MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Old Man Winter Cometh

I believe it made it to 24 but windchills were below 10 most of the day. A fog settled here overnight and much of NE is dealing with slicker surfaces , clear ice formed from this fog condensation on every surface that is flat. Like my porch steps..... and oh, shame on me I completely forgot to add ice melt to my basket shopping on Friday. Oops. It won't snow til tomorrow morning. So much for retrieving trash can or going to check the mail box.

I have heard only 3 vehicles all day other than trash truck today...... yep, its slicker than....... :imoksmiley: so I have been unpacking boxes..... did pretty good. Found all my back pack and camping stuff.

Found my snow boots and some other shoes I need.

Still have not found the box with my daily clothes in it but found my ski jacket. I have another cold weather jacket. I wonder if I can wash the ski jacket? It's a nice jacket.

I found a lot of my sewing material. :)

I found my cheese cloth, but I need to order that stuff to coagulate the cheese, rennet.

I did not yet find my heavy duty leather mittens and ice trax bag! ( Had to be in one of the far back boxes of course! ) I really need those ice trax, lol.

I did find some of my sock dpns, yarn and some worsted yarn. Some of the knitting tack so I can do cables again. Found all my wagon parts and some flannel sheets i think fit a double bed!

I was not happy about how my archery equipment was packed ..... seriously ticked about that.

But quite a bit did get unpacked and mostly settled and I can work on pepping my backpack bob set up.

My compass is completely the opposite ........ will have to replace it. Or can you fix those?

I found my edible plants book.

And Clan of the Cave Bear book, which would be good weekend reading , it wont warm up til Monday afternoon according to forecast.

Forecast is 2 inches or so of snow Christmas Day.

You're getting there, Sass. Lots of unpacking and putting stuff away.

If you need to get down those ICY stairs, you can sprinkle on regular table salt. A light coating straight from the Morton box will get you a safe path. Do be careful until the sunshine comes back and melts you off again.

We had a very warm-ish day here. Windy but not bad. Couple snow squalls by sunset. But still 28 degrees 2 hrs after dark.

MtRider .... :unsure: waiting for whatever front is coming from the West --- supposed to be VERY COLD!

Edited by Mt_Rider

MtRider .... :unsure: waiting for whatever front is coming from the West --- supposed to be VERY COLD!

<Snip>

Weather prediction says we are supposed to get to 28* !!??

I'll cover my perennials tonight.

Clouds are whisking west to east and a cold breeze is making 47 feel colder than it is.

Yesterday, it warmed up to above 70 and we received a few light rain showers. We got a short heavy rain with strong winds last night.

Okay, will use the table salt. Just need to keep enough to bake with...... thanks. ( Feels stupid, brain blips when deal for ice melt was great compared to hardware store situation here.) Next month I will get that and a bag of sand. I prefer to use sand on ice anyway.

It is very cold windchill..... 2F degrees and -8F windchill......

Rather glad I have plenty to do inside today, as well as I can simply go wash my hair!

We eventually dipped down to MINUS 10. Plus 4" of snow. {so glad we did hay yesterday} Now at noon it's coming up to ZERO and the sun is playing tag with the light snow clouds.

:sigh: Gotta go out and kill my body sweeping/shoveling snow....so we can move both vehicles for the snow plow friend coming soon.

MtRider ....

Stayed inside yesterday and let the winter weather cometh...some sleet, some icy rain and about an inch of snow. A great de-icer for car windows and other things is to mix a spray bottle of 2 cups of alcohol and 1 cup of water. Much cheaper than paying high dollars for de-icers. Did get out today for awhile to take care of some things and stopped at Aldi's for some things I wanted for the pantry. Several of us friends are getting together Thursday evening for a Christmas party, and the host is making white chili. I'm making some facciccia bread. Heading for a hot shower shortly!

It warmed up, a lot, went up beyond forecast supposedly...... in the forties though, for sure. Breezy outside.

Evidently some county near by had fires, range fires... It is still very dry despite some bits of rain and snow the last several weeks. Wind just dries it all out again.

It was/is raining off and on all night. The forecast says it will rain today and tomorrow it will clear up, then another, bigger, storm will come through on Saturday.

That being the case, DH is hoping for a white Christmas. :shrug: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..... :whistling:

Snow...hmph! Y'all want ours? They kept saying "no snow predicted until Christmas...and then only a slight chance." :cele: That was fine with me. Already got plenty to keep the wildfires at bay and may even be giving the ground some needed moisture. But...today we're getting snow and the forecast STILL says 'clear skies'. :shakinghead:

I saw the bunches and bunches of rain/T storms in far SW ...CA, AZ, NM, NV last nite. Hoped it would slide laterally toward TX. :grinning-smiley-044:

MtRider .... :sigh: DH is never gonna get those brake pads changed. Need a garage to work inside!

Getting rain and fog, which is better than fog and ice! 47F currently, up to 57F forecasted. I am not complaining and the fog should lift better as the day goes on.

Be safe if you are traveling today! Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to folks who celebrate!

It's supposed to be 42 here but it's only 34. Tomorrow is supposed to be 61 with rain. 61 degrees the day after Christmas? I'm loving the low gas bill and no snow plowing but I wonder what might be in store down the road. It was very mild last winter too though.

Well I'll be darn. It did get up to 60 here today. So far no rain so that's good. We did have some wind last night but it wasn't bad. The bottom is supposed to fall out tonight and drop down into the 30's. Nice while it lasted. My checkbook appreciates it more than I do though.

Aww, Jeepers. I can't believe all you having rain instead of snow during Christmas/New Years.

Reached 30 briefly today. Tomorrow maybe low 40's. But once the sun goes down..... :frozen::frozen::frozen: Single digits!

MtRider .....another 'work on vehicles' day tomorrow. June would be a better time for vehicles to come to pieces, huh? :rolleyes:

Edited by Mt_Rider