MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi, Everybody!

I just wanted to say hi to everyone, as I haven't stopped in to visit in a while. I spent a bit of time reading first to see what everyone has been up to. For those who are experiencing challenges right now, it is my sincere hope that things will turn around and that you will receive some measure of relief from your troubles. I still remember so many of you fondly (and interact with several of you on Facebook). It is so nice to see some new members participating, as well.

My family and I have been doing well. My husband retired a couple of years ago and I've gone back to school to work on a Masters in Aeronautical Science. We've had a grand time traveling and I launched an economic development consulting company that mostly works with nonprofit agencies. As a result, some of my preparedness has slipped a bit because I no longer have any chickens and only a few quail on my little urban farm. Despite this, I can still point to many things that still help to keep my family prepared that I gained from this site. I still use the most fabulous apron (which was made by Violet) on a daily basis. From time to time, I make poultry sausage using a recipe that was shared by Darlene and often drink herbal tea from a Salt Flats mug that was the result of a Christmas gift exchange here. You ladies are awesome, even if I'm not here often enough to tell you all!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, themartianchick said:

I am back in NY, Miki! It was so hard to leave Florida but the people who matter the most are in NY so I had to return. How about you? Are you back at home?

Yay!  Got home today and I have to say that Mississippi seems more like home than my hometown.  It has grown so, so much!  All businesses and strip malls.  Not a cow to be seen anymore!  Even my Church is like a mega church now.  Only knew 3 people there.  We came back two days early and still had time to go to the big flea market (got a Himalayan salt lamp and a couple new knives), go to the beach and go to a movie and of course to eat a few times.  We were busy at the packing Monday and got it done, then decided to leave Tuesday morning.  Only thing problematic was that the lady moving and my friend decided to take her dog with us.  She says it is a lab/ridgeback mix but I know what a lab looks like and that's no lab!  He is either mastiff/ ridgeback or pittie/ ridgeback if there is any ridgeback in him.  I didn't see any ridge at all.  He is beautiful but his youth is unknown.  Very sweet to all of us and then two nights ago I was talking to him about changes and said "you're going to see new things, meet new puppies and maybe some kitties" and when I said kitties, he started snarling and before I could even move he had bitten me pretty good.  Startled the heck out of me and my friend was standing there when it happened.  So apparently he has trigger words from when he was younger.  I know he felt bad after he did it as he went in another room and put his head under the cushions of a chair.  He was fine after and I was cautious but friendly.  Last night at the motel, he jumped up between my friend and I and slept with his head on my hip all night.  Here's the thing.  My friend has small grandchildren.  It is sad but I don't think he is going to fit in as I can't imagine her trusting him with them at all.  I am actually glad that it happened rather than finding out at the expense of her grandkids.  I will call her in a couple of days and see how it is going.  He has other issues also such as now waving your hands in front of him and children can't run around near him.  I just don't see it working.  He is current on his shots and I keep dumping peroxide on it.  There is a big bruise and getting bigger but no redness at all with just a little swelling.  So that was enough excitement for me and I am so happy to be home with DH, my pups and the little goats!  I am supposed to go with my friend back to FL in October for vacation and visiting so we will see if that happens. 

I think I'll try to get some sleep now as it hasn't come easily while I was gone!  Good night all!

It was faster to copy and paste than to type it again.  LOL  Anyway, TMC, I am glad to be back in MS!  I sure did enjoy going to the beach though!

• Like 2

:cheer:  Martian!!!!  :hug3:   I was just thinking about you a couple days ago.  Didn't you do a radio interview with a post-hooey author?  I think of you when I see his books in my search for FREE ebooks.  And of course....when I see books on quail-raising.  Glad you still have some of them. 

What does one do with a Masters in Aeronautical Science?  Sounds way over my head....but then, high school math would be over my head by this time. 

Hope you'll stick around!!

MtRider :wave:

Martian!!!!  :hi:

So glad to see you. I still think of you often. As a matter of fact, I was thinking of you last week. I stumbled on a prepper radio broadcast and wondered if you were still doing yours. I couldn't think of the name of it though to check.

Hope you hang around!   :hug3:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

:cheer:  Martian!!!!  :hug3:   I was just thinking about you a couple days ago.  Didn't you do a radio interview with a post-hooey author?  I think of you when I see his books in my search for FREE ebooks.  And of course....when I see books on quail-raising.  Glad you still have some of them. 

What does one do with a Masters in Aeronautical Science?  Sounds way over my head....but then, high school math would be over my head by this time. 

Hope you'll stick around!!

MtRider :wave:

Hi, MtRider!

I have managed to rise to meet the challenges associated with math that doesn't involve money, but it isn't my strong suit! I've always been interested in flight and emergency preparedness. While most people take their first air flights in planes, my first was in a helicopter as part of a neighborhood watch demonstration of a medical evacuation. I didn't really know how to get into a career path for something like that without military service, so I never really explored it further. Besides, I discovered boys, tiny skirts and lots of hairspray soon after that.

Aeronautical Science doesn't fit well with my other (non-science) degrees so I had to complete a lot of undergraduate work first, particularly in the field of unmanned systems (aka drones). It is my goal to combine my business, non-profit management and economic development skills to create programming and facilities that inspire younger, at-risk populations to major in STEM  programs as a way to battle poverty and increase upward mobility. The catch is that I don't really want to work for anyone as an employee, so I will likely teach some online classes for a couple of colleges while I work on developing the programs. The backup plan would be to actually manage an aviation-based museum. That's the plan...Of course, I have to get through school first!

