MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

SUMMER '17

Aiieeee!  Take great caution, those of you in wild weather...extreme heat, blinding dust, Cindy's deluge of rain.....  :pray:

So today I'm locked into the house.  DIFFUSE SMOKE has enveloped us today.  FORTUNATELY, Iit's just the soot/ash that travels from far-away wildfires.  I don't even know which wildfires this comes from....possibly not even CO fires.  [UPDATE:  it's from Utah!]   The air is YELLOW/GRAY. Like wearing yellow sunglasses....weird.  ICKY!  We're known for our crystal blue skies and clean air.  Have my mask ready for feeding tonite.  Swamp cooler clears the air enough to keep it running....tho the temperature has dropped in the past hour.  I can keep the water of the swamp cooler running over the pads....and I shut all doors/windows already to keep gunk out.

We had a brief period of soft rain...which would help clear the crud from the air.  But it didn't last.  Might get more.  Just a few minutes ago, huge GUSTS of WIND began.  Our trees are snapping to and fro in multiple directions.  Sheeesh!  That usually happens when a storm front...strong storm front..is moving in.  But I'm not seeing that on the Doppler.  :scratchhead:    But now.....all is calm again.  Still YELLOW tho. 

Then the WIND started up again.....I don't like WIND!  Argh! 

:runcirclsmiley2:I'm getting totally HYPER!  This sets off allll the stuff about running from wildfires.  I keep telling myself that we're ok....the fire is definitely not local.....no danger.  But there is a certain amount of mild PTSD from those evacuations.  :hidingsmile::animal0017::tinfoilhatsmile:

MtRider  ....unnecessarily on :runcirclsmiley2:   HIGH ALERT today.  :darthduck:     {sheesh}

Edited by Mt_Rider

This is the origin of our smoky/greasy air today:

https://wdef.com/2017/06/22/utah-wildfire-doubles-in-size-prompting-evacuations/

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865683196/Fire-threatens-Brian-Head-shuts-down-highway.html

Apparently they've been battling this one since at least the weekend.  8,000 acres by today.  Pray for folks with this and other wildfires cuz our weather conditions for fires is reallly bad today.  Winds are gushing around from all directions and that makes it very dangerous for firefighters and people evacuating new areas threatened.

MtRider  ....BTDT!  :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider

The terrible greasy-yellow look is gone now.  That's the scene that raises my anxiety.  Cuz it looks and feeeels like the fire is close!  It was not....but knowing that didn't keep the feeling away tho.

Thru the day, the WIND that brought the particulate matter into our state has blown it elsewhere.  The "parts per million" of particulates [soot/ash] has greatly diminished.  :happy0203:  I can still smell 'smoke' a bit.  I'll still wear a mask cuz my bronchial, etc do not do well with particulate matter of any kind.  I've been keeping a mask handy for DUST from our dry gravel roads.  If we got a rain shower now, it would probably wash away the last of what blew over here....but it's sunny.  :shrug:  Oh well, this is doable in time for tonite's feeding....by me.

MtRider  :buttercup:

Wow...clear air when I fed about 8pm.  Didn't wear mask and that little bit of rain calmed down the dust.  Car went by as Koa and I walked and there was only a tiny puff of dust.  By tomorrow mid-morning, the full dust will be back.  AND....they expect the wind to blow the soot/ash enough to envelope a lot of CO tomorrow too.  :yar:

MtRider ...SOOO thankful for the swamp cooler to cleanse the air inside!! :amen:

Glad your air cleared up. 

111 this afternoon here in TX.  Yucky dusty with strong winds this evening. The news said possible hail tonight!?!  

DH said it's still above 115 at home. 

Clear air and colder yesterday.  52 was our high.  :frozen:  I tell ya....the extremes of mountain weather keep one hopping....trying to make adaptions.  Open windows and doors and turn on the fans.  Close the windows/doors and turn on the furnace!  :sassing:

MtRider  ...cool again today  :D and we're hoping for rain  :wave:

On 6/23/2017 at 11:01 PM, Annarchy said:

Glad your air cleared up. 

111 this afternoon here in TX.  Yucky dusty with strong winds this evening. The news said possible hail tonight!?!  

DH said it's still above 115 at home. 

Wild storm in town Friday night.  Dropped from 103 to 80-something in a hurry. Completely ripped of some roofs, flung trampolines onto house and electric lines, downed a few lines, etc. I'm not sure we even got rain at our house, but I should have taken the truck because parts of downtown were flooding. 

Whew, TheCG.  Glad you and yours were safe in the wild weather.  Was that something cuz Cindy was passing thru or just summer weather? 

We've been nearly cold the past two days.  Still waiting for RAIN.  Need some.  Air gets kinda blue-ish around dusk...indicating some parts-per-million of soot/ash.  But barely there. 

The Brian Head Wildfire in Utah blazes on.... :(  It was up to over 40,000 acres yesterday.  Not as big as some of our CO wildfires have been but...yikes.  :pray:  For the firefighters and residents to make wise decisions and be safe.  And for cooler/wetter weather to aid their efforts to put this out.

MtRider  :pc_coffee: