MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Ambergris

Grey Cat Garth

The shipment from Isons Nursery came in today at lunch:

1 Jerusalem artichoke root, unnamed kind, hopefully larger and less knobbly than my last kind. Those took forever to scrub or peel.

2 different plum hybrids

1 plum (good old Burbank!)

2 different elderberries for the far end of the pasture nearest the swamp

2 different rabbiteyes

1 scuppernong, hopefully not one of the kinds I am already rooting cuttings of

1 quince

2 different pomegranates

2 different low-chill apples, and 1 crab apple that might be low chill

Hopefully, they will all perk up and thrive here. (I really couldn't justify the expense, but I really really wanted these.)  If they don't thrive, we're going to see a fairly pricey learning experience. These were not the two-inch rooted cuttings I got elsewhere last month.  I need to have a load of mushroom compost delivered, because buying enough bags of potting soil for these big bruisers would cost way more than a truckload would, and digging up enough dirt for these is not going to happen this week.

As for the rooted cuttings, all but one is going strong.

The tomatoes are blooming, right there in their little transplant pots.

Still trying to find someone to bush-hog the pasture so I can see what's there.  One thing I know--the place is LOADED with soda apples (isn't that an enticing name for a viciously thorny poisonous rapidly spreading weed?) and I'm going to have to spend HOURS with a lawn torch burning them out.

The new reclining loveseat is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.  Couldn't afford the whole suite, but this feels wonderful on my back.

The sweet potatoes should arrive in mid-April. I'm also expecting the last nursery shipment, with a load of super-dwarfing apple rootstock, in April. 

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3

There are two feral cats.  I'm calling the piebald one Trudie for St. Gertrude, patron saint of cat lovers.  The gray one looks like a Max, from Where The Wild Things Are.  His underfur glows golden when the sunlight hits at a slant, like he's secretly wearing a king's golden robes.

• Like 4

The shipment from Raintree Nursery--super-dwarfing apple rootstock--has arrived.  In using it, I'm committing to a lifetime of staking, pruning, and caring for the trees.  But they will be MY SIZE!

• Like 4

Should be getting a dozen rose cuttings this week.

I'm probably going to lose most what I've left at the old house.  It's getting harder and harder to go out there and see anything worthwhile, despite there being furniture and all.  This is as much emotional as physical.  I don't want to be there anymore.  I hear the late DX's voice everywhere.   "Look at this, Babydoll..."

• Sad 3

I'm so sorry Amber  :hug3:

I know what you are saying. When my aunt died her son tried to live in the same house. He said he, "Saw my mother in every corner."

Not physically but emotionally. He could remember all the little things she used to do and say there. They were sweet memories but he really needed a break away from them before he became consumed by them.

I pray for a clean slate for you, a breath of fresh air, a peaceful mind and a joyful heart while moving forward with only a sweet glimpse back now and then.  :pray:

• Like 2

I recently ordered two batches of plants  off eBay and forgot to put my new address on them.  The mailman caught one and hand-delivered it to me, but the other might spend a week in the transfer station.  The one I got was mostly very tender plants from Wellspring, the home of the two-inch-high starter plants.  When Wellspring plants take off, they REALLY take off.  Wish me luck.

The one my mailman didn't catch was rose cuttings from southern Louisiana, which has climate challenges very like my area's.  Wouldn't it be nice to root enough cuttings to replace every poisonous azalea in this yard with a lovely shrub rose?  The roses in place include at least two "knock-out" shrub roses.  I've ordered cuttings of a Buck rose named "Quietness" and an unidentified cherry-red shrub rose.  I'd like to order one called "Marmalade Skies," but not on this paycheck (or next paycheck).  I guess I need to keep watching for sales of cuttings, which are very cheap.  After all, if I'm going to name the place Rosegard, I do need to fill it with roses.

• Like 4

The rose cuttings arrived and I didn't do anything with them.  :(

I HATE wasting stuff cuz I just could not get to something in time.  Be it food in fridge or whatever....  :sigh:  But...sometimes ya just can't fit one more thing in...

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The beau came by this morning and cut down the half-dozen gorgeous jasmine bushes in full bloom.  Had to happen.  The satsumas that were here when I arrived are very unhappy plants, and jasmine carries tons of pests and diseases that affect citrus.

Still...jasmine...

On a brighter note, topped the tallest citrus (cut down some of the branches/trunks that went way above my reach).  Let the regrowth begin!

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.