MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

AFTER THE CRASH (SUGAR, not auto)

I copied this from my FB page where I keep track of my progress on my ketogenic diet (https://www.facebook.com/ketobetic/) and its effect on my diabetes (Type II). It was quite an interesting day!

----------------------------------------------------

AFTER THE CRASH
(sugar--NOT auto)

As I have posted previously, I'd decided to split my Lantus dosage into 2 injections: breakfast (50 units) and dinner (also 50 units) to try and achieve better long lasting glucose numbers. As a result, I started waking up with the opposite of "Dawn Phenomenon" -- being hypoglycemic (one morning it was only 66!)

So, I decided to adjust the evening dosage down to 40 units. This morning's result was a slightly higher but still hypoglycemic reading of 77. I ate some peanut butter drizzled with honey (thought that was "healthier" than just plain sugar) and my glucose went up to 133. I thought that was a fairly safe number and decided to inject my morning dose of 50 units.

I must have somehow injected it directly into a blood vessel instead of into fat, because I CRASHED........I CRASHED HARD!!!

Within less than 10 minutes I was flushed, dizzy, disoriented, and seeing spots in front of my eyes. I was barely able to see to put the test strip into the meter, and somehow I was able to get the blood drop onto the strip (it was difficult with those d**m spots obscuring my view). It was even harder to read the meter............. 41 !!!

I called my neighbor and she came right over. She called 9-1-1 for me and took my dog to her apt so she wouldn't be in the way. When help arrived I think it was the WHOLE dept! I must have counted about 10 responders!!!!!!!!!! (one exclamation mark for each responder :D )

I remember them asking me which hospital I wanted to go to but I was incoherent and had a difficult time letting them know. I also remember trying to let them know where my meds were. I don't remember a thing after that!

• * I don't remember them quizzing my neighbor about things she didn't know--am I allergic to anything, how old I was, etc, etc, etc. (She told me all about it later.)
  • * I don't remember them bringing in the gurney or getting me on it.
  • * I don't remember the ambulance ride to the hospital. (Even when I had been kicked in the head by a horse way back in '74 I remembered the ambulance ride!)
  • * I don't remember them getting me out of my clothes and into a hospital gown.
  • * I don't remember them putting all of the leads on for the heart monitor.
  • * I don't remember the MRI (or was it a CT?) they did (checking for stroke damage, maybe?)
  • * I don't remember them putting in TWO "IV" lines.
  • * I don't remember looking at them with open eyes and not being able to answer their questions. I didn't know that my glucose had dropped to 33 !!! (I would put 33 exclamation marks, but that would be over-kill, don't you think. :P )

When I started to come back around, it was almost 3:30 (about 3 hrs later). I can remember them asking me my name, how old I was, did I know what day it was, what year it was etc. They brought me some apple juice, and then a little bit later some orange juice, some apple slices, and a turkey sandwich. I told them I didn't want my sugars to soar; they said they weren't worried about me being a little bit "sweet" today, the were just trying to get my glucose up. (I must admit, I DID enjoy picking at the roll the sandwich was on, and it had been a long time since I had had some fresh apples.)

Another problem presented itself though when it was time to go home. Although my purse had made it to the hospital with me, my cell phone wasn't in it! And I couldn't find the printed address/phone number list that I THOUGHT was in it. :( I had to call the emergency number for my apt complex and ask them to get word to my neighbor if she could come pick me up. :/ (Which they did, thankfully.)

Another thing. When I got transported to the hospital, I wasn't wearing any shoes, so all I had on my feet was the non-slip socks they put on me at the hospital. I also didn't have my sweater because I had taken it off at home due to being flushed and warm. I had to wrap myself in one of the blankets I had taken from the ER. I'm glad it wasn't raining!

LESSONS LEARNED

1.  Make sure my medical info is readily available - post it on the fridge.
  2.  Make sure my friends and neighbors know where it is.
  3.  Make sure my cell phone OR a printed copy of addresses and phone numbers is IN MY PURSE.
  4.  Make sure my neighbor gets my keys -- so she can lock my door after the gurney leaves, and so she can get back in to take the dog out etc if I stay longer than expected. AND, so she can drive my car to the hospital to pick me up.

(BTW-- I am skipping my evening injection of Lantus tonight, and possibly even the one in the morning.

• Like 3

WHOAAAA!  That must have been quite an experience, Midnight!  :o 

I'm blissfully unaware of the numbers of diabetes/hypoglycemia.......  so far. 

However,  I've begun tapering off the sugars I consume.  It gets spiraled out of control during some seasons of life....  :buttercup:  ....and I have to hit the brakes and pay more attention!  I'm not even doing it Cold Turkey.  I still have 3 portions of sugar-something each day.  Like one cookie or bit of ice cream.  BUT.....since I've been filling up with sugars, I now have to increase other things to get the calorie count.  .....and I've not been balancing well.  Getting those spots and dizzy and heat-flush and such too.  [in the middle of my snow removal last nite]  Hearing your tale.....yikes!  But I'm not on any meds that can cause that elevator to crash and burn THAT fast......  At least I hope I can't have THAT reaction! 

:pray:  that you get the balance you're looking for and be able to maintain!!!! 

Good lessons learned on UNexpected trip to ER!  Whooooo!

MtRider  :wacko:

Oh wow. I'm so glad you are okay!

Thanks for the reminders at the end of your post. I don't know anyone's phone number. They are all programed into my phone. I do have a copy of them in my car and purse though. Also a copy of the meds I take and my allergies.

21 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Thanks for the reminders at the end of your post. I don't know anyone's phone number. They are all programed into my phone. I do have a copy of them in my car and purse though. Also a copy of the meds I take and my allergies.

It's good to have that in your purse, BUT.................................First Responders DON'T KNOW THAT and may not be able to find it in time to use the info to evaluate your immediate condition for the emergency they are responding to! That's why it is a good idea to post the info on your fridge (they look there),  let someone else know where it is, and/or wear a medical alert bracelet/necklace. :fever::wacko::banghead:

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Consider asking your dr for a glucagon prescription.  It's an injectable chemical designed to counteract a deep low sugar event by forcing the liver to dump all its glucose at once.  After DH suffered a 37 one night recently (thank God I woke up for it!), we got a glucagon shot to have around.  Beware though they are expensive!  But it can save your life when nothing else will.  Typically though someone other than the patient does the injection.