MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Old Man Winter Cometh

Woohooo....lookie that green grass!  Sure looks pretty after looking at a very bland scene for months.  Except to startlingly BLUE sky, we're dull olive green pines, tan/browns, and of course WHITE! 

MtRider  :) 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I'm going to email my friend in the middle of MO

Depending on her location....lot's of areas have been and/or are still without power etc.  If you don't get a response it could be that she's out of power?  Kansas City and St. Louis and areas north of there were hit very hard too and were out of power.  My sister was out of power over night and part of the next day, but their house stayed around 60 so they were okay.

• Like 1

Poor Miss B...hubby shoveled his way to get the truck out, but Miss B had to stay put.  He knew it was going to get above freezing and wanted to get as much as he could removed so it would melt, and hopefully not re-freeze and make it an ice alley :-(

Snow Storm 1-11-19.jpg

• Like 1

My MO friend left JUST before it hit...heading to our hometown in east Iowa.  They arrived there JUST before it hit there.  It was trailing them.  She has some family matters to attend to up there...her mom/sister.  She's the one y'all are praying for....and she's staying up there a couple weeks to help her sister due to that compound broken wrist y'all are also praying for.  They called back to their home area and found they do have power but so many do not.  Her dh will be heading for home - "hold down fort" while she's up in IA.   She didn't report eastern IA being that much of a mess.

MtRider  ....y'all be careful, WE2s  

• Like 1

Hubby shoveled a little bit of the homestead's drive...enough for him to get off the road.  That drive is wide and long so he just made room for his truck, and cleared the sidewalk and steps on to the front porch.  Me and Abby-girl stayed put and I jarred up some more 'taters.  Still got more to go...takes awhile to get through a 50# bag! LOL

Tonight we may get some drizzle mix...hope not!  Then this weekend more snow...just when we're about tunneled out!  This isn't supposed to be so much as we got last time, but we've had enough ... and they're saying some really frigid arctic air will attack some people in the northern parts of Mo and Ks.  One thing for sure...should kill out some bugs...ticks and hopefully Japanese Beetles!

• Like 1

Yeah....we're WINDY...not real cold.  But any wind running along our snow picks up :frozen:  a real chill.  Just finished topping up the horse tank.  Weather hitting my brother/niece our east too.  Part of this new system is entering the Utah-Colorado border.  Green/pink/Blue - a nasty mix for travel.  We'll plan to be back home before it gets to us....  :unsure:   Guess we'd better hurry!  Fast is the word on this one.

MtRider  :wave:

It's supposed to sink into the twenties sometime this weekend, possibly tomorrow night.  My son's housemates are coming over tomorrow afternoon to move the avocados and other really sensitive plants onto the front porch.

• Like 1

Today was cold, foggy and just plain dreary.  Temp did get up enough to start melting "some" of the snow so we've got a lot of mud where the ground has thawed or we've shoveled.  But...they say it's headed our way, just not as much.  When looking at the maps it changes almost hourly.  Hubby worked some more on the bathroom project and I just did the rest of the laundry.  He came home with a bag...he had stopped at the $Tree store and found candy cane boxes, 25c a box so he brought me home four boxes.  Guess I'll be vacuum sealing them in some of my jars.  Hard candies are nice to have in a pinch.

• Like 2

Twenties, Ambergris?  Whoa!  Are you allowed to light smudge pots.....or the cheapo equivalent:  burning tires?  Yeah, tires stink but they burn a long time.  How deep into Florida's groves is that supposed to go?  :(

We've got Doppler blue [snow] marks scattered allll over CO.  Not right over our piece of real estate at the moment.

MtRider  ..... :sigh: 

Still just foggy, dreary and wet.  Thing's are melting and making a lot of muddy spots.  There's supposed to be another winter storm moving through the central mid west but not sure what we'll get.  We just never really know.  We're planning to hunker down again tomorrow and see what Sunday brings. 

Frigid here...that's the only way to describe it!  Spit a little bit of snow this morning so we really were blessed.  Far to our south they're in a mess with snow and ice, far to our north they're digging out again, and to our east and west...just a mess.  We live in our own little "Moses Path"...never can rely on too many forecasters.  Supposed to have a wind chill tonight of -13 and that's cold. But, it's January and that along with February is our usual winter. 

Decided not to go out and eat for my belated birthday.  Just too cold and I needed to get the turkey/chicken stock done.  I had saved two chicken carcasses in the freezer so I just pitched them into the roaster with the turkey carcass.  Hubby got out to fix friends lighting problem.  She won't be back for 3 months (she's in Madrid as an assistant teacher) so she relies on hubby to take care of her tenant's apartment upstairs.