I do hope to pop in for conversations more often...I miss this place!

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

:hapydancsmil::hi:

So nice to see you again!  

Lol, every time I buy TP, I think of you. 

Retirement... I think I work harder now. Lol

Hi, Annarchy!

My hubby grabbed the remains of a 24 pack this morning and I made a mental note to buy 2 more! Old habits die hard and that is a habit that will be taken to the grave with me. There really is no such thing as too much TP!

9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Martian!!!!  :hi:

So glad to see you. I still think of you often. As a matter of fact, I was thinking of you last week. I stumbled on a prepper radio broadcast and wondered if you were still doing yours. I couldn't think of the name of it though to check.

Hope you hang around!   :hug3:

Hi, Jeepers! 

I only did my broadcast for about a year. The company had too many management changes and they kept making the broadcast requirements more difficult. It got to the point where I was spending an entire day editing and adding the commercials into the mix. It was fun while it lasted, though. I still use the equipment for some occasional voiceover work and stay connected to those other authors and emergency managers. One of them, Arthur Bradley PhD, was my inspiration to return to school. He is a NASA scientist who writes post-apocalyptic fiction and really good emergency manuals. 

Martianchick! I've missed you and your little green Martian man! So glad that life is going well for you. Are you still writing your fiction stories?

Edited by dogmom4
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, dogmom4 said:

Martianchick! I've missed you and your little green Martian man! So glad that life is going well for you. Sure you still writing your fiction stories?

Hi, Dogmom!

I am still writing but not nearly as much as I'd like. I took the summer off from school and thought that I'd have more time to be creative. However, life intervened and there was a lot less free time than I'd imagined.

• Like 1

OOTO.....I knew there was another TP Queen with Martian!  :darlenequeen:

See folks....  :shopping: Martian coming back reminds us of how much we don't want to use the PHONE BOOK PAGES that I've been saving for years.  [alternate TP....hint: crumble pages well before use - softer]   Or Mullien leaves ...look up Nature's TP. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

More than crumple it, unless you just like to smear stuff around.  Scrub against a piece of split wood or a pumice stone (or a cinder block) to get the coating off the page.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Scrubbing the phone book pages would be an act of desperation for me. I have noticed in recent years that the toilet paper tends to be almost too soft. It makes a lot of lint when you use it. I'm sure that it is a cost-saving measure that the TP companies are taking advantage of!

1 hour ago, themartianchick said:

Scrubbing the phone book pages would be an act of desperation for me. I have noticed in recent years that the toilet paper tends to be almost too soft. It makes a lot of lint when you use it. I'm sure that it is a cost-saving measure that the TP companies are taking advantage of!

Yep. That's why I only use Scott brand. Lasts longer as well. And not the Soft Scott or the tubeless either. Just the no frills Scott. :D

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not sure my repurposed phone book pages would survive a "cinder block facial" ....   But it one was really desperate and had only the shiny paper....might give that a scrub. 

Not appreciating the lint either!!!  Feel like one has to 'brush' lightly to remove 'lint' when finished!  Hmph!

MtRider  .....just a note...don't flush 'alternative TP' in a septic system!  :o

9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

MtRider  .....just a note...don't flush 'alternative TP' in a septic system!  :o

That's my concern with switching to family cloth.   I have lots of cloth wipes from cloth diapering DD.   I've thought about starting to use those as family cloth, but I think out of habit, I'd flush them.  And then the potential clog/toilet backing up.

We've nearly stopped buying Cottonelle.  It had gotten thinner, more linty, and much more narrower.  We've switched to Quilted Northern.  It's not as soft as Cottonelle used to be.   There's more TP on the roll, though.      I think "double roll" is a tricky word, regardless of the brand, because I'm not seeing any "single" rolls in my stores to compare to see  if a double roll is actually twice the amount of a single roll.     Paper towels sizes are weird now, too.  It used to just be the single rolls and double rolls.  Now it's "big roll" or "mega roll" or something else so there's no way to easily compare.

3 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

That's my concern with switching to family cloth.   I have lots of cloth wipes from cloth diapering DD.   I've thought about starting to use those as family cloth, but I think out of habit, I'd flush them.  And then the potential clog/toilet backing up.

We've nearly stopped buying Cottonelle.  It had gotten thinner, more linty, and much more narrower.  We've switched to Quilted Northern.  It's not as soft as Cottonelle used to be.   There's more TP on the roll, though.      I think "double roll" is a tricky word, regardless of the brand, because I'm not seeing any "single" rolls in my stores to compare to see  if a double roll is actually twice the amount of a single roll.     Paper towels sizes are weird now, too.  It used to just be the single rolls and double rolls.  Now it's "big roll" or "mega roll" or something else so there's no way to easily compare.

I think that the industry is enjoying the confusion. I tend to look at the unit price rather than the price for the package to ensure that I'm getting the most for my money. Every brand seems to have a gimmick. I like Scott's and Wegman's store brand but I will buy other brands when they are a loss leader at the store or if I have a coupon.