MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Social Security Office

Sorry it's kind of long so take a bio break and grab a drink. What a morning. I spent over 2 hours at the Social Security office just to get 10 questions answered.

First I went on line last night to make sure I had the correct address. I did. I figured I needed an appointment so I was going to call for one. I couldn't find the number anywhere. The government office (that I pay for) has to have a phone! So I finally found an 800 number. Some local places do have an 800 number. So I called. After a few automated questions I had to put in my zip code to find the nearest office. I already knew that but I played along. After trying to get the correct extension, I hit the number for 'other'. Then I said "appointment". By this time I have spent an hour on line trying to find a phone number for the local office and on the phone trying to get an appointment. The automated voice told me that there is no phone number for that office. WHAT? My S.S. office does not have a phone number? True.

Their office hours on Wednesday are 9:00am until noon. It was early so I decided to go on over. I got there at about 9:15 and when I checked in I was number 90 and the place was packed. My back and neck were already aching and I didn’t want to sit down so I stood against the wall. Soon the security guard came over by me and sat down at the desk. Long story short, we struck up a conversation. A really nice guy who looked to be in his late 60’s. I asked if it was always this crowded. He said that was normal and sometimes worse. Average waiting time is over 2 hours every day. He also said that it is the worst office in this area. They are understaffed by 6 people and they can’t hire more because of a government freeze or something like that. I told him about my woes trying to find a number to call for an appointment and ‘the voice’ told me there is no phone number for that office. He said he knew that and then handed me a piece of paper with a phone number on it. I looked at him and smiled and he said it’s the phone number to that office. Wow. So they do have a number but only certain people can have it. If you go in and the security guard likes you, you are allowed the number. Unbelievable.

He was telling me all about his job there. First he was surprised that the little suburban office needed an armed security guard. He soon found out why. People begin to get impatient and if they are told answers they don’t want to hear some go ballistic. He said it’s amazing the number of people who come in there hopped up on drugs. They are the worst because they are so unpredictable. He said some of the language irate people use is downright vile…and with children around. He said so many people seem to want to show off a “Thug Mentality” instead of manners and common courtesy. Like they are proud to be rude. A lot of words entered my mind at that point such as TV, Internet, Rap Music, Entitlement, etc.

He told me that he is not allowed to enter or exit the building in his uniform. He has to change there. The reason is for his own safety. People are crazy and if they see a uniform outside of the building they might think it is local police and it might set them off. He said he has had to handcuff numerous people and he has drawn his gun there.

We talked all about guns and the good and bad ones, in his opinion, and the different shooting ranges around here. He was telling me about his and his preferences. He said he has one in about every room in his house but said that if someone comes in and steals his gun and uses it in a crime he can be held responsible because…it wasn’t tucked away in a locked safe. I said, “I live in a world I no longer understand.” He looked at me like I was a genius. We had just bonded. B)

Two hours after I arrived I got called back and got all of my questions answered. It took about 10 minutes. If I would have had an appointment…or a PHONE NUMBER!

I understand why they don’t want a bunch of phone calls tying up the workers there and taking away time from people who make the effort to actually come in. But, they could have a line for making appointments only.

One little thing that kind of irked me was I wanted to know what my benefits would be at 64.5, 65 and 66. I’m 64.5 now. He wanted to know why I wanted to know that. I told him if I found out that I had cancer or something catastrophic like that, I would want to start taking my benefits now not wait until I’m dead and miss out on everything. He asked me if I had cancer. I told him no but if I did I’d want to start my benefits now. Not that it’s any of his business. I didn’t say that last part but I thought it.

Something else I learned is if my D-ex dies, I can get a little extra from something called “Divorced Widow Benefits”. I’ve never heard of that. Divorced widow seems like a contradiction in terms but whatever.

So, that was my morning at Crazy Town today.

When I came to CO from HI, I needed to get on SSDI. No question that my working days were long over. I was SO ill from pushing thru the last couple years. So I began to call the SS office TO GET AN APPOINTMENT. I literally burned out the re-dial button on my phone. No one ever answered the phone....weeks. It was always "busy". {uh, huh}

I was so ill that I'd put something in the crockpot in the morning or we did not have supper. It was all I could do. Slept thru most afternoons. Trying to make up for working a bit too long with MS. Burned out. So traveling way across town and waiting .....stories of people who waited yet went home at their closing hour ....never having talked to someone. I could not physically do that.

So I got an idea. Called my state representative. Didn't talk to him....but explained my situation to his office staff. THEY called SS office and made them call me.....TO GET AN APPOINTMENT. :cele:

I did have to wait a long time at the standing-room-only waiting room. I had a wheelchair tho. DH didn't. I lock up if I'm in one position too long...especially in those pre-horse days. But finally we did get in....and get the process started for disability. A looooong and cruel process. I'm fortunate tho. I only know one other person besides me who actually got accepted on the first try...without hiring a lawyer. Now....pretty much have to hire lawyer.

What a 'racket' <_<

So glad you got in and got your answers, Jeepers. Make friends with security guard....hey, probably made his day to talk to a POLITE and SENSIBLE person. And....you got the number that "does not exist"! :woohoo:

MtRider ....if you're seriously unable to deal with long waits....esp for just an appointment, call your state rep. :shrug:

Something else I learned is if my D-ex dies, I can get a little extra from something called “Divorced Widow Benefits”. I’ve never heard of that. Divorced widow seems like a contradiction in terms but whatever.

So, that was my morning at Crazy Town today.

That is the type of benefit I receive. I was always a "stay-at-home-mom" and had no personal benefits to draw from, so my disability payment amount is based on my DH's last quarter income. (I need to add on oops here. We were in the process of getting a divorce when he died, but since we were married for more than 15 years I believe I would still have been eligible for the same benefits I am now receiving.)

Midnightmom, I was married just over 28 years. But legally you were still married and a true widow. I still need about 12 credits but I'll be collecting from his because he makes more than I ever could. I was a stay at home mom most of the time too. You have to be married for 10 years to collect from a spouse/ex-spouse social security. I just have trouble wrapping my mind around being the "widow" of an ex-spouse. Especially if they have remarried. Current wife should be the widow...in my mind.

No wonder S.S. is going broke. A person could realistically be married 4-5 times for 10 years each time and have 4-5 different people collecting off of one beneficiary plus the earner when he/she retires. Not counting any minor children that could be left. Add to that widow benefits for each ex-spouse assuming they didn't remarry. Oh wait. They can remarry and be divorced for a year and still collect off of the first ex-spouse.

So if D-ex remarries and then dies, he could have two widows show up at his funeral. Oh my. That really puts the fun in FUNeral. :24:

Incase anyone is interested:

I also found out that my benefit amount froze when D-ex turned 66 years old. He is 69 and still working. If he works until 70 (he will) he gets an added 32% added to his monthly check. That's 8% added for each year worked after 66 years old. He love his work and is not looking forward to retirement at all. Anyway, his working longer doesn't effect my benefit income. Darn.

When I was a kid, my mom was the fed lady. Sometimes she was a claims rep, sitting behind one of the desks in that noisy office, and sometimes she was a field rep going to people's homes to see how they really live. And sometimes she'd have to go to the prisons one day a week, meaning we had to get extra shots all the time. I got an earful several times a week.