MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thursday it was 95...make you feel sick kind of heat. Friday and Saturday we had rain, thunder and lightning....today I'm wearing a sweatshirt. Supposed to be back up in the high 80's/low 90's by Wednesday. Don't like the big fluctuations.

...make you feel sick kind of heat.

Don't like the big fluctuations.

^snip^

High heat + humidity = "sick kind of heat" Takes your breath away sometimes. I agree, these big fluctuations are annoying. I don't mind the cool down spells but it wreaks havoc on my system when it's 75 one day and 105 the next.

It is averaging over 100 here in the desert. Keeping the lawn and garden watered is a challenge. In most areas, you water in the day, we water at night to give the water time to soak into the ground.

Hopefully, the garden will continue to produce until June or July before it gets overwhelmed by the heat.

Yep...springtime in the Rockies...

THUNDERSTORMS with LIGHTENING!!! :twister3: in the eastern plains [uSUALLY not up here]. HAIL....so much they get out the snowplows! Seriously...but also not up here. And yes......actual SNOW too. That would be us 'high country' folks.

Temperature was 27 degrees when I went out to feed last nite. :frozen: Got down a few more degrees thru the night and we woke to snow. At one higher elevation...they had lotsa inches on their vehicles. Our snowdrops melted as it came down.

Today we've had a few SNOW flurries ....also melting as it lands on the warmer ground. 35 degrees right now [2pm]. That will be our "high".

MtRider ....no chance of wildfire.... :happy0203::campfire:

Edited by Mt_Rider

IT WAS HOT BUT...we did get the new (and larger) hoops put on the longest bed. The 3x8 and the reast of the "ring" plants will have to wait. The garden survived last nights big thunderstorm but we went ahead and replaced the hoops with larger pvc and used some pex to cut clamps. They're calling for more storms tonight so we went ahead and put the covering back over the long bed. We're hoping to take a motorcycle ride tomorrow so we'll uncover them. The temp was about 89 and the humidity felt like it was about the same. But...we got a lot of our project done :-) I even stole my first radish :-) We have one small head of Broccoli formed too :-) The cabbages look wonderful. I've never been successful growing cabbage so this is a blessing. Question? When do you prune the lower leaves ... or do you? When are these leaves suitable for "cabbage rolls"?

post-9087-0-07644700-1464399959_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-13428900-1464400015_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-36940200-1464400071_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-80665700-1464400083_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-21075500-1464400094_thumb.jpg

You are so stinkin' cute. I absolutely love your hair-do. I'm definitely getting mine cut in a week or two now. It's just too darn hot already and I'm ready for something quick and easy. I have lots of yard work and house work to do this summer and I want cooool. I also have some canning planned this fall and I really hate long hair when I'm working around food. Mine is really thick too.

The weather's gone crazy, woke up a couple days ago and well, the temps went way up and some clouds and rain, so humidity..... whoa, compared to how it had but forecast says uh huh, we will dip back again lower.... allrighty....

Very nice garden, WE2, I think its great you and your hubby are such a good team, you are on top of it all!

Dogmom it hit 94 or so here the past two days and today is pretty warm right now. Got the fans on. Dont have AC , ugh.

I think I will be going down to the park alot this summer during the afternoons. I just take the laptop for writing and my wee knitting , something to drink and healthy snack and Im good for a few hours.

Wow WE2s!! That rain system is great. If you don't mind, where did you get the barrels? We have tried storing water in the past, but with no rain gutters on the house, the collection part is not easy ... especially in drought country!! Definitely have gutters on the to do list. Hope TEOTWAWKI doesn't happen before then!!! YIKES!!! Yours really look great!!

We've had fairly nice weather here...but would benefit from a little bit more rain. Had to tap into our rain barrels last night for a little garden moisture. The beds with the wood chips really did hold the water better than the one that didn't. We'll be adding chips shortly, under the new plants.

Anny...have you ever tried "shade cloth" to protect your beds from direct sunlight when the temps sore?

Shade cloth is a prime selling item here. It probably would be a good investment, just right now, it isn't in our budget. Plus, the sun shreds it rather quickly. You can almost expect to replace it annually.

The few trees in the yard help tremendously, especially in the afternoon.

Today, it is 10:30 am and the thermometer says it is 105* in the shade. :knary: The news was forecasting 120* - "extreme heat warning" - in some desert areas, guess what area I am in. :yuk:

So. Much. Rain. Just took a drive out in the country ... I live in the suburbs, sigh ... and the fields are so saturated that water is running across the roads in all the low-lying areas. Lots of flatland here!!

Yeah Annarchy, my big bro is back in Joshua Tree , CA and it was 106F there at noon. I remember the 118F days in Ridgecrest, also in the Mojave. I used to work outside all day there! Well a lot of the time, gads.

If I had stayed out there I should have applied to Nasa at Edwards, I had the resume for a few positions , and had periodically helped with some of the gear when they brought some of it to my particular Intermediate shop, at the time I was there in the Navy days.

I didn't like plain desert though. So I left.

ok, here in upstate NY it was over 90 at 2pm , or it felt that way, and one right toe is aching, so serious rain is coming ( its all predicted. )

Lumabean checked in with me on FB , she will be in the SEVERE ZONE there mid atlantic , most of PA and up past Albany possibly?

TORCON was at 3 prediction, it CAN kick up tornados at that level for SEVERE ZONE,

Im about 100 miles north of Albany NY , but we should be ok, depends on how it all goes up from south of us...... we do seriously need rain. Hope the power stays on for folks, etc.

Lumabean is all prepped for storm though.