MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Old Man Winter Cometh

Welllll.....we've been hearing the "drum roll" all day, anticipating that ARCTIC BLAST of frigid air that's slipping down the map like spilled syrup.

We still had 20+ degrees and sunshine at noon. Lost the sunshine. At 3PM it's now 10 degrees. I'm beginning now to close up the windows with insulating materials like I do every night.

MtRider ....fortunately we're supposed to get warmer fairly quickly thru the week...but next 36 hrs might be :frozen::frozen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Oh my, Sass! She is gorgeous! Bet that fur is so soft! Tufted ears of the Maine Coons. Old Kitty is only half Maine Coon but she has ear and toe tufts. And the "trill" in her voice at times. Her sister had a lot more Maine Coon classic look and was a long hair. Old Kitty is short hair and stays inside near anything warm in winter ...or summer. 16.5 yrs old.

Yes....this arctic mass will be heading eastward......... :behindsofa:

MtRider ...closed up window coverings early. Was dark anyway. 3 degrees and dropping. :frozen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I had to go to sleep early last night and slept 7 hours and woke at 3am.

It's 6:30am now and the temps are 13F and it's snowing.

Been sitting here studying very simple square foot gardening. ( Making plans for spring and I think the soil mix suggested is generally good for container gardens).

I found a good garden center and will call them later for query on if they deliver this far away, within 50 miles, for topsoil quote. The sewer line digging sure goofed up the dirt situation. It's very good dirt here though, very fine. For springtime estimate for leveling things out. M's DH isn't doing things quickly these days due to health and I know he has been ill so isn't up to as much as he used to be , so this may be more timely, plus could get compost , peat and vermiculite bags delivered at the same time I bet if I placed an order then.

Planning in ground gardening , container gardening indoor and outdoor , and some spots for vertical gardening over time, so plenty of projects , including welcome items for birds, butterflies and bee's for the garden spread out over time. This yard could become very diverse. Lots of areas to set up in a variety of ways that will look nice too.

How I spend my early mornings....

It should not be much snow.

We only got somewhat below zero last nite. The snow covered my thermometer and I didn't get a reading after about midnight. 3" of snow and SUNNY today. W came to plow so driveway is scraped off and................................ :0327: .....just swept off van and goat steps..... :imoksmiley: Good thing it's lite, fluffy stuff. Enough dirt/grit showing that van should make it up the driveway for me tonite. Need the other new back tire and then I'll put on the cable-type tire 'chains'. Then I'll be ok. But old tire...large...special order...$200 per tire! Sheeesh!

Only getting up to 14 degrees and now back down to ten at 2:30pm. 'Nother COLD one tonite and then warmer.

I seriously do not know how I can do any snow removal this season. Hands shaking so bad from just that bit of sweeping...can barely type. Ayiyiyi!

MtRider ....not gonna like winter.... aiiieeee.

:frozen: After staying at -5 degrees till at least 2AM...evidently it took another dive later. DH saw -15 degrees at 10:30AM. :frozen:

I got up an hour later and the sun had warmed things to nearly 20 degrees. :happy0203:

It's still 20 degrees at 2PM so ....that's gonna be our "high" today tho.... :unsure:

MtRider ....stay warm folks!

Edited by Mt_Rider

was 8F this morning, windchill minus 10 F at one point this morning. It was a whole inch of snow..... the other day.

So much for leveling the dozed dirt piles.... might still get it done but it's not in the way of anything at least.

Was M who drove by earlier, she just showed up again.

Going grocery shopping tomorrow.

Wow....so WARM tonite when I fed. No frozen fingers inside gloves.....didn't need gloves. Took off hat too. It was 20 degrees but when it's been near zero.... :knary: Seems lovely!

MtRider .....hearing about a storm coming down from the NW..... :unsure: And salmon crossing the streets due to flooding? :feedme:

Woke after 4 hrs of sleep with a HEADACHE...OW! With my type of headache, I cannot sit...let alone lay down with a bad one. So I got up in the dark and started the pellet stove. Warm is good. It was getting light and looked like a sunny day was beginning.

:blink:

The next time I looked out --- SNOW!

MtRider ..... every time I look out the window...it changes from sunny to snowing. :scratchhead:

It's 32 and snowing here tonight.

I'm going to visit GS on Thursday. We all plan to go Christmas shopping on Friday. It will probably be the last time I see him for a couple of months. A lot depends on the weather. Son doesn't want me out traveling by myself when it's so cold and snowy. To be honest, I don't relish the thought either. It's just too dangerous to go that far and we are both at the mercy of lake effect snows. Mine Lake Erie and his Lake Michigan. Not to mention it's dark by 5:00. I just hope the weather holds out until I get there and back home again.

Yeah, the weather people are saying that the early patterns kind of look like the patterns of that blizzard that hit in 1978 here. I sure hope that they are wrong. :o

It was so nice & warm yesterday, and this morning I looked out and I thought we had heavy fog. NOPE! Snow. :shakinghead: We have just a little on the ground, so it's not horrible. Yet.

My brother was born in Chicago on the one clear day in a blizzard in January, 1979. The hospital heard that Grandma's a nurse and sent them home before they got stranded at the hospital! Wonder if that's the blizzard they're talking about?

First frost on my windshield was December 1. We had snow dusting the ground for a while one day.

Today, the high is 54, and they talked about freezing drizzle, but I haven't seen any of that.

Tomorrow, the high is 70.

Saturday, the high is 70.

Sunday, the high is 31.

One of these things is not like the others...

Usually we notice B I G W I N D here in the springtime. This fall...winter has been super windy. We've had noteworthy WIND for weeks now. Not quite every day. Today is around Mach 4.5 on my 5 point scale. In gusts. It's strangely WARM-ish out there. Yet whenever you have snowcover and wind, there is a cooling effect. 40 degrees on the thermometer tho. Warmest we've had in a while. By tomorrow nite we're supposed to go SUBZERO again. :sigh: DEEP subzero....

Timing a day where vehicles are running and both DH and I are available and not feeling poorly to do another run for hay....has been challenging. We have not found one single day to do this since our first 2 loads.....that ended with vehicle trouble. The old truck is completely down till we can get it towed for a fuel pump replacement. [if not for outrageous windy/cold weather, DH might do it himself.] But the other Must Do is him putting new brake pads on his truck. We had to make a QUICK STOP the other night and the brake-burning stench was bad. Too many Must Do projects and it's not been an agreeable season to do them.

MtRider ...rush, rush, rush ..... :runcirclsmiley2: .....SUBZERO is coming!

Edited by Mt_Rider