MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2018 GOALS AND RESOLUTIONS

My gas bill was sky high this month too. I knew it would be but sheesh. I kept trying to remind myself that I didn't use the air conditioner last summer and at least I stayed warm.  Little consolation though. Especially when my cable bill came today and they raised it another $10.00.

I used Quicken Will Maker Pro Plus and it has Nola built in to answer legal questions. It was VERY easy.They ask all of the questions and I just checked or filled in the boxes. It even covered living will and final arrangements. I got it at Office Max. It was around $40.00. I think they are around 50-60 dollars now.

Edited by Jeepers
edited to correct a word.
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Will your power company allow you to spread the payments for that bill over 2-3 months? (I've had to do something similar with my power bill in the past. Your company may not allow it, but it worth looking in to.)

I just checked online and, no I can't.  It automatically comes out of account.  DH says lets just get it over with.  The following month will be very low as we are having very mild temps now!  Thanks for the suggestion, though!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

I just checked online and, no I can't.  It automatically comes out of account.  DH says lets just get it over with.  The following month will be very low as we are having very mild temps now!  Thanks for the suggestion, though!

I think you'd have to call them about that, as it's something they'd have to do manually.  Might be worth a phone call. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TheCG said:

I think you'd have to call them about that, as it's something they'd have to do manually.  Might be worth a phone call. 

DH says we will just pay it and be done.  Lesson learned!  We will be ok, just tight for a month or so.

• Like 1

Weather has put a stop to most of the work on the bathroom remodel...not getting out on roads when it's icey.  Took the nice days to make our run to the Roost to pay water bill and check on things then a run to do some Amish shopping.  We'll have another day free now since the volunteer work we used to do has stopped.  Had some things going on that we chose not to be part of.  

I'm still decluttering. I am focusing on the visual clutter--all the things that can't be put away because they have no place or things that just are not being put where they belong. Things that nobody really wants but nobody wants to make the decision to just get rid of it. Also on paper clutter. My desk is a disaster. I tend to keep "information" because I'm afraid that I can never find that information again if I throw it away. That's really silly but....

• Like 2
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, snapshotmiki said:

I did call Friday about the CPR class but never got a call back.  may have been sick, who knows.  I will stop at the range on Wednesday.  And go from there!

Well, that wasn't real clear!  Guess I should re-read when I post, huh?

Will call again for CPR and First Aid class info on Monday.  And then will stop at the range Wednesday in reference to shooting and CCW.  

Trying to get info on two different goals so I know how and where to proceed!

LOL Miki. I knew what you meant.

Yep Cat. I'd like to get over there this year or next at the latest. Grandson is there and that is where my heart is. And no matter where I've lived, I've always been a Hoosier. I'd rather be in the southern part (Rush County) where I grew up and most of my family still is but I'll be headed north up by the lake.

• Like 2

Small update!

No one in this area teaches first aid and cpr.  Hospital does cpr alone for $55.  Lady at hospital thought that the college had a class but I spent all afternoon on their website and did not find it.  I can take an online course and since it is a refresher for me, will probably go that route.  Boy, in FL there were always classes run by the fire dept., hospitals and Police depts.  Not here.  I can get a certificate and card with total cost of $39.  Wouldn't work for employment, probably, but I'm more concerned about DH and shtf.  Now I have to wait until I have money to do the course.

I did not stop at the range yesterday.  I feel like I am trying to get everything done at once and that is not good in my case.  

But I have lost 5 pounds so far and that is good.  That's it for now!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

No one in this area teaches first aid and cpr. 

This information came across my newsfeed today:

What is Stop The Bleed?

Stop The Bleed is a national campaign started by the White House to address the most common cause of preventable trauma death in the United States: uncontrolled bleeding.

There is a '"Resources" tab and there is a "Find a Course" tab. These classes are FREE if you can find one near you.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

This information came across my newsfeed today:

There is a '"Resources" tab and there is a "Find a Course" tab. These classes are FREE if you can find one near you.

I checked and get the response of "no data in the table".  We are not near anything big!  

But!  I signed up this morning for a "Civilian Response for an Active Shooter" class --- Through my Church!  Should be interesting and I am really looking forward to it!

