MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Spring, or what passes for it lately, is indeed here. We will be leaving Alabama, where we wintered. I am eager to return home, if only to see my orthopedic doc, I think I cracked my good hip with a tumble back in Jan. The docs here keep saying 'bursitis' but it keeps getting worse....

We did get some fishing in, altho we could only afford to get an out of state fishing license for a week at a time ($29 per week). Tho I cant move well enough to fight these big catfish, I CAN and do net them for Mary. We caught six good sized flat head catfish (8, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 20 lbs), and another nice size (12 lbs or so) blue catfish. So it was worth the expense, and we are bringing back genuine southern cats for our friends who were originally from the south.

Only one got stolen....at least they left the stringer, net and pole. We found out it is not uncommon around here, but we figure if someone is that hungry we would have given them one anyhow. We still had the fun. So our snowbird winter was enjoyable, even with a (suspected) cracked hip. We return home with catfish and some new fishing techniques learned from the good old boys at the fishing hole

Edited by kappydell

I think I am going to leave my windows open some tonight. It will be in the forties outside so should be fine. Full moon tonight? I saw it as I was walking home from my friend's place, as I spent couple hours over some decaf, catching up on things with her.

Spring, or what passes for it lately, is indeed here. We will be leaving Alabama, where we wintered. I am eager to return home, if only to see my orthopedic doc, I think I cracked my good hip with a tumble back in Jan. The docs here keep saying 'bursitis' but it keeps getting worse....

We did get some fishing in, altho we could only afford to get an out of state fishing license for a week at a time ($29 per week). Tho I cant move well enough to fight these big catfish, I CAN and do net them for Mary. We caught six good sized flat head catfish (8, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 20 lbs), and another nice size (12 lbs or so) blue catfish. So it was worth the expense, and we are bringing back genuine southern cats for our friends who were originally from the south.

Only one got stolen....at least they left the stringer, net and pole. We found out it is not uncommon around here, but we figure if someone is that hungry we would have given them one anyhow. We still had the fun. So our snowbird winter was enjoyable, even with a (suspected) cracked hip. We return home with catfish and some new fishing techniques learned from the good old boys at the fishing hole

:thumbs:

Ooooo.....had to go outside to see the full moon. I love moonlight. Since we're COVERED in snow <_< .....well, it was so bright and gorgeous. :hapydancsmil: Thanks for reminder, Sass. I saw it was nearly there last nite.

Today was sunny....mostly. Full cloud cover....sometimes. Snow shower that didn't land anywhere....3 times. :scratchhead:

MtRider ...springtime in the Rockies :frozen::lois::rolleyes:

Sassenach, in Wisconsin we catch our cats on nightcrawlers; here in AL we caught them on bream hooked thru the back so they could swim around and attract attention. Never had any luck with chicken livers, hot dogs, or purchased stinky bait. The trick seems to be to figure out what they are eating in the particular place you are fishing and duplicate that...they don't seem to like food they are unfamiliar with. Then we use a size 3/0 hook, a 3 oz bank sinker, and rig it with the sinker at the bottom, the hook on a swivel about 8 inches above that, then a 2nd hook on another swivel if you want 8 inches higher, then attached to 20 lb test line. A metal leader is almost a necessity where the sinkers and hooks are attached, because those big ones like to lie on the bottom and pretend they are snags, and we had to just pull steadily up to get them to budge. We fished only about 15 feet offshore, but BE SURE YOU SECURE YOUR FISHING ROD!!!! The cats will drag them away before you can grab them. Most folks we know have lost rods that way. A good solid rod holder is an excellent investment and allows you to fish multiple poles at the same time, while you sit and wait for the tip to quiver. You want a medium drag, so they have to work a bit to take line, but you want to tire them out as much as they tire you out. They will take the bait, your rod tip will quiver a little, then if they feel you pulling they play dead and pretend they are snags. Then you pull, reel up the slack, and repeat. Very tiring, but wow! we had lots of satisfaction when we saw what was in the net!

Edited by kappydell

sorry, double post. durn laptop....

