MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lyme Vaccine?

I am working through the update to the CountrySide and Small Stock Journal iLL ATOCI.

101/02/32.  (2017 March/April).

"A very effective Lyme disease vaccine was invented in the late 1900s, but is no longer available.  The vaccine manufacturer discontinued production in 2002, stating slow sales because of low consumer demand.  The protection provided by this vaccine worked similar to the tetanus vaccine, which diminishes over time and must be administered every 10 years."

Anyone know who was the manufacturer? 

Anything?

Sarah

Wow.....my good friends [husband and wife almost always both contract this]  have this horrid disease and I've never heard of this.  If you find anything, post it here please.

There is such controversy and a HUGE increase in the disease [and more accurately diagnosed]....that I begin to wonder WHY it was actually discontinued. 

MtRider  :tinfoilhatsmile:

Today there are no vaccines available to prevent Lyme disease, and it is unlikely that another will be developed and licensed in the near future – not because of a lack of interest or problems with development, but because of the

precedent set by the first vaccine’s ultimate failure in the court of public opinion.  

While I'm not completely sold on vaccination, I am not at all confident about the intelligence and knowledge base of "the court of public opinion" .  I strongly believe that if one does not have knowledge about a subject, one does not have the right to an opinion......obviously.  Seems like a whole load of folks don't see it my way though and carry on with opinions without a shred of evidence/knowlege.  :gaah:

I don't know enough about this to have an opinion about this vaccine.  But I have enough knowledge about the suffering and deadly consequences of Lyme disease to shudder at the thought of losing a potential weapon against it.  :(   Especially when the numbers of victims of this disease is growing rapidly.  Unfortunately this vaccine came out during the time when tooooo many doctors were misdiagnosing and had not yet realized that "one round of antibiotics" did NOT always cure this disease.  People were dying from it and the docs continued to state:  If you still have symptoms after antibiotics, then you don't have Lyme disease.  .........."Okay, what DO I HAVE????", patients would ask.  :shrug:   ....as doc backs away slowly and runs from the room.  It was unacceptable for docs to respond in that era of time.  Slowly this odd and deadly mandate among their profession has been changing.  Too many docs "jumped the fence" and could no longer be blacklisted for not following "acceptable protocols" in diagnosing Lyme disease.  ....it's been a horror story and still doesn't have a happy ending.  :pray:

MtRider  ....thanks for the link, Sarah.

There's LDA (low dose antigen or allergy...I can't remember which) that some (non-mainstream; probably allergy and intergrative med) doctors are using for patients with allergies.  Because there's so much that I'm allergic to, I would like like to do it in the next few years.   Anyway, my doc was telling me there was a Lyme treatment one.    I've not read up on it as it's not something I'm dealing with.   Might be worth looking into for those dealing with Lyme disease.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

Hmm...  No email received that there was an update.  Yesterday and today.  glitch?

Agreed, Mt_Rider.  I also suspect that the original was too limited.  The end of that linked page said another was under development for -multiple- strains.

Out_of_the_ordinary. Same for the LDA treatments.  Would such address the correct strain?  Can we identify the correct strain given the difficulty we are still having in the identification / detection of the disease?  Could it even work?  An allergy treatment for a disease?

Well, it is said that the start of wisdom is saying, "I do not know". 

Sarah.

7 hours ago, Sarah said:

Hmm...  No email received that there was an update.  Yesterday and today.  glitch?

Agreed, Mt_Rider.  I also suspect that the original was too limited.  The end of that linked page said another was under development for -multiple- strains.

Out_of_the_ordinary. Same for the LDA treatments.  Would such address the correct strain?  Can we identify the correct strain given the difficulty we are still having in the identification / detection of the disease?  Could it even work?  An allergy treatment for a disease?

Well, it is said that the start of wisdom is saying, "I do not know". 

Sarah.

I don't know.  Like I said, I haven't looked into the Lyme part as it is not something I'm dealing with.  My doctor said they are seeing good results.    LDA isn't a traditional allergy treatment. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is an old post but with Lymes disease increasing, we need to be fully aware of it.  And now that deer hunting is starting soon, this is very important.  

My daughter has lymes disease. There is no cure but can be controlled. She also had rocky mounted spotted fever. Found out she had both when she wasn't feeling well and was preg. with 3ed child at the time. She has to take certain vitamins daily to counter act the symtoms and at times has to go back on an antibotic for the lymes. She has had this disease now for over 18 years. So you will never get rid of lymes disease once you get it.  I see above they had a vacine for it . Never new that. They need to come out with it again. I for one don't like vac. but in this case I would get that one. Right now the only ones I get are the flu and phnemonia, with the phn. being every 5 years. 

Lymes disease if not treated can lead to arthritis and can be debilitating. I have already seen what it has done to my daughter. If she does not stay active, her muscles and joints get very stiff. 

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear about your daughter! 

I think I'm pretty much up to date on my shots. I don't get many though. I took my last pneumonia shot last year. Dr. says I don't need any more ever. Perks of old age I guess. I still need the shingle vaccine. I don't want to mess with shingles. I've known too many people who have had it and suffered greatly. They have been out of it for over a year. They are finally getting it back in...slowly.

The only thing I am adamant about is the tetanus shot. I get that every 10 years without fail. You can get it with or without the D.P.T. booster in it.

I don't take a flu shot. If my immune system was compromised I would though. Last time I had one was because I was taking care of a cousin with kidney failure and didn't want to chance her health. 

That's terrible Littlesister. So sorry to hear that. I've had a couple of cousins who had it and it was so painful. And it lasted for months. I've been trying to get it but all of the pharmacies have been out for so long. Even my doctors office was out. But I am going to get it.  

I'm not big on vaccines but with age sometimes you have to compromise and do what's best for you in the long run. 

• 2 months later...