MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Old Man Winter Cometh

Yesterday, it rained the night before, humidity, then cooled down with a brisk wind off and on all day. Our high only got up to 57*. By 6:00 pm it was in the low 40’s. This morning 32* on the outside of the house. The heat pump keeps going into de-icing mode, blowing cold air through the house. :rolleyes:  I made sure to cover the plants, hopefully they will survive. 

I don’t envy any of you dealing with the frigid, icy, snowy weather. Brrrrr.....

• Like 1

Woke to MINUS 9*   .....sun came out.  During feeding it got up to a BALMY 20*.  BUT a fierce, bitter WIND caused it to feel a lot colder.

:sigh:  Then the sun went away and temps began to erode....  So now at 2pm there is still a fierce, bitter WIND at 11* and no sun. 

MtRider  ....who is trying very hard to avoid ice and NOT break a tailbone [ouch!]  :frozen: 

• Like 2

This is our third day of being iced in...much more ice last night and this morning, then some snow on top of that.  We're absolutely not getting out in this.  We have "TRAX" that we can put on our boots etc., but it's just not worth taking a chance of falling at our age and we don't need to take a chance with our truck.  Sirens were going on and off all day, probably people trying to get to work etc.  They have got some of the major city streets safe enough to drive slowly on, but the side streets etc. are treacherous.  It's really amazing...we were talking today about how we've been living mostly out of our pantry for 2 months (paid real estate taxes etc.) so we could catch up with our finances.  Especially nice now since the weather has been so bad.  Glad we have enough here to carry us through for quite some time since we don't want to try to get to the homestead.

• Like 4

Stay safe We2's one slip and a broken hip would be disastrous at our age. Nothing out there is worth chancing that nightmare. I know you are well prepared though. 

We are getting rain rain and more rain. We just had a heavy wind storm blow through. They said thunder storms by tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Brrr. It is about 12*F outside, so not THAT bad, right? But the wind is 21 mph.  That wind makes it feel COLD. It is icy. So I had to be cautious doing chores. 

• Like 3

Day #4 of staying put, but all is well here.  Yes Jeepers,  we are pretty well prepped.  Could probably last about 2 more weeks if needed, but tomorrow is supposed to be a bit warmer so maybe some of this ice will melt and we can go check the homestead.  The high was only 6 so nothing melted today except some places where the sun was shining directly on it.  Had to take a hammer to knock off some of the ice on our re-cycle container so we could put our stuff in.  The regular container was ok.  Abby sure doesn't like all those prickly grass stems! :laughkick:

• Haha 1

They are prickly!  Hearing your MO reports, WE2, I contacted my MO friend.  First she got stuck in Iowa.  She was up there to help sister with badly broken wrist/hand.  [the one we're praying for].  And visiting her mom who usually knows who folks are by now.  :(   Was planning to return to MO when Iowa got buried under 2' of snow.  Schools out all over the state.  So finally her dh was able to come up and get her....just ahead of this current ICE that you've been reporting.  But...she's home, safe, has plenty of preps ...tho with dh home alone, the fridge stuff might be quite low.  :rolleyes: 

Stay safe and :pray: that all is well at the other 2 places.

MtRider  :imoksmiley: 

Was able to get out today for a little while, but had to come back in the alley (our only way to back of house driveway/carport) a bock away.  We were able to get out our regular way but there's a big hump from the alley to the street and then a sharp left (or right) turn.  Can't come back in that way.  Everything was ok at homestead.  Picked up several bags of foods that I plan to jar up these next few days.  Put them in our 5 day cooler...LOL...as if we need to!  Didn't go to the Roost...too far and they don't keep the side streets very maintained there and didn't want to chance sliding off.  The driveway there is VERY steep uphill!  

• Like 1

Temp got to 34 so some of ice started melting but there's still plenty left to slip and fall on...so...a 5th day hunkered down.  They're calling for another round for the next 2 or 3 days...I think an adversary is angry with our state because our leaders have taken such a stand against infanticide.  Winter?  Stay tuned! :pray::frozen:

• Like 1

Aw Cowgirl, I think the snow is beautiful too. 

