MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dogs

Erica and Asher won "Prom Queen and King" at their law school this weekend. Sigh.   :wub:

Here is the letter she sent.

Hi Carlene, 

Asher and I went to our first Barrister's Ball (also known as Law School Prom) this past Saturday as first-year law students and had such a wonderful time! We - Asher's name was on there too - were on the final Ballot for Barrister's Court (aka Prom King/Queen) a couple of weeks ago, something that I never would have gotten on my own. We got the most votes of our 1L class, and were named onto Barrister's Court! I've never been part of the popular crowd before now, but then again, this is my first year with a Dane as a constant companion!

I was thinking today, as I went through all the pictures we took last night among friends, about why I had chosen the small, more personal  school I did to attend law school this year over a huge one in New York: I was so uncomfortable walking and moving around in front of people, whether at work one-on-one with a client who didn't know me well, in court in front of law clerks and judges, or even just in casual administrative hearings in front of other lawyers. I'd feel their stares, even if I was just imagining them. Even in college, I dreaded award ceremonies because the thought of walking up in front of all those people was mortifying. I decided I needed a more close-knit campus to feel comfortable enough around people to get over that. 

And while I'm sure the familiar atmosphere has helped, Asher has gotten rid of that insecurity completely. He helps me physically every day, but he's also given me such a unique way to meet people, start conversations, and he shifts the focus from my movement to him (and usually his huge size!). The Student Bar Association president called both of our names as the 1L winners last night and we took the long walk from our table to the stage together while the whole room watched, definitely a walk that I would have struggled to get through alone just a short several months ago. The room was so loud with people cheering and we weaved around some tight spaces, but it didn't faze Asher one bit. I'm convinced he knew he was walking up to claim his prize because his popularity comes as no surprise to him, and he smugly takes the reactions of his fans in stride, reassuring me with his "Yeah, whatever, we've got this" demeanor in the process.

To be crowned onto Barrister's Court by our classmates meant so much. Here, with Asher, I'm not the girl with the weird gait that people feel bad for. I'm Erica with the huge dog wearing the necktie as we go about our day like anybody else. People have gotten to know me for me, and Asher has been responsible for initiating most of those casual conversations, looks of surprise instead of uncomfortable stares, and friendships I have today. He's given me so much confidence - it doesn't matter who we're walking in front of when he's next to me.

I'll paste our Facebook post below so you can read it and attach some photos. I just wanted you to know that, while I'm so thrilled to win a fun popularity contest in the middle of my hardest year of school yet, I'm incredibly thankful for the opportunity I've had to live a different life these days; one where people can see through my physical differences and get to know me, and Asher too! 

Erica and Her Boys.jpg

Queen and Kings.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 8:29 PM, Jeepers said:

We have a new group of puppers now. They are adorable of course. Here are a couple of pics but I don't know who is who yet.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

That little pink nose deserves a little kiss doncha think! LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Absolutely We2.  Look how short their snout is compared to when they are a adult. Hard to believe how big they are going to be.  It's cute when they are all nursing and their little tails are wagging a mile a minute. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have a new doggy flying in from Denmark today. We are just praying he  she gets to the farm before another nor'easter, that is scheduled to arrive, hits.  Volunteers etc. are already showing up with food, food, and more food. Purina just donated skids and skids of food for the dogs too. They are so good to SDP. Generators are all gassed up and Bud and Tanner have lots of firewood ready for the fireplace. Other nearby volunteers are at the ready to take in a couple of dogs to their homes incase they would ever have to evacuate. Looks like they are all set. They are preppers and don't even know it. :008Laughing:

One of the volunteers husband is an airline pilot so when we buy a dog, he flies his wife Judy over for free to actually pick up the dog and fly back the same day with her hubby... and dog.  Only one who has to pay is the dog. And that's a lot! This has saved SDP a fortune! He is flying in to Boston Logan so we already have people stationed there also in New York in case it plane gets diverted.

Can't wait to see the little Dannish Dane Doggy.

https://de.flightaware.com/live/flight/DLH422

Ohhhh, arriving in America in 40 min.:hapydancsmil:

Edited by Jeepers
Changed Gender! OOPS. LOL
  • Like 2

My brother had some of his cloth-type building damaged in the recent nor'easter.  Lost power for 3 days at the farm.  The boats at his marina lost all the river water  ...which does happen sometimes with huge WIND and low tide.  The boats sit on mud til the tide finds it's way back in.  They're hoping this one isn't as bad....since lotta folks still without power from the last one. 

Wasn't there another expected doggie arrival that ran into bad weather and the flight was diverted? 

