MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Old Man Winter Cometh

Today was warmer.  Started out the morning at 4 degrees but warmed up to 32, tonight's low is to be 30.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 32 and then a big warming trend for the weekend.  We'll love the warmth but we'll wait for the other shoe to drop.  January and February are our winter months, sometimes even into early March.  Hubby took Abby-girl for a ride in his truck "to do some shopping" at the homestead.  Needed some things to have here to do some more canning.  Gave her some "time away from the cabin"...:cele:

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 2

Another issue is the 'great room' I guess that's what it's called, has a cathedral type ceiling with 2 skylights and 1 ceiling fan. It is TALL so I don't see a stovepipe happening anywhere in that area. The kitchen is galley type so that's out too.

There is one small area to the right of the great room that I'm going to use as a play/school room. It's small with 2 windows on one wall, my bedroom door one another wall and the kitchen entryway on the 3rd wall. Fourth wall is open. It's at the back of the house so I suppose it could be added on to. Sigh. I don't even have a stick of furniture for the house much less the money to add on.  :rolleyes:

I need a sugar daddy WITHOUT benefits.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 1

I think I'm going to have to, Annarchy. I really don't want to but I may not have a choice. Furniture that I saw online over there was so expensive. Way too expensive. Maybe DIL will know of a cheaper place. 

I do have a couple of accent pieces that I'd like to keep like a pie safe sort of thing and a bookcase. Also a big oak chest that I use for a coffee table. I could probably keep a twin size bed for grandson if I clean it up and paint it. By clean it up I mean strip the finish off of it and start over. 

I'm getting so much pressure to get over there that it makes me shut down. Ex keeps saying that I really need to paint before I move any furniture in. Easy for him to say. Crimony, I haven't even got the place cleaned up (cabinets and closets) yet so I can get kitchen etc. stuff put away. I'd like to get their dirt moved out before I move my dirt in. Know what I mean.

What I'd really like to do is go over and spend some time by myself so I can get work done. Nothing happens when we are all together there. No focus. I'm expected to be with them taking it easy all the time I'm there. That will be great...later. 

Pffft, I'm just frustrated and blowing off steam. 

On a positive note, son checked the pipes yesterday and nothing froze. Other than the cold they had, none of the water or toilets had been used so there was some air in the pipes. We forgot about that detail. Yikes. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Another issue is the 'great room' I guess that's what it's called, has a cathedral type ceiling with 2 skylights and 1 ceiling fan. It is TALL so I don't see a stovepipe happening anywhere in that area. 

A friend of mine with an open concept house, a modified A frame with a very high cathedral ceiling much like you describe, put in a wood burning stove out in the center. The chimney was VERY TALL and had, if I recall correctly, 2 bends in it to get through the obstacles to a place on the roof where it could exit safely. It is doable. You may want to have pros install it (I think my friends installed their own, but they were a construction family, so had the needed skills).

• Like 1

Jeepers...you can probably load a larger u-haul just as easy as a small one, so take your stuff!  As for the cleaning...I think I'd be tempted to clean the kitchen, bath and bedroom and put everything in the other rooms and clean them as I needed them.  Live in just those 3 rooms until you're ready to re-arrange things. Just my opinion girl.  Oh, sometimes (if you can find one) you can find some really cheap household stuff at Habitat For Humanity's stores..."Re-Store".  We found our light bars over the sinks for both the bathroom and the kitchen...5$ each...and they're gorgeous.  Also bought a lovely maple wood, 3 panels with mirrors, medicine chest for 25$.  Lots of good bargains if you can find one near you.

• Like 2

Good idea about putting all of my old furniture in one room until I can get it cleaned up. It isn't dirty at all but its just the idea of...I don't know. Just the idea of eating where someone else already did before cleaning up. Or sitting on the pot before I clean it. Don't know who sat there last. Same with the tub. Oh heck no.

• Like 2

Jeepers, I am the same way. When I move, I clean, clean, clean! I always start with bathrooms and the kitchen. If you can afford it, pay for an extra day for the U-Haul to keep your stuff in while you do the initial cleaning. Have a box of cleaning supplies that you pack last and unpack first.

It’s gone from about -44*F windchill earlier this week to about 44*F today. The snow is melting and it’s a bit foggy. My sinuses are letting me know they don’t like such drastic changes in weather. I stood up and got so dizzy I had to sit back down! 

• Sad 1

Jeepers:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/smart-homeowner/things-to-do-when-you-move-into-your-new-home/view-all/

https://www.houselogic.com/buy/moving-in/things-to-do-when-moving-into-a-new-house/

In case you haven't heard of some of these.  ??

Hoping for good weather tomorrow......getting hay dellivery in the morning.  :happy0203:   40 bales so we don't have to lug 3 up onto the roof rack.  BUT...we have to sled the bales over to the hay shed....  :0327:

MtRider  B)   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gorgeous weather here today so we're enjoying it while we can.  Temp was almost 60 degrees.  (why don't keyboards have a degree key!)  Hubby went to florist to get directions for upcoming Valentine Day deliveries.  Owner called a meeting and served everybody pizza.  I'm not a big pizza fan...plus...I needed to resume vacuum sealing my pasta's etc.