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, snapshotmiki said:

I'll go first.  With goals.

1. Get closer to God

2. Get myself healthier

3. Practice shooting and get CCW

4. Take a CPR and First aid class

5. Have Wills made 

I certainly don't know how far I will get but maybe we should check back in every 3 months or so.  More often if desired with progress updates (my thoughts anyway)

Time to re-visit this thread.

I have either completed or made progress on 3 out of 5!  Wills are made.  I am healthier. And I believe and feel that I am closer to God.

I did find out that no one in my area gives a CPR or First Aid course for the public although I could get a certificate online.  (Not what I was looking for).  Just didn't get to the shooting and CCW.  

Anyone else made progress?

• Like 1
On 1/11/2018 at 9:49 PM, The WE2's said:

No goals...just these "intended accomplishments" :  1) Finish bathroom remodel at homestead 2) move to homestead and 3) sell this place.  I did get the refrigerator cleaned out, shelves washed and lined with Glad Press and Seal ...makes cleaning shelves EZ.  Just remove foods, pull out press and seal liner, wipe off with vinegar water, dry, replace with new press and seal, put food back in and the job's done! 

:24:  Still working on #1, #2 and #3.  That's why I chose "intended accomplishments" .... all three depended on someone else's accomplishments...:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 1/4/2018 at 7:48 AM, TheCG said:

They're doing the Daniel Plan at church, and I'm kind of combining it with the 21-Day Sugar Detox from Diane Sanfilippo.

Actual (main) goals - there's a bunch of subgoals involved in everything:

1. Stick to an eating plan for more than 3 weeks.
  2. Go backpacking.  This will include subgoals of actually being in good enough shape to go backpacking and getting everything prepared.
  3. Make praying a normal everyday activity.
  4. Figure out what I'll be good at and start doing it.

1. I stuck to low carb for about 3 months, did fabulous, then I've slowly gone more and more off the rails and I'm right back where I started.

2. Yeah, nope.

3. Still working on it.

4.  I'm working a job that I love and am good at.

• Like 3

I think for 2019, I will

1. continue with lifestyle change indefinitely.

1A. keep the eating plan I am on until I hit goal of 135 pounds, then maintain.

2. work on toning up muscles.

3, Have more fun and laugh a lot more!

• Like 3

:scratchhead:

Truth be known, I don’t do well making resolutions. 

Love your “get closer to God” Miki. Definitely on my ToDo list. 

Last year, I chose a different version of the Bible to read through. Today, I only made it 3/4ths the way through the last two books, that aren’t in the KJV. But, I was able to start my schedule for this year.  The same version I read last year, but comparing it to the ‘standard’ versions used today in most churches. Interesting, God created man on the 6th day... but created Adam, from the slime of the earth, after He rested.  Truly something to ponder....among other things...  :pc_coffee:

On 1/6/2018 at 1:03 PM, Mt_Rider said:

1)  regain as much health as we can.  Some secondary goals like eating right [sugar control]  and balancing DH's meds.  Surgery?  Recovery from major surgery?????  [don't know yet]

On 1/6/2018 at 1:03 PM, Mt_Rider said:

2)   organizing/sorting/sifting our STUFF [and sanitize garage - move stuff back from Circus Tent!!!!]

Well, 2018 was not QUITE as bad as 2017.  But only because most of the health-threatening stuff was happening to my parents this year.  As you all know, we were certainly involved....and it took up a LOT of time/energy from us too.  But .....well, yes it's still going on.  My medical issue this year is a repeat of a year ago....and so I'll likely be doing this year, what we hoped to avoid entirely last year.   :scratchhead:  Did that even make sense? 

On 2018 #1......I lost 10lbs....but that was while I was running like a crazy person taking care of my parents after my mom came home from hospital.  Not by any means of self-control.  LOL  But it counts and I've kept it off despite the holidays coming right afterwards.  :)  I've been reducing the amount of snacks!   So....some progress.  More would be good.

