MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Low was 75 at dawn. Gonna be another hot one today and then we'll drop into the 90's for a couple of days. 

The news said we almost broke the high record yesterday. Our car said, 107. 

We're back to springtime :lois: for the past couple days.  50's.  NICE...but WINDY!   I don't tolerate wind with my nervous system so I'm staying in.  But can hear it BLOWING :twister3:  

Some sort of precipitation is incoming..... :behindsofa:   Rain or snow or both...  :shrug: We'll see what our high altitude brings us.

MtRider  ....GREEN pastures!  Full creek.  Nary a wildfire in sight!  :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider
typing while brain deactivated.....

Yesterday and last night were just perfect!  72 with a little breeze and 52 last night!  Today 82 and 61 tonight.  We still have the house opened up as we know tomorrow it is headed up again and too warm for sleeping at night too.

Edited by snapshotmiki

Today and yesterday have been just gorgeous.  Couldn't ask for better weather.  I had lunch with friends both days, and we couldn't get over how lovely the air was.

• Like 1

It's been said that some of our "Fourteener" mountains [14,000' or higher] have more snow on them now than in Feb/March this year.  :o

We're much lower at nearly 9,000' and are getting rain....at least small amounts...daily too.  Tho we got snow recently and could get it again....even if it's June.

MtRider  .....not overheating outside yet [just inside buildings!]  :rolleyes:

We had a small VIOLENT storm that hit us but missed my folks nearby.  They heard our THUNDER and had a little rain. 

:o   We had wind-driven hail pounding down so thick and fast that covered the ground in piles.  Thankfully it was only pea-sized but it was so loud slamming down thickly on our roof that I couldn't hear the phone.  :behindsofa:    I'd called my folks to warn them to unplug their TVs, etc.  We worried about our vehicles but it didn't have any damage.  I was afraid ...after it continued for at least an hour....that we'd get larger hail eventually.  :amen:   We would have major damage.  But we have deep gouges in the driveway.  Other than that, we have high humidity/moisture for this part of the country.  Greeeen grass in pasture.  :happy0203:

MtRider  :hapydancsmil:

It's 80 degrees here today but with little humidity. It feel pretty good outside. Next week it's supposed to be in the 70's.

I can't imagine 110 degree heat.  Has there ever been a power outage in the summer with that heat? If so, how do people cope? I assume everyone has some sort of air conditioning?

On 6/3/2017 at 2:05 PM, Jeepers said:

It's 80 degrees here today but with little humidity. It feel pretty good outside. Next week it's supposed to be in the 70's.

I can't imagine 110 degree heat.  Has there ever been a power outage in the summer with that heat? If so, how do people cope? I assume everyone has some sort of air conditioning?

Yes, there has been.  You cope any way you can - usually by being lazy during the heat of the day (which is why certain countries have siesta time), drinking a ton, and trying to do things in the early morning/late evening.  If you're in an area that doesn't have high humidity, you can hang wet sheets over your windows/doors and they'll act as a swamp cooler.  Also, you go to wherever does have electricity still if you have the ability.  Movie theaters tend to get VERY crowded around here if the power goes out in some of the surrounding areas during the summer.  You wear looser clothing (I have been known to break out a linen chemise from my medieval stuff) that doesn't hold in sweat.  You play more with the garden hose, and if they'll still run, the sprinklers.  People with pools get very popular, especially if they have a shaded patio as well.  If you can't get ice from somewhere, you just run your water until it's cooler than the first bit.

If you have someone with medical issues who has issues with no power, you generally have that on file with the electric company so they can prioritize those people.  In some cases, emergency responders have been able to finagle a few generators from somewhere for people who have to have power.

Edited by TheCG

That's pretty much how I live in the summer before I turn on the air here. I do laundry and dishes and vacuuming etc. either late at night or early in the morning. Our library is always very busy in the summer too. They have a lot of comfy chairs and tables in there. Also over 40 computers so there is plenty to do there. I imagine the senior citizen buildings are busier in July and August too.

When I was growing up, no one had air conditioning. Not even the window units. We managed just fine with fans. Probably why I'm such a fan lover today. We didn't have the high heat in southern Indiana but we did have high humidity. Ugh.

I know if we have a particular bad heat wave, some organizations will give out free fans to the elderly or babies. It might be the fire department...I don't remember. Some places will give out free ice in emergency situations too.