Edited by kappydell

Left some clothes on the line thru the night. :clothesline: Started laundry too late for them to dry. But since my bedtime/morning time schedule is set SO far back, they can be drying in the long morning hours before I get up. ...... :unsure:

Well, that works unless by the time you get up, the weather has changed to WINDY, COLD, CLOUDY, and DAMP. :blink:

MtRider ..rushed out to retrieve them before they got wet again! :rolleyes:

WE, evidently are expecting colder temps and snow, for hours tomorrow... really????

It's a little colder today too , as the front moves in? It was only in the fifties, mid to low the past several days.

Lumabean's wee son and I are dealing with hay fever allergies. I hear its the birch pollen, but I don't know. I don't think it is merely grass because I have only had it this bad in the northeast US.

Lumabean is doing ok these days. I chat with her on FB once in a while.

Hoping MT. Rider does not get any more snow though! Mine will melt fast as it will warm up and we do need any moisture we can get. NE US and Atlantic states are very dry compared to normal. NO burn orders are already in affect as a result.

The only thing growing here to produce pollen is the pines. Ack....I'm having a bad time of it this year. Even DH is sniffling and he's never bothered by sinus stuff. Yesterday was an "ill" day because of it. Woke feeling much better today. :amen:

Aieeee....? There is INCOMING "weather" from the NW. :behindsofa: Forecasters are doing that "mebbe/mebbe not" thing! :unsure:

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Surface/Forecast24.aspx

This pic of a HIGH in Colorado ...but it's wrapped nearly inside a LOW pressure system. :scratchhead: I've never seen one look like that before. What does is MEAN???? :blink:

MtRider ...we'll see :hidingsmile:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Yup, it is snowing, wet clumpy icky spring snow. It should start warming up in a couple hours though, so of course while it has draped every twig and branch and tree trunk and the soil, it will MELT.

About another week before it is 60F during the day and 40's in the night time.

I was wondering if we got more snow storms in the springtime if it meant we were actually heading int :shrug: o a mini ice age. * shrugs. :puzzledsmile:

Another nice day today in the high 60's. We had some very strong thunder storms go through early this morning. I hate when a loud crash of thunder happens when you don't expect it. Sheeesh, enough to give someone with a weak heart an attack. It's supposed to be rainy through next weekend.

Been snowing hard [no wind] for past couple hours. Nothing sticking on the ground. :hapydancsmil: ...YET.....Beginning to stick to pine needles tho.

:scratchhead: ....oddly, it's blowing just slightly down the ridge from the NE. That is an "almost never" direction for wind. :shrug:

God is watering my pasture :amen: but I hope it doesn't last til it gets cooler tonite. Then it will stick to the ground, driveway, roads, steps, porch, vehicles, horses, .......you get the picture..

Mini-ice age, huh? My driveway plow guy mentioned "We've gotten more "winter" this spring than we did all winter! True, that! But then, it's true here in this pocket of the Rockies many years. Worst blizzards are in "springtime" way more than traditional winter time. Wet soppy stuff....yep!

MtRider ....wasn't even sure we'd get hit this time. But yeah, CO is all speckled blue and green again. :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Had some pretty stormy stuff move through this morning, but it was pretty well out of the area by noon. Most of it went well north of us. Did go over to the Homestead and dig out the storm drainage/whistle. That thing is really a pain in the you know where :-(

We are seeing weather predictions for next Thursday for 3 good days weather for our return home. We are eager to be gone - a pit bull being walked by itw owner came on our camp site and attacked one of our dogs. Fortunately no skin was broken, though he is sore and very skittish now...(doggie ptsd I imagine) he is coping better each day. We were quite concerned, as the owner was not a camper here, and could not control his dog to keep it from charging onto our campsite. We reported it to the police dept - what if it had been a small child he attacked for wanting to 'pet the doggie'? but got no sympathy from the campground manager. Just a disclaimer that the campground was not liable, and a scolding for not having out dog on a leash (he was on our site and we were sitting right there with him after dinner). Next time we will pack our stun guns...don't really want to start slinging lead around in such a public place. Poor Max will be glad to get home to his own fenced yard.

....and snowing and snowing and snowing........

....fortunate that it's so wet, it's melting and not accumulating...much.

MtRider ...ANYthing is better than wildfire. :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider