MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Medical Bill

Jeepers

I got a hospital bill today. It only includes the ER and my overnight stay. I'll get a bill for the CAT and MRI scans later. And probably radiology for reading them. Also the ambulance. Just the Hospital/ER bill was over $2,000.00. Crimony. But so far my part is only $36.42. Thank God for Medicare and the supplemental plan! That free acupuncture treatment was sure expensive.

The reason I mention it is because on the bill it had two areas that charge extra for smokers and also for high blood pressure patients.  Both of mine were marked 0.00. I’m surprised I wasn’t charged because I do have high blood pressure but every time they took it it wasn’t raging like it usually does.

They asked me if I smoked and I said I never did. I didn’t know they were not interested in my health but were concerned about what they could add to my bill. I know insurance is higher for smokers but I didn’t know the hospital could charge an extra fee too.  

I wonder how much more it would have cost for a smoker? They didn’t have to do anything extra for me because I smoke; or rather if I did. Smokers already pay higher insurance rates. Now they get charged extra if they have to go to the hospital. I wonder if a smoker goes to the ER to get stitches on their leg if there will be an extra smokers charge on their bill?

Also, if they can fine smokers then why not give a bonus to non-smokers? People can’t win anymore.

I’m not advocating smoking at all! It just doesn’t seem right to me to target a group when they already pay an extra insurance fee. AND my doctor said my type of blood pressure is heredity but if it would have been what it usually is, I would have been fined too. I suppose I should be angrier over that one.

What other illnesses (whether life choice or not) will be targeted and penalized in the future?  :pout:

• Sad 2

If 'causative' they can charge.  Or our local hospital can.  Type 1 diabetes, high blood pressure, smoking (to include 'environmental') and certain other genetics.  Right now we are having issues with vets going to the VA, and Medicare not being billed.

My question remains:  who SAID they can charge a discriminatory fee? 

Bigger question:  By WHO'S standard of 'causative' can they charge next.....and after that....and in the end, will living a certain number of miles from an ER be causative?  Will they be able to financially discriminate against someone who can't afford to eat WHICH EVER diet is in FASHION during that era of time?  There is a whole lot of  psuedo-science going on in all eras of time.  That dumb food pyramid is inverted for some of us...and is correct for others.  Ignorant folks in medical and political realms want everything to be easily/clearly discovered.  Or at least:

IF YOU THINK AND ACT AND CHOOSE LIKE ME, THEN I LIKE YOU AND YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY CORRECT!

And they get to charge discriminatory fees along those ignorant lines? 

Understand, I hate smoking and excess drinking.  I live with a smoker but he's never smoked around me.  He always goes outside..eliminating my 2nd hand smoke possibility...thankfully.  :hug3:   I react strongly to any smoke, dust, etc.   Will they automatically [and erroneously] compute that I choose to live in 2nd hand smoke?

Obviously, there are many things we humans do that DO tend to push our bodies into unhealthy disease.  But lung cancer can hit a totally non-smoking person that does not live in a smoky environment too.  And some heavy smokers can live well ....and into their 90's.  Where's the definitive science in THAT?  And will they equally charge a fee for a WORRIER?  Excess worry can cause heart disease too.  I'd like to see the parameters for THAT one.  :grinning-smiley-044:   ....actually, watch out what you "wish" for....  :unsure:

I'm just really against opening a door that can lead to more Commands From On High.....and I don't mean God!  HE does command but HE knows all and loves us utterly ...so it's very okay in my book!  But the govt. does not know all and is not fair in rulings and needs to keep outta the individual's business and choices.  EVEN GOD DOES NOT DEMAND WE FOLLOW HIS PRECEPTS BUT ALLOWS OUR ERRORS....and consequences. 

"Do not judge the merit of any law by the intent of that law.  Judge it instead by what it COULD be convoluted to be used for...."  :unsure:

MtRider  .....one of my hot buttons!  :motz_6:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Relax, Mt_Rider, we are on the same side.  Thank Obama.  What has me burned right now is the VA vs Medicare.  Our vets are getting slammed, full charges.  They MUST take Medicare, be charged for it, but can not use it with VA.  And YES, VA has the possible surcharges too.

Relax, Sarah.  I think we all know we're on the same side.  I was merely using your additional information as a springboard to further expound on this :motz_6: topic.  

What has been...and is still being done to Vets is abominable!  I only hear a bit from a couple friends but Sheeeeeeesh!  I'm hearing the nice brand-new bldg in a city near me ....hasn't contributed to improving the care of vets in this area too much.   Must take/pay for Medicare but can't use it?  { I think my eyes are bleeding!}  :gaah: 

I hide the fact that I've got Medicare drug program....and pay cash.  It's WAY cheaper for the few things I need in a year.  But we're threatened if you don't take the drug plan, so we throw a few dollars at it each year.....  :hidingsmile:  ....shhhhh, don't tell....

MtRider  :ph34r: