MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dogs

Not sure I mentioned it or not but a dog, Finn, was placed with a little 8yr. old girl this month. They are in the beginning stage of their life together but so far so good. She is a lovely little girl with Brittle Bone Disease and is usually in a wheelchair. I think there are now 33+ service dogs out there working and what a life changing adventure they are providing. Most of them have gone to veterans. A couple are with cancer patients to help them get to their chemo treatments. Some who aren't quite service dog material have gone on as Perfect Pets.

To date "we" have placed 3 of them with children. A risk that has paid off a thousand fold! Two of the children (according to parents and doctors) would be permanently in wheelchairs if it weren't for their Danes.
Bella and George
Hunter and Wendy
Eve and Finn

And "my" Ethel has helped her Julia (paralyzed from the waist down) to stand and take steps after being wheelchair bound from an accident. They are on their way to medical school now.

Do I support the Service Dog Project? Yep, every month.
Am I proud of them? You bet.
Do I love each and every one of those dogs? With all of my heart.

Here is a short (19 sec) clip of Bella and George (left) and Eve and Finn (right). On one of Eve's first trips out with Finn...WALKING.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A big shout out to Disney World! One of the persons who watches the dog site works at Disney in Florida. She asked what they did with the old bedding that is still good but not good enough for the tourists staying at their hotel. They told her they usually throw them away.

Long story short, Disney World donated and sent 3 HUGE boxes of blankets for the dogs and puppies to use. One box was opened on camera and I swear, they are blankets I'd love to have and use.

Someone spills a pop or something greasy that will stain, they can't use it. Understandably. No one wants to check into a hotel and see where some stranger has been. Plus you know it would end up on the internet! They said they would save more. Also towels if we want them. Heck yeah. It's surprising what you can get if you only think to ask.

So a big thank you to Disney!  :cele:

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another success story. Grab a tissue. Sorry it's so long.

It's amazing how time flies by so fast. Can you believe that 7 months ago today is the day I came home matched with my sweet Pixie! My angel my gift to life back. I never imagined how I would gain so much independence back. I'll never forget when I sent in my letter for consideration. I waited so impatiently. Then the letter came for a visit. I cried opening it. I still remember it like it was yesterday I was shaking with tears of joy and hope for change. My boys have seen me struggle walking helped me up carried me. We would play games in the house crawling cause I couldn't walk my stairs. We made the best of it all.

I went for a visit I spoke with Carlene who I just absolutely adore more then life itself. Why do I say this. She is truly one amazing woman with a heart of gold. She has not only changed my life but my family's life in so many ways. She's my other hero she is one of the most unselfish women I have ever met to help so many people the way she does. I met Steve that day to, he made me feel welcome and just so at ease. I also met others I apologize I forget names and to whom I don't mention. It was one of the best days of my life. I walked around and was getting ready to leave and Steve came up to me and said I was accepted! I stood there shaking! Omg it was so real my life was going to change! My dream for me and my family. I never think of just me I always think of others.

I cried tears of joy half way home why cause my youngest son had one wish on his Christmas list and that was for me to receive a dog to help me walk again. He wanted nothing more then a gift for me. A 10 year old boy thought of me over himself. I'm so blessed to be so loved. His wish was answered his gift has continued and he has given back and is still going to continue to do so.

Then I got the next call the stay visit omg I'll never forget any of this I left the Sunday after Thanksgiving on Nov 27 the day it all changed. I was so excited so nervous so happy so overwhelmed so besides myself with joy! I made it to the farm! Here comes Steve with my sweet baby and from that day on we have been one! I looked at Pixie and fell in love with her right then and there. I knew then we where a match made in heaven. I can never thank Megan for all she taught me to. Her patience and kind heart.

Let's back track 7 months I left I hugged everyone good bye with hopes that I would walk again. Well here's 7 months later I'm walking, I can do stairs, I can play in my yard, walk longer distances! I can do all the things I thought where lost forever. That I cried over for the sake of having two young boys who needed their mom. Pixie gave me this. My boys patience with me in our training my fiancé, parents and all my friends all can attest to how far I have come. Pixie has never given up on me either she keeps me going, weather I'm sick having a bad day with my legs she know just what to do. My favorite is when she hops in the tub with me lol cause she know I need help, now how isn't that true love?! We were meant for each other.

There's no more staring at me! Look at that lady walk, why does she's drag her foot, why does she limp,? No more falls no more broken bones, phew those hurt. It's wow your dog is amazing your story is giving me goose bumps filled with tears and hope and pure understanding. Pixie is my life saver my love my hero! But I have the Service Dog Project to thank for all of this. Cause if it wasn't for their hard work kind hearts and dedication to help the sick none of this could have ever happened.  I'm forever grateful!    Pixie's Mom

9a4346b7793b85a83d0f1589a2f4e3d973627a734535ccc34b143abce5e8dba7.jpg

d85c66119947a16a562ff9d758ca59b9472234e79b6de907ba90e91e411cf365.jpg

e2ce533fbf8319193c259c0e029b1169e01a8c0ce18353b3c34bf1fbd77ab978.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

It sure is!  We have one dog, Ethel, in medical school and one dog, Asher, starts law school this year. :D

It's in Capital letters so Carlene can read it better. He isn't yelling. LOL

From Asher's mom:

"DAYS ONE AND TWO OF ROGER WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW ORIENTATION ARE BEHIND US AND ASHER WANTS TO KNOW, "ARE WE LAW STUDENTS YET?!" 