Ach...Annarchy.  Today we began at a balmy, sunny 50 degrees.  Then.......we got another big storm.  At LEAST an inch of gropel/hail.  Was pea size and a bit bigger.  So far, still no damage.  We usually don't get hail damage up here but the mini-snow balls of gropel are softer than actual hail.  The larger stuff seemed to be actual ice tho.  SO VERY LOUD on our roof.  SMACK! with each one that hits....thousands of SMACKS!  Aiiiee!  It lasted a long time.  Looked like snow everywhere.

From the look of the water in the horse feed pan, we might have gotten nearly 2" of water. 

.....we don't measure in INCHES.  We measure in TENTHS OF INCHES.  :o

Pond is flooded again on the E side.  After running high with the last storm recently and now this, I'm keeping an eye on the SOUTH end of the pond.  Cleared reeds away from the outlet culvert on the south side.  [muskrat is chewing them and leaving lots of debris]  But that side will flood the driveway.  It sheets across so doesn't cause damage but it's quite a sight.

We have at least two muskrats and I think a Mallard pair of ducks is nesting.  Our ducks just happy with all the 'weather' and a very full pond. 

:duck1:  {that's not a happy duck pic tho}

MtRider ....btw...temperature dropped down to 38 degrees after the ice balls fell from the sky.  How can AZ, etc be so very hot and we're :frozen: ??

Consistently in the 90's and often the humidity to go with it.  Working in "spurts".  MrWE2 is working on a job project (with a friend) but he stays well hydrated and takes plenty of breaks.  Me?  I take care of the home front & keep this yard mowed...and also take plenty of water breaks.  The garden's beginning to bloom but we've had to fight for every one.  Fought the birds, now the bugs.  After each watering I sprinkle DE.  About half of the tomatoes are having a "droopy" time so I gave them a vigorous watering today, maybe just to hot?  The green bell peppers are doing great and have tiny little pods forming.  One egg plant bucket has a pretty purple bloom.  One squash bucket has a bloom.  The yellow sweet peppers are blooming and I have one pepper in the bucket already.  The bucket with the Annahimes is blooming and has a small pepper.  The pole beans are growing but I think the birds got our Okra seedlings.  The mixed bell pepper plants are starting to form pods too.  The Swiss Chard is peeking up (a re-plant) in it's container as is the Kale (also a re-plant).  The yellow neck is doing OK too and the Zucchini is going OK.  Picked a big bunch of Lambs Quarter this afternoon and it's rinsed and the frig to go with our scrambled eggs.  The onions have formed their seed heads (I wanted them to) and they're gorgeous.  The Chives are doing great...of course...they always do!  In the wild section, the Mullein is beautiful, the Edlerberry bush is doing great, the asparagus came up and has seeded...goodie!  The Echinacea has several pretty little buttons ready to bloom, the Yarrow is ok, the Queen Anne's Lace plant has some teeny tiny blooms so it looks like it will survive the transplant from our neightbors farm.  Also planted some Lambs Quarter in that section.  The Egyptian Walking onions are doing great, and so fun to look at now that they're forming their "weird" little pods...LOL  Picked about a half quart bag of Mulberries and they're in the freezer.  The herb section...some doing great, some just "there".  The Aloe plants are alive but look weirdly colored.  The Basil plants are really struggling for some reason, so I moved them again so they'll have a bit more shade?  My mint baskets on the homestead's front porch are growing great as well as the corner section where the green bell peppers are at.  The mints (peppermint, spearming & orange) are struggling.  Maybe to much sun?  About 80% of our garden area gets sun from sun up to sundown.  The wild section gets morning sun, and the deep mulch area gets eving sun.  So...I HAVE BEEN BUSY!  We also do some volunteer work at our local food distribution center (pantry, soup kitchen & summer food bus for children) on Monday mornings.  And in the midst of all this, I seem to find time to cook and do laundry...and run a vacuum etc.  My Abby-girl is right by my side (or within sight) most every hour...except when we do our shopping because we don't leave her in the truck.  She has to stay home...and she no like it! LOL

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been in the 90's here for quite some time...humidity comes and goes.  Glad the new window a/c is doing good! Having to water the garden though.Not using rain catchment yet.  Want to wait for another rain to replace what I might use.

• 1 year later...

Beautiful day today.  Took a day trip in our Miss B and just enjoyed the sunshine and 60 degree weather.  The robins are out making their presence known, and the sparrows are singing and flirting with each other like crazy! 

• Like 1