MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

SUMMER '17

In the wee hours of June 16, 2017......DH read our thermometer.  TWENTY DEGREES Fahrenheit.....  :frozen:  

Seeeee?  This is one reason gardening up here does not work.  That's not a slight frost....that is a hard freeeeze!   :0327:   At 2AM I saw it was at 35 degrees and wondered if I should go out and drain the copper tubing for the swamp cooler....again.  It may be a few days from officially being summer but.....even up here in the Rockies, 20 degrees is pretty extreme in mid June. 

MtRider  ....but at least I'm not overheating.  Yes, the furnace was running a lot last nite.  :buttercup:

• Like 1

They told us to expect 60mph winds and ping pong sized hail today.  We got...a little bit of rain, but not even enough to have any water sitting in the "moat".

Which is a nice change from Monday, when they said 70mph winds and softball sized hail and we got nothing.  It was a neat show in town, though. 

Hot here.  Actually, it has been nice, 60 in the morning and 100 during the day.  However...

...by Monday, the forecast says 118+, with an excessive heat warning for this coming weekend through next week....

Still hot.  Idk exactly what it is right now.  One thermometer says 105, the one next to it says 115 and the BBQ, which is in the direct sun, says 175. 

Yeah, it is summer in the desert.  Why did I buy a dehydrator?  lol

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

Still hot.  Idk exactly what it is right now.  One thermometer says 105, the one next to it says 115 and the BBQ, which is in the direct sun, says 175. 

Yeah, it is summer in the desert.  Why did I buy a dehydrator?  lol

So you don't get dirt in your dehydrated food!  

15-25 mph winds here today. 

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 1

:laughkick: 

Today I took the risk to go to my parents' not-airconditioned/not-swampcoolered house for Father's day.  Oye.  The forecast was high of 70 degrees in their town and they are just a little higher.  [higher means cooler]  DIDN'T HAPPEN.  Inside temperatures got up to 79 degrees by late afternoon. :0327: That's at least NINE DEGREES over what is apparently my new break point for heat danger.    :sigh:   Outside got around the same temperature. 

So I was wearing tank/shorts...and cool bib [evaporative cooling thing] AND and ice pack on my head-held on by a baseball cap.  I left the south side of the house to a back room and added a wet cold towel around my neck and wiping wet towels across my arms.  Was just about to head for the basement when we discovered the cool breeze outside.  :amen: So my mom and I went out on the deck which was mostly shade by then. 

I told her....Yanno, I'd probably be a lot cooler if I wasn't looking at you in that SWEATER!  :rolleyes:   My dad and I get so dangerously overheated and she's comfortable in a shirt and sweater.  Aiieee.  But outside was a good plan.  Stayed out there til the coolness came inside thru the windows [formerly shut tight on the sunny side]. 

They've been getting in the 80's there and so today really was cooler.....  This is why I hide out in my house all summer where I can control the temperature....or run and hide in my basement.....which is not a great place with mice and all...  :knary:

MtRider  ....however, we had a wonderful Father's day and ....who knows if he'll be in heaven for the one next year? 

I see older people in the summer with sweaters on a lot too. I get it but Sheeeesh. My grandma used to say, "My arms are chilly."

It's 79 degrees and getting dark outside. Looks like we are headed for a storm. My grass needs the rain. It sort of got burned the last week with the hot weather.

My MIL is that way.  I get there and she has the house at 80 and is wrapped in a comforter with long sleeves on. 

1990 we broke the all time record at 122*F.  The news is saying we might get close.

Yesterday evening, parts of the suburbs of Phoenix were without power, heat related.  Too much strain on the electrical grid.  It was still between 105  - 110 at that time. 

The central air here gave up the ghost a week ago, but we survived with open windows, ceiling fans and a couple window fans.  Rather than spend $4-5000 hubby built window frame and we put a energy efficient window a/c and we're quite comfy!  Actually doesn't kick on nearly as often or stay on as long as the c/a did!  Furnace repair guy told us that becauce we had a c/a unit, we could turn on the furnace fan (only) and it would pick up the window unit cool air and circulate it...but we haven't needed to do that.  PTL...we already had the window unit in storage!  Lumber was in our storage shed...so...cost?  Sweat equity! LOL

• Like 2

Way to go We2. I haven't had to turn my air on yet. For some unknown reason, my house stays pretty cool. It sure isn't because of insulation, double pane windows or shade. I did have to turn on the whole house attic fan for about an hour for two nights to cool down the upstairs. I really love that fan. It's a big dude. If I ever get another house I'll have one put it. It really saves me a bundle in the summer. I'll fire up the A/C around Aug. just to make sure it still works. My furnace and A/C is from the 80's so...

I left home at 8am. Half way to Tucson it was 103, by the time I got there at 9, the temp was already at 104. By the time I got to TX it was 106. By 5pm they shut down I-10 from Lordsburg to Las Crucis because of another big dust storm. Yesterday a dust storm caused a 25 car accident and 6+ people lost their lives. :(

It rained here this evening. Now it is hot and muggy. 

3 hours ago, TheCG said:

I saw about the dust storm in the news.  They need to do a LOT more PSAs and put up signs telling people not to slam on their brakes when they happen.

Exactly!  

They now have several billboards up saying to wait and don't drive in them. 

I got caught in one and made it to Deming before they shut the highway down. Very scary when you can not see the front of your car. 

The news is saying temps will get to 108 today.