It warmed up to the high 20's here but it felt colder than when it was below zero. I finally have up and went to bed with the heating pad just to get warm. It seemed strange. Maybe because the furnace isn't kicking on as often? It's definitely colder in here though. 

• Like 1

Yesterday was another "hunker down" day.  That makes quite a few days of learning what it would truly be like in a life changing situation if one had to stay put for several days.  Lets you see your vulnerable areas.  Sleet, rain, sleet, rain all day...but...it did melt a lot of the ice.  Leaves a lot of water puddling though!  Today was much nicer.  High was about 38 so it melted more of the ice.  There's still plenty left where the sun isn't hitting it.  Hubby worked on the bathroom project this afternoon while I took care of some food preservation.  Tomorrow it's supposed to be nice (hopefully no rain) and for that we'll be grateful since we're delivery Valentine flowers tomorrow and maybe Thursday.  We really enjoy spending that do together, seeing smiles on other's faces and making a few dollars while we're at it.  The florist we deliver for is a wonderful family and they treat us quite often with lunch and sometimes even doughnuts and drinks in the mornings when we get there. 

• Like 3

Clouds are building, supposed to rain tomorrow for a few days. I’ve been able to get things ready for it. It’s not cold like you all are getting, but rain here stops a lot of things. We get flash floods, making any travel treacherous, most roads have some type of wash/gully that fills up. 

Temp.  today is around 50*

• Like 3

Snow, rain, thunderstorms (did not used to be the norm in February here), more snow, rain, ice, melting, rain, frigid, ice. 

The weather is ..... 

confused.

Stay warm. Stay dry. Stay safe. 

• Like 1

Wednesday and Thursday it was beautiful...60 ish...then Thursday late afternoon the temp dropped like a rock and this morning it started snowing big time, and in just a few hours we managed to get about 4 inches or so?  Not going outside to measure!  Lots of traffic accidents all over the state and roads closed.  We just stayed put...again.  Glad we did get out for some sunshine for a couple of days, really needed it.  I took this pic when it was about 3 inches deep but it kept snowing after that.

101_0965 Snow Storm 2-15-10  two to five.jpg

Another winter blast hit Missouri on Friday, causing more than 100 accidents, closing schools and leaving highway experts to warn motorists to avoid travel unless absolutely necessary.

Several sections of Interstate 70 between Kansas City and Columbia were particularly treacherous. The Missouri State Highway Patrol said on Twitter that one person died in a crash involving at least 15 vehicles near Oak Grove, 27 miles east of Kansas City. The patrol did not immediately provide further information on the wreck.

Dzd98NDVYAAiqt5.jpg

• Sad 1

Those pictures really tell a story. We've had a little more snow but mostly just lots of cold wind. 

It's playing havoc with my neck and migraine. Today the old sciatic nerve decided to make itself known. Unusual because it's usually on the right and this time it's on the left. I'm so thankful I can stay home and watch some videos and read and get a little bit of relief from some Advil and a heating pad. I remember all to well the days I had to get up and go to work anyway. 

• Sad 2

Still cold and wintery.  Had some light "bits" floating around this morning but nothing staying.  Calling for 2-4" more inches Tuesday.  Really learning the importance of being able to shelter in place...for over a week now...and having plenty of food to feel normal.  Will try to get out tomorrow to check on properties and maybe pick up a few more staples from the homestead.  I'm sure glad we picked up five cartons of shelf stable milk from $Tree last time we shopped!  

• Like 3

Cold...er here, highs in the 50’s, lows in the low 30’s. Hard freeze warnings and several inches of snow falling in northern AZ.  Feels like winter. This morning, 48* and intermittent sprinkles.  I expected frost on everything after that forecast. :shrug:

High today was 27 but no bad stuff.  Do have another storm front that's supposed to move in tomorrow night so we took advantage of the lull and got out.  There's still a lot of snow on the ground so we had to be careful coming and going into our driveways. 

• Like 1