• Like 1

Brrr. It's so cold outside. It's down to 4 degrees and I think I need to take the Jeep around the block. I don't think I've started it for a couple of days and it's been below freezing for last few days. I don't want go!  LOL.  But I'd hate for the battery to die even worse. What to do...what to do.

Since I didn't have supper tonight and our Burger King is open until midnight and Taco Bell until 3:00am, I might as well make a night of it. Vanilla coke from BK and a taco salad from TB.

It just dropped another degree. I guess I'll go before it gets in the minus range. :frozen:

• Like 3

Be safe all of you in the cold zones.  We're about to get hit with yet another system.....snow by Tues.  I'm quite tired of January already. 

MtRider  .....shoveling dirt onto ice and even using hay to disrupt icy surface. 

• Like 1

Jeep started but it balked a little on the first crank. I had to use the 4 wheel drive to get out of the end of the driveway. Thanks snow plow guy. I fell in the snow. It was kind of funny actually. My mailbox is turned from the snow plow...again and I took ahold of it to give it a quick jerk and my hand slipped off and I went down in a big snow drift. It was nice and fluffy but cold! I looked like a big ole turtle stuck on its back flailing around. That's why I do outside stuff after dark when I can. I know me. There's probably a big 'snow angel turtle' out there. I'm not looking while it's still daylight.

We have over a foot of snow. I put those marker sticks along the driveway so the snow plow guy wouldn't turf me. He buried them under the snow. I'm sure they are broken. At least they are old. Men! That's why I can't have nice things. Can't wait to move. Hoping and praying this is my last winter here.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

..shoveling dirt onto ice and even using hay to disrupt icy surface. 

I read that dumping wood ash on ice will stop one from slipping at all.  Haven't tried it yet and you may already know it, but thought I would share.

We've found that wearing "TRAX" over our boots/shoes helps a lot.  I haven't had to use them this year because I haven't been out, and we've got snow...not much ice. Today we got out and picked up some eggs from Aldi's and some chips.  Then to $Tree for some children's aspirin and some Carmex.  Then back home.  Abby-girl got to "dance" around on her back seat and get a bit of exercise.  

13 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

I read that dumping wood ash on ice will stop one from slipping at all.  Haven't tried it yet and you may already know it, but thought I would share.

Yeah, I've heard that too, Miki.  We do get some fine, gritty stuff from the pellet stove.  Not a lot as you do with a real wood stove.  We use it on the driveway if there will be sun....even just being dark color makes an increase in solar melting.  But these areas are water every day and ices again every nite.  A CO thing....never seen it's like elsewhere.  Due to vast temperature ranges within every 24 hr period.  50* during the day sends a lot of water into low spots.   Then sun goes down and temps go down in the teens.  So when I 'sand' the ice towards evening, and the next afternoon there is AGAIN a puddle of water....the sand has all gone to the bottom.  So you have to 'sand' daily.  At least the hay bits float.  Messes up the VERY smooooth slick ice.  If I time it right, I can mess up the ice just with my boots,  if it's not fully frozen.  Just so it's not freezing in a perfectly slick surface.  ....then do it again the next evening.  No ZAMBONI needed here!!!  :rolleyes:    I did switch to my boots with the best soles.  But sheer ice is a 'nother critter entirely.  AND it keeeeeps snowing on top so a lot of ice is now hiding.  Tonite I slipped x3 and 'took a knee' on one of them.  As long as I don't do a backwards pancake maneuver.....  :imoksmiley:

We used ice trax for a while but with these severe hillsides, they kept peeling off the boots when we'd slide sideways.  Tried several different types.  Wrapped them with more straps and cords.  :shrug:    Ice crampons might work  :whistling:  We haven't had a melt-thaw-snow-repeat winter for a while.  I'm not enjoying the reruns.  

Jeepers....I cannot believe your mean snowplow guy.  :blink:  Obviously on purpose  :fryingpan:   Last winter for that nonsense!  

MtRider   .....it's snowing....no, it stopped......no, now it's snowing again  :frozen:  

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Cold...cloudy...and windy.  Abby-girl and I took a ride with hubby to pick up the furnace part since the store was about 30 miles closer than he thought!  I didn't get out of the truck except when we ran into McD's to grab a dollar sandwich and to share a dollar drink, just ate on the way, but let Abby-girl squat, eat a few kibbles and have a drink before we got back on the road. Sorta funny, she took about 3 seconds to "find her spot"...she knows cold! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A bit warmer today and tomorrow is supposed to get up to 40...WOW!  Then it's supposed to turn back cold.  Gonna take a drive to see my dad and step-mum tomorrow afternoon before it turns off cold again.  I don't get to see him as much during the winter because they live somewhat isolated and on a gravel road.