MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Jeepers

Old Man Winter Cometh

1 hour ago, Annarchy said:

News is saying 90-100mph winds. 

Hopefully they still have power...and she'll check in shortly.

• Like 1

WE are fine.......  :0327:    The electric stayed on.  :amen:     Satellite dish ....I could brush snow off with a long-handled thing out the living room window.  The other part that points at the dish had ICE......and that shut down our Internet.  Including news and weather and my DOPPLER.  :sassing:   Was thinking of a ladder and my hair dryer.....  

The storm did NOT miss us.....  :yar:   Thankfully, we had only our usual IMPRESSIVE WINDS...but they came from BOTH the North and the East....which messes up the horses shelter.  :runcirclsmiley2:   We NEVER get wind from the east cuz that's our high ridge! 

AND....we got double the snow that was predicted for us... :unsure:   We're veterans of blizzards from the Midwest:  Iowa, Minn...and Colorado plains.  We've dealt with 2+ FEET of snow on many occasions.  This was a "mere" eighteen-wind-blown-inches.  BUT WE WERE YOUNG THEN!  :imoksmiley:  

AND...dear W did TRY TO PLOW OUR DRIVEWAY.....  Tried to run UP the drive and plow down.  On the 3rd unsuccessful try,  he got stuck backing down.  Ground is no longer frozen.  He never got UP.  So we have one vehicle down near road ...where he did successfully plow.  Remember why I said we do that?  This IS NOT OUR FIRST RODEO.  :grinning-smiley-044:   The car is up here, stranded on the other side of very deep snow for......300 feet?  DH and Koa walking down and up for feeding.  Drag sled with duck water.  {good grief, the hose for horse water is under all those DRIFTS...HIGHER THAN 18".}

We'll wait till spring.....which we were having, actually when WINTER did an encore.  :tapfoot: 

Remind me to tell you of the CHAOS with the horses....  "All's well that ends well"  ....Caroline Ingalls   ....but speaking of "rodeo"  :buttercup:  

Thankful we were not out on the CO flatlands out east.  They've got a MESS.  Trying to sort out abandoned cars.  Found 2 folks ...one died/other recovering from severe hypothermia.  The blizzard we survived with LOTS of horses down there decades ago....quite a number of people died.  Tons of livestock died. 

I haven't heard any other deaths so far, in THIS storm.

MtRider  ....tooooooo tired for more.  We're still buried EVERYwhere...  :offtobed: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 1

Sorry that Colorado has been hit so hard.  Even though most know how to deal with it, it's still very difficult.  Our day was very pleasant...except for the high winds!  Lots of the state is experiencing flooding though. 

Strong wind all day yesterday, here.  I suppose it’s because they say, the temp will be in the 80’s next week. 50’s to 80’s in 3 days...Seems every time the temp changes rapidly, the winds blow. 

Glad to hear you are okay Mt. Rider!

It was snowing in Indiana today and it continued into Ohio as I was driving home. It won't last long because it has been warm and will be in the 40+ this week but sheesh. Ever since I hydroplaned and did a 180 in the middle of a street, I've been kind of skittish about driving on newly wet pavement.

• Like 1

Well finally yesterday, DH was able to drive his car down the driveway.....go to town to get cell messages/a few groceries.  Also made it back up....the second attempt.  I'd used the time he was gone to clear snow from where he parks - lot of deep snow all around his car.  :0327:  Then scraped a path on the steepest part of the driveway....so if he didn't make it back to the very top, we'd have a safe path to carry stuff.  NEEDED THAT!  Only made the hill until the steepest part.  Can't believe how many directions the car faced as he "swam" up the gushy snow/ice.  Later he backed car down and shoveled a second drive-path for the wheels and improved on mine.  Let sun work on it and then he could make it back up to parking space. 

Today he went down and up in morning.  Late afternoon --- lot of sunshine :D  -- he tried to position car to go down the driveway again.  It's a tighter-than-right angle right turn to go down driveway... with a drop-edge.  So you have to pull forward/back/turn/back/go....   But that wasn't gonna happen....just kept sliding in circles.  Well YEAH!  He tried it when the 6" of snow is all greasy with melt under it.  Morning and nite....after it gets cold again... are the only times he'll be able to maneuver up here.  I'm not bringing truck up till this top is fully melting.  ....again. 

Today.....I was flattened! :faint3:   It all caught up and this was indeed a Day of Rest!   :amen:    HE has a pretty good idea with that, dontcha think?

MtRider  :pc_coffee:  

• Like 1

DH was able to shovel the sunny side of the parking area up top.  ....Course there is spotty snowshowers in this week's forecast.  But getting down to dirt again is good!  A lot has melted from hillsides.  I took this day off too.  By tonite I'm feeling much more normal.  It's been quite a lot of physical labor for days and :faint3:  I was all done in!  Glad we had sunny days ...give a chance to catch up. 

MtRider  :frozen:  B)  

• Like 1

It went over 80 yesterday & today. The forecast says, dropping into the 70’s then 90’s next week.  

It almost got up to 50 degrees here. I saw my first robin today. It usually snows a couple of times after that. The ground is pretty warm so whatever we get, if we get any, shouldn't stick around. Famous last words?!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.