12 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

They are preppers and don't even know it. :008Laughing:

Most intellegent folks ARE the prepared-for-contingencies people!!!  :happy0203:

MtRider  :pray:  doggie dear arrives with all due fanfare and no emergencies.

Yes. That was Neal. He flew in through a terrible thunder/lightning storm.

Our best stud muffin Bentley has been 'out of commission' since he and Carlene were electrocuted on that elevator. Poor little man. He still gets triggered when a fly buzzes by. The noise reminds him of that electric sound. He was also Carlene's personal service dog. He still goes to Costco and Home Depot but his heart isn't in it like it was.

We have other dogs who enjoy going to "Honeymoon Hill" but we need a new bloodline because she won't breed closely related dogs. Denmark Danes seem to be her favorite because they are stockier than American Danes.

Well our new little arrival has arrived. Upon further inspection of the undercarriage....it seems we have a little GIRL! LOL

To clarify, she is a German dog who came from Denmark.  :blink:

And she has HUGE paws and a HUGE bark for such a little girl.

She is so darn cute!

Sweet little Natasha. 

Natasha.jpg

Edited by Jeepers
Changed a gender and added a pic and info.
  • Like 3

Momma Carlene sitting on the floor at Boston's Logan airport waiting for Natasha's passport. She is in her element there. Full of love, hopes and dreams for so many. Not bad for an 80 year old woman.  :wub:

Carlene And Natasha.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

How to train your dogs with a spoon and a small can of dog food. It also comes in handy for hiding pills. The BIG nosey dog is her service dog Bentley. He was the one who was electrocuted with her on the elevator. He used to be the best 'daddy' dog but lost all interest after the shock. He has PTSD now. He still gets scared when flies buzz too close to his ears. The buzzing sound triggers him. He's still a great dog for everything else though and makes weekly rounds at nursing homes.

Learn their name

Wait their turn

Not be food aggressive

Be cute :wub:

Carlene video...1:45

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Yesterday George had an upset tummy at school and threw up in the hall. He got sent to the school nurses office to rest.  :grinning-smiley-044:

She felt like he should probably go home for the day so she called his mom. When asked about the clean up, the janitor said, "No problem. He's just like any other kid around here." :wub:

Sometimes people do give you hope in the human race. George is fine. And the janitor is a really good human bean. And the school nurse has a story about the day she had to send a Great Dane home from school because of a stomach ache.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't know Ambergris. That is a fantastic idea though. I know they keep jars of pumpkin baby food and baby food rice on hand at all times on the farm. Might be a good idea to pack a jar of each in his backpack. I'll mention that. Or a stash in the nurses office with some doggy crackers. Still a learning process.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

"But Mooooom, they all have those sharp little pointy needle things on the end of their fingers. One minute you don't see them and the next minute...BOOM, you've got wild cats hanging off of your skin. They almost put my eye out yesterday with those things. They're vicious I tell ya. Spiders are little too and look how you acted last week when one swung by your face on his 'butt string'. Remember? I do! Uh-Huh. Not so funny now is it?"  :pout:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • 4 months later...

I GOT THIS IN AN EMAIL FROM CARLENE JUST IN TIME FOR SUMMER.

I cleaned it up a little. Not for language but for spelling and punctuation. She’s a mess. She uses caps because of her 81 year old eyesight.

Regarding Summer--With Black Dogs--And Sunlight--And Parking Lots--And Hot Top:

YOU HAVE TO THINK FOR THEM. RECIPIENTS MUST BE REMINDED YOU MUST NEVER STOP TO TALK TO ANYBODY IN A PARKING LOT. YOU WILL OVERHEAT AND/OR KILL YOUR BLACK DOG. BETWEEN THE HOT TOP AND THE BLACK HAIR THE HEAT GENERATED IS UNBELIEVEABLE. EVEN WITH BENTLEY AND HIS SPOTS, THE BLACK AREAS GET SOOO MUCH HOTTER THAN THE WHITE ONES. THE HOT TOP IS CERTAINLY HOT TOO. BEND DOWN AND FEEL IT. YOU HAVE SHOES ON--THEY DON'T. PUT THEIR HARNESS ON IN THE CAR AND WHEN THEY JUMP OUT, GET MOVING RIGHT AWAY FOR THE BUILDING OR EVEN CEMENT WALK. DO NOT STOP. THINK OF THEIR PAWS.

