MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pat Upton

The little town closest to us (population 8,000) is home to 2 famous retired singers and one of them died last week. He was the writer and lead singer of the song "I love you more today than yesterday" It is a golden oldie. I happened to meet him and he was a very nice man. Pat was the reason that Ricky Nelson came to Guntersville and gave his last performance before Nelsons fatal plane crash in the 80's. They were close friends.

FYI Jeff Cook(from the group Alabama) also lives here. I have also talked to him. (At the Chinese buffet..lol) Kind of odd for such a small town to have any famous folks living there. There are also several big BassMaster fisherman and a few romance novelists here too.

Maui back in the 80's was like that. It IS odd. Very rural (cane/pineapple) and small town feel except for luxury hotels and condos. Didn't have Target, Walmart, nothing. DH got to know/adjust a famous C&W singer. We went to their house. I drove bus for several famous folks and one particularly TALL professional basket ball team. Tour bus drivers are supposed to play 'doorman' as everyone exits....make sure they don't trip, etc. I about fell over backwards trying to look at their face. [Course, I'm short] LOL

Met one singer cuz he and his wife attended our small church. Probably more but I don't follow music folks. Sorry for your singer.

Some folks were really nice and normal. Some....were not.

MtRider ...Maui isn't so 'small town' at all anymore tho. :sigh: Guess I experienced the last glimpse of it.