MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Flu 2018

TheCG

Blaaaaaa............  :fever:

Nasty stuff.  It's taken over 2 weeks to recover and we are still dealing with the residual cough.....  Ick.

Started after DH's relative insisted on hugging....  grrrrr.......  We got home to notice a lot of people walking around coughing, not covering their mouth....  grrrr......  

We got it by New Year's day...........  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, TheCG said:

Alabama is talking state of emergency: http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2018/01/surgeries_rescheduled_schools.html

I don't *think* it's really hit our area yet, but I'm about to go through threads in here to figure out what I need to have on hand if someone in our family gets it.

I believe that Stephanie's area has closed 2 or 3 Elementary Schools!

I heard it's really bad this year. Very bad. I was watching one of The Patriot Nurse's video's and she was talking about it. She mentioned something about the flu shot this year was only 30% effective. I guess they misjudged the type of strain or something. Don't know.

She also said there is a shortage of IV bags mainly because of the hurricane in Puerto Rico.

I've watched a few other videos and they say the same thing too.  

yes they did miss the guess this year.  Austrailia, which has their season before us, had it really bad.  Also, there are different strains floating around the world.  UK has multiple strains going on, I think.  Including one they call the Aussie flu. 

And a nasty cold virus is laying folks out flat too.  My brother had that one....recovering finally. 

Oranges were on sale this week and DH got a big bag.  Normally I don't like bothering with the picky/messy things.  But they're looking real good to me just now.  We're already taking some of the stuff we use to build up immune system....JIC.  Got a couple 'can't-miss' appointments coming up soon....

MtRider :unsure: 

On 1/12/2018 at 3:48 PM, Annarchy said:

Blaaaaaa............  :fever:

Nasty stuff.  It's taken over 2 weeks to recover and we are still dealing with the residual cough.....  Ick.

Started after DH's relative insisted on hugging....  grrrrr.......  We got home to notice a lot of people walking around coughing, not covering their mouth....  grrrr......  

We got it by New Year's day...........  

For that lingering cough...remember...dry/suppress it, wet/expel it.  We found that the old "honey, lemon and whiskey" was an excellent help, in addition to our home brew of Elderberry syrup.

• Thanks 1
On 1/12/2018 at 8:01 PM, Jeepers said:

I heard it's really bad this year. Very bad. I was watching one of The Patriot Nurse's video's and she was talking about it. She mentioned something about the flu shot this year was only 30% effective. I guess they misjudged the type of strain or something. Don't know.

She also said there is a shortage of IV bags mainly because of the hurricane in Puerto Rico.

I've watched a few other videos and they say the same thing too.  

Watched her video too.  I heard the IV bags were also being depleted because flu victims were needing a lot too.  People in our area are "dropping like flies".  Why?  BECAUSE PEOPLE WON'T STAY HOME!  Employers should tell their people stay home and get sick pay, but many won't.  Remember...wash, wash, wash your hands.  I keep a bar of pine tar soap on our bathroom sink soap holder and that's what we use (NO to sanitizers!) to wash our hands.  We don't shake hands and we don't hug other people.  Sorry...love ya, BUT :-)  Glad we got all of our shopping done.  We haven't been around anybody for about 2 weeks.  Mr. did go help a friend move some stuff (he's having to move into an assised living apartment) but stayed at arms length...because he was "stuffy".  I really regretted that they called Mr to help...but whatcha gonna do?  I stayed home.  There were several others to help also.

I'm keeping a bottle of Oil of Oregano (essential oil) on our counter and we take a "whiff" in each nostrile a 2 or 3 times a day.  Some of you might want to study how potent it is in fighting sinusitis, bronchitis, ear infections and toe nail fungus...not to mention other good stuff :-)  Did our volunteer work this morning and hardly anybody showed up because everyone was out sick...that's why we've been so faithful to pay attention to our herbs, oils, vitamins, supplements and spices.  Our country is in a deep do-do state for the flue!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, The WE2's said:

I'm keeping a bottle of Oil of Oregano (essential oil) on our counter and we take a "whiff" in each nostrile a 2 or 3 times a day.  Some of you might want to study how potent it is in fighting sinusitis, bronchitis, ear infections and toe nail fungus...not to mention other good stuff :-)  Did our volunteer work this morning and hardly anybody showed up because everyone was out sick...that's why we've been so faithful to pay attention to our herbs, oils, vitamins, supplements and spices.  Our country is in a deep do-do state for the flue!

I have a bottle of high-strength oregano oil supplements ready in case I need them.  Making sure the kids and I at least get Vitamin C every day (hubby refuses to take it or anything else...and is probably sick).  I'm also attempting to keep the sugar mostly out of our diet, as it can greatly reduce immunity, but the kids might be a lost cause between grandparents, church, school, and their mother's house.

I ran out in November and was going to pick some up when we were in TX, but we never went out shopping. Had to reorder on-line. I have been taking the oregano oil soft gels for a week and the coughs and congestion is easing up, thankfully. 

I like the oil for a lot of different things.   :thumbs:

• Like 1

Things I keep on hand during the winter:

Eucalyptus Capsules

Neti Sticks

Elderberry Syrup

Vitamin C

Probiotics (I think my current bottle has 55M in each dose!)

Supplements from a professional line that you have to be a practitioner to order:

Oregano oil capsules

Heavy duty enzymes - can help reduce general inflammation if taken away from food, help digestion when taken with food

Supplement targeted at brain inflammation

I should add Oscillococcinum and/or some of the other homeopathics, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I also have a stash of various teas (Yogi's Breathe Deep is a favorite when we're stuffy) and herbal matter to make teas.

1 hour ago, TheCG said:

I should add Oscillococcinum and/or some of the other homeopathics, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Me either but I need to get some just in case!

I keep 

Fire Cider (one ready and one making since it takes a month)

Elderberry syrup (and brandy)

Hydrogen peroxide (to gargle with and to put in ears)

Lemon and honey (for cough)

DH uses alka seltzer plus but I haven't taken on e in years.  

I have some of the *oscill.....(can't say it let alone spell it)  stashed away. I've never had to use it though. If I remember correctly (:008Laughing:) it was sort of expensive.

I put peroxide in my ears occasionally too.

I have some lemon/honey cough drops that I would use in a cup of hot tea.

I must have had all of the major crud that goes around because I rarely get sick in the winter. My immune system must be pretty good. Thank You Lord.

Sometimes I think that since I'm allergic to antibiotics God sort of protects me in the creeping crud department. Now just watch...I'll  come down with the walking pneumonia, bronchitis, and a dose of the strep throat when I wake up in the morning for being haughty.

* I call it oxycillan.  :happy0203:   

• Like 1
On 1/25/2018 at 10:24 AM, TheCG said:

Heavy duty enzymes - can help reduce general inflammation if taken away from food, help digestion when taken with food

Supplement targeted at brain inflammation

Any brand names for these?

My throat hurts, my head hurts, and I slept like crap (partly because I was trying NOT to sleep facing hubby and infecting him with plague, but that's my normal position).

The kids...just have a sore throat.  They're drinking hot tea and getting ready for school.  They're going to be told that if it suddenly hurts worse, their heads start hurting, or they start being the only person feeling cold, they need to go see the nurse.

• Sad 1

Still not convinced that this isn't just allergy-related crud.  No temps, no other symptoms (in the kids - mine can all be explained by exhaustion), etc.  Still hitting all the supplemental stuff, just in case.  I think I'm going to get dressed and make a run into town for more supplements and easy to fix foods.  The kids asked me this morning what's for dinner - uh, that depends on how I feel when we get that far.  It might be leftovers and random veggies from the freezer.  You never know.

• Like 1

I'm good this morning!  Very slight cough that seems to be gone right now.

Last night, I gargled with peroxide and put a small dropper of same in both ears and lay down (one at a time LOL).  Both ears fizzed a lot (usually just one fizzes).  Going to eat something and take a shot of the fire cider.  If I do have to leave the house, it won't be until after noon.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be flu for you CG!

• Like 1

I'm still just having the throat fun. 

Decided that perhaps I should fix something that will be easy to eat if it gets worse, so I now have 10 mason jars full of lentil-rice soup to toss into the freezer as soon as it cools some more.  Picked up another loaf of bread and some hamburger buns, plus the stuff to make mac & cheese and chicken alfredo.  Even if I go down for the count, SOMEBODY can figure out how to feed the rest of the family.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1