On 2018 #2.... yes, I wish it was a lot more decluttering.  But we've rearranged and eliminated the couch and lots more.  Also all but a few empty packing boxes are gone from the Circus Tent.  The garage did NOT get sanitized cuz the rodents never quit anyway.  But now that we're using rodent poison...and the caretakers have increased filling in the access holes.  We've not seen any upstairs or in garage/basement for a while. 

So.....I think I'll just keep on doing this....

MtRider :pc_coffee: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Ugh. I figured this post would read it's ugly head way too soon. :coffeescreen:

I'm not even going to look at mine. I did get a few things accomplished. What I can remember off the top of my head (I'm on Kindle so I can't check) is I bought a house and I got my eyes checked. Sigh. 

So my 2019 resolutions will be to work on my 2018 list. I do have a good start delivering though. Year 2018 just went by too fast for me to catch up. That's my story...

Darn kindle and its spell check. I don't know why I keep trying to post on this thing. It's supposed to say "de cluttering" up there not delivering. I didn't deliver this year. :girlneener:

Edited by Jeepers
Kindle again
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'd say buying a house near kids/Grson in another state......and getting a drivers license in that state qualifies as A GREAT BIG DEAL, Jeepers.  Plus all those bags delivered to trash or thrift stores.  We all know you didn't spend 2018 sitting around drinking iced tea.  B)  

MtRider  :lol:  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, ahem, I did have my share of sweet tea this year. :blush:

And bon bons. :D

Getting Indiana license did turn out to be a pretty big deal after all. Salvation Army scored pretty well too. I'm still rolling over 2018'a list. Especially since its already made out and all. 

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

I got a start on several things.

1. Lost 27 pounds (measured from a shocking revelation on Dec. 13).  Plan to lose 50 total by December 13 this year.
  2. Got the repairs done and rental/utility situation straightened out with the old house.  This should become a positive instead of a negative cash stream as of the end of this month--not counting the property tax, which will take most of the next two months' rent to recoup.
  3. Arranged to cut back to part time at the office in January 2020, meaning I need to work at paying off yesterday's bills with today's income.  I had been working effectively part time by heavy use of my gobs of accumulated leave time, but someone delicately mentioned that my intermittent-FMLA status had long expired, so I need to work at this another way.
  4. In December, I am technically retiring, but entering the Delayed Retirement Option Program, DROP, which means that I stay at my desk for up to five years, earning paychecks, while the employer banks the pension benefits I would have received--and hands them to me in a lump sum when I finally go home.  After three and a half years, I should have enough in DROP funds to pay off what's left of the mortgage on the new place, and that also will be conveniently close to Birthday 62, which gets me into the Social Security early retirement zone.  I absolutely need to stay at the job at least that long.  Every month after that will be enhancement.  Assuming things hold together that long, of course.
  5. The guys are coming today to plant more of my coddled baby fruit trees.  A couple dozen more  need to remain coddled (albeit up-potted) a while longer.  I just missed one window for joining the local growers' distribution network, and there won't be another chance until August.  I have that marked on my August calendar.  In about three years, I should be getting a sizeable fraction of my income from sales of fruit. And I don't have to sell it.  I just have to anticipate ripening dates a week ahead of time, write up ads, and deliver the proper amount (however much the customers have ordered from the distributor's website) to the distributor once a week.  
  6. I'm getting back into beekeeping this year, too.  One reason I quit was the sitting in those awful folding chairs once a month at the beekeepers' meeting, at the end of a long day in that chair at work.  
  • Like 5

I love it when I read about other peoples long term goals! Kudos on your thinking ahead Ambergris.

Insurance is such a motivating factor these days. Even if a person could retire early, buying your own insurance is out of most peoples reach. I put off going on Social Security as long as I could until I was 66. It wasn't always easy and I got pretty impatient at times but I'm glad I did now. I'm going to be counting on every dollar as the years roll by. Maybe, just maybe by the time you start collecting it the interest rates will go up. You can take S.S. for a year and then pay it all back and start all over again at your higher S.S. amount. That way you can pocket the interest earned. It's a one time deal. I considered doing that but I ended up not needing to. Plus the interest rates are so low it wouldn't have really paid off.

That growers distribution network sounds like a sweet deal. Especially the not having to go out and try to sell it part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1