard work. Spring is late, with over 8" of snow several weeks ago. The early greens are now on our table as salads. The asparagus has just started sprouting. I can finally get a small harvest this year. My mother thinks I'm crazy with all the growing acreage. She's always thought I was crazy when it came to dirt. Nothing has changed, but she still enjoys the weekly visits and help with her care, medical procedures and finances. ?

Have a great day!

Transplants 2017_2018.JPG

• Like 4

My rose cuttings came in, probably okay at the time.  But one thing and then another happened, and they all died in their shipping pack on my table. :(

• Sad 2
15 hours ago, Ambergris said:

My rose cuttings came in, probably okay at the time.  But one thing and then another happened, and they all died in their shipping pack on my table. :(

I'm sorry that happened!  I have killed several aloe vera plants in that manner in the past few years.

Just added more dirt to my tomatoes in the lick tubs.  Hopefully I can keep some water in there now.  Also today, I am transplanting some aloe plants that are still hanging on.  LOL

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, TheCG said:

Oh, hey!  I need a new aloe plant as well.  Especially since I'm a klutz.

Aloe grows wild here, especially if it gets water now and then. Took a couple plants to MIL’s last year and had to thin them last month. We have red and yellow flower aloe. The yellow flower aloe plants didn’t make it through her winter. 

Pulled the carrots today, filled my basket. I am in awe how big they were. Spent the morning, washing, pealing, rewashing and chopping them. They are in the canner counting down for the weight to go on. 

Turned the garden soil where the fava beans were and planted watermelon, cantaloupe and pumpkin in half of it. Today, I planted more carrots and some radishes in the other half. 

68968E57-7F0E-41E0-8B1B-D33B86458236.jpeg

C7D940D6-D7B2-49E2-8147-87345695F6D8.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow, look at those carrots!!!!   :bow:

I love love love your fire pit. That's the kind I'd like to have. So easy to mow over right over it. Hope you don't mind but I saved one of the pictures up above to my 'wish list' folder of favorite yard decorating ideas.

Sun = free dehydrator.  :cele:

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

I love love love your fire pit. That's the kind I'd like to have. So easy to mow over right over it. Hope you don't mind but I saved one of the pictures up above to my 'wish list' folder of favorite yard decorating ideas.

Here’s the DIY for you Jeepers:  

7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Whoa....those are big carrots!  Well worth the effort.  :thumbs:

Did you find the geode? 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Thanks. 

I enjoy walking in the desert with my camera and have a tendency to pick up interesting rocks.  Yes, found them all.  (I’ve rocks all around my yard, and they multiply... :24:  )

• Like 1

Thanks Annarchy but the template link didn't work. This is what shows up in the post:

[[Template forums/front/global/embedTopic is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Thanks Annarchy but the template link didn't work. This is what shows up in the post:

[[Template forums/front/global/embedTopic is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

:groooansmileyf:  It’s the “Gray Chrome theme” you are using. Going to have to do more research to find a fix. :sigh: