MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thanksgiving plans?

Momo

Only a few days to go..have you made any plans for Thanksgiving?

DH and I will be alone.I did invite  my friend who just lost her hubby but she wants to be alone.  She has been offered dinner at 4 different places that I know of but she is a loner type and is happy about it.

I have not settled on the menu yet.  I want to make something different but nothing sounds good right now. Neither one of us is in the turkey mood this year.  I will probably end up with prime rib. I'll make most of the traditional sides though..just no turkey.

• Like 1

My folks also decided against turkey this year.  We're all having health issues and no one  is up for THE BIG THING.  So DH is going to do a shrimp stir fry.  We'll bring the rice cooker and good Asian rice.  Other fixin's if one of us makes it or buys it.  Simple is the key word.

MtRider  ...Happy THANKSgiving everyone.  :pray:

• Like 2

I was invited to Indy but I'd rather stay home. There will be a lot of people I don't know over there plus the drive time and the Black Friday mess so I'm staying put. Never know about the weather and I have P.T. Friday anyway. Less stress...less mess. I have plans to go over around the 1st. or 2nd. week of December to Christmas shop anyway.

• Like 1

Always tired and usually hurting too much to deal with anything.  Ordered a fried turkey.  DS1 will cook a side or two, and it will be just the two of us unless DS2 comes over with his pack.

• Like 1

We are having turkey and cornbread dressing, green bean casserole and maybe making Amish potato rolls.  Should have leftovers for days!  Probably getting another turkey to freeze tomorrow.  Turkey is the dogs "favorite fruit"!  My step dad used to say that about different foods.  Still don't know why.

• Like 2

Pack, remove trash to a dumpster in the driveway. (The 'handyman' wanted $1,000 as a starting bid.....)

Moving men are here, price for moving went up nearly double what was bid.  WE are jettisoning heavy items, though it hurts.  Oh well, so goes life. 

• Like 1

This year my mom's birthday falls on Thanksgiving Day. DH, BIL, and DS have to work that day (first responder family problems), so the girls and I will head down to her place for the day (she's 3 hours south of us).

We're going to my brother's to have Thanksgiving dinner with *my* side of the family on Saturday. And everyone is coming here for Thanksgiving dinner with DH's family on Sunday. 

So I'm taking rolls and sweet potatoes and a pumpkin roll to my brother's place, and I'm making the turkey and mashed potatoes and stuffing for the dinner here. 

Gonna gain twenty pounds this week, but it's one of my favorite holidays. 

• Like 3

We will have about 13 folks at my home this year. Menu is turkey, ham, a vegetarian meat, mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli apple salad, corn, yams with marshmallows,  cranberry sauce, a couple of types of rolls, sweet potato pie.....   I love cooking for the holidays! And the best part? Our new place has.....drumroll please....a dishwasher!!!! First time since I was a kid I’ve lived in a house with one......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

:woohoo:  dishwasher and sweet potato pie!  I like that so much better than pumpkin.  Richer flavor, I think.  :yum3: 

Got the wok down from a shelf on high.....hasn't been used in years....  Ick!  Greasy above stove and dust.  Hmph....  But I'm not the cook so I guess I'm the wok-washer.  :buttercup:

MtRider  :feedme:  :pray: 

• Haha 2

We are going to our daughter's home for lunch. She's doing the turkey and our traditional sides, but I'm bringing the home-frozen sweet corn and the pumpkin pie.  It's just easier not needing to take the grand-kids out of the house.  If they need a nap, time-out, clean shirt, whatever, it's all right there. 

:)

• Like 2

I got my extra turkey to freeze.  I cooked dinner yesterday.  So much easier only making four items total, including the rolls which turned out great.  Today, I'm just cleaning house, decorating some and maybe making pecan balls.  Fairly relaxing day since I will be busy tomorrow!  Have a nice Thanksgiving, you all!

• Like 2

truly thankful tonight!  movers came, and tonight, left with our household goods.  A couple days of clean-out and we will follow!  It will feel so GOOD to sleep tonight.  Going to sleep in a little I think.  Maybe all the way to 9:00 AM (the movers got us up at 6 am the last three days!!)  Finally, got something completed.  Feels good.

• Like 4

Well, I'm a diehard and did the traditional Thanksgiving dinner I've cooked for the past 30 years or more :).  Turkey, stuffing, gravy, potato salad, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, buttered corn, desserts, etc.  It's alot of work but as we ate dinner yesterday, each bite I took reminded me of how the holiday cooking is worth it because of how good it tastes.  It took 2 days to get everything prepared but thankfully my girls were awesome sous chefs and made it all come together smoothly.

It was actually the nicest Thanksgiving dinner I've done in a while.  I pulled out my city girl china and set the table really pretty.  We had some friends over so it was a wonderful time with family and friends.

Today, however, I'm sitting on the couch trying to get a fire going in the wood stove (nothing new there lol...I'm fire challenged).  Leftovers will rule the day and I'll decompress over the weekend.

I hope everyone, regardless of the meals they prepared, had a very blessed Thanksgiving :)

• Like 5

Empty nest here and none of the kids have families (yet), so I will have Thanksgiving at home. My oldest son came up Thursday and spent the night. He just now left.

Since my immediate family is so small and extended family is all on the east coast I don't "do" a big spread. In the last few years I've cooked a turkey, but not any of the "traditional" sides that go with it (because of all the work for feeding only THREE people, AND all of those aforementioned sides are LOADED with CARBS and I am a Type II diabetic). INSTEAD, we have turkey sandwiches! (You know; the reason everyone wants to take the leftovers home with them!)

I roast the turkey and make the pumpkin pies and pumpkin "bread" (made with almond flour). I also make a salad of some kind and fry up the BACON for the club sandwiches. My son brings the croissants, tomatoes and sometimes chips. It is a pretty relaxing day this way, although not so much the day before!

I asked him what he and his wife will do for Thanksgiving (when he finally meets and then marries her) -- traditional or sandwiches? He said they would probably go with the sandwich idea because he isn't too crazy about the sides that usually accompany the full turkey dinner anyway.

THIS is what we had for dinner: 

T-giving dinner 2017.jpg

pie 2017.jpg

• Like 3

I ended up making a rolled turkey breast so we wouldn't have too many leftovers.  I also made cornbread dressing, gravy, pea salad, cranberry/orange salad, rolls and pineapple upside down cake. A combo of DH's faves and traditional foods. I also made deviled eggs,cheeses and an olive tray for a preview. Just the 2 of us and it was very nice.

• Like 2