MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chicken score

My son's girlfriend and I wanted to make up some freezer meals. There is a meat processing place in my town where you can buy meats in bulk, We've never been there before but friends recommended the place.

We got 40 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.59 a pound. We got 18 meals from that 40 pounds of chicken and I"m sure there will be enough leftovers for at least one lunch the next day.

All the chicken is raised and processed in the US.

I'm happy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Son and his girlfriend are keeping their half of the freezer meals in my freezer because of lack of space at their place.

They came over and got 4 meals and then son, after asking me what side dishes to make with each meal goes into my pantry and "shops"for the ingredients for the side dishes.

Guess he's helping me keep my stock rotated,

Son and his girlfriend are keeping their half of the freezer meals in my freezer because of lack of space at their place.

They came over and got 4 meals and then son, after asking me what side dishes to make with each meal goes into my pantry and "shops"for the ingredients for the side dishes.

Guess he's helping me keep my stock rotated,

Hopefully he ask if he could "shop"...

• 2 months later...

Did the chicken thing yesterday -  found chicken thighs at a good price, took a batch home.  Skinned, de-boned and froze the meat; roasted the bones & put in freezer for bone stock, and am slow-cooking the skins today for fat to chill and skim off what I call 'white broth' (very mild).  The dogs love the cooked skins as treats.  The only thing is I cant seem to keep enough bones and skin 'in stock'  and the broths go very fast.