• Like 1

Oh geez Mt.Rider thanks for the links! I missed the last few posts here. :misc-smiley-231:

I'm keeping a running list in a binder of things that I want to do in the future and things that I need to do right away. It's growing longer and longer of needs to do.

I just remembered that I saw a little hole in two of the window screens. might as well replace them all. I've done that before so I know I can do it myself. They have that screen stuff where it's hard to see in. Might as well get that while I'm at it. The screen on the front door and back door is brand new. They haven't even been put on yet. Their puppy made shreds out of the old ones.  :lol:

• Haha 2

Very cloudy day...then the temp took a nose dive and had some rain.  I got most of laundry done...still have some "catch up" stuff that need to be washed, but need to get a load.  Can't see running a washer half full of water or using more water than necessary.

• Like 2

Reasons why I life in Texas: I'm wearing my string shoes (basically, a sole that's held onto my feet by strings) again today.

I want to get out into the camper tonight and make sure that everything is still good after some of the freezes that have come through.

• Like 1

TheCG — string shoes? 🙀 Not here! 

We went from warmish (50*’s) yesterday with boot sucking mud - mud so deep and gooey that it tries to suck the boots right off your feet - to freezing. It was in the 20’s over night. The mud froze hard, not just crunchy.

Winter in this part of the Midwest consists of constantly changing weather. Bone chilling cold quickly morphs into mild weather followed by mildly freezing weather, followed by??? 

Next up? Rain and possible flooding. This is why we bought on a hill. Last house was not on a flood plain but nonetheless had flooding issues in weather like this. 

With everything that's been going on, I'm SO thankful for mild weather this past week.  We're in 40's ...almost 50's...mostly during day and that's been melting some of the packed-hard snow that was our driveway.  On a hill with a drop-off to one side....a definite concern but we are now seeing stretches of brown dirt/grit.  :amen:  With the gritty consistency of the ground we walk on here, we don't actually do 'mud'.  Not the gooey stuff but I remember clay from the midwest.  My sympathies, Cowgirl.  Gets everywhere....especially if dogs help! 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

With the gritty consistency of the ground we walk on here, we don't actually do 'mud'.  Not the gooey stuff but I remember clay from the midwest.  My sympathies, Cowgirl.  Gets everywhere....especially if dogs help! 

Mud. Our clay-based loamy soil has the ability to turn into thick, sticky, boot sucking mud. It gets on everything, in everything. Dog paws, dog fur ... basically the dogs get coated with it. Boots, pants, hands ... basically we get coated with it. The mud room becomes a sea of mud. Even sweeping and mopping daily doesn’t suffice. The mud creeps into the main part of the house. The mud dries. Then the fine clay particles can become airborne and blown around with our central heating system and everything gets a fine coat of mud dust. Daily dusting doesn’t suffice. I dust, vacuum, sweep and mop. We change the furnace filter. And still we live with mud. Everywhere. MUD. Midwest country living. 😹

Mud season is NOT my favorite. But, it does make for bounteous plant growth later on in the year, so I guess there’s that! Our land provides a lot of food.

• Like 3

Iced in yesterday and iced again today.  Yesterday wasn't nearly as bad as it's been today.  So we've just hunkered down and stayed off the streets and roads. I spent most of the afternoon canning up some mixed veggies and he surfed the net.  Then we had supper and changed places.  He's watching tv and I'm here...:D checking things out.  Abby?  She's bored, but finally figured it was better in her bed than outside trying to find her spot on the ice :frozen:

Abby had better stay inside as much as possible. She'll freeze her fuzzy little butt off. :grinning-smiley-044:

i don't mind driving in snow but ice is a whole nuther issue. Not much control when you suddenly start to spin out of control. And 4 wheel drive is pretty useless on ice. 

It's been warm here. Up in the high 50's. We've had a lot of fog and rain through and it looks like same for the next few days. 

We've had spurts of BLIZZARD and then SUNSHINE.......  Weird day.  Supposed to go subzero tonite.  :sigh:  Gonna be some heating bill for this winter.

Now we have melted snow....frozen SLICK again....UNDER THE SNOW.  :imoksmiley:Have no loose sand/grit ...even if I find the ice. 

MtRider  :frozen: 

On 2/5/2019 at 9:27 AM, Cowgirl said:

TheCG — string shoes? 🙀 Not here! 

We went from warmish (50*’s) yesterday with boot sucking mud - mud so deep and gooey that it tries to suck the boots right off your feet - to freezing. It was in the 20’s over night. The mud froze hard, not just crunchy.

We had another cold front come through last night.  The high today is now 57F (it was 80F yesterday).

• Like 1

Ice. Yes, hate it. When I lived in Alaska, studded snow tires were the norm and were legal “fall” through most of “spring” — which is all winter there. The snowpack would stay on the roads all winter, melt a little and refreeze, becoming ice.

No one bothered to clear snow in parking lots, which also became icy. So I never went out without my spikes on my boots. And I *still* broke my tailbone.

I miss Alaska sometimes, but I don’t miss the icy snowpack. Here, studded snow tires aren’t legal as they tear up the roads terribly (one reason Alaska’s roads are so bad). So driving on ice here is more dangerous.

I still have and wear my boot spikes, though. Thankfully I don’t need them often. We do get ice here. But it stays for only a short time.