THEN OF COURSE YOU NEVER LEAVE THEM IN A CAR ANYWAY. BUT, I TELL EVERYONE, NEVER BE IN A POSITION OF HAVING YOUR DOG IN THE CAR AND ALL DOORS AND WINDOWS SHUT. WHY? WE DID HAVE A RECIPIENT HAVE HER DOG JUMP IN THE CAR. SHE SHUT THE DOOR AND THEN FELL HITTING HER HEAD. LUCKILY SHE WAS NOT KNOCKED OUT. BUT HAD AN AMBULANCE BEEN CALLED THEY MIGHT HAVE HAULED HER AWAY NEVER NOTICING THE DOG IN THE CAR, THUS KILLING HER DOG. SO WE JUST DON'T.

HERE'S THE ROUTINE:

1. DRIVERS DOOR OPEN.

2. BACK DOOR OPEN.

3. LOAD DOG.

4. SHUT BACK DOOR.

5. GET IN DRIVERS SEAT AND SHUT THE DOOR.

(ME: in other words...shut your door last!)

GET INTO THAT ROUTINE. NEVER BE IN A POSITION OF BEING OUTSIDE THE CAR WITH YOUR DOG IN THE CAR AND NO EXIT.

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE UNTIL IT DOES.

I HAVE BEEN VERY LAX ALL WINTER ABOUT LOADING DOGS HERE. I WATCH AND ALL THE TRAINERS AND WALKERS ARE NOT DOING THAT. WELL TODAY STARTS A MADENING PROGRAM.  I THINK I WILL WEAR A WHISTLE. HOW MADENING WILL THAT BE? IT WON'T BE MADDENING AT ALL IF YOU ALL DO IT RIGHT. IT IS NOT A STUPID RULE WITH NO LOGICAL BENEFIT. I WAS REMINDED WHEN GOLDIE MADE CAROLINE EMAIL THE MESSAGE.

FROM CAROLINE TO CARLENE:

I always remember your caveat to keep one car door open, so that the dog can get out and help you if you need it. I always keep the back door open until I get into the car safely (there is an open/close button in the driver's side door). The other day when I was leaving school, I told Clark to load up, which he did right away. I then went towards the driver's seat, but I lost my grip on the door handle and fell to the ground (not hard). I called" Clark! Come!" He peeked around the back door and saw me on the ground. I could almost hear the "how did you get down there? You were upright 2 seconds ago!" He hopped down and dutifully helped me up. I got in the car and he loaded up (again), and we went on our way. But I was so glad I kept the hatch open!

Clark and I have been doing well. Almost the end of the semester! He has been working hard to help me to classes and to run research participants. We are getting our steps in, and that is so phenomenal that we are still walking together without other support. (ED... IT HAPPENS MINUS A WHEELCHAIR )

• Like 1

Good thinking thru on these issues.  They're the professionals and have to figure it out and tell others.  :thumbs:

Here's another scenario:  Dog, cat, or small CHILD is in the vehicle.  Driver goes off to talk to someone or do something ...just for a minute.  Keys are in car...car may or may not be running.  Aforementioned dog, cat or small toddler LOCKS THE VEHICLE.  

I've seen it done with a cat and a little child who could not figure out what all the crazy adults wanted her to do.  Neither did GrayD - the cat.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:  

I've seen that happen on blooper type Youtubes too. A dog puts it's paws up on the door inside to look out the window and steps on the door lock.

I was guilty of doing that with my dog. I'd put her in the car and shut the door then walk around and get in on the drivers side. I didn't know any better or how bad the consequences could be until now.

Then again she was a beagle. If I put her in the car on her side and shut the door with my door still open, she'd be down the street before I could get around to my side. Poor training on my part.

It’s nice to see someone trying to educate people about the dangers of hot cars. 

Around here, every single year, the news repeatedly stresses, with thermometers, that a closed car, in the summer, reaches 170*+. People usually don’t realize how bad it is.

We have the habit of opening the car, turning on the AC on, letting it cool, before allowing the dogs in.  

Because, every year, the news tells how someone took their dog for a walk in the desert and it died of heat stroke.  Our dogs wear their shoes/booties in the summer.  It takes them a few days for them to get used to wearing them,  but, after they get used to them, it seems like they like them.

Grrr lost one, my fault for not velcroing it tight enough, after a couple of steps, he couldn’t figure out if he wanted to stop & get it put back on, or run full tilt hopping on that foot, to the car.  He ran full tilt, and got in the shade of the car, holding that foot off the ground, until I got to him.  

Booties also protect their feet from cactus spines & other nasties.

• Like 2

I usually don't have a problem with a hot car and loading a dog because I park in the garage. But I've gotten in the car that has been in the sun while out running errands and burned my hands on the steering wheel. Seat belt buckles can burn too.

Doggie shoes are so cute. So are the doggie sunglasses - Doggles.

Speaking of doggie accessories, did you know there is a product that you can get for your male dog post surgery?  Neuticles.  :scratchhead: