MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I've heard that they get spindley because the overhead light is too far above them...? I bought a seed starter tray (from Lowe's) that has a clear dome lid over it. Hoping it will keep the light reflecting downward. Either way, I have plenty of seeds so if I have to plant outside and purchase tomato plants etc, guess I'll have to do it. We also have plenty of old storm door windows that I want Mr to build me a cold frame anyway :-)

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Lookin' good We2's.

I can usually get them to the spindly stage and then I kill them.

I just transplanted most of them today into larger pots...keeping my fingers crossed that they'll flourish.  Still keeping them inside to moniter the temp and moisture.

• Like 1

This is about the extent of my garden this year.  Poblanos, string beans (in the washtub with tomato cages to climb on), Jalapenos, Tomatoes and some flowers for the bees.  Hope to add elephant garlic when I find it!  Everything is growing like crazy right now!  I forgot my mint and lone onion!  And aloe on the porch.

0406171104.jpg

Edited by snapshotmiki
adding info
  • Like 3

Got all the seedlings transferred into styrafoam and solo cups (or clay pots) and so far only two of the tomatoes show any sign of transplant shock, but they'll probably come on out of it.  Stuck some eggplant, acorn squash, swiss chard, more kale and ??? in some cups.  I think I still have plenty of time for them to sprout before going outside.  Ditched the seedling starter tray.  Won't buy one again, just don't like the way they do.

100_4533.JPG

100_4534.JPG

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Checked the little tp rolls and I've got some bush beens coming up.  Really was frustrate to see where "something" at almost all of my little seedling tomatoes.  The larger ones are in cages so they left them alone.  Also ate some of my sweet pepper seedings.  Was not thoughful of me to plant them and use only bamboo stakes around them instead of tp rolls.  They're inside tp rolls now! Grrr...I saw a bunny take off from the garden area so I'm betting that's the critter.  May have to set a live trap and send him to critter heaven.  Two of my hanging flower baskets are coming in, and my bell peppers are doing great in their containers in the herb bed.  The wild edible section looks good...except the asparagus and elderberry bushes look a bit droopy.  Transplant shock for sure.  I just want them to survive this year for next spring   Made the sawdust run so we'll be putting down weed mat with sawdust on top for walkways throughout the garden area as well as other places we don't want to mow or weed eat.

Thanks, snapshotmiki.  

So, you are going to be "hunting wabbits", The WE2's?  I saw one in the alley next to our fence.  Last year, I saw one go through the chain link fence like it was nothing.  How it compressed its body, was eye opening.  Ever since, we are keeping a close eye on them, especially since one chewed through our wire harness on the car.  Grrrr...indeed!

The sparrows began to decimate the wheat one morning before I could cut the stalks. While cutting, I was reminded of the story in the Bible about the wheat and tares.  Over half of the greenery was tares.   20 square feet of garden space planted with wheat, will yield an half cup of wheat to grind~or plant for next year.  I do not think it was worth the water.  It did make for some nice mulch fodder.

The zucchini is doing well.  The largest plant is already budding.  The purslane is beginning to sprout all over the yard.  A couple of carrots are flowering too.  I hope to collect all the seeds for next years garden.  And the camomile is growing incredibly well, its harvest will be a good one.  :hapydancsmil:

Wow, tomatillos!

Tomatoes are blooming, cabbage heads are getting bigger, garlic chives is doing well, harvesting radishes ~they don't make it to long, nom nom nom. ~ and I even have an alfalfa plant flowering. 

And the little apple tree, from the cores of Christmas pies is doing much better than I expected. 

IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2386.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

IMG_2389.JPG

• Like 2

Everything's planted "somewhere" except the Okra and Pole Beans, they'll go in the deep mulch section where we dumped and raked all the leaves we gathered up.  Will get them in first week of May or so.  Wild edible bed is on it's way, herbal/medicinal bed is on it's way and the raised beds are in, even got bush beans popping up and looking through the tops of the toilet paper role!  The containers are planted too.  Also got two Mason bee hives hanging, hope they take up residence. Just need to do more sawdust work as well as some wood chips.

100_4574.JPG

100_4579.JPG

100_4607.JPG

100_4608.JPG

100_4609.JPG

100_4610.JPG

100_4611.JPG

100_4612.JPG

100_4613.JPG

100_4614.JPG

100_4615.JPG

100_4616.JPG

100_4617.JPG

100_4618.JPG

100_4619.JPG

100_4621.JPG

100_4622.JPG

100_4623.JPG

100_4628.JPG

100_4630.JPG

• Like 3

Oh my We2. That looks fantastic!!!!! Your hard work sure does show.  :thumbs:

I love your water barrels too.

Why are the two white buckets sitting on the cement blocks?

Are the two birdhouse shaped thingies your mason bee hives? I've never heard of those...off to Google.

On 4/23/2017 at 4:02 PM, Jeepers said:

Oh my We2. That looks fantastic!!!!! Your hard work sure does show.  :thumbs:

I love your water barrels too.

Why are the two white buckets sitting on the cement blocks?

Are the two birdhouse shaped thingies your mason bee hives? I've never heard of those...off to Google.

The buckets have holes drilled in the bottoms and weed mat in the bottom...to drain and not flood the roots.  Yes the little houses are the Mason Bee hives...the truly American bee as I understand.

They are the "belly busters" of pollinators, and need more care than one would think.  Some people kill them, thinking they are just big old black flies.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Forgot to take camera today when watering...but lots of goodies growing...in containers!  Eggplant, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, watermelon, pumpkin, kale, chard, carrots, banana peppers (already picked dome), anaheim peppers (already picked some), sweet green bell peppers (having some tonight), tomatoes, bush beans (struggling), pole beans, stevia, lavender, aloe vera, thyme, valerian, and some pretty little wild flowers!  Mints of various types, and the wild section is doing great too.  I know I'm forgetting some...but when I take pics I'll remember!  Here's what I picked last night...also got some yellow squash from locals, and we enjoyed squash casserole with a humble hamburger.

101_0486.JPG

101_0484.JPG

101_0485.JPG

• Like 1

It has been a crazy summer, trying to plant hundreds of trees/bushes and get three new gardens (in sand) into production. DH keeps asking me if I'm really retired. :hapydancsmil: The hoophouse has worked GREAT! Even the mama rabbit enjoyed raising 7 babies before I discovered them. So cute.  :grinning-smiley-044: The bees are doing great. They found lots of nectar and pollen even in our remote country homestead. :cele: One of my new greens this year is Tatsoi. We love it even though it went to seed in June. It's on the list for fall planting along with about 20 other cool weather crops. I can use tunnels to extend our Wisconsin season, which I'm planning on doing.  :0327: We soon discovered this spring that we have Sandhill Cranes that like our lowlands and pond. I was quite shocked to find them walking in front of my kitchen window one day. They like the tasty veggies in my garden, so I have to chase them away. They will migrate south soon.   :pray:

P1030197.JPG

P1030317.JPG

P1030363.JPG

P1030439.JPG

• Like 6

The garden's doing pretty good, but still fighting japanese beetles and ???  Finally resorted to dusting with DE to keep the field crickets off but not sure it has any effect on the JB.  The tomato plants are having a hard time too.  You'll see the droopy eggplant buckets, but they perk up when watered.  The watermelon and pumpkin plants are sprawling good.The little spaghetti squash was the experiment...that I took a seed from one we ate, washed it and stuck it some dirt to get it started.  Then planted the seedling in the bucket...watcha know!  LOL

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG