MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dogs vs. Antifreeze

Jeepers

This was in the daily news letter I get from the Dane place. Just a small warning (unless it happens to your pet) about the dangers of antifreeze that could be leaking from your car. It probably dries up quickly in your driveway or garage but not so in a puddle. Her grammar and spelling are ...unique. Sorry for the caps but it's easier for her because of her eyesight.

I've never heard of pet safe antifreeze but if all it takes is adding a bitter additive then I'm all for it. Since it's sweet tasting it could help save a child's life too.

Seventeen states (Arizona, California, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin) had previously passed laws mandating the inclusion of a bittering agent in antifreeze, but multiple attempts to pass a federal law had failed. The HSLF estimates that between 10,000 and 90,000 animals are poisoned each year after ingesting ethylene glycol in antifreeze and engine coolant.

From Carlene:

"AND THEN THERE IS ANTIFREEZE--- YOU ALL KNOW IT IS FATAL TO DOGS-- AFFECTS THEIR KIDNEYS--SO TODAY I WILL GET ON MY TRUSTY TRACTOR AND SPREAD STONE DUST ALL OVER THE UPPER DRIVE... BECAUSE I NOTICED SIZZLE STOP TO DRINK OUT OF A PUDDLE WITH JUST A LITTLE MORE ENTHUSIASM THAN NORMAL-- IT TRIGGERED... I HAVE SEEN HER DO THAT BEFORE.... SAME SPOT-- WHICH JUST HAPPENS TO BE WHERE THE UPS/FEDEX TRUCKS STOP TO FILL THE PURPLE DOGHOUSE WITH PACKAGES...... I STOPPED HER FROM DRINKING VERY QUICKLY-- BUT I WONDERED... MAYA BEING SMALLER-- HAD SHE DISCOVERED THAT SPOT?

NOW THAT I HAVE HAD THAT THOUGHT I WANT TO BE SURE THE FEW CARS WHO PARK "UP HERE" HAVE PET FRIENDLY ANTIFREEZE IN THEIR RADIATORS...

THAT IS JUST A REMINDER TO ALL YOU DOG PEOPLE-- KEEP YOUR EYE ON WHERE YOU PARK CARS..."

P.S.

Maya and Sizzle are still puppies. Maya is fine now but was mysteriously ill for a week or two.

I can see where it will be a bigger problem in the spring when the snow melts and spring rain brings lots of puddles.

SDP is having a lot of industrial size equipment right now because they are putting up a new building. It's the one the neighbors complained about because we all called it a hospital instead of an infirmary. Basically an isolation unit. It's only for the dogs who live there already that get sick and need to be isolated in a building that can be bleached down. One round of parvo put it on the fast track.