WE'VE MET OUR CLASS OF 2020, WE'VE BEEN INTRODUCED TO THE DIFFERENT ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES, WE'VE MET OUR PROFESSORS (THE TWO I MET TODAY SHOOK MY HAND AND SAID, "SO I KNOW THIS IS ASHER, BUT WHAT'S YOUR NAME?"), WE'VE RESERVED OUR SEATING IN CLASS, SO WE'RE JUST SO READY TO BE DONE WITH THESE LONG DAYS AND START CLASS FOR REAL!
ASHER'S BEEN EXTREMELY PATIENT AS HE LAYS NEXT TO ME FOR HOURS WHILE I TRY AND ABSORB ALL THIS INFORMATION BEING THROWN AT US. WE DRESSED UP FOR THE OATH OF PROFESSIONALISM AND RECEPTION LAST NIGHT---

HE'S STARTED A ROUTINE OF RUNNING IN SMALL CIRCLES AROUND ME WHEN I TELL HIM TO GO PLAY. HIS FAVORITE THING THOUGH IS WRESTLING WITH ME IN THE GRASS - I'M SURE I GET A FEW FUNNY LOOKS FROM PEOPLE WALKING BY WHEN I'M ON ALL FOURS IN THE GRASS PLAYING WITH ASHER AFTER A LONG SESSION, BUT I PREFER TO THINK THESE PEOPLE ARE JUST JEALOUS THAT THEY DON'T HAVE THEIR OWN PUP TO PLAY WITH ON CAMPUS. :) AFTER FEELING SO MENTALLY DRAINED, A LITTLE PLAYING IS THE PERFECT WAY TO RE-ENERGIZE!

TOMORROW WE'LL HAVE TO SKIP THE PLAY TIME FOR OUR THIRD AND FINAL DAY OF ORIENTATION - WE'LL DON THE BUSINESS ATTIRE (INCLUDING THE TIE, OF COURSE) ONE MORE TIME AS WE SPEND THE MORNING BACK IN THE APPELLATE COURTROOM AND THE AFTERNOON IN PROVIDENCE BEING INTRODUCED TO THE PUBLIC INTEREST LEGAL COMMUNITY UP THERE. FOR NOW, ASHER GETS TO CHILL FOR THE REST OF THE DAY WHILE I WORK ON FIRST ASSIGNMENTS FOR NEXT WEEK'S CLASSES. COME MONDAY, WE'LL BE LAW STUDENTS! "

Edited by Jeepers
Added Asher's Letter
  • Like 2

Forgot to add that we have one dog, Finn, in elementary school and two dogs, Wendy and George, now in middle school. They are a smart bunch. The teachers even give them report cards...straight A's I might add and they get a school picture taken every year. :008Laughing:

Two dogs are in school with their teacher mom's.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Grab a tissue. Hunter and Wendy are in the news again. I know I've said it before but Hunter really is my hero. I really love that kid. Wendy is pretty special too.

The film at the beginning just says it all.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/service-dog-helps-alfred-boy-re-learn-to-walk/467096903

ALFRED, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A boy from Alfred will start middle school this year accompanied by his dog.

Hunter VanBrocklin has cerebral palsy, and has re-learned to walk -- twice -- thanks to his service dog, Wendy. The VanBrocklin family got Wendy about four years ago through the Service Dog Project

"Within 10 feet of them walking together the trainer and Carlene knew that they were a match," said Hunter's mother, Kelly.

The organization runs on donations, and was able to donate Wendy to Hunter and his family.

"She helps me with just about everything," said Hunter VanBrocklin. "I knew what it was like before I got her -- didn't know what it would be like after, but it turned out to be a whole lot better."

Due to cerebral palsy, Hunter's muscles do not work as they should.

"He was born 14 weeks early. He's worked for everything he's gotten," said Kelly.

After a year of training, Hunter could take Wendy to school with him, helping him walk up and down stairs.

"She's like bringing your favorite stuffed animal everywhere," said Hunter.

"We are trying to keep him walking as long as possible. They told us he would not walk past seven [years old]," said his father, Andy. 

Doctors told Hunter and his family that he would have to have hip dysplasia surgery in January of 2016, and said Hunter might not walk again.

"We knew that you would have to take steps back sometimes when you're dealing with CP to take steps forward," said Andy.

Thanks to his previous work with Wendy, Hunter's surgery went well.

While Hunter can walk partially on his own, he relies on Wendy for many daily activities. With her help, he hiked Tuckerman's Ravine on Mount Washington, and has been able to become more active.

