MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Coffee....

I've seen where Dollar Tree has K-cups but our D.T. is very small and doesn't have very much at all. I'm looking into finding a bigger one close to me to check out. I see all of these neat 'hauls' Youtubers get and mine doesn't have any way near those sort of things.

Ya know, all things being equal, a Keurig cup of coffee etc. is around .60 a cup (give or take depending on the brand) and McDonalds senior citizen cup of coffee is .89. I really assumed coffee from the pods would be more expensive. I got a box of 42 assorted cups at Bed Bath and Beyond at Christmas time for $24.00 plus I had a $5.00 off coupon. Also at the same time at Target they had buy any one box and get the second one 50% off. That's why I have so many to try.

Amazon has a lot of the inexpensive assortment packs too. I ordered a 40 cup variety pack the other night for $20.00

I'm going to get one of those refillable cups to use regular coffee grounds in that I have stored away for emergency purposes.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I'm going to get one of those refillable cups to use regular coffee grounds in that I have stored away for emergency purposes.

Make sure you test it out.  Some of them don't play nice with all the machines.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get a 'Keurig' one and not go the cheap route. I'm assuming Keurig makes one.

I'm not sure, but I'd just check reviews on Amazon.  People are very vocal when their coffee does not work.

• Like 1

All this talk about coffee makes my mouth water for a cup!  LOL  I have a glass electric pot (an oldie) that I use for nothing but heating water for tea or Mr's sugar-free hot chocolate...or if I'm canning (in addition to my T-pots).  I have one of the 36 (?) cup coffee makers that we take camping when we're serving coffee for our fellow camping-buds or hot spiced cider when it's our turn to cook the meal.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, TheCG said:

I'm really not certain why the electric kettle isn't as popular in the US as it is overseas.  I use mine several times a day.

Cuz of microwaves?

MtRider  :shrug:   Kitchens in other countries are a lot smaller/sparse in goods we take for granted. 

39 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

Cuz of microwaves?

MtRider  :shrug:   Kitchens in other countries are a lot smaller/sparse in goods we take for granted. 

Could be.  I've also seen that kettles in Britain boil much faster due to the different voltage.

• 6 months later...

Starbucks uses cheap coffee beans and it is all roasted dark to hide the poor taste.

I have been buying mine at the Dutch Market. But a lot of it was outdated and now they have more customers buying it. I only go over there two to three times a year so I guess I got the left overs. I know what I don’t like!

I ordered from Coffeebeandirect.com they sell by the lb and it is cheaper than the $ store. Good coffee. I drink 3-6 cups a day. Today is probably 6 cups. I fill my glass with ice and pour hot or cold coffee over it.?

• Like 2

I ended up going with the Dunkin Donut brand. I'm not a coffee afficianato so one tastes pretty much like the other to me. I heard McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts were the best. I don't really have a clue. I did get Starbucks mocha and vanilla pods though. Mostly because the were the only brands I could find in those flavors. I love vanilla ice coffee and mocha frappa or frappcinos (sp.) Or what ever they are called.

• Like 2

I rarely buy it 'out' anymore.  I get sticker shock too easy.  I use the old 1930's trick of adding a shake of sugar to the coffee basket before perking if I suspect the coffee could be a little "rough".  Smooths it right out.  A pinch of baking soda decreases the acid if your stomach is having one of those days. 

Ironically, the best coffee I've ever made was boiled with eggshells in a pot, steeped 10 min, then strained thru clean panty hose to get out the grounds & such.   It was smooth as could be.  My german granny knew her coffee (she told me about that trick).  I'm not so sure its necessarily the coffee...but that the technique matches the grind, maybe.  But I.m no gourmet....I'm drinking 10 yr old coffee now, rotating my supply, and its as good as any I've had (and far better than some!!  ROFL)

Edited by kappydell
typos
  • Like 3

I was able to buy a used French Press at a garage sale for $2  and it makes the tastiest coffee I've ever drank.  I have coffee beans that were given to me from a Batista (?) so I won't mention the brand, but I was able to stock up on LOTS of it.  Also picked up some coffee straws from one of our Mennonite stores (frees dried) and it's very tasty...when in a hurry.  Because of thyroid, I've limited my coffee to one cup in the mornings, after I've drank my morning glass of ice water, breakfast...then coffee.

• Like 1

I love my French press too, @The WE2's - I got mine many years ago. Love it!

It works during a power outage too, so I counted it as a prep when I got it. All I need is a fire to heat up water in my kettle and we are good to go. The flavor is amazing. The only thing is, I cannot grind my beans too fine or they end up in the brew. My press likes a coarser grind.

But the flavor is amazing. *Best*coffee*ever!

• Like 2