MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating Blueberries

This is genius if it really works.

Blueberries have a natural wax coating on them so they need to be quickly blanched to remove it before dehydrating. Seconds count because they can easily cook to mush. Or, you can prick each one to break the skin so they can dry. Some people freeze them first and then dehydrate them but the skin usually stays tough. All of those method are time consuming. But sooo worth it. If you don't do one of the above steps, you can still dehydrate them but they will take FOREVER. Like a couple of days forever.

Well, I just saw a video on Youtube (of course) of how a woman does hers. She takes one of those metal pronged things like you can get to stick in a tomato, potato or onion to slice them in uniform size slices, and she jabs it in the blueberry bowl. Each berry gets a hole punched in it and she just slides them off of the jabber thing onto the dehydrator tray. I'm wondering if they all get stabbed or if some might get caught between the prongs?  I'm think the majority get stabbed. I'm explaining it because I know some of us have limited Internet and video watching can eat it up.

I wish I had seen this when blueberries were in season. I'm so going to try this whenever I do blueberries.

Video is 1min 8 sec.  Here is a picture of the tool. You can get them everywhere cheap.

Stabber.jpg

• Like 2
On 8/19/2017 at 10:27 PM, Jeepers said:

Do you get coupons emailed to you from them? I get them from Honeyville and Harmony House. I've used Harmony House before and like them too. I'll start posting them when they send them out if you don't.

Haven't yet...but shopping ads pop up on my youtube screen...so coupon alerts appreciated!  Maybe when I order from them I'll start getting some?

• Like 1