MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Light Fixture Question

:o   Has anyone ever turned on a light in your house and had the lightbulbs flash like a strobe light?  This is in my now-infamous ceiling fan/light in living room.  Yeah, the one that came loose and cracked B [property manager dh] in the head.  They were fixing the light part of that device cuz the light wouldn't turn on.  Don't remember which part they replaced but it's worked fine again until today. 

I mean to tell ya.....that fast strobe off-on-off-on startled me!  I've put a call in to them but haven't heard back yet.  Definitely going to leave the light off.  It's definitely NOT just the stuttering light when there is an electrical short.  It's not intermitent.  It's very regular.  I've had it on about 4 times and it continues to be a strobe light.  Ack!

Another variable:  both light bulbs are grocery store purchased LED bulbs......if that would have any factor in this mystery.

MtRider  :sSig_help2:

I did find this:  :shrug:

LED Turn Signals Blinking Too Fast (Hyperflashing)

Is your LED bulb blinking too fast? No worries—it’s an easy fix! LED lighting draws much less power and lasts way longer than standard incandescent lighting that comes stock with most vehicles. Although the reduced draw of LEDs has advantages, replacement of turn signal bulbs with LEDS will cause what is called hyperflashing. Hyperflashing is when the turn signals blink faster than your stock incandescent bulbs did. This happens because your new LED bulbs draw such little power that your turn signal relay sees the bulbs as being out.

There are two strategies you can use to fix this issue:

Installing an LED flasher module specifically designed for LED bulbs. This is the easiest method for fLED Flasher Module - LED Bulb Blinking Fixixing hyperflashing. These modules are economically priced and are usually simple to install. In most cases, these flasher units are little circular or square boxes with metal prongs sticking out one side that simply plug into where your stock flasher went. Our LED flashers function with both LED and incandescent bulbs, so even if you have LED turn signals in the back and incandescent bulbs still in the front, you can use our LED flasher modules with no problems. Before you order, compare the pin diagram of the stock flasher with the pin diagram of our flashers on our website.

Installing a load resistor kit. Unlike plug-and-play LED flasher modules, load resistor kits require some wiringLED Load Resistor Kit - LED Bulb Blinking Fix to install. Through the use of a load resistor kit (pictured right), LED bulb blinking can be slowed down to a normal rate. These resistors are to be installed in parallel (tied to positive and negative) for each LED bulb.  A detailed printable installation guide can be downloaded here: How to Install an LED Load Resistor

https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog/led-turn-signals-blinking-too-fast-hyperflashing/275/

Hyperflashing....yes, that describes it. 

J, the property manager called back before I went down to feed.  She said she's had them do that when they're about to go out.  She used to sell some of the early LED bulbs and I still have one of her old stock.  It's been running over my kitchen sink for .....nearly a decade.  Then I have another old one I bought a couple years before that and it's been running continuously as a night light. 

More recently, we've been trading in the worthless [curled type] flourescent bulbs with the standard issue LED bulbs you can buy anywhere now.  So these have been in the light for ...maybe a year?  I've got them everywhere and NONE of them has gone out.  But....out of thousands made, some will be even minutely defective, I guess.  So I took the LED's out of living room fixture and put one of them into the kichen fixture.  Put an incandescent bulb in the living room.  BOTH worked just fine.

:scratchhead:

J and I are both very logical and so....tho "good" news, this was unsettling to us.  Worse, now that I'm back up from feeding, I put the other "defective" LED bulb back into the living room fixture with the regular light bulb and it's working fine now too.  :scratchhead: 

Ahem.....ya got me!  :shrug:

MtRider ...another rather too-eventful day  :0327:

Well....the hyperflashing LED bulb I put back into the living room fixture has now gone dark.  The incandescent bulb in the living room fixture is still lit.

The other LED bulb I put into the kitchen fixture is shinging brightly.

Was one defective LED causing both to hyperflash? 

MtRider :scratchhead:  :shrug:

Edited by Mt_Rider