"Wendy has four-wheel drive and I can take her on almost anything," said Hunter.

"With Wendy he's gotten way stronger. He's got a little muscles which he never had before," said Kelly. "He can run around, he can walk around without her and play dodgeball. He's playing soccer --stuff that he probably would not have been able to do wheelchair-bound, and Wendy did that," said Kelly.

She also credits Hunter's perseverance.

"It's pretty amazing. Everybody wants the best for their kids and he's worked for it. We only give him the tools. He has the drive and determination. That's Hunter."

Now Hunter is selling tote bags to raise money for others who need service dogs, splitting the proceeds between Boston Children's Hopsital and the Service Dog Project.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Service Dog  or  Emotional Support Dog.

This is a mini pet (no pun intended but it is kinda funny, huh. Oh my, don't let me digress again!)  peeve of mine. Wouldn't we all like to bring our dog with us shopping or running a quick errand instead of leaving it in the car; or home alone. But that sort of cheapens the meaning of a true service animal... IMHO. 

I loved my dog Muffin so much. We brought each other great joy and comfort and were attached to each other. But lets face it...she was a beagle. Once her nose was on the ground and she was off and running and I didn't even make the top 10 list of favorite things to sniff. But in the house, oh boy, I was number one!!!   Not counting food.  I adore beagles.

Lawsy, I'm all over the place trying not to offend. I got this in the email today explaining Carlene's definition of a Service Dog. She breeds, raises, trains and donates Danes at her farm so she knows a little about the subject.

Here is part of the email pertaining to Service Dogs:

Which brings me to -  the legal issues of how to tell who is faking it?... i wish they would all stop trying to define  who IS  a service dog because there is often absolutely no problem in telling who is NOT a service dog... any dog that is  NOT perfectly behaved and 24 inches from it's owner on all 4 of it's own feet, is not a service dog....i could go even further and cure the airline problem by saying "remove all harness and collars from service animal and call  them to walk to the scanner alone."  this is one of the  ADI tests to certify public access... in public drop leash and call the dog to be under control"-- this would be absolutely no problem for any dog certified by us... at least when we certified them... sometime owners get lax... but they passed that test when we donated them!!  That would eliminate 99.4% of the issues. If only they asked me..... :) 

Carlene is very much like the comic Maxine. An 80 year old straight shooter.
Unlike Carlene, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I just found it interesting and educational. 
  • Like 1

Think ONE person doesn't help? I remember doing this back a few years ago. It was also in the email I got from the one above this post. Her grammar and spelling are "unique" to say the least. And yep, she is a college graduate and studied in Scotland but her degree is in math...not English. I'm leaving it as is.

it was almost as amazing as the pink enveloope campaign we did for the kid getting bullied in school-- for you new commers...-- way back..tehre was a kid who had a problem with her service dog in school... so we-- sdp-- made an appt to go see the principal  to try and get some help for the situation.  we had an appointment.. and sat in her outer office at 9:00-- she came out and waved her arm t us "i don't have any  time for you" - causing me to realize we needed  help -- so i came home and got online with  the thousands of people who watch us and comment daily-- and asked them to  pass th word around and go buy 2 pink envelopes and  send pne to the superiintenden of schools and the other to the principal-- and mail them on tuesday.... there were 2 very significant results------ someosn at the post office told me they must have had 10,000 pink envelopes... and the principal  said " i had no idea"-- well she does now.
the principal who had to deal with bella and george was  alot more reasonable... she was just paniced... and i can't blame her...  here we were saying this 48 pound little kid wouold have control over this 131 pound dog...-- it has been a long road to convince the world in general that  a well trained service dog is a whole different ball of wax compared to the generic house pet..

It's funny but after reading a daily email of hers I don't have to even pause to figure out a word.

Remember last year when George was Service Dog of the Year?

It's funny but after reading a daily email of hers I don't have to even pause to figure out a word. Thousands of people also speak Carlenese. Rosetta Stone ain't got nothing on this old gal.  :008Laughing:   

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

It's me again. Hey at least I'm keeping them in the same thread now.  :happy0203:

From Kringle's Mom:

November12, 2017
Kringle and I are most thankful today for progress. The picture depicts us at a lovely musical presentation at a local college. The star of the show is my good friend's daughter, Jordan, and last year we enjoyed her talents at this same theater. Except last year instead of Kringle I had a walker. The building itself is old and consists of many stairs. Last year I had to be assisted to my seat and the walker had to be secured elsewhere until the end of the show. This year, due to Kringle and I slowly walked the stairs as a team and enjoyed the show together. In fact we both stood at the end and gave a standing cheer. Thank you and no more walker! Super job Jordan.

Kringle.jpg

• Like 2

:sSig_thankyou:    Yes, please do!

A reminder to veterans who have qualified service dogs...the veterans administration will take care of the dogs medical bills.

Forgot to mention that 'Wicked' the dog that Scott talked about is one of "our" dogs too.  :wub:

Edited by Jeepers
Added info.
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...