MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Ambergris

Grey Cat Garth

I'm playing with various names for the new place.  Garth is synonymous with "yard" but feels bigger and has retained the sense of a walled in space, which "yard" has mostly lost.

The county extension has referred me to the division of forestry to assess the planted pines.  I've made a three-page list of the trees/bushes/vines already on the land, or in cutting bundles in the fridge, or in moveable containers waiting to get over there.  Three pages.  Half a page of citrus alone.  It's plenty to keep track of, right?

So naturally yesterday I bought grafting cutters and tape, a ten-pack of highly dwarfing and fireblight-resistant apple rootstock, and six kinds of scionwood for apples that frequently/sometimes fruit even down here.  This coming weekend is going to be a busy one.

The quinces and pomegranates and so on from the wishlist will have to wait for another paycheck.

• Like 4

Cool!  I've been waiting to hear how your new place is, Ambergris. 

MtRider  ...exciting!  :happy0203:    ....course I'm also envious of fruit and other food plants!  Some day.....  :pray: 

• Like 1

The azaleas started blooming.  Now, I have an unexplained aversion to the neon-purple/magenta azaleas I grew up with.  When I dreamed of an acid wasteland where flowers grew in not-dead rotting bodies, it was these purple azaleas I saw everywhere.  I had planned on digging out (i.e., having my son dig out) every scrap of azalea.  But they started blooming.  Most of the ones lining the long driveway are that color, and the big one by the barn, and two by the house, but some are actually pretty.  Several are white with small, sometimes double flowers.  Others are a deep cherry-pink and are fully double, so that they look like small roses from a little distance.  There are some apricot ones, not something that creeps me out but not something I'd keep around and risk getting "mad honey" for.  Or risk poisoning livestock with.  Several are bicolored, streaky cream and a soft peachy pink, and I don't know whether I strongly dislike or somewhat like them--they are interesting, at least.  I will probably get rid of them for safety.  Same with the uninteresting peachy/flesh-colored/soft orange ones.  I know I want to keep the white and cherry-colored ones, maybe moving them out to the fenceline for privacy, and that might be more than plenty for azaleas.  I will probably also keep the plain crayon-pink ones. 

Today hung thrift-store curtains in the windows that didn't have blinds and picked up a few trash bags full of stuff I don't want.  (Also picked up a nice mid-sized pressure canner complete with weight for under $10.)  There are a lot of jars and bottles that have something in them that is plainly not what the label says.  All of that will be going to the next Hazardous Waste Saturday collection day at the county dump.

The floor guy is at a funeral this weekend, but he might start work as early as Wednesday.  As soon as the new floor is down, moving can begin in earnest.

The gate is not working properly.  I might be using the remote incorrectly, or the mechanism might be bad.  But when I got there this morning, it was standing open.  Nothing seemed missing, actually, although I could not find the tape measure I was pretty sure was on a certain shelf at the front (open) side of the barn.  This is going to make me anxious about leaving the PODS unit there to unload at leisure.

I keep stumbling across new little treasures.  Today I found a usable handsaw with a blade shape unlike I've ever seen before, kind of like a back saw and kind of like a Japanese saw.  I've tried to look it up on the internet but haven't seen one just like it.  I need to look closer at the teeth when I go back tomorrow.

• Like 3

Three purple-flowering azaleas have hit the burn ring.  They should be dry enough to burn in a week.

Laminate Saw.

Here it is.  Per Lowe's: This specialty saw is designed to produce smooth cuts on hardened surfaces such as wood laminates, without chipping. It features a rounded front Cutting Edge for beginning plunge cut applications and high impact plastic handle for secure grip and long life.

• Like 3

Old tools can be so cool!  Sounds like you are having quite a treasure hunt, along with the search/destroy mission on purple azaleas....I look forward to hearing what new treasures Azalea Slayer finds (sounds like a video game name, doesn't it?)

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

:008Laughing:  Today I found parts of a motion-sensor based security system.  Oh, and did I mention that someone apparently renovated an RV there?  I have found almost enough pieces to identify what it was.  Reminds me of one of our scenarios, really.

Part of the flooring material was delivered, eventually.  I will have to talk to the manager about the missing transition pieces (for doorways) when the store re-opens tomorrow.  Installation should commence tomorrow, if all goes well.  

How does the name Rosegard sound?  Like Midgard, but with roses.

• Like 2

I’m excited to listen in on your exciting adventure!

• Like 1

Today's small treasure found:  A box with a couple of dozen skeins of embroidery floss in it.  I haven't embroidered since the boys were small.  Maybe this is a hint I should try it again.

Carpet removal started today.  Finally!

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 2

I used to embroider pillow cases. Way back in the day, you could buy the cases pre-stamped on the end. They were so pretty. Wonder if they still make those? I have a few pictures on my wall that I cross stitched too. I used to really enjoy needle work.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2018 at 4:29 PM, Ambergris said:

I will have to talk to the manager about the missing transition pieces (for doorways) when the store re-opens tomorrow.  I

Tomorrow is "President's Day." I hope whoever you need to deal with is open!!!

The 18-year-old pines already got harvested, but there are some replacement saplings in place.  This should be enough to carry my ag exemIMG_20180219_173854778.thumb.jpg.af4d1567115a3fb7c56bfe9f680893ca.jpgption.   

IMG_20180219_173841844.jpg

IMG_20180128_102806580.jpg

• Like 2

Beyond the gate in the top pic is a goat yard and a goat shed made out of the back end of a pickup truck. Bottom pic is the future orchard behind the hog-wire fence in the middle pic.  Did I mention the place is perimeter fenced AND cross-fenced?  And that it comes with two cats?

• Like 4

:bounce:  Wow.....that is reallly neat to see it.  I like the pillars on the porch.  Just think what all that will look like when the season greens up more fully.    :lois: 

Course....there wouldn't be any slithery critters in any of those lovely places....right?  :unsure: 

So....is that kitty the "Gray Cat"?

MtRider   .....snowing all day so a peep of green and flower color looks good to me!  :)

• Like 2

It's the gray cat, and I'm the gray cat, and I'm bringing three gray cats with me.  And all cats are gray in the dark.

• Haha 2

What a lovely place!  

I am excited for you.  Hope all the kitties get along.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I think I'm going with Rosegard.  The t->g in grey cat garth is too hard to slide off the tongue.

• Like 2

Wow Amber! You have pillars! It looks